Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

endlessmonotony posted:

They did, yes. The notes are in 66.0.4's in-depth notes.

I checked the notes but the linked ticket didn't say anything about Mozilla resubmitting themes for review of their own accord. My theme got bumped to 3.0 without any interaction on my part and is receiving a validation warning because it has already been signed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Nth Doctor posted:

I checked the notes but the linked ticket didn't say anything about Mozilla resubmitting themes for review of their own accord. My theme got bumped to 3.0 without any interaction on my part and is receiving a validation warning because it has already been signed.

They do say in there somewhere that all themes needed to be re-signed to deal with the kerfuffle from the certificate expiration, but it's way there on bugzilla side.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey all, I've been using an older version of firefox since a few addons I have weren't updated for newer versions of firefox, but I'm probably going to update soon since a few sites have started to not work properly in my version. Are there any replacements for Session Manager, it is extremely useful as it creates multiple backups of tab sessions and constantly refreshes the most recent backup so in the event of a crash, it probably saved even the most recent tab changes. I hear FF has something similar as standard now, but I'm wondering how good it is at dealing with restoring crashed sessions reliably every time.

Does Snaplinks Plus still work or have an equivalent addon in the most recent firefox?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Snaplinks still works, thank god.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Snaplinks still works, thank god.
fantastic, it's basically essential.

how's the crash recovery/session saver situation for current versions? I want to make sure my sessions and tabs are secure, and I really hope there's a replacement or at least similar thing to Session Manager either built in or available as an addon in the current firefox.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

fantastic, it's basically essential.

how's the crash recovery/session saver situation for current versions?

Pretty good although probably not as good as the dedicated one. When I have an OS update, I just close the window, reboot and then do Restore Previous Session. But I have on occasion forgotten I had a second window open or I've reopened Firefox to check a single thing and then all my precious tabs are like dust in the wind.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ah, it has a backup, but only for a single instance, no redundancies?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Ah, it has a backup, but only for a single instance, no redundancies?

Yeah, the last state you closed in, and you can't save specific states. I'm sure there will be alternatives or updates to tab add-ons soon enough.

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

Captain Invictus posted:

hey all, I've been using an older version of firefox since a few addons I have weren't updated for newer versions of firefox, but I'm probably going to update soon since a few sites have started to not work properly in my version. Are there any replacements for Session Manager, it is extremely useful as it creates multiple backups of tab sessions and constantly refreshes the most recent backup so in the event of a crash, it probably saved even the most recent tab changes. I hear FF has something similar as standard now, but I'm wondering how good it is at dealing with restoring crashed sessions reliably every time.

Does Snaplinks Plus still work or have an equivalent addon in the most recent firefox?

There's MySessions
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/my-sessions/
It's nowhere near as good as Session Manager but it's better than nothing. If anyone knows a superior alternative I'd love to hear about it

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

For anyone who's interested, you can now download and test the new revamped Android browser (called Fenix)

https://events.mozilla.org/becomeabetatestingbughunter

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Other posted:

There's MySessions
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/my-sessions/
It's nowhere near as good as Session Manager but it's better than nothing. If anyone knows a superior alternative I'd love to hear about it

alright, thanks. This works, sorta, the tabs no longer show the icon for what site it is(youtube logo for youtube, etc) on the tabs before they are loaded, which was very helpful before. Is there a current addon I can use for that? Also, an addon to space out the tabs a bit more, they're super squished as it stands.

And youtube and imgur straight up aren't loading properly. I've disabled adblock/noscript and it didn't change anything. It will load the video in youtube but nothing else, and imgur won't load the images/comments. I thought this was a problem with the old version of firefox I was using but it seems to be something else. Any ideas?

Apologies for using this thread to troubleshoot all of this, everything was working fine until a couple days ago when things started to fall apart rapidly for some reason. :/

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Have you tried a fresh Firefox profile? Do those sites load correctly in other browsers?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mr.Radar posted:

Have you tried a fresh Firefox profile? Do those sites load correctly in other browsers?
...huh. That fixed it, what would cause my existing profile to suddenly stop loading those pages properly?

Can I go back to my older version of firefox(I was using 45.9) and get the same result?

edit: what's the most recent version of firefox that still allows legacy addons? 57?

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 16, 2019

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
When you're talking about "session saving", is that anything more than saving what tabs you currently have open? I use Simple Tab Groups to replace the grouping functionality that was taken out of base FF a while ago, and it automatically backs up the tab data regularly as well. If that's all you're after you could use that and just ignore the grouping functionality (though I really like it to segment everything I have open into 'workspaces' to not all be cluttering up the main tab bar mixed together). It does also save the favicons of tabs so they are visible even before the tab is reloaded after a fresh start of the browser.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Sounds great, I'll give that a go!

I'm really curious about the profile thing making youtube, imgur, etc not work until a new profile is loaded. What causes that? I've been using the same profile since...probably 2013 or so when I last updated, is it just a bloat thing, or what?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've had sites break completely simply by having a cookie that went bad. And considering how much crap sticks around in the Firefox profile over the years, I wouldn't really worry too much about trying to find that one esoteric (and probably deprecated + removed from about:config) setting, cookie, cache entry or web storage file that broke everything.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Pikestaff posted:

For anyone who's interested, you can now download and test the new revamped Android browser (called Fenix)

https://events.mozilla.org/becomeabetatestingbughunter

I'll check it out. How does it differ from current Firefox on Android?

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I'll check it out. How does it differ from current Firefox on Android?

I found an article that provides some details. Mainly it looks like a major UI overhaul (and, looking at their Github, a major rewrite/refactor of all the UI code) combined with native ad-blocking and built-in session management (similar to what Captain Invictus was looking for on desktop). According to another related article the current Firefox for Android will be deprecated starting with Firefox 68 and will only get security updates afterwards similar to desktop ESR releases.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

None of it is mentioning whether it will still support addons like Firefox for Android currently does.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hargrimm posted:

When you're talking about "session saving", is that anything more than saving what tabs you currently have open? I use Simple Tab Groups to replace the grouping functionality that was taken out of base FF a while ago, and it automatically backs up the tab data regularly as well. If that's all you're after you could use that and just ignore the grouping functionality (though I really like it to segment everything I have open into 'workspaces' to not all be cluttering up the main tab bar mixed together). It does also save the favicons of tabs so they are visible even before the tab is reloaded after a fresh start of the browser.
I went to grab this and I'm probably missing something but it says I need version 63 of firefox, but I've got version 60 and it says it's up to date and won't update further.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Hargrimm posted:

Oh man, I've been looking for a replacement Tab Group addon since the addon apocalypse, I'm extremely appreciative you posted this. I'm glad I stuck around in this thread after the certificate shenanigans recently.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Flipperwaldt posted:

None of it is mentioning whether it will still support addons like Firefox for Android currently does.

"Eventually" is what I'm seeing, so that's a hard pass for me.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

I went to grab this and I'm probably missing something but it says I need version 63 of firefox, but I've got version 60 and it says it's up to date and won't update further.

Sounds like you're on an ESR version. Try downloading a new installer and using that to get back to the normal version.

Toast Museum posted:

"Eventually" is what I'm seeing, so that's a hard pass for me.

I guess it depends on how good its internal ad blocking is, but let's face it: if it can't run uBlock Origin, it's not even worth considering.

Geemer fucked around with this message at 03:17 on May 17, 2019

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Geemer posted:

Sounds like you're on an ESR version. Try downloading a new installer and using that to get back to the normal version.
That was it, thanks! Got on version 66 proper now. Fantastic, thank you all for your help.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
How does one configure adblocking on Fenix?

It's called Firefox Preview at the moment on the app list, I take it upon release it just gets called Firefox and Fenix is just the code name?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Geemer posted:

I guess it depends on how good its internal ad blocking is, but let's face it: if it can't run uBlock Origin, it's not even worth considering.
Yeah, I've got loads of custom uBlock filters to clean up some webpages I use often. I don't expect this functionality to carry over to built-in ad blocking.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
I have been using umatrix for long time but I realized only a few days ago that I could just block media globally to disable all the lovely autoplaying videos on all news pages :negative:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
what's the go-to video site downloader of choice? the one I was using broke and videodownloadhelper A: wants to install extra poo poo on my computer in order to download videos and B: wants me to pay them 30 bucks to download poo poo without a QR code watermark in the corner of the video.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
Just use youtube-dl or this GUI app for it and never look back.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Kassad posted:

Just use youtube-dl or this GUI app for it and never look back.

Youtube-dl is definitely the answer, it's free and can handle whatever you want to do with Youtube videos, whether it's downloading 1 video or a playlist, and you can get really fine grained control over what audio/video/subtitle streams you grab. It also works on other sites like Twitter and Reddit so it's a good general purpose video downloader.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's a great program, thanks so much. Since I've not updated Firefox in multiple years I'm unfamiliar with the go to addons. Is noscript still good to have alongside ublock, or is it redundant?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Whoa, youtube-dl and the GUI frontend are really good. Thanks for mentioning those.

Is there an extension that could be massaged to skip the step of copying/pasting the URL into Youtube-DLG so I could just right click the link in Feedly and click "Add to Youtube-DLG" for example?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
This is what I've been using for years... :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube_downloader_webx/

...but I'll have to look into this yt-dl front-end.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Unperson_47 posted:

Whoa, youtube-dl and the GUI frontend are really good. Thanks for mentioning those.

Is there an extension that could be massaged to skip the step of copying/pasting the URL into Youtube-DLG so I could just right click the link in Feedly and click "Add to Youtube-DLG" for example?

The open with extension can do this type of thing, but requires some setup. (Interaction with other programs is one of the more locked-down parts of webextensions. If the youtube-dl gui can take the url from its command line options it should work though.)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
jdownloader can snag youtube and will listen for links in your clipboard if you want it to. so anytime you have it open and copy a URL it will load it into a "do you want me to download this" queue

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

That's a great program, thanks so much. Since I've not updated Firefox in multiple years I'm unfamiliar with the go to addons. Is noscript still good to have alongside ublock, or is it redundant?

These days the go-to for fine-grain script (and other request) blocking is uMatrix from the same guy as uBlock. It has a much better interface than NoScript.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

This is what I've been using for years... :

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/youtube_downloader_webx/

...but I'll have to look into this yt-dl front-end.

This is what I've used before y'all brought up Youtube-DLG.

Because of my lovely internet connection and ancient desktop I use for this, queuing up downloads in an application separate from the browser is the best I can do. Trying to just open a Youtube page is kind of a pain in the rear end. The page will lock up and video downloads will hang and be unusable.

Even just Youtube-DL/DLG is a big improvement so I appreciate it greatly. Now, instead of clicking a link and hoping it loads, I just right click the link in Feedly and copy the URL and paste it in Youtube-DLG.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 19, 2019

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

Did you know you can open Youtube URLs directly in VLC? It only does 720p or 360p resolution depending on the video but it lets you watch outside of a browser without downloading.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Did you know you can open Youtube URLs directly in VLC? It only does 720p or 360p resolution depending on the video but it lets you watch outside of a browser without downloading.

I did not know that but some videos I download are often over an hour so I like being able to stop and resume with VLC auto bookmarks. I only use 360p so this may be useful in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
I need an extension that does what the Check 4 Change (c4c) extension does (it's broken for me). That is: select text -> reload page every X seconds, if selected text changed, notify me, possibly bring the tab to the front.

Does anybody have a favorite extension for this task?