Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You kind of get the impression of a chest due to the bird head

But nah her design is pretty unisex, with her face being her only real feminine trait. So of course she doesn't get to do much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Airrazor is a pretty constant presence in the second half of Season 1, though. She and Tigatron then get Vokked because their toys were off the shelf. I'm sure the giant rack didn't hurt but Blackarachnia probably got to continue on at least in part because she was a much more interesting character that could play directly off Tarantulas and his schemes.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
One thing I will say

BlackArachnia is still a good character. She never goes full good guy until well after she joins the Maximals, and the reason she DOES join them is 100% selfish.

Silverbolt also has every reason to think she could change- he himself was deluded into thinking he was a Predacon, and the two had a more personal history BEFORE he started trying to change her. He didn't know anything about Inferno beyond being a loyalist psychophant and QuickStrike was a dyed in the wool rear end in a top hat.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

So is Rattrap, but they’re okay with him.

Ba dum psh

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Keldroc posted:

Airrazor is a pretty constant presence in the second half of Season 1, though. She and Tigatron then get Vokked because their toys were off the shelf. I'm sure the giant rack didn't hurt but Blackarachnia probably got to continue on at least in part because she was a much more interesting character that could play directly off Tarantulas and his schemes.

Long live the Arachnid Alliance!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I will say that I do respect how the people making the cartoon were the ones who had the initiative to just make some of the characters just be girls. The original toys sure don't seem like they had that in mind (and neither did the Japanese).

When the toy engineers started to get with the program, they went through similar male gaze issues, but I guess better baby steps than no steps.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Blackarachnia's bio had her as a girl from the start. Airazor only got to be one because the writers noticed her original toy's bio didn't use any gendered pronouns. Same thing happened with Sonar, later on, but in the club comics.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Beast Machines writers wanted Night Scream to be female, Hasbro nixed it. They at least got Strika and... Botania...

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Beast Machines writers wanted Night Scream to be female, Hasbro nixed it. They at least got Strika and... Botania...

Takara had an unproduced triffid Transformer designed for Beast Wars 2nd. Hasbro probably planned to retool that into Botanica it it was ever made.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 17, 2019

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The MSJ posted:

Takara had an unproduced triffid Transformer designed for Beast Wars 2nd. Hasbro probably planned to retool that into Botanica it it was ever made.

Speaking of that series, wonder if there's some weird rights issues with it and Neo, as they're some of the only Japanese Transformers shows to not have gotten a Western release in any form

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

I will say that I do respect how the people making the cartoon were the ones who had the initiative to just make some of the characters just be girls. The original toys sure don't seem like they had that in mind (and neither did the Japanese).

Ratchet was originally supposed to be female; the character is named after Nurse Ratched. Hasbro wanted only male characters, though. Coincidentally the medic in Animated was originally going to be a female Red Alert but they changed it to a male Ratchet.

In Japan they dubbed Airazor with a male actor. When Airazor and Tigatron got in a relationship, they had no choice but to make them gay.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
man. I wish we'd gotten female ratchet so animated ratchet would've been an incredibly surly washed-up female medibot

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Basically the toys have always been the weirdos when it comes to gender.

The people who actually write cartoons have pushed for women to be part of the main cast since forever

Shame about G1 Comics Arcee

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burkion posted:

"Honestly! MEN!"

Sailor Goon
Feb 21, 2012

Simon Furman and Arcee are a cursed combination. Dude’s got issues. My reaction to finding out about Spotlight Arcee and momentarily getting excited about seeing some more representation for myself in the comics before reading the synopsis was basically :gbsmith:

Edit: unrelated, but I made the mistake of looking at the TFW2005 thread on that Toyworld Optimus Prime. First reply to the thread:

quote:

Really? They are competing with 3A with a transformable?

:ughh:

Sailor Goon fucked around with this message at 05:53 on May 17, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burkion posted:

Basically the toys have always been the weirdos when it comes to gender.

The people who actually write cartoons have pushed for women to be part of the main cast since forever

I know I harp on this but reminder that like a quarter to a third of Gobots just kind of ended up being female, and the strongest gender coding among them aside from their voices was cartoon Crasher's lipstick (because the toys were mesomorphic blank-faced beep-boop robots)

Reminds me I need to finish stickering Cocomone

(Another cool thing about Gobots, there's the occasional Transformer with facial hair but only Gobots has a character who has hard five-o-clock shadow like a dockworker)

(Yknow, Cy-Kill)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Any particular reason all the trading groups on Facebook are going closed/secret?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Any particular reason all the trading groups on Facebook are going closed/secret?

There's been a massive uptick in scammers. Not just in TF groups, it's like an epidemic. And everyone's insistence on using Friends & Family for payments aure doesn't help things.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The MSJ posted:

Not quite. It was control art for new molds that would be designed for the BW Telemocha series. They considered a jellyfish and a manticore as well, but they ultimately just went with redecoes for that line.

"Beast Wars: Uprising" ended up making actual characters out of them named Ráge, Flytrap, and Manticon.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 17, 2019

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I like how his head is literally stuck up his own rear end.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Arquinsiel posted:

I like how his head is literally stuck up his own rear end.

Did we ever get a term for that? I know TJOmega gave us Potus Manus for rear end-hand disease but don't recall rear end-head.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Did we ever get a term for that? I know TJOmega gave us Potus Manus for rear end-hand disease but don't recall rear end-head.

Gluteus Cranius

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

There's been a massive uptick in scammers. Not just in TF groups, it's like an epidemic. And everyone's insistence on using Friends & Family for payments aure doesn't help things.

Yeah. The one third-party group I'm in made a big post about how it's to only talk about 3P stuff which is fair, but they went on for ages about how they're not a selling site.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Captain Invictus posted:

man. I wish we'd gotten female ratchet so animated ratchet would've been an incredibly surly washed-up female medibot

Ratchet's original Tech Spec describes him as a party animal who sometimes has trouble taking his job seriously. I don't think that's been exhibited in any version of the character.

Phy posted:

I know I harp on this but reminder that like a quarter to a third of Gobots just kind of ended up being female, and the strongest gender coding among them aside from their voices was cartoon Crasher's lipstick (because the toys were mesomorphic blank-faced beep-boop robots)

James Roberts considered introducing a character who didn't look significantly different from the others and later revealing the character was female. However IDW only wanted female characters that looked traditionally, obviously female.

Action Jacktion fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 16, 2021

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Action Jacktion posted:

Ratchet's original Tech Spec describes him as a party animal who sometimes has trouble taking his job seriously. I don't think that's been exhibited in any version of the character.
It happened in that one issue of the Marvel comics where he ends up dropping Buster home late and thus misses dying with the other Autobots, leading up to him... dying like three issues later instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Realistically it looks like the secreting of FB groups is a knee jerk reaction to something that might happen?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Ratchet being grouchy and cantankerous things started out as one of those fandom interpretations that wasn't really based on anything and became canon, like the term "Seeker" and the idea that any of the three main ones from the cartoon giving a drat about each other

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Realistically it looks like the secreting of FB groups is a knee jerk reaction to something that might happen?

Apparently it's because of brigading to take down groups.

https://thenextweb.com/facebook/2019/05/16/facebook-groups-secret-bans/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Odd that they're taking note of it only now...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Apparently it's because of brigading to take down groups.

https://thenextweb.com/facebook/2019/05/16/facebook-groups-secret-bans/

Yeah it's weird as hell.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Action Jacktion posted:

James Roberts considered introducing a character who didn't look significantly different from the others and later revealing the character was female. However IDW only wanted female characters that looked obviously female.

Happily they walked that back after and we got Nickel and Lug, among others.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Transform Element's Blackarachnia looks better than the MP.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

The MSJ posted:

Transform Element's Blackarachnia looks better than the MP.

The beast mode looks better sure, but that robot mode is substantially worse, so for me the MP is still winning.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
does she have nipples or is that just really unfortunate camera flash

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

https://twitter.com/tainkirrahe/status/1129476406650523649

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

does she have nipples or is that just really unfortunate camera flash

In the show? No idea. I really hope they didn't give the model nipples but...

On that toy? No idea. I really hope they didn't give the toy nipples but...

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
goddamn, posted in the cosplay thread

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

drat that’s good. And weirdly, I can tell they used the MP as model.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Captain Invictus posted:

That's amazing!

If I were a father (I'm not) with children I didn't force into my hobby I'd make them lazerbeak and ravage costumes if they wanted to tag along.

It'd be adorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

as "meh" as this dude is, the Reprolabels really help him