Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Just preordered, placing more emphasis on individual characters gave me some strong CK2 vibes, while at the same time the game keeps the hero-factor from Warhammer. Also I'm a huge nerd for Chinese historical action-movies like Red Cliff or The Emperor and the Assassin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Since it's coming out in less than a week now, someone wanna jump on a thread for it?

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

To Total War vets, does this one seem more complicated than the others? Do they have decent tutorials? Im watching the ~official~ stream and I have no idea whats going on, but I love anything 3 Kingdoms related so im wondering if me, a dipshit, should take the plunge and just preorder

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Koramei posted:

Since it's coming out in less than a week now, someone wanna jump on a thread for it?

This is the thread for the historical games afaik

Probably could do with a new OP though

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
No, this is just the general total war thread, new games have always gone in different threads. I don't always see the need to refresh threads for the same game like happens sometimes, but lumping in the talk about a game from this year with posts from a decade ago seems needless.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

StabMasterArson posted:

To Total War vets, does this one seem more complicated than the others? Do they have decent tutorials? Im watching the ~official~ stream and I have no idea whats going on, but I love anything 3 Kingdoms related so im wondering if me, a dipshit, should take the plunge and just preorder

From what I’ve watched it doesn’t seem much more complicated than the additions they made to Attila - it seems better explained and easier to manage than the growth/food/development stuff in Attila, too. I’m skeptical about 3K since all their historical games since TWW have been lovely at launch and just mediocre after DLC (Rome 2, Attila, Thrones of Brittania), the unit sizes look hella small, and it’s emphasis on agents/campaign map abilities has me worried that it’s going to degenerate into the agent spam the TW AI has traditionally liked but I don’t think it will be meaningfully more complex than earlier games

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

StabMasterArson posted:

There are more options for espionage and more pronounced family and general relationships. Food management looks completely different too, you couldn't stockpile food in other games. I don't recall any TW game where you could buy food too.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Attila was good* from launch, actually

*ignoring performance

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

StabMasterArson posted:

There are ingame tutorial videos. You can see buttons for them when streamers go to the Settings menu.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

From what I’ve watched it doesn’t seem much more complicated than the additions they made to Attila - it seems better explained and easier to manage than the growth/food/development stuff in Attila, too. I’m skeptical about 3K since all their historical games since TWW have been lovely at launch and just mediocre after DLC (Rome 2, Attila, Thrones of Brittania), the unit sizes look hella small, and it’s emphasis on agents/campaign map abilities has me worried that it’s going to degenerate into the agent spam the TW AI has traditionally liked but I don’t think it will be meaningfully more complex than earlier games

As long as you pay attention to who comes into your faction there is jackshit the AI can do to you in regards to agent spam.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Is there a good video about espionage for 3k?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Third World Reagan posted:

Is there a good video about espionage for 3k?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfzwCV40Vsg&t=13s

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Is there any fun Total War or Rot3K discord where I can get my fill of incredibly niche memes about Cao Cao trolling people?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

As long as you pay attention to who comes into your faction there is jackshit the AI can do to you in regards to agent spam.

"Huh, this defector from Wei sure seems eager to take command of one of my armies right in the core of my empire"

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

"Huh, this defector from Wei sure seems eager to take command of one of my armies right in the core of my empire"

TBF that happened alot in the source material.

Wow I can't believe I was able to get guan yu to forsake his sworn brothers and join me by giving him a beard cover!

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

I can't believe lu bu, the bastard of 3 fathers, has betrayed me

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Frog Act posted:

Nah dude. The units have a max setting of like 240 dudes per (infantry) group, and agents don't exist as on-map units, only as characters in armies and governments.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

The units look small cause you have like 3 generals per army and they take up a slot each.

No agents on the map is good. Though ThroB had that and still has bizzarely slow turn times for what it is.
But I think ThroB was mystifyingly 32bit and based on the attila engine (lmao)

E they can't be crazy enough to do that again right?

I hope this game does well in China, TW seems pretty popular over there judging by all the Chinese translations of warhammer mods
That way we might get TW Taiping War

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 17, 2019

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

They don’t seem small to me. There’s still 18 slots for units, which is at least as many as I usually have in a Warhammer army by the time you deduct the lord and a hero. Then in records you have three more bodyguard units.

Anno fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 17, 2019

feller
Jul 5, 2006

StabMasterArson posted:

You should wait and make sure there are no glaring problems with the game when it comes out. You can still get the “free” dlc if you buy it the first week after launch.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yeah only freaks like me should preorder TW games. Rome 2 straight up didn't work for me for about 4 months.

Attila doesn't work to this day, heyooooo

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The feels of remembering every borked launch or patch from CA.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Collector’s edition unpacked: Guan Yu looks nice, art book is meh, game won’t unlock now. Cat loves the red chest :3:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

not mine but looks ok

Also apparently this is doing really well for chinese streamers and this makes me want to believe in cathay for total warhammer 2. I am sorry, this is my dream.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Yes my Chinese brothers and sisters please make this dumb series live forever

feller
Jul 5, 2006

How hard will it be to get the swarthy bandit and guan yu out of the criminal liu bei’s faction and into whatever cool one I’m playing instead?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Senor Dog posted:

How hard will it be to get the swarthy bandit and guan yu out of the criminal liu bei’s faction and into whatever cool one I’m playing instead?

They may not have been born on the same day but they will die on the same day

So presumably pretty hard, knowing CA though they'll do some weird screw up where theyr the most treacherous allies in the game though

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
A lot of the big tw streamers don't like the mustering thing, I guess they skipped over ToB.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Do faction leader characters age/die in this or are they just immortal like in warhammer?

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do faction leader characters age/die in this or are they just immortal like in warhammer?

They age and die.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

ad090 posted:

They age and die.

Yesssss

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Senor Dog posted:

Me, next week:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucRAzxS9r0c&t=152s

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Senor Dog posted:

At least a couple of streamers have been able to get Liu Bei to sell one of his brothers (via marriage) for a lump sum.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Is it possible to send spies somwehre in particular? Or do you have to just send them out into the world and hope your target picks them up?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hentai Jihadist posted:

They may not have been born on the same day but they will die on the same day

So presumably pretty hard, knowing CA though they'll do some weird screw up where theyr the most treacherous allies in the game though

Well, Liu Bei is kind of a professional traitor, so...:v:

Or is that :thejoke:?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gay Horney posted:

Is it possible to send spies somwehre in particular? Or do you have to just send them out into the world and hope your target picks them up?

When sending out spies you choose which faction they go to and then you have to hope that said faction recruits them.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Note however that they scout along the way to give you campaign map line of sight whether or not they end up employed.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, Liu Bei is kind of a professional traitor, so...:v:

Or is that :thejoke:?

I thought that was Lu Bu

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tythas posted:

I thought that was Lu Bu

Despite what the novel may try to say Liu Bei did many questionable things even as he proclaimed his nobility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Hunt11 posted:

Despite what the novel may try to say Liu Bei did many questionable things even as he proclaimed his nobility.

To be fair, it is likely that at worst he was no better than any other warlord at the time. His bros are kinda lovely though.

That said, the takeover of Yi Providence, which formed the basis of the Shu kingdom pretty much was a huge act of betrayal.

I am torn. I am never able to get into Total War for long even though I love the idea of the games, but I really do like Three Kingdoms stuff and the actual history behind them.

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 17, 2019