Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
You're definitely not thinking of Adi Shankar and Castlevania, but it fits the bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

This probably isn't the movie you're thinking about at all, but.. A Scanner Darkly?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405296/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_37

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Arturo Ui posted:

No, again think dark 80s-90s anime aesthetic (Akira, Ghost in the Shell etc.) and I believe the writer/director was a self-important 'auteur' who had a teen-goth-who-never-grew-up vibe

My guess(if it's strictly not an Anime)would be like a Peter Chung joint, but he's really just got the 2 series and a segment in the Animatrix.

Edit: forgot you said white guy.

Double Super Edit: There's also RWBY which is a web series for RoosterTeeth but that guy is Asian (though he appears to possibly fit the other descriptors)

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 17, 2019

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Origami Dali posted:

This one is for a friend. She says it's likely 80's horror. A family is driving on a dark road at night and is blocked by a tree in the road. They go to a nearby motel. The clerk is a woman who had spiderwebs in her hair. This next bit she thinks might be from the same movie, or maybe another one: there are tunnels to each room that the owners of the motel had dug behind the bathroom mirrors, which they would use to enter the rooms and kill the occupants.

This turned out to be a very misremembered Mountaintop Motel Massacre.

Origami Dali fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 22, 2019

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is your friend misremembering the movie dolls?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7oKDtytJnE

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
See, that's what I thought too. But nothing really matches besides a family's car gets stuck.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Nothing But Trouble

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Jfc, it better not be a really misremembered Nothing But Trouble.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Origami Dali posted:

Jfc, it better not be a really misremembered Nothing But Trouble.

I hope you said these exact words to your friend.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
No dice on NBT, thankfully. It's probably some obscure episode of Monsters or the 80's Twilight Zone, or who knows what.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Definitely not 80s (it came out last year) but Bad Times at the El Royale had the tunnels behind the mirrors in a hotel thing

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Origami Dali posted:

This one is for a friend. She says it's likely 80's horror. A family is driving on a dark road at night and is blocked by a tree in the road. They go to a nearby motel. The clerk is a woman who had spiderwebs in her hair. This next bit she thinks might be from the same movie, or maybe another one: there are tunnels to each room that the owners of the motel had dug behind the bathroom mirrors, which they would use to enter the rooms and kill the occupants.

It's a 2007 movie, not the '80s, but the tunnels to the bathroom reminds me of Vacancy with Luke Wilson and Kate Beckinsale.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's definitely early 90's at the latest. She's already been through a list of movies featured on USA Up All Night and Monstervision trying to narrow it down.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Motel Hell?

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
This is an indie movie I saw few years ago about two black teens (boy and girl) who deal drugs in New York.

It's recent enough, came out in the earlier half of this decade. It's a day-in-the-life story and two main characters are really fun and likeable.

I remember a specific part where a privileged white girl was condescending to the lead boy who fancied her. Later in the film, she went for a swim in a water tank on top of a roof (okay!).

It wasn't a particularly memorable film, but it had a few good bits and I wanted to know if the director and crew have made anything since then.

Thanks in advance!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It's set in California, but, Dope?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dope_(2015_film)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Godface posted:

This is an indie movie I saw few years ago about two black teens (boy and girl) who deal drugs in New York.

It's recent enough, came out in the earlier half of this decade. It's a day-in-the-life story and two main characters are really fun and likeable.

I remember a specific part where a privileged white girl was condescending to the lead boy who fancied her. Later in the film, she went for a swim in a water tank on top of a roof (okay!).

It wasn't a particularly memorable film, but it had a few good bits and I wanted to know if the director and crew have made anything since then.

Thanks in advance!

One of my favorite movies, Gimme the Loot. The director made another film, Tramps which isn't quite as good IMHO but still has lots of similar charm.

Godface
Jun 8, 2007

Awkward Social Situations Established Since 1988
That’s it! Thanks :hfive:

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Foreign film, either Japanese or Korean. A handful of siblings are living in an apartment in a city with their single mom. They raise each other because she's out all the time and eventually abandons them halfway through the film. The oldest is a girl who tries to take care of them. She makes friends with someone (a boy?) outside and has to hide their living situation. Someone (that friend?) finds out. There's a little brother who does nothing but watch TV/play video games. They have a garden on the tiny patio/ledge. They let the bills pile up/get multiple eviction notices because they're kids and don't know anything about bills.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Never seen the film, but I'm sure that's Nobody Knows

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Here's one that just popped into my brain:

Horror/thriller set in a bayou or swampy area, I think a medium (red-headed female) goes to investigate a murder for some reason. I don't remember if she's hired or it was family. I think it mostly takes place around a house next to a river/swamp/bog and I don't think there were other houses around. I think the victim was a woman and there's a flashback scene where her body is in the bathtub or that the medium is in the tub and she sees the dead woman in a vision.

I think Forest Whitaker might have been in it?

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

s.i.r.e. posted:

Here's one that just popped into my brain:

Horror/thriller set in a bayou or swampy area, I think a medium (red-headed female) goes to investigate a murder for some reason. I don't remember if she's hired or it was family. I think it mostly takes place around a house next to a river/swamp/bog and I don't think there were other houses around. I think the victim was a woman and there's a flashback scene where her body is in the bathtub or that the medium is in the tub and she sees the dead woman in a vision.

I think Forest Whitaker might have been in it?

I haven’t seen it, but it sounds like The Marsh https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0496350/

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Fuckin' A that was fast, that HAS to be it. Thanks!

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

Coaaab posted:

Never seen the film, but I'm sure that's Nobody Knows

jfc, I messed up the eldest sibling's gender and you still got it in under 10min, thank you internet scholar

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Japanese language film I saw playing at a semi-fancy Japanese place. Looked to take place in post-WW2 Japan (maybe 5 years after?) and it looked like the movie was made in the 70s. Lots of really interesting shots with doorways used as framing devices for characters. It was about a neighborhood where one family had two sons who were pretending to be mute for a reason I never saw. I typed several variants of "japanese movie about mute kids" or "japanese movie mute sons" etc and only turned up recent movies that were very definitely not it. I didn't catch most of it but I kept noticing it out of the side of my eyes because the framing was master class.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

TTBF posted:

Japanese language film I saw playing at a semi-fancy Japanese place. Looked to take place in post-WW2 Japan (maybe 5 years after?) and it looked like the movie was made in the 70s. Lots of really interesting shots with doorways used as framing devices for characters. It was about a neighborhood where one family had two sons who were pretending to be mute for a reason I never saw. I typed several variants of "japanese movie about mute kids" or "japanese movie mute sons" etc and only turned up recent movies that were very definitely not it. I didn't catch most of it but I kept noticing it out of the side of my eyes because the framing was master class.

Good Morning (1959)

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
90s (?) Action/horror movie on like HBO or something. Sort of like Predator, with a commando team or something in a jungle, but there were like worms or tentacles coming out of the ground I think. I also think there was some black humanoid monster. Watched this as a kid and had nightmares for weeks.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 13:21 on May 25, 2019

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ozu! No wonder it looked so good. Thank you.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

90s (?) Action/horror movie on like HBO or something. Sort of like Predator, with a commando team or something in a jungle, but there were like worms or tentacles coming out of the ground I think. I also think there was some black humanoid monster. Watched this as a kid and had nightmares for weeks.

Mutant Species?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqUpFtSCXQ

Apologies for the lovely MST3K wannabe, but at least its the full movie for you to check

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

happyhippy posted:

Mutant Species?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRqUpFtSCXQ

Apologies for the lovely MST3K wannabe, but at least its the full movie for you to check

Nah, not it. I seem to remember it being relatively decent production value, not campy. Maybe part of a series? Might have had a number in the title.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Don't know if there are tentacles, but Xtro 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgld3CSpjpA

Got a question of my own: Some time in the mid-eighties to early nineties, I saw some sort of historical drama or adventure movie set in India. The only scene I really remember from it was of a widow burning, where the, presumably British, main character shoots the young widow so she doesn't get burned alive.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hannibal Rex posted:

I saw some sort of historical drama or adventure movie set in India. The only scene I really remember from it was of a widow burning, where the, presumably British, main character shoots the young widow so she doesn't get burned alive.

A tv show called ‘The Far Pavilions’ has a sutee ceremony in it, though I don’t remember a coup de grace at the end. Kind of sticks with you, I can’t remember sutee shown in any other western media.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Torquemada posted:

A tv show called ‘The Far Pavilions’ has a sutee ceremony in it, though I don’t remember a coup de grace at the end. Kind of sticks with you, I can’t remember sutee shown in any other western media.

Sati happens in In 80 Days Around the World, but there the widow is rescued. Far Pavilions seems to be it; there's a clip on youtube that shows the main character shooting the widow on the pyre.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Don't know if there are tentacles, but Xtro 3?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgld3CSpjpA

Nope, sorry. It wasn't a trashy B Movie, I remember it being at least a bit better than that. I'm almost positive it was a series, and the sequel had like nothing to do with it.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Nope, sorry. It wasn't a trashy B Movie, I remember it being at least a bit better than that. I'm almost positive it was a series, and the sequel had like nothing to do with it.

Long shot, but could it be Enemy Mine?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Zopotantor posted:

Long shot, but could it be Enemy Mine?

Nope, this was less camp and sci fi, more action horror. It felt like a knockoff of Predator. I think the monster had like green eyes? Also, the more I think on it, the tentacles/worms and black monster may have been different movies in the same series. The title may have started with "S".

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Species

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Nope, this was less camp and sci fi, more action horror. It felt like a knockoff of Predator. I think the monster had like green eyes? Also, the more I think on it, the tentacles/worms and black monster may have been different movies in the same series. The title may have started with "S".

Watchers III ?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Watchers III ?

Yes, that's it! Holy crap that looks like dogshit lol

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

TTBF posted:

Jumping in to say that this is a really adorable movie. TTBF's description almost makes it sound creepy but it's a fun movie. A couple of kids growing up poor in post-WWII Japan decide to go on strike because they want their family to purchase a TV. How do they go on strike? They decide to not say a word to anyone until they get their TV.

Also while they're still talking, they smell each other's farts and comment on the effects different types of dinner have.