Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

no broccoli please
Apr 20, 2007

no broccoli please you are nice here is a Nathaniel Hawthorne avatar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

nice meltdown.

So anyway yeah I'm going to answer my own question from my last post and say "the second one."

edit: lol at the parody band "Neckbeard Deathcamp." Which one of you guys did that.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 15, 2019

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Are the comments hilarious? They have to be.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Don't know how you do it, Pokey. The video got me in the mood to stand in front of my cranked AC10 in my room and play 2 or 3 songs and even with plugs in I felt a little nauseous. How you managed to put together actual good riffs in front of that wall and not just pass out is superhuman.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

former glory posted:

Don't know how you do it, Pokey. The video got me in the mood to stand in front of my cranked AC10 in my room and play 2 or 3 songs and even with plugs in I felt a little nauseous. How you managed to put together actual good riffs in front of that wall and not just pass out is superhuman.

Loudness giving you nausea is not a good thing

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Siivola posted:

I hang out on a discord channel with someone who worked on that poster and they're a bit miffed someone went and coloured the poster to make Party Cannon pop like that. This is the actual poster:

to be fair the coloring owns

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
ironically i'm pretty sure party cannon sound like every other toiletcore slam project. you can say what you like about the logos of the headliners but the fact that they've carved out their own unique sounds is the reason they're top-billed

disentomb maybe less so than the others but as an australian i have to support them

edit: also teratism deserve many swirlies for being huge pissbabies about sharing the bill with a "parody" antifa black metal project

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 16, 2019

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I can't be bothered to read that giant screed but I'm guessing it boils down to "I'm still salty about being shoved into lockers in high school".

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

I can't be bothered to read that giant screed but I'm guessing it boils down to "I'm still salty about being shoved into lockers in high school".

"Cleaning up streamers and balloons really puts the crimp on the Satanic atmosphere we're trying to make here"

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
“It makes me mad when people don’t take our dress-up facepaint rock band ultra seriously, like SO MAD”

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
hail satan

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
if your ultra serious atmospheric black metal performance is ruined by people that give poo poo to nazis being in same building, you're probably not the rugged paragons of individualistic virtue that you think you are and maybe your beliefs might benefit from some self examination

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

In a world of Vargs be a Fenriz.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:golfclap:

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Honestly part of me respects commitment to taking something inherently stupid entirely seriously.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

gently caress Your Website posted:

“It makes me mad when people don’t take our dress-up facepaint rock band ultra seriously, like SO MAD”

ive always wanted to play in a metal band but the fear of ending up in a band with a bunch of humorless assholes like facebook meltdown guy is a real deterrent. i bet he gets super mad if you bring up metalacalypse.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Black metal weenies being all butthurt about literally no one taking them seriously will never not be funny.

"I play very eeeeeevil and spoooooky music, I'm so dark and mysterious and ambiguously crypto-nazi, please take me seriously."

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

In a world of Vargs be a Fenriz.

:yeah:

massive spider posted:

Honestly part of me respects commitment to taking something inherently stupid entirely seriously.

Honestly it was cool and fun when the early bm dudes were doing it but 99% of these guys nowadays are whining tryhards trying to recapture something they’ve never been a part of it.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

KozmoNaut posted:

Black metal weenies being all butthurt about literally no one taking them seriously will never not be funny.

"I play very eeeeeevil and spoooooky music, I'm so dark and mysterious and ambiguously crypto-nazi, please take me seriously."

My friend was in vaguely popular Black Metal band (didn't do a great amount of shows but their albums were always well reviewed), he was a pretty chill guy so seeing him interact with Black Metal-flavoured assholes was hilarious, especially as the bass-player was mixed race.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Can you imagine playing shows day in and day out that are inherently supposed to sound like poo poo, like where sousing like poo poo is in the mission statement of the band? Most black metal guys very intentionally make their entire albums sound like a wall of white noise with no dynamics whatsoever, recorded by a single RadioShack mic that’s 30 feet deep in an air conditioning duct somewhere.

I guess it’s not totally white noise and fizzy guitars though. There are usually keyboards that play a note, then the next note to the left, then the next note to the left again, going a single note lower with every measure or something.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 16, 2019

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

Can you imagine playing shows day in and day out that are inherently supposed to sound like poo poo, like where sousing like poo poo is in the mission statement of the band? Most black metal guys very intentionally make their entire albums sound like a wall of white noise with no dynamics whatsoever, recorded by a single RadioShack mic that’s 30 feet deep in an air conditioning duct somewhere.

I guess it’s not totally white noise and fizzy guitars though. There are usually keyboards that play a note, then the next note to the left, then the next note to the left again, going a single note lower with every measure or something.

I don’t mean to be rude but do you listen to much black metal? That’s honestly not most of genre. It’s a common false assumption based on internet jokes and whatnot. I know what you’re getting at but that sounds more like the world of harsh noise. The majority of black metal you find without digging for the super lofi stuff is at “worst” raw sounding.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I don’t mean to be rude but do you listen to much black metal? That’s honestly not most of genre. It’s a common false assumption based on internet jokes and whatnot. I know what you’re getting at but that sounds more like the world of harsh noise. The majority of black metal you find without digging for the super lofi stuff is at “worst” raw sounding.

I mean there are standout bands who sound good like Watain and (gasp) Dimmu Borgir, who I'm sure mentioning would make true black metal fans want to fight me for mentioning. But your average Emperor, Burzum, Immortal or whatever else is honestly unlistenable fizz to me.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Wark Say posted:

Cattle Decapitation are fun and I love them live.
I saw them open for Gwar ages ago. Not usually my thing, but it was a pretty fun time

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like what Alcest is doing where they kinda mix it up with Post-Rock-ish aspects and still keep the production "raw". Kodama was one of the best records period in 2016 and I loved that it required you to use your volume control at points.

Ok, I'm done.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

GreatGreen posted:

I mean there are standout bands who sound good like Watain and (gasp) Dimmu Borgir, who I'm sure mentioning would make true black metal fans want to fight me for mentioning. But your average Emperor, Burzum, Immortal or whatever else is honestly unlistenable fizz to me.

https://youtu.be/i14YKs-JUHQ

https://youtu.be/ACRY0QhPsuk

I’ll give you the Burzum one, even though plenty of Burzum has space and distinction with in the production. But those? They’re on the more traditional (not extremely lofi) raw spectrum but still totally listenable. You can hear the individual instruments. Not trying to argue over subjectivity though, haha.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

GreatGreen posted:

All the good black metal isn't actually black metal.

Wiegedood, krallice, alcest, marr cognitum, spectral lore, etc

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spanish Manlove posted:

All the good black metal isn't actually black metal.

Wiegedood, krallice, alcest, marr cognitum, spectral lore, etc

https://youtu.be/j5fECeGxkEw

Song and video are a perfect match. Wiegedood is great.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

https://youtu.be/j5fECeGxkEw

Song and video are a perfect match. Wiegedood is great.

I saw the Saturday night and it was loving awesome. The singer did his sound check by playing most of Crystal Mountain by Death (maybe he just likes it and maybe he did it because they were in Florida)

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
One day I’m gonna start taking my music seriously and build a shrine to satan near my IPhone 7S (AKA my recording studio).

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

White Dog Eggs posted:

My friend was in vaguely popular Black Metal band (didn't do a great amount of shows but their albums were always well reviewed), he was a pretty chill guy so seeing him interact with Black Metal-flavoured assholes was hilarious, especially as the bass-player was mixed race.

I'm mixed but look very dark if I've caught some sun.Years ago I played a show of Melvins covers with a band, and we were sharing the venue with some other bands who were playing thrash and other poo poo. there were some (possibly) black metal guys that were throwing me looks the whole time we played... I thought they were trying to figure out my Buzz tone (solid state amps, boss obd3, big speakers) but noticed some pretty dank looking iron crosses n poo poo on some shirts of those guys...

Noticed how white the crowd was at that moment lol.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

ive always wanted to play in a metal band but the fear of ending up in a band with a bunch of humorless assholes like facebook meltdown guy is a real deterrent. i bet he gets super mad if you bring up metalacalypse.

yeah it's a pretty common problem

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ASenileAnimal posted:

As someone who's in not one, nor two, but three (technically four; long story) bands, with two of those being "niche" genres (Melodic Death Metal and Instrumental Post-Rock), I 100% understand what you mean, but I'm also insanely lucky to have fairly solid band-mates. And while the MeloDeath band does have a guy who tends to sometimes delve into humorless assholery, he at least upsets it with also being both a snarky git and self-aware enough to know not to do that all the time.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

former glory posted:

I have an early-60s Harmony 303a, which is basically an AM radio with a growth spurt, and that loving thing is so loud I've literally never turned it up past 4, especially with an EMG-81 feeding it. My wife's AC30 has never seen higher on the master than a 3. Dude in a thrash band I knew would run his Marshal EL34 100/100 power amp at about 6 (for some unknown reason.)

I just don't get the need for super ungodly loud amp settings in tyool 2019. If you're in danger of drowning out the snare at a bar gig, you're playing to loving loud.

That said, just one time having an actual massive wall of Oranges and cabs and playing some stoner-rear end stoner riffs DOES seem fun. Just once.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9sSa5jk9zE

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Teacher caught me masturbating
Underneath the desk
She looked at me and winked her eye
Said "see you after class"

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

rickiep00h posted:

I just don't get the need for super ungodly loud amp settings in tyool 2019. If you're in danger of drowning out the snare at a bar gig, you're playing to loving loud.

i once saw this bassist that ran a small combo and a few pedals through the bar pa and got such a huge gently caress off loud sound out of it that i felt like a complete moron for bringing my my bulky rear end amp and 2 "15 cabs with me that night. it completely changed my whole outlook on the whole gear arms race. especially where there are more cabs onstage than people watching you lmao.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
TBH if I played shows I'd just show up with a guitrar, usb interface, a laptop, and a power amp.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Looks like Mooer has some competition.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ASenileAnimal posted:

i once saw this bassist that ran a small combo and a few pedals through the bar pa and got such a huge gently caress off loud sound out of it that i felt like a complete moron for bringing my my bulky rear end amp and 2 "15 cabs with me that night. it completely changed my whole outlook on the whole gear arms race. especially where there are more cabs onstage than people watching you lmao.

I used to mix at a bar for awhile and sometimes bands would show up with big stacks. You either convinced them to turn the gently caress down or it would sound like poo poo. Especially too loud bass in small space fighting with the pa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

tbf playing with a full stack is great if the venue's stage monitors are poo poo and also looks extremely big dick cash money