Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Josherino)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Chokes McGee posted:

I am not a doctor at all so ignore my hilariously terrible advice but given the hallucinations I'm concerned about schizophrenia

Even without that they really are there to help, tell them what's going on and they might be able to get you back on track :(

the hallucinations sound like a manifestation of mild HPPD from the effects of the DXM in the nyquil, i wouldn't be concerned about them at all. they happen with most hallucinogens to some degree or another with many people and go away eventually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Mordor She Wrote posted:

But yeah if Bernie doesn't win the primary, the literal world have zero chance of survival so that'll be when I just give up entirely, gooooo Bernie. (that and my work life insurance policy will be past the suicide clause so that my normal brained girlfriend can get 40k to play around with after I kick the bucket)

You really need to decenter America from your politics and decenter politics from your life imo

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordor She Wrote posted:

But yeah if Bernie doesn't win the primary, the literal world have zero chance of survival so that'll be when I just give up entirely, gooooo Bernie. (that and my work life insurance policy will be past the suicide clause so that my normal brained girlfriend can get 40k to play around with after I kick the bucket)

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not. You know rationally that it isn't reasonable, but suicidal ideation is a hell of a thing. Remove potential methods of self-harm or take yourself away from them, tell someone trusted and if you can't talk to a help line or a professional, spend time in public if possible, and remember that suicidal urges pass sooner than you think. You can also call a psych or a help line or some mental health resource now, since you've taken the important step of identifying your ideation, and they can help you set up a crisis plan and some coping exercises, and assist you in stopping this from reaching a dangerous point. You aren't alone and there are rational steps you can take to make yourself safer.

You can get through it but don't rationalize your thoughts. It's easy to do and just remember that it's never rational or reasonable, and there is no logical or ethical argument for it.
The idea that you should kill yourself to avoid future pain is just maladaptive thinking. It's essentially just a very short-sighted utilitarianism.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Chokes McGee posted:

I really really REALLY recommend against combining a gun with increasing suicidal intentions. its probably the last thing in the world anyone who suffers from long term depression needs, because it makes successful suicide attempts go right through the roof. If I had access to that instead of a hoodie and ineptitude I wouldnt be posting this right now.

Also just a 40 minute commute both ways broke me, that sounds really gross. is there a job you can get thats closer, or (if youre a computer toucher) work remotely? Spending three hours of your life every day looking at a bumper is no good.

Agreed about the gun, though its something that seems almost worth the risk lately. A small measure of progress I suppose is that I no longer have suicidal feelings attached to crippling self-worth issues, just feelings of "the world may not be a place I can exist in safely anymore" which I never had beforehand when I dealt with an attempt in my teens. Honestly, at this point if 2020 goes bad, I cant see any reasons to stick around- most of the friends I used to have wound up moving away over the years, and I dont have anyone close to keep me around. I really want this to not be the case, but I want to be mentally prepared for the worst.

The commute is extremely soul-crushing. I came off a more normal commute working on my previous gig (that was a lot more fun) and this is probably one of the worst I've ever done- needing to drive right through downtown LA and sit on some of the most congested freeways- or deal with 15 miles of stoplights and traffic on side streets. I did look into working remotely but our setup requires everyone to be present for security reasons.

Incidentally, since I wrote the earlier post I've had a chance to read more of the thread. The previous gig I worked on was "Shazam!" (vfx) and I want to say it really lifted my mood to read that a number of posters felt that it brightened their day. There are so many people who work on something like that, but its nice to have been able to in some fraction of a way, contribute to making someone's day brighter.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh
So, I have a uterus. I'm of childbearing age. I live in the United States.

I do not want to go through pregnancy/childbirth, and I'm honestly scared I would kill myself if I ever found myself trapped with a pregnancy I couldn't abort. I've had nightmares about it since I was like twelve.

The news has been really hard to handle this week.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Frog Act posted:

the hallucinations sound like a manifestation of mild HPPD from the effects of the DXM in the nyquil, i wouldn't be concerned about them at all. they happen with most hallucinogens to some degree or another with many people and go away eventually

holy poo poo, I just read up on hppd and that's pretty much exactly what its like, huh. Warning to everyone else don't chug a bottle and a half of nyquil.

FactsAreUseless posted:

The idea that you should kill yourself to avoid future pain is just maladaptive thinking. It's essentially just a very short-sighted utilitarianism.

I appreciate the positive comments and I'm not saying this to be dismissive but I just don't think there's like a long term that doesn't suck any less than now does, but I'm also slightly uncreative so maybe I just can't envision any sort of positive outcomes.

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Okan170 posted:

Incidentally, since I wrote the earlier post I've had a chance to read more of the thread. The previous gig I worked on was "Shazam!" (vfx) and I want to say it really lifted my mood to read that a number of posters felt that it brightened their day. There are so many people who work on something like that, but its nice to have been able to in some fraction of a way, contribute to making someone's day brighter.

For what it's worth, I thought a lot of the visual effects in Shazam were really cool, the smog demon thing was rad.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I appreciate the positive comments and I'm not saying this to be dismissive but I just don't think there's like a long term that doesn't suck any less than now does, but I'm also slightly uncreative so maybe I just can't envision any sort of positive outcomes.
I'm not saying there is, I'm saying that committing suicide in response to those conditions is irrational. It's a mental illness. Maladaptive thinking. A cognitive error. Don't confuse right to die in the face of terminal illness for suicide being a rational response to world conditions. You can't address your suicidal ideation only be understanding that it's irrational, but the sooner you stop rationalizing it the sooner you'll be able to successfully get help. And you can do it.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Okan170 posted:

Agreed about the gun, though its something that seems almost worth the risk lately. A small measure of progress I suppose is that I no longer have suicidal feelings attached to crippling self-worth issues, just feelings of "the world may not be a place I can exist in safely anymore" which I never had beforehand when I dealt with an attempt in my teens. Honestly, at this point if 2020 goes bad, I cant see any reasons to stick around- most of the friends I used to have wound up moving away over the years, and I dont have anyone close to keep me around. I really want this to not be the case, but I want to be mentally prepared for the worst.

The commute is extremely soul-crushing. I came off a more normal commute working on my previous gig (that was a lot more fun) and this is probably one of the worst I've ever done- needing to drive right through downtown LA and sit on some of the most congested freeways- or deal with 15 miles of stoplights and traffic on side streets. I did look into working remotely but our setup requires everyone to be present for security reasons.

hey I just wanted to say that I've lived in LA for a while and it can be really hard so I get where you're coming from. If you ever want to talk a fellow goon who lives here just PM me or whatever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

So, I have a uterus. I'm of childbearing age. I live in the United States.

I do not want to go through pregnancy/childbirth, and I'm honestly scared I would kill myself if I ever found myself trapped with a pregnancy I couldn't abort. I've had nightmares about it since I was like twelve.

The news has been really hard to handle this week.
The best thing you can do for your mental health right now is to take as much control of your reproductive health as you can. Talk to your doctor, find out your options, and if they won't support your desire never to have a child then find a better doctor. There's still a lot you can do to make sure you have control of your reproductive system. And, depending on the state you're in, you can talk to advocacy organizations about creating a plan to access abortion in another state or even country. Things are bad, and there's no perfect solution, but you still have actions to take.

Remember that it's not over yet. There's still a lot you can do, and once you get control over your own reproductive health you can focus on protecting other women's right to own their bodies.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

FactsAreUseless posted:

The best thing you can do for your mental health right now is to take as much control of your reproductive health as you can. Talk to your doctor, find out your options, and if they won't support your desire never to have a child then find a better doctor. There's still a lot you can do to make sure you have control of your reproductive system. And, depending on the state you're in, you can talk to advocacy organizations about creating a plan to access abortion in another state or even country. Things are bad, and there's no perfect solution, but you still have actions to take.

Remember that it's not over yet. There's still a lot you can do, and once you get control over your own reproductive health you can focus on protecting other women's right to own their bodies.

I've got an IUD and my husband always uses condoms (and he is looking into getting a vasectomy). But I still get paranoid. I know it's irrational.

I wish I could just get an elective tubal ligation, but since I'm under 30 and don't have kids, I doubt a doctor would do it. I'll keep researching!

edit: I think it's also just the blatant dehumanization that's getting me down. I don't like the constant reminders that a significant portion of the population sees me as a potential incubator, not a person with my own desires and needs, you know?

ghost emoji has issued a correction as of 22:08 on May 16, 2019

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

ghost emoji posted:

edit: I think it's also just the blatant dehumanization that's getting me down. I don't like the constant reminders that a significant portion of the population sees me as a potential incubator, not a person with my own desires and needs, you know?

I'm donating to like 5 other causes right now because I have no idea how to help anything other than throwing money at it, but your post reminded me I intended to this earlier.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

Mordor She Wrote posted:

I'm donating to like 5 other causes right now because I have no idea how to help anything other than throwing money at it, but your post reminded me I intended to this earlier.

Thanks! I really should get a monthly donation going, too.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

I've got an IUD and my husband always uses condoms (and he is looking into getting a vasectomy). But I still get paranoid. I know it's irrational.

I wish I could just get an elective tubal ligation, but since I'm under 30 and don't have kids, I doubt a doctor would do it. I'll keep researching!
Getting your tubes tied is definitely hard [note: basing this on my girlfriend's efforts] because a lot of doctors are misogynist and will all do the "but are you sure" thing and then just refuse, but if you have the health and the money to do it safely, and it is what you want, then just keep looking. You could try a local PP and see if they can refer you.

ghost emoji
Mar 11, 2016

oooOooOOOooh

FactsAreUseless posted:

Getting your tubes tied is definitely hard [note: basing this on my girlfriend's efforts] because a lot of doctors are misogynist and will all do the "but are you sure" thing and then just refuse, but if you have the health and the money to do it safely, and it is what you want, then just keep looking. You could try a local PP and see if they can refer you.

That's a good idea - there's a couple of Planned Parenthoods nearby, so if the one I got my IUD at can't help, I can try the other ones. This helps a lot, thank you!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

ghost emoji posted:

That's a good idea - there's a couple of Planned Parenthoods nearby, so if the one I got my IUD at can't help, I can try the other ones. This helps a lot, thank you!
I can't and won't recommend it because I'm not a doctor and I don't know enough about their safety, but there are likely ways to get some abortifacient drugs to keep at home. I suspect networks to get these drugs to women will begin emerging, which isn't ideal but does offer a potential backup in case of normal pregnancies* caught early enough. You could ask PP about legal at-home options, a lot of early stage abortions they just give you the pills and send you home so maybe you can get an emergency backup kit. Remember that your first goal is safe access to abortion, legality has to take a back seat when the laws are broken.

*ones that don't require unusual surgical action to terminate e.g. ectopic ones

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
fau killin it in this thread :thurman:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Chokes McGee posted:

fau killin it in this thread :thurman:
People just don't realize how many resources and how much information is available to them. Capitalism makes it tough for people to realize they can still get help even if they don't have money.

edit: Worse still, it's easy to forget that 1. you deserve help and 2. people will still help you when our socioeconomic system is defined by cruelty, but there are a surprising number of people trying to carve out a slightly happier society among their friends and neighbors and communities.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's not. You know rationally that it isn't reasonable, but suicidal ideation is a hell of a thing. Remove potential methods of self-harm or take yourself away from them, tell someone trusted and if you can't talk to a help line or a professional, spend time in public if possible, and remember that suicidal urges pass sooner than you think. You can also call a psych or a help line or some mental health resource now, since you've taken the important step of identifying your ideation, and they can help you set up a crisis plan and some coping exercises, and assist you in stopping this from reaching a dangerous point. You aren't alone and there are rational steps you can take to make yourself safer.

You can get through it but don't rationalize your thoughts. It's easy to do and just remember that it's never rational or reasonable, and there is no logical or ethical argument for it.

What I'd want to do is genuinely renounce my citizenship, but there's nowhere that would take me and no way for me to get anywhere else. Thank you for responding so carefully, it's just... so frustrating to not want to be something and have no way out

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

this thread inspired me to make a recurring donation to PP too!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Grondoth posted:

What I'd want to do is genuinely renounce my citizenship, but there's nowhere that would take me and no way for me to get anywhere else. Thank you for responding so carefully, it's just... so frustrating to not want to be something and have no way out
You don't have to be anything. Live however you want and think of yourself how you want and if someone tells you that you have to be like your neighbors or your nation then tell them to gently caress off. It's your life. We are obligated to act morally, not to conform to anyone's ideas of what we should be.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
I think about getting my tubes tied fairly frequently, but I've been through three or four surgeries in my life now and I really don't relish going under the knife unless I absolutely have to. And it's not even that surgery's that bad, it's that loving liquid they make you drink to prep! It's like salt and hell and sin flavored with some kind of bullshit nameless fruit, and somehow that fruit is the most upsetting part.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Nae! posted:

t's like salt and hell and sin flavored with some kind of bullshit nameless fruit,

dont doxx me

Smirking_Serpent posted:

this thread inspired me to make a recurring donation to PP too!

I love this thread so much 💕

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:34 on Aug 30, 2019

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Take it from someone who's travelled around the English speaking world to try to escape problems, it doesn't help much. There are conservatives/rednecks everywhere, and the left has negative opinions of Americans (they always think I am one).

I dunno, it depends on where you go and how much respect you show them. Like, most of France isn't going to give you the time of day unless you speak their language with a decent accent no matter what. Other places (Greece? Scandinavia? Japan is the most extreme example) will be delighted if you make an honest effort to integrate into culture and/or speak language, even if you fall on your face in the process.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe
edit: wrong thread sorry

mad.radhu has issued a correction as of 18:52 on May 17, 2019

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Take it from someone who's travelled around the English speaking world to try to escape problems, it doesn't help much. There are conservatives/rednecks everywhere, and the left has negative opinions of Americans (they always think I am one).

Goon island offers right of return

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my parents really hosed me up I feel like im catching up on stereotypical teenage milestones when im 25? 26? I don't remember how old I am. I'm learning how to play guitar and loitering with friends more now

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Poniard posted:

my parents really hosed me up I feel like im catching up on stereotypical teenage milestones when im 25? 26? I don't remember how old I am. I'm learning how to play guitar and loitering with friends more now

I waited until 37 before I realized everything was bullshit got a taarakian tattoo and started hanging out with the wrong crew in cspam so

youre ahead of me by far

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

UnfortunateSexFart has issued a correction as of 07:33 on Aug 30, 2019

Mordor She Wrote
Nov 17, 2014

Poniard posted:

same but I think that might just be the life doesnt start until your mid twenties now

I also bought a mandolin in an attempt to find meaning in life by throwing money at things but I broke the strings in the first practice session and never picked it back up, Ive also never taken any sort of music lesson since the recorder in elementary school so it was probably bad idea

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
try a harmonica, hard to break and portable, and you can practice woody guthrie songs

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
also, anybody can sing. its music! even if youre bad at it, sing things in private. youll eventually get better, and even if youre tone deaf, who cares. its good for you anyway :)

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

You just need to find the right song to suit your voice.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

my saint of a grandmother, who was born in the 30s and still goes to Latin mass, was told by the nuns to just lip sync the hymns when she was a girl. my family are just the worst singers.

the only song for my voice is doing the spoken word breakdown in an r&b song

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm not saying there is, I'm saying that committing suicide in response to those conditions is irrational. It's a mental illness. Maladaptive thinking. A cognitive error. Don't confuse right to die in the face of terminal illness for suicide being a rational response to world conditions. You can't address your suicidal ideation only be understanding that it's irrational, but the sooner you stop rationalizing it the sooner you'll be able to successfully get help. And you can do it.

I once said to my therapist "the world is going to hell and I am just waiting until my parents die so I can kill myself". Her reply? A dead-eyed "So why are you even in therapy?"

If this is the sort of "help" that's available in this country (Netherlands), I am loving screwed.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
that's not a very good therapist

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
a good drinking buddy though

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Wait are those different things

poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AceOfFlames posted:

I once said to my therapist "the world is going to hell and I am just waiting until my parents die so I can kill myself". Her reply? A dead-eyed "So why are you even in therapy?"

If this is the sort of "help" that's available in this country (Netherlands), I am loving screwed.

dont seek help from death crew it doesnt end well

also get another therapist that one shouldnt even be practicing