Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

all unlockables are bad

the beauty of roguelikes is their laser-focus on gameplay as problem solving, and the fact that the only demand they make on your time is for you to develop the skill to beat them

unlockables go directly against that

yes but if you want to sell your game for money you have to add them or people won't buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I like unlockable poo poo and think binding of isaac is fun.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Binding of Isaac needed Shoot First! and/or at least Our Darker Purpose to stride roughly alongside it so that all could better themselves for the camaraderie---but since it wound up with all the momentum as the rest never got that Dredmor'ish surge with the closest thing that cratered being Wizard's Lizard getting a sequel*, things could only go so well in the relative vacuum. Still looking forward to the last final Final Expansion thing thanks to Antibirth folks and the wonderful soundtrack enhancement to come whenever it happens by maybe the end of this year after the standard myriad and mysterious delays.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Hooplah posted:

I like unlockable poo poo and think binding of isaac is fun.

Sure, to be clear I love unlocking stuff, I think progression is fun, I specifically think the "adding things to a global loot pool" system is terrible. One of the things I actually really liked in Binding of Isaac was the curated run thing, where you chose a theme or mission or whatever it was, and you started with specific items and only encountered a subset of rooms/items/enemies.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What's the worst-best unlock in your action roguelike history?

My vote is the super-hot watch from gungeon, which is win-carryingly powerful basically on its own and also so tedious that it feels like you're not playing a game anymore.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

resistentialism posted:

What's the worst-best unlock in your action roguelike history?

My vote is the super-hot watch from gungeon, which is win-carryingly powerful basically on its own and also so tedious that it feels like you're not playing a game anymore.
Yeah, I respect the intent of it as a fun horrifyingly-broken unlock that you only get when you've basically mastered the game, but it's just so awful to actually use that I normally skip it.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

I've got to agree on the Super-Hot Watch hot takes. It is brokenly powerful, but in a way that makes you want to watch paint dry instead of continuing your run.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Binding of Isaac rules. There is room out there for games that throw a lot of poo poo at the wall and let you sort it out. It works for BoI because of all the different synergies and that took a lot of effort to make work. I don't play it too often now, but that's mostly because I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours into it. If you start over from a new save file the first couple of games are limited (since you won't be able to access the later bosses) but you can start winning very quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

BaconCopter posted:

I've got to agree on the Super-Hot Watch hot takes. It is brokenly powerful, but in a way that makes you want to watch paint dry instead of continuing your run.

I haven't played Gungeon; how does it compare to the Super Hot mech in Starward Rogue? There the mech has the "time only moves when you do" (or when you shoot) behavior, but it mostly works out because the mech has paper-thin defenses. I actually prefer not to play with that mech mostly because you need to spend so much time shooting things to kill them that it's really easy to get lulled into holding the button down and blundering into a projectile, and whoops there goes most of your health.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

imo, the Super Hot Watch in Gungeon works less well the more experienced you are at the game. Moving around a ton sounds like the thing you'd want to do, but as I got better at the game and learnt patterns I wanted to stay still whenever possible instead, and just make small changes in position as needed to get through bullet patterns. Especially on the earlier floors, it became a huge chore to juke left and right when I would normally sit still and wait for enemies to come to me.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 15, 2019

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Stelas posted:

imo, the Super Hot Watch in Gungeon works less well the more experienced you are at the game. Moving around a ton sounds like the thing you'd want to do, but as I got better at the game and learnt patterns I wanted to stay still whenever possible instead, and just make small changes in position as needed to get through bullet patterns. Especially on the earlier floors, it became a huge chore to juke left and right when I could just sit still and wait for enemies to come to me.

This is pretty much exactly what happened to me every time I decided to pick it up, which was maybe 3 times tops in 600 hours. It's painfully un-fun and goes against all of my Gungeon instincts.

Oh wait, it is really fun if you have the Mega Douser and a bunch of bullet upgrades like fat and bouncy. Then you stand still and spin around in circles with your trigger held down. Welcome to 2 FPS mode.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It also fucks with my timing a lot. On a run where I took it, I fought the demon wall boss, which is usually an easy clear - but I kept screwing up my rolls through the walls of bullets because I was so used to waiting until the right moment to roll, and the watch would disrupt that.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

So I thought of Gearhead for some reason, which I've never played, so I went and looked and there's Gearhead 1, Gearhead 2, and Gearhead Caramel. Caramel's still in development so I'll hold off on trying that, but if I only try either 1 or 2 which should I go with, and why? I seem to remember from...nowhere in particular that 2 is a very different game to 1 and not just better, but that's a memory of a memory.

For my money you should go with Gearhead 2. Gearhead 1 has this menu based movement system that I hate.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
even if isaac controlled like a dream it still has the worst hitboxes of all time where isaac's hitbox is not connected to his head at all, rather it's like. aligned low on his body, not quite the same as his body's sprite(usually isaac's shadow is an ok way to tell where his hitbox is but still not perfectly) and bullet hitboxes are located at their shadows as well because of the way that some bullets "arc" despite the game being 2d which makes them look like they're above you when they hit you sometimes and, ugh, it's just a loving mess

blue circle is isaac's hitbox. you will notice it is kinda on his body but doesn't include his arms and goes lower than his legs, and is smaller horizontally and bigger vertically than the shadow so there's really nothing that gives you a good indicator.
(the red circles are what the red poop's hurtbox used to be, green is what it was changed to, since this image is from an explanation about red poop nerf)

e: also "one makes you larger/smaller" pills do not affect your hitbox size at all, which is already confusing and bad, but then on top of that magic mush/mini mush/caffeine pill all do affect your hitbox size so it's totally inconsistent in regards to size as well

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 15, 2019

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Hahahaha holy poo poo. As if I needed another reason to think Isaac is trash.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Wait "makes you smaller" pills don't change your hotbox? :psyduck: i knew it never got BIGGER than the default but wtf lol

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I don't really want to play it ever again (although maybe when the new expansion comes out...?) but I've definitely gotten a couple hundred hours of fun out of Isaac so I can't talk too much poo poo . It's also objectively a mess though

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

goferchan posted:

Wait "makes you smaller" pills don't change your hotbox? :psyduck: i knew it never got BIGGER than the default but wtf lol

I'm curious about this, because the wiki / every reddit post / steam discussion I've seen suggests your hitbox does change when you shrink, regardless of the source

the hitbox just doesn't get bigger

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's funny how antibirth was kind of better than the afterbirth stuff that was officially put out for the game for money. it's good that they got in touch with the antibirth people because at least one party in all of that knew how to make something fun.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Thanks for the folks who responded re:gearhead. That, combined with Google, told me that it's generally considered that Gearhead 1 is more complete but the systems are shaky, and Gearhead 2 is less complete but more balanced. I decided I'd just try them both for 30 minutes or so and see.

I ran into the tutorial for Gearhead 1 OH BOY habituallyred, you weren't kidding about that menu movement system. It is...painful. I can totally see what he was going for but whoof. Fortunately, there's a way to set it to Roguelike-style controls, which gives up a lot of precision at the cost of making it incredibly obtuse to figure out how much time moving around takes.

I tried out Gearhead 2 and spent twenty minutes trying to find the Cavalier's Club that it tells you to go to in the introduction. Then, after I did find it, somebody gave me a quest that said that some fleet was doing something outside of Rishi Station and I'm not sure if I was on Rishi station, or not on Rishi station, or what? and launched into space and couldn't figure out what to do and called it a day.

I think...maybe I'll try 1, and see how it goes? and then if I beat it (fat chance) I can try 2 if I want more?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Is Hades any good? Its $7 on the Epic Store right now and I'm curious to see how its coming along.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
Dead Cells is probably the closest analogue - it has that constant improvement metaprogression that makes it a bit of a downer after your first win, but it controls really cleanly and it's very fun to play. It lacks the proc-gen weapons and huge variety of Dead Cells, but it actually has some good story beats and voice acting - it's weird to look for story in a game like this, but it's Supergiant and they do about as well as could be expected with the constraints. Overall I recommend it but a pure roguelike it ain't.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

BexGu posted:

Is Hades any good? Its $7 on the Epic Store right now and I'm curious to see how its coming along.

I was about to do a write-up, but hito summed it up very well

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

MORE TAXES WHEN posted:

I tried out Gearhead 2 and spent twenty minutes trying to find the Cavalier's Club that it tells you to go to in the introduction. Then, after I did find it, somebody gave me a quest that said that some fleet was doing something outside of Rishi Station and I'm not sure if I was on Rishi station, or not on Rishi station, or what? and launched into space and couldn't figure out what to do and called it a day.
This is Gearhead 2 in a nutshell, in my experience.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

BexGu posted:

it was $7 when I clicked the link but it went back up to $14 by the time I came home.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Hades is probably the game whose Epic exclusivity I'm most annoyed about.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

pumpinglemma posted:

Hades is probably the game whose Epic exclusivity I'm most annoyed about.

It's honestly the one I am least sad about. When it goes full release, it will be on Steam, and I don't do Early Access anyways.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Wizard of Legend just updated with a Boss Rush mode and some good QoL improvements.

quote:

Boss Rush Update (v1.12) Change Log

----------- New in This Update -----------
Boss Rush mode now available via an NPC in Lanova Plaza (Requires completion of Chaos Trials)
Hard mode is now available via an NPC in Lanova Plaza and the Insignia of Legend relic no longer activates hard mode
21 new relics added

----------- Quality of Life Changes -----------
Relics now show number values when applicable in the equip menu
Insignia of Legend now makes Chaos arcana available for purchase during the Chaos Trials
End of run summary screen updated to show the full player build
The last used cursed relic from Nox in Lanova Plaza is now guaranteed to be in stock the next visit
Treasure chests now show an indicator icon in the minimap
Doctor Song and Nocturne now prefer to take standard arcana before enhanced arcana when you request their services
Increased chance to find complimentary relic in shops when holding a combination relic during the Chaos Trials
Conga Drum Set cursed relic updated to make all players immune to exploding barrels
Flashy Boots cursed relic updated to allow dash arcana to activate up to three times per charge
Aegis Charge arcana has been reworked to be more effective overall
Stone Shot (Basic) arcana activation speed increased
Wind zone enemy visuals have been updated to look more like an enemy rather than a hazard
Various minor bug fixes
http://wizardoflegend.com/changelog.html

Really like the idea of Relics that combo with other relics have a increased change to drop.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Roluth posted:

It's honestly the one I am least sad about. When it goes full release, it will be on Steam, and I don't do Early Access anyways.

Oh thanks for this post I had no idea it would come to Steam eventually. Guess I'll wait too since I'm done dealing with Early Access.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

DrManiac posted:

it was $7 when I clicked the link but it went back up to $14 by the time I came home.

Looks like that was a mistake, and it's back down to $10.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I like wizard of legend but I always feel like I'm playing wrong since i get past two bosses and then die because of how many enemies start spawning and how much damage they do. I think the basic mobs have way too much hp in general.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
My main complaint about Wizard of Legend is how every room is connected with pits you have to dash over.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Also having 0 iframes feels really bad. I once fought the ice lady and got clipped by a freeze attack and then took 230 damage from just repeated attacks with no way to actually react. that happens alot with mooks too, if you take one hit you basically take a ton.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Cinara posted:

My main complaint about Wizard of Legend is how every room is connected with pits you have to dash over.

This plus the random dead ends in the map for no reason. Really hard to play after finishing a bunch of Dead Cells runs, a game where you basically never have to back track like that.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Also having 0 iframes feels really bad. I once fought the ice lady and got clipped by a freeze attack and then took 230 damage from just repeated attacks with no way to actually react. that happens alot with mooks too, if you take one hit you basically take a ton.

This is incredibly noticeable with the air boss they added after launch; that guy is an absolute motherfucker. It probably wouldn't feel so bad if dashes could effectively dodge through enemies and attacks, but they can't, so it does.

Still a great game, but it's hard not to get frustrated at times.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
Doesn't the chaos dash go through attacks?

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

There's also a relic that gives your dashes iframes.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah but you gotta get gems to unlock those, and you gotta be able to win fights to get gems. imo the dashes should all have iframes natively, even if it's only a very brief window. Would make those "fight enemies on all sides while surrounded by fire and/or spikes" rooms feel a lot more fair.

Starting the game over from scratch to see how all the new content fits together is really driving home how brutal it is to try to get anywhere when you only have the lovely default spells and no robes or relics. I'm guessing a lot of folks bounced off this game before they got terribly far.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cinara posted:

The secret with the pits is that you can never walk into one only dash into one. I wish they spelling that out more to new players in the tutorial since it really makes the game more manageable once you realize you'r never going to run into a pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

BexGu posted:

The secret with the pits is that you can never walk into one only dash into one. I wish they spelling that out more to new players in the tutorial since it really makes the game more manageable once you realize you'r never going to run into a pit.

Yeah. It's easy to dunk yourself if you're trying to time the dash just in advance, but you can actually bump right into the edge of the pit and then dash for a 100% surefire safe jump. As soon as you catch onto that you pretty much completely stop falling down pits outside of really hectic battles.