Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Hot drat if I didn't do that empty party start trick, I wouldn't have beaten this Confusion/Fire Blast version of Azelf. I'm plenty pleased because this is the hardest combo to face against him, windy weather notwithstanding. I guess I should be thankful too that it wasn't sunny weather to make its Fire Blast stronger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Willsun posted:

Hot drat if I didn't do that empty party start trick, I wouldn't have beaten this Confusion/Fire Blast version of Azelf.

What is this trick you speak of? :confused:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

When you start raids, Niantic, in all their brilliance, counts the little cutscene where the boss "roars" and that giant GO! zooming in as part of the raid, so you always start with like 5-7 seconds already wasted.

To get around this, people discovered that if you start the raid with an empty party (create a new party and put nothing in any of the slots), the raid kicks you back into the lobby immediately with a few seconds added to let you pick an actual team and jump back in. When you pick a real team and go back in, you'll end up getting some of those seconds back, if not all, since you're "re-entering" and they won't play that stupid cutscene.

So what I do is set up two parties, the empty one and my real one. Countdown gets to 0 with my empty team, you don't move at all because you've been "kicked" back into the gym with the timer a second or two above 300 (because it's a level 5 raid), swipe over to my actual team as quickly as I can, then tap the REJOIN BATTLE button immediately.

If I hadn't done this, I most likely would have failed this raid because I beat Azelf at 5 seconds on the timer. Not to mention the game itself usually quits for you anyway at 2-3 seconds left on the timer to play its fading out cutscene to tell you you failed. In reality, I really only had like 2 seconds left.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Willsun posted:

When you start raids, Niantic, in all their brilliance, counts the little cutscene where the boss "roars" and that giant GO! zooming in as part of the raid, so you always start with like 5-7 seconds already wasted.

To get around this, people discovered that if you start the raid with an empty party (create a new party and put nothing in any of the slots), the raid kicks you back into the lobby immediately with a few seconds added to let you pick an actual team and jump back in. When you pick a real team and go back in, you'll end up getting some of those seconds back, if not all, since you're "re-entering" and they won't play that stupid cutscene.

So what I do is set up two parties, the empty one and my real one. Countdown gets to 0 with my empty team, you don't move at all because you've been "kicked" back into the gym with the timer a second or two above 300 (because it's a level 5 raid), swipe over to my actual team as quickly as I can, then tap the REJOIN BATTLE button immediately.

If I hadn't done this, I most likely would have failed this raid because I beat Azelf at 5 seconds on the timer. Not to mention the game itself usually quits for you anyway at 2-3 seconds left on the timer to play its fading out cutscene to tell you you failed. In reality, I really only had like 2 seconds left.

Did you solo it? Nice, what was your (not-empty) party?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hatched a shiny Cubone! :hellyeah:

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

kensei posted:

Did you solo it? Nice, what was your (not-empty) party?

Oh not solo, but duo with my own accounts. I don't think anyone can solo Azelf no matter how good your party is. Mine were this:

Account 1:
•Giratina (Origin), level 36, 96%, Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
•Giratina (Origin), level 32, 87%, Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
•Mewtwo, level 39.5, 98%, Psycho Cut/Shadow Ball
•Mewtwo, level 39.5, 96%, Psycho Cut/Shadow Ball
•Mewtwo, level 39.5, 91%, Psycho Cut/Shadow Ball
•Tyranitar, level 37, 96%, Bite/Crunch

Account 2:
•Giratina (Origin), level 33, 93%, Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
•Giratina (Origin), level 25, 87%, Shadow Claw/Shadow Ball
•Mewtwo, level 38, 98%, Psycho Cut/Shadow Ball
•Mewtwo, level 32, 84%, Psycho Cut/Shadow Ball
•Tyranitar, level 37, 89%, Bite/Crunch
•Tyranitar, level 32, 93%, Bite/Crunch

After account 1 lost the two Giratina, I backed out, max revived them, and went back in. Account 2 wiped with about a quarter of the time left and I max revived and jumped back in asap. I'm probably gonna power up and add another Giratina to each account soon because this fight taught me I'm still cutting it too close.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Willsun posted:

I've noticed if you do this trick too quickly you'll get kicked out of the raid. You usually have to wait like 2 seconds. I tried this a couple of times and got screwed over.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't played in two years. What generation are they up to and can you get legendaries?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I haven't played in two years. What generation are they up to and can you get legendaries?

They've been releasing gen4 for about the last 6 months now. Still no Garchomp.

And yes, legendaries are in raids and you can catch them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Some legendaries are also in 7 day task rewards, the current pool is just Latios, Latias, Lugia, and Ho-Oh

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've never done a raid, do I have to significantly contribute to earn anything? My best Pokemon are garbage.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've never done a raid, do I have to significantly contribute to earn anything? My best Pokemon are garbage.

Depends on the raid and how many people there are. You get a certain number of premier balls to catch the raid boss at the end, and a bonus based on your damage. That said, you’ll always get a certain number of balls regardless and if there are enough folks you can easily be carried through any boss.

You should be able to solo any 1 star raid with what you’ve got. For a 5 star you’ll probably want 5+ other folks depending on what boss is on the current rotation and how coordinated the other folks are.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
lmao they released the special lures for 200 coins per in the shop

https://i.redd.it/zrze840ftty21.jpg

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
They also took down the old sale boxes, so I'm guessing the new ones will have the new lures in them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
A bunch of new mons showed up on radar and are almost all gone already

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
So what, there are some pokemon gated behind special lures you have to buy now?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Evolutions. When you spin a stop with one of those lures on it you get a chance to evolve stuff like Magneton into Magnezone, or Eevee into Glaceon.

Edit:
*logs in*
*looks at mini-map*
*turns off Nearby Pokemon under Go-tcha settings*

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

The blog post says that they're purchasable now, but will be available as research rewards later on.

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

TheMaestroso posted:

The blog post says that they're purchasable now, but will be available as research rewards later on.

So for now just go to places visited by lots of players and hope for the best or befriend a whale.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The community day could work really well for these lures

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

mastershakeman posted:

The community day could work really well for these lures

I'm trying to get some folks in my small town to coordinate and have all 3 running near each other community day but I'm sure the elite nerds will blow their lure wads today just to be first

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
It's not that crazy, just 4 days of gym coins and not that much more than existing items. And you can also use the lures of the people who throw hundreds of :10bux: at this game.

kidfresca
Dec 31, 2007

You're kidding, right?

John Lennon, Singer of The Beatles. He wrote the song "Imagine" and was shot and killed some time in the eighties.

Fuck has the WHOLE WORLD GONE CRAZY!

I was at the park and ran into all three new types of lures in under a half hour of them releasing. I imagine going to a public park or some other Pokestop-dense place for Community Day is bound to bring a few out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Saw a bunch of Cherrim (sun form) popping out seemingly out of nowhere and got one. A couple of hours later, the radar now shows a normal form Cherrim but it's pretty far and it's the only one and it's 1am, so I'll just hope it shows up again some other time.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

saw a snow module and volv’d my 98 eevee woowowowaoo (glaceon sounds)

also garchomp looks cool i hope i can catch/hatch a high iv gabite

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Are the Shellos dudes regional now? Pink in US, blue elsewhere?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Are shiny forms for Glaceon and Leafeon confirmed? I don’t want to evolve until I’m sure they haven’t gated them for some reason.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

There are shiny forms for them, yes. I evolved two shiny Eevee earlier into a shiny Leafeon and Glacion.

Auxiliary Treats
Jun 26, 2013
Gym animations being all hosed up has made spinning stops a headache but at least it made my Machamp look like it’s launching off the top rope.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

Are the Shellos dudes regional now? Pink in US, blue elsewhere?

No. I have both colors as a USA player.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

SuperKlaus posted:

No. I have both colors as a USA player.

Both were showing up for like an hour. They have now been region locked, as far as I know/have heard.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The name trick exists for the new eevolutions, Rea for Glaceon and Linnea for Leafeon, according to sources

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Kantesu posted:

Both were showing up for like an hour. They have now been region locked, as far as I know/have heard.

Ah nice I got both.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Training a dude at work, and I already doubt he is staying because he thinks the work is beneath him. So we were at a mall today doing deliveries, I saw the new Mon and said hey, let's lunch here.

He refused because he didn't want people he knew seeing him in uniform. So we skipped lunch. This already made me mad because I was trying to be nice, he didn't say that part till after we left.

Dude is lucky his training will me is over.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You'll get the stardust in any case. You get the xp if you win. The number of balls you get to catch the raid boss is partly determined by your damage output.

Raids do not scale with the number of players, if the group you're raiding with would win without you, they will still win, even if you use nothing but level 1 pidgeys

Wheany fucked around with this message at 13:31 on May 18, 2019

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
In my city absolutely nobody will care.

I suppose it might be possible that you'd want say minimum 4 people to do the raid and as one of only 4 then you wouldn't qualify, but that's pretty rare.

crispyseaweed
Sep 21, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

The name trick exists for the new eevolutions, Rea for Glaceon and Linnea for Leafeon, according to sources

If anyone is unsure, you can confirm this without actually going through with the evolution. Renaming them changes the evolution button from a question mark to the silhouette of Leafeon or Glaceon.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cowslips Warren posted:

Training a dude at work, and I already doubt he is staying because he thinks the work is beneath him. So we were at a mall today doing deliveries, I saw the new Mon and said hey, let's lunch here.

He refused because he didn't want people he knew seeing him in uniform. So we skipped lunch. This already made me mad because I was trying to be nice, he didn't say that part till after we left.

Dude is lucky his training will me is over.

:palmon:

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

I'm worried I might also end up shiny cursed on Torchic day. I got a pink monkey just the other day, and about half an hour ago I caught a shiny hyena

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Anyone having a problem with rockers and adventure sync? Adventure sync works when I'm working out or walking to and from meetings etc, but the rocker doesn't track.