Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

no_recall posted:

Elite has fountains and running water in stations. Does Star Citizen have any liquids in stations / planets? Not sure if I remember seeing any.

Space is a liquid that you can swim in. This is but one of the things we've learned from the full Chris Roberts Experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sarsapariller posted:

They've promised 142 ships and delivered less than a third, they are only able to put out about 1 big ship per year so you're looking at 30+ years there

They've promised 100 systems and 1 has taken them seven years, so you're looking at a few centuries there

They've promised infinite features and delivered zero finished, polished items, so I'd say 'Until the end of time' on that one.

Promised for what? Release?

What is release anyways?

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Scruffyhawk posted:

Someone do the math that calculates how long it would take if they were able to, in a magical world, deliver on every single feature/ship/planet/etc on a consistent timeframe.

Something like 1 feature shipped and polished every 7 days. It'd still take literal years to catch up or be "done", right?

Anybody who attempts to calculate this must also factor in magic Germans, pipelines, and the flipping of the VR switch or else the result will be calculator destroying FUD.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/CaptainZyloh/status/1129117578843033607

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

They've promised 142 ships and delivered less than a third, they are only able to put out about 1 big ship per year so you're looking at 30+ years there

They've promised 100 systems and 1 has taken them seven years, so you're looking at a few centuries there

They've promised infinite features and delivered zero finished, polished items, so I'd say 'Until the end of time' on that one.

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of divide-by-zero error in there somewhere anyway, so we can't calculate it.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They've promised infinite features and somehow managed to deliver less features than Cryengine comes shipped with. They've implemented negative features.

Now, here's where it gets tricky. According to my calculations negative times infinity is negative infinity. Your own formula of features*time gives Star Citizen's estimated release date as the moment of the big bang. Ergo Star Citizen is already out, Chris Roberts is a genius, Ben Lesnick is a developer and goons have been owned.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sarsapariller posted:

Continued gameplay stories without mentioning bugs

It is a harsh place, a scrabbling place, where a man's soul is scoured clean by the wavey hands of his deeds. We kill or we are killed, there is no other way.

[...]

So now I wait. I am the occupant who must be evicted. The turrets will announce the arrival of my killer, my savior. I understand now why the men filed into my sights. This is my purgatory. This is my punishment. It triples every second. I welcome it.

Poetry! :discourse:

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

It baffles me that being docked at a station in rebel galaxy outlaw has more content than star citizen. And is better-looking. And has fidelitious drinks.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Bofast posted:

I'm pretty sure there's some kind of divide-by-zero error in there somewhere anyway, so we can't calculate it.

Divide by Tier-0.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Neltharak posted:

It baffles me that being docked at a station in rebel galaxy outlaw has more content than star citizen. And is better-looking. And has fidelitious drinks.

It really is amazing that almost 300 million dollars has been spent on a broken pre-alpha with orders of magnitude less content than indie games made on like 5% of that budget. They can't even get basic FPS mechanics that ship with Cryengine working.

You'd think after a while the "Thousand Monkey's on a Thousand Typewriters" dynamic would kick in and at least a bare bones space sim with functioning mechanics would emerge from the random fluctuations of 500 developers lead by an idiot.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 16, 2019

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

literally why mocap that though? why not just have an animator spend like an afternoon making a guy do bartending movements? I mean I don't actually know anything about game development, but I'm pretty sure most other places don't motion capture the entire game including background animations, right?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

colonelwest posted:

It' really is amazing that almost 300 million dollars has been spent on a broken pre-alpha with orders of magnitude less content than indie games made on like 5% of that budget.

You'd think after a while the "Thousand Monkey's on a Thousand Typewriters" dynamic would kick in and at least a bare bones space sim with functioning mechanics would emerge from the random work of 500 developers lead by an idiot.

Well, a thousand monkeys on a thousand typewrites will in time generate a jewel among a sea of crap, that's for sure. But that is if they are left alone. What if there is another monkey on top that will just throw back the jewel into the crap because a pixel is green, not blue? That's the power of the idiot you mention.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Beet Wagon posted:

literally why mocap that though? why not just have an animator spend like an afternoon making a guy do bartending movements? I mean I don't actually know anything about game development, but I'm pretty sure most other places don't motion capture the entire game including background animations, right?

:lol:

I can't loving believe they're still mocaping in year 7, while all of their existing animations look like absolute poo poo or just crash the game.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Doesn't that mean that every possible drink has to be mocapped separately? What if i want an egg nog, are they going to simulate the custard physics?

Also, I've asked this before and gotten various jokes, but please, I have a 100% real question, and I would like an answer:

I assume that the "hairy roberts" was a cocktail first coined by CIG themselves at some point. Have they disclosed what is in it?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Doesn't that mean that every possible drink has to be mocapped separately? What if i want an egg nog, are they going to simulate the custard physics?

Also, I've asked this before and gotten various jokes, but please, I have a 100% real question, and I would like an answer:

I assume that the "hairy roberts" was a cocktail first coined by CIG themselves at some point. Have they disclosed what is in it?

It is two parts 'beverage 4' and three parts 'beverage 8'

an actual frog
Mar 1, 2007

HEH, HEH, HEH!

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Doesn't that mean that every possible drink has to be mocapped separately?
Crobs gets to spend more time Directing Actors? This is a feature, not a bug

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

The mixmaster was officially when I started to suspect that Star Citizen was a parody, or a performance art piece. When people got excited about it, I thought they were all in on the joke. I forgot which timeline we branched into.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

Scruffpuff posted:

The mixmaster was officially when I started to suspect that Star Citizen was a parody, or a performance art piece. When people got excited about it, I thought they were all in on the joke. I forgot which timeline we branched into.

Hell it’s still in their web site and I still don’t believe it was a serious feature.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

JugbandDude posted:

Hell it’s still in their web site and I still don’t believe it was a serious feature.

It's part of this whole mess and an advertised feature of the Starliner JPEG.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/14804-Design-Notes-Civilian-Passenger-Transport

I dare you to go on Reddit and ask the Citizenry how far CIG is on any feature listed on that page.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Honestly there are times when I half suspect that the internet is actually a vast portal into subtly different realities and that a lot of these people actually exist in a universe where SC is a bit fucky but actually has a good game in there and will some day be worthy of their praise.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1129158685995995136

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Scruffpuff posted:

It really is incredible poo poo, like even if they got all of those horribly complex passenger liner mechanics working, it would just be excruciatingly dull. Like yes I want to be a space bartender for some whale on hours long passenger flights.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 17, 2019

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

colonelwest posted:

It really is incredible poo poo, like even if they got all of those horribly complex passenger liner mechanics working, it would just be excruciatingly dull. Like yes I want to be a space bartender for some whale on hours long passenger flights.

I have always wanted to play "Yelp Review: The Video Game"

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

15 people watching.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

It's just a vodka martini.

But Croberts dips his balls in it before it's served to you.
(it's very fidelitous)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Beet Wagon posted:

It is two parts 'beverage 4' and three parts 'beverage 8'

But surely this would be automated in whatever year this is supposed to be, right? I mean we're only a decade or two away from automated bartenders IRL.

Then again I'd say the same thing about turrets...

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Jonny Shiloh posted:

It'd be a bit of a commute, he lives in Oz doesn't he?

No. He lives in a town 3 hours away from me.
It's frankly embarrassing that we live in the same province.
His enthusiasm for Store Citzer is endearing or psychotic.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It's just a vodka martini.

But Croberts dips his balls in it before it's served to you.
(it's very fidelitous)

I think you hit on it. Sandi insists all pubes are shaved, it all makes sense now, they save them and use them for garnish for the aforementioned drinks. I think you meant to say, fidelicious.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Gosts posted:

Why doesn't relic apply.

He's already got a sweet job at Oasis Marketing. Why ruin a good thing?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Hey you guys need to post up this ad next to the YMCA soccer ad at the local high schools to get some more really qualified people!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

You do recall this is the only part of the game Chris Roberts actually cares about, right?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/RichardOnTwitch/status/1129159776707981312

Totally not marketing.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
History on the Hairy Roberts:

Way back in the day it was assumed that working at CIG was fairly toxic if you were female. Sandi had very sharp talons (turns out it was actually just strong hands), and a feisty side of jealousy.

It seems that in many ways, the grunts working at CIG have managed to sneak in sneak peeks into CIG via the art pipeline. Things such as the Honesty Slider, etc.

Well, at around this time there was a hubbub about some female employee who was having a difficult time because it seemed that Sandi didn't like people who weren't shaven upon their mounds. Rumor had it this employee was not treated very well at all. So, a bit of time passes and soon enough this piece of concept art airs, called a Hairy Roberts. Perhaps another insight into the horrors of CIG?

Also, this ship was probably one of the first to really set off some serious alarm bells for people. This ship alone featured mechanics such as:
* Drink mixing minigame
* Getting the right drink for the right person to keep them happy
* Sickness management since npcs could get ill on your ship
* Movie system
* Video tape system, where you had to hunt down rare videos in rare places to keep people happier
* Ship system management and breakages
* Server Blade management and maintenance
* npc passenger system
* npc happiness tracking
* Finding rare drink mixes and concocting your own drinks with the ingredients

There may be additional things I've missed, but the overall reception of this ship was fairly chilly. Not only did nobody want to actually be a npc ferry, a lot of other people realized the amount of content in this single ship was enough, even more than, some full and entire games came with. The amount of "useless features" CIG promised just to sell some pointless bus nobody wanted helped a few people see through the endless ship scams.

If this one didn't, there was right around this time the science/farm/exploration/research/telescope ship that had fantastical modules you could attach to it to do anything. Nobody even knew what science was supposed to be in the game, but it was sold anyway.

Nobody still knows what science is supposed to be.@

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 17, 2019

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I watched Captain Richards stream once and i really wanted to kill myself

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

vyst posted:

I watched Captain Richards stream once and i really wanted to kill myself

Don't do that, friend. :glomp:

Take my hand and find your inner happiness. :)

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Hey you guys need to post up this ad next to the YMCA soccer ad at the local high schools to get some more really qualified people!

The vice-president of development?

They’re just making poo poo up now.

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

Totally not cringeworthy.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

https://twitter.com/LtDanOfficial1/status/1129187154477948928

Lazy Robot
Jan 18, 2001

yospos

Why are they mo-capping the bottles and not the guy? This makes absolutely no sense. Are they going to hand-animate a guy to match the motions of the flying bottles? Why wouldn't you mo-cap the guy, and then just put bottles in the model's hands when he performs the animation, like literally anybody else would do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Lol at all of it.