Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Senor Tron posted:

I don't want them to stray far because I think the late TNG/DS9/Voyager aesthetic could be quite faithfully replicated with updates in tech that make it look more realistic and futuristic.

No reason in a modern set for example that every LCARS panel shouldn't be animated, better lighting and materials for the sets, adopt the holographic look for viewscreens that was always implied but we never properly saw until recently.

This is pretty much what I was trying to say I want too, I guess. It may not be a very popular opinion in some circles, but one thing I really liked about Discovery is that it didn't get bogged down in being a retro property in terms of the tech. I liked that they incorporated believable (in 2019) futuristic ideas like AI, robotic labor, posthumanist and enhanced crewmembers, holograms, etc. I don't want to pretend these things won't be a part of the future just because they haven't been on screen in Trek before. Give me tech that says "this is the 24th century as envisioned in 2019" while still paying homage to the past design choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010

Pakled posted:

I can totally believe that Changelings have a knack for humanoid anatomy and would probably make good surgeons.

"Look, Marus, you're an amazing doctor, but the crew's been complaining about how you just shapeshift from your Starfleet uniform into surgical scrubs. Us solids... we get a little creeped out by it."

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey it's probably more sterile than any human could ever be.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Nah, changelings are probably 25% collected lint and crushed insect bits.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

Nah, changelings are probably 25% collected lint and crushed insect bits.

They're basically that colorful slime you used to get in gumball machines

They probably smell like astroglide, too

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This is pretty much what I was trying to say I want too, I guess. It may not be a very popular opinion in some circles, but one thing I really liked about Discovery is that it didn't get bogged down in being a retro property in terms of the tech. I liked that they incorporated believable (in 2019) futuristic ideas like AI, robotic labor, posthumanist and enhanced crewmembers, holograms, etc. I don't want to pretend these things won't be a part of the future just because they haven't been on screen in Trek before. Give me tech that says "this is the 24th century as envisioned in 2019" while still paying homage to the past design choices.

Good thing about the post-TNG era is that it's really suitable for that given that canon already says that a lot of tech is at wizard did it levels.

I can't remember from Nemesis, does anyone remember if B9 had an emotion chip? Data is one of the few characters I'd like to see make a reappearance just because it would be nice to see him as a well rounded individual after 20+ years of having emotions.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I don't know if this is a joke but it was B4

Because it came before, as though you'd name your prototype that. It's like imagining people in BCE using those dates, counting down to ???

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Senor Tron posted:

Good thing about the post-TNG era is that it's really suitable for that given that canon already says that a lot of tech is at wizard did it levels.

Wizard Did It levels combined with ridiculous stuff like a different bulky PADD for each individual document.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Engines: 10%
Life Support: 10%
Weapons: 5%
Replicating PADDs: 5000%
Shields: 5%

Someone who is good at the starship power economy help me budget this, my crew is dying

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Senor Tron posted:

It does look like they are using the late 24th century Starfleet insignia as seen in most future timelines which is both a nice sign to me that they are paying attention to what has already been established, while also hilarious because that design was clearly meant to just be a one-off "Hey look how different things are!" indicator that is actually pretty drat ugly.

This one?

Agreed that it'd be a great little nod to all of us fans who are nerdy enough to care about such things, but I don't think it's ugly at all. I think it'd be great. (I'm not convinced from the leaked photos that it's what's actually being used though; there just aren't enough pixels there to be sure.)

I've never really cared for the uniforms that often went with it though:

Orv
May 4, 2011
You wouldn't be proud to wear a pillowcase in service of the Federation?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Almost finished with season 4 of DS9. This show goes to the mirror universe so much more than the other ST shows I've watched. About to start e20 s4. If Lwaxana doesn't call Worf Woof, I will be disappointed. Even though I've never watched TOS, I find myself getting pumped for s5 Tribble episode I somehow know about. How much of TOS is worth watching? I've seen all the movies but worry that it might have aged too much for me to get into it.

Does anyone else think it's inevitable that Netflix loses all the Star Trek shows in the US? Part of what pushed me to finally get into the series was this thought.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm sure the reasons are actually known but as I understand it the Netflix license for Trek was supposed to expire years ago and it keeps sticking around so if they haven't pulled it for CBSAA by now I don't really expect them to.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Spacebump posted:

How much of TOS is worth watching? I've seen all the movies but worry that it might have aged too much for me to get into it.

I'm of the minority opinion that TOS is largely boring to bad, but there are some good episodes in the mix like Balance of Terror and Spock's Brain.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

CaveGrinch posted:

Wizard Did It levels combined with ridiculous stuff like a different bulky PADD for each individual document.

Picard is just onna those guys who raves about how good it is to have 500 monitors

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Grand Fromage posted:

Pthere are some good episodes in the mix like Spock's Brain.

Not loving cool man

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

FOR SALE: RAN WHEN PARKED

Veotax posted:

The collar is part of the jumpsuit rather than the under-shirt on these, which also gives these more colour than the DS9/Voyager uniforms.

Looks like they're using the 'future' combadges in that shot?

I noticed that too. The combadges have that bifurcated/asymmetrical look. If so, that's a nice nod to the designs they old Star Trek team was doing for the "future" stuff in the 90s. Also they appear to be a split tunic/pants and not a jumpsuit.

I appreciate that, because I could honestly live without those uniforms and they aren't really "canon", just part of a possible future that never occurred. But it's cool to have some links to the old production designs. One thing to remember is that we had the same production team working from 1987 to 2005 and AFAIK none of those people are involved in Current Trek. When they did TNG, Gene Roddenberry started by getting the band back together and bringing in a bunch of TOS production people and writers (even if a lot of them were gone after a season or two). So with this new iteration, it's nice to see connections to the old.

Even though I'm a huge canon stickler, I am pretty open to new tech designs that don't look like the "future" of Star Trek as shown in the old shows. I've been wanting a show to go beyond Voyager's era since...Voyager. It give them free reign to show cool stuff. The one thing they're gonna have to watch is contrasting between the various shows: unless DISCO goes to the Andromeda Future and the Federation is wrecked and the galaxy is in a dark age, STP has to have futuristic tech that's :

1) More advanced than Voyager/Nemesis
2) Less advanced than whatever we see Discovery encountering in the 32nd century
3) 100+ years more advanced than whatever The Pike Show/Section 31 show is rocking, which looks pretty drat futuristic already
4) Something something 29th century stuff we saw in Voyager
5) Enterprise J :barf:

As they are NOT using the old production team, it's gonna look very much non Okuda/Robert Blackman/John Eaves/Doug Drexler but if you play as fast and loose with that as this team did with the TOS era designs, it's gonna be a nightmare keeping it straight and realistic across 3 distinct time periods.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

The Bloop posted:

I don't know if this is a joke but it was B4

Because it came before, as though you'd name your prototype that. It's like imagining people in BCE using those dates, counting down to ???

It was an accident, I probably got it combined in my head with K9 from Doctor Who.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

This one?

Agreed that it'd be a great little nod to all of us fans who are nerdy enough to care about such things, but I don't think it's ugly at all. I think it'd be great. (I'm not convinced from the leaked photos that it's what's actually being used though; there just aren't enough pixels there to be sure.)

I've never really cared for the uniforms that often went with it though:

Every time I see these uniforms I think of the lovely long-sleeve polos old guys (and Ron Swanson) wear. :barf:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Spacebump posted:

How much of TOS is worth watching?

Majority of season 1, like 1/2 of season 2, and a handful of episodes of season 3 are actually good. Whole thing including the blah and actually terrible episodes is worth watching.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Every time I see these uniforms I think of the lovely long-sleeve polos old guys (and Ron Swanson) wear. :barf:

They suck big time but I was always low-key impressed they managed to consistently use them in each of the three Star Trek's respective 2390+ future episodes

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

So like if Changelings just make their clothes on them when they take humanoid form, do their clothes feel? Would it hurt them to have a haircut?

Rly makes u think

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Astroman posted:

As they are NOT using the old production team, it's gonna look very much non Okuda/Robert Blackman/John Eaves/Doug Drexler but if you play as fast and loose with that as this team did with the TOS era designs, it's gonna be a nightmare keeping it straight and realistic across 3 distinct time periods.

Our pal John Eaves actually designed the Crossfield-class, amongst other things for DISCO!

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

Majority of season 1, like 1/2 of season 2, and a handful of episodes of season 3 are actually good. Whole thing including the blah and actually terrible episodes is worth watching.

Pretty much this, if you're going to watch approximately half the episodes anyway, by this more or less conventional wisdom, you might as well watch them all. You might be surprised just how good the best episodes are, and you might like some that others don't.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Also some of the worst season 3 episodes (Spock’s Brain) have a lot of comedic value

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I expect everyone has at least one episode they like despite conventional wisdom saying it's terrible, and that quite possibly being true. (Mine's 'The Lights of Zetar'.)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I legit like Threshold. And Spock's Brain.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Pick posted:

Imagine looking at Siskos brain, and thinking, oh poo poo, I could've pulled that off

Brain and BRAIN, WHAT!
...is.
[grinning]
...brain.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Payndz posted:

I expect everyone has at least one episode they like despite conventional wisdom saying it's terrible, and that quite possibly being true. (Mine's 'The Lights of Zetar'.)

Lights of Zetar has some memorably creepy psychedelic/horror imagery but the plot is blah. “Scotty falls for his subordinate” is a thing they already did once (Apollo) and that episode was much better and had a less cringey subtext. Also, these energy beings can warp through space just fine without any kind of vessel and facetank blasts from the Enterprise’s phasers, but a nonlethal level of high pressure is enough to force them out of a human body? What?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I legit like Threshold. And Spock's Brain.

Spock’s Brain is hilarious and a secret metacommentary from Coon on how producers and other studio-dwelling gremlins kept trying to dumb the show down.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Call me crazy, but I think making the group of characters who are analogies for the mentally disabled and neurodivergent into evil shapeshifting aliens would be a terrible, terrible idea.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Payndz posted:

No one likes The Alternative Factor, though

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

But what of Lazarus

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

ashpanash posted:

No one likes The Alternative Factor, though

Hi I do

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Nodosaur posted:

Call me crazy, but I think making the group of characters who are analogies for the mentally disabled and neurodivergent into evil shapeshifting aliens would be a terrible, terrible idea.

Did you not see the episode where Odo goes "honestly whats with the founders man" and the female changeling replies with "we're all on the spectrum, odo."

Or when odo defeats that one changeling because he touched him and he starts screaming and dissolves into black dust?

It already happened man

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Yeah, I. I don't have any response to that but "Jesus Christ." No, just no, dude.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I'm pretty sure B4 was B9 in some of the early drafts, I remember paying attention a lot to production leaks back then.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Emerson Cod posted:

I'm pretty sure B4 was B9 in some of the early drafts, I remember paying attention a lot to production leaks back then.

.....Why?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

I did too. IIRC, the script leaked like a full year before the movie came out.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Both B9 and B4 pissed me off. Even Soong should be above that level of forced wordplay, and he's named his other kids "Data" and "Lore" so that's not saying much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They thought he could be a threat but he was benign