Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

flakeloaf posted:

yeah i scrolled and missed the topic change

you're probably not gonna get dunked when the big one hits

meanwhile in ottawa literally two weeks of loving rain

it'd be really good if the whole thing turned out to be mismanagement of the dams. im really betting on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

flooding doesn't look that bad, water's not even up over the sides of the boats

well, you know what they say about rising tides

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

well, you know what they say about rising tides

they'll wash away my turds?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27976/people-are-being-arrested-and-jailed-due-to-hertz-erroneously-reporting-rental-cars-stolen-report

quote:

Reports of Hertz customers finding themselves in hot water after renting a vehicle from the Florida-based company are on the rise, and the culprit appears to be a faulty computer system and poor office management. The majority of the cases claim Hertz reported vehicles stolen to the police when they were actually being legitimately rented by customers, causing major issues for the renters and anyone unlucky enough to be riding with them.

According to ABC Action News, these affected customers ended up in handcuffs and in the back of a police car in the majority of the cases. A few people were even met with the business ends of a firearm and were taken into custody forcefully after disagreeing with police. Some actually endured the terrible experience of spending a few hours in jail—but a few either spent considerable time behind bars— once case resulting in two weeks in prison. However, almost every time, erroneously charged renters are still fighting the charges they received in court and all the fines that come along with them.

Hertz manages tens of millions of rentals each year, which makes these 30 or so stories exceptionally rare, but not any less bizarre. The recent claims don't explain how exactly these mix-ups happen, but some of the renters reported switching vehicles, upgrading cars, or reporting mechanical issues before being approached by the law. One driver returned a vehicle for a flat tire and was given another to drive instead, and when the company did not complete paperwork for the second vehicle, the car was reported stolen and the police got involved. Another driver was alerted to an expired registration on her rental but was ultimately arrested before she could even return the car a few days later.

obv it's a software bug

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

honestly i'm fully willing to believe accenture caused this too

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i wonder if i can use my last 5k hertz points without getting charges filed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i got this in the recommends:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27980/florida-manatee-orgy-near-tampa-bay-highway-causes-worlds-most-awkward-traffic-jam

good job manatees :3:

quote:

Approximately a dozen of the creatures were spotted by commuters offshore of Courtney Campbell Causeway, reports Fox 13. The news channel says it received several calls from drivers commuting via the road—many of whom pulled over to watch the spectacle—reporting a possible whale in distress. On arrival, a news helicopter discovered the herd of manatees engaging in a rarely seen reproduction practice known as a "mating ball."

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

why did you link the halfassed copy and paste job from lovely clickbait news page instead of the hardworking journalists who broke this story

they didn’t even include the slimy press release from Hertz

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
https://twitter.com/JLcab74/status/1129327231761813504

apparently the silent ride button was a step too far

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

i'd pay extra

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

crushing people financially through exploitation? mehhh

being arguably rude? woah, waoh1!!!!! hold up!!!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
yeah uh the evidence was pretty conclusive years beforehand, bud

also lmao @ all the not-so-casual racism in the comments there

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

El_Elegante posted:

why did you link the halfassed copy and paste job from lovely clickbait news page instead of the hardworking journalists who broke this story

they didn’t even include the slimy press release from Hertz

because it was a halfassed post

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I remember arguing with my company's CTO or whatever he was years ago about the viability of self driving cars (in 2014... but they'll be here any day now!!!).

At the end of the argument he admitted all he really wanted was to not have to make small talk with the driver.

5 years later, uber changes the game with a "I prefer not to make small talk with the driver" button.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idk it might also have something to do with female presenting folks getting constantly sexually harassed by drivers [which was one of the reasons a lot of women I knew switched from taxis in the first place]

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sagebrush posted:

i think in california this one at least triggers ellis act stuff and requires that they pay you 2 years of rent as a penalty

afaik california doesn't guarantee you poo poo, at state level

in los angeles, at least, landlords have the right to evict you at any time if they wish to occupy the unit themselves, or put a family member in there. so even if you have a 2 year lease or whatever, as soon as the landlord needs housing, you're out on your rear end

i believe the bay area has similar local ordinances but lol so many muncipalities

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

qirex posted:

idk it might also have something to do with female presenting folks getting constantly sexually harassed by drivers [which was one of the reasons a lot of women I knew switched from taxis in the first place]

you'd think they'd have added a "i don't want to be sexually menaced" button when they implemented the safe ride fee

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
good luck getting Big Travis to sign off on that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
ok so i looked it up and it's even worse than i thought

the ellis act actually requires local municipalities to permit landlords to evict tenants for the sake of landlord occupancy

a few municipalities (e.g. SF) require landlords to pay tenants a token amount, but i don't think landlords are gonna care about a one-time $5k charge to boot tenants when the alternative is living in the street

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
My home is an investment and I'm going to be the richest homeless person when i sell it :10bux::20bux:💸

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ComradeCosmobot posted:

lol no pretty much the exact opposite will happen as

• most of the soft-story housing needing seismic retrofits... are the apartment complexes built before 2000 that have tuck-under parking, not the single-story, single-family dwellings that dominate among the suburban house-rich, and
  • most of the liquifaction risk in the posted map is born by poorer and denser areas like... east san jose and everything northeast of caltrain, pointedly excluding rich enclaves like cupertino, saratoga and los altos, and conveniently creating “safe, liquifaction-free” carve-outs for much of palo alto, menlo park and atherton despite them being closer to the bay

basically, the big one will primarily destroy the housing stock of newer, poorer, and denser neighborhoods, while leaving the older, richer, less dense neighborhoods of the rich nimbies untouched (except for the super rich nimbies south of los gatos... they’re still hosed, but that’s not gonna do a lot to clear space for housing development)

ah but you're neglecting the massive widespread fires that traditionally accompany devastating seismic events which i'm sure will do much to clear out the deadwood of single-family housing

but for real it's obviously a nonsense "solution" that just gets brought up in here a lot, there's no reason to think it'd be beneficial to anyone other than the exact same people who stand to gain from another housing market collapse: banks and the wealthy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ah but you're neglecting the massive widespread fires that traditionally accompany devastating seismic events which i'm sure will do much to clear out the deadwood of single-family housing

but for real it's obviously a nonsense "solution" that just gets brought up in here a lot, there's no reason to think it'd be beneficial to anyone other than the exact same people who stand to gain from another housing market collapse: banks and the wealthy

if your house is gutted by fire after a seismic event, will regular homeowners cover that?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

sounds like an act of god to me

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if your house is gutted by fire after a seismic event, will regular homeowners cover that?

No

Anything they can link to an earthquake they’re going to deny coverage for under regular homeowners and require an earthquake policy for

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the practical answer is no, if two things contributed (one covered, one not) regular homeowners insurance will say it was the non-covered one. this happened with the "storm surge" claims from katrina. you'll need to fight them to prove that it was a covered loss.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pretty sure most homeowners insurance explicitly doesn't cover seismic damage but will cover fire damage

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

narp, sine qua non means cosigners qualify not

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

also, five years ago the answer would have been "eh congress will step in with disaster aid" but lol at the idea that if republicans have any say there will be a single dollar going to a liberal area in a liberal state no matter what disaster strikes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

evilweasel posted:

the practical answer is no, if two things contributed (one covered, one not) regular homeowners insurance will say it was the non-covered one. this happened with the "storm surge" claims from katrina. you'll need to fight them to prove that it was a covered loss.

remember how mad people got about the federal government subsidizing flood insurance when these stories started coming out

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
people still have their lives wrecked from the camp fire

hell people are still wrecked from the Sonoma/Napa fire

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

remember how mad people got about the federal government subsidizing flood insurance when these stories started coming out

there is a serious argument that the structure of flood insurance incentivizes rebuilding in flood zones, which is the problematic part. obviously you shouldn't use the flood insurance to push people out who can't afford to leave - but once a house is wrecked and you hand the family a check, if the area is sufficiently likely to flood you probably want them to take that check and build a house in a non-flood zone rather than in the flood zone again.

that issue, of course, got mixed up in the idea of pushing poor people out right now and all sorts of other bad ideas

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

evilweasel posted:

there is a serious argument that the structure of flood insurance incentivizes rebuilding in flood zones, which is the problematic part. obviously you shouldn't use the flood insurance to push people out who can't afford to leave - but once a house is wrecked and you hand the family a check, if the area is sufficiently likely to flood you probably want them to take that check and build a house in a non-flood zone rather than in the flood zone again.

that issue, of course, got mixed up in the idea of pushing poor people out right now and all sorts of other bad ideas

also that the payouts disproportionally benefit rich assholes who keep building in high risk areas willfully

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/pinboard/status/1129412725438861312

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

also that the payouts disproportionally benefit rich assholes who keep building in high risk areas willfully

yeah there's a whole lot of rich people's vacation beach houses we're all going to be subsidizing due to global warming which is not a super use of tax dollars

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lancemantis posted:

people still have their lives wrecked from the camp fire

hell people are still wrecked from the Sonoma/Napa fire

my friend who lives in chico where everyone from the camp fire went says that after the initial press coverage all the help just up and left and now they have an entire other town's worth of people dumped on them with barely any housing or support

simultaneously the news is regularly running stories like "homelessness / food insecurity / meth use / whatever rises the most in chico over the last year compared to any other california city, what happened?!" without a hint of awareness or irony

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

also due to the influx of crazy right wingers (of which quite a lot of people in paradise were) he encountered his very first case of "person with a megaphone and a sandwich board yells about you going to hell for being GAY SINNERS" :allears:

it happened at the college and was so unusual that everyone took videos of it and called the authorities and there was news coverage lmao. like gently caress dude that's on every street corner every single weekend in a red state, i barely even notice them anymore

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 17, 2019

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

A seven hundred dollar doorknob

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

flakeloaf posted:

A seven hundred dollar doorknob

why are you signing an empty post

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
all this camp fire talk is making me remember the time fort mcmurray burned to the ground and hoo boy is that some good schadenfreude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you mean the fires that impact denser housing more because of the decreased clearance between townhomes and greater number of people out of housing when a single apartment complex burns compared to a single suburban house?

thank you for proving my point more lol