Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

STR posted:

I dunno about actual train horns, but some not-high-pitched air horns on the Saturn would be pretty loving hilarious. And a lot more effective than the poo poo horn it has now.

I put horns from a 1990 Cadillac DeVille on my old Altima. It got the "hey chucklefuck CHECK YOUR GODDAMN MIRRORS, YOU'RE ABOUT TO HIT ME" point across MUCH better than the lovely "meep meep" it had before (and people could never figure out where it was coming from after they finished making GBS threads themselves :v:)

That reminds me that I need to pick up a bunch of older GM horns next time I'm in the salvage yard. I'm tired of our Kia going "meep!" The RX-7 is going to get one of the "Bad Boy Blaster" self-contained air horns, as will the motorcycle.
I did put one of the spare horns from my Cutlass on my brother-in-law's Ford Festiva almost 20 years ago. Didn't keep him from getting run off the road, ripping a hole in the oil pan, though.

KillHour posted:

People in the US are morons and will sit in the left lane with a fifth wheel towing a 40' RV towing a boat.

Not inaccurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Applebees Appetizer posted:

This argument is getting pretty tired now but I guess it's better than arguing about politics :v:

Not emptyquoting

T-Square
May 14, 2009

KillHour posted:

Why would you voluntarily pay for a PBR?

Them's fightin' words.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's argue about pizza.

Hot Take: The west coast doesn't know a loving thing about what makes pizza good.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I've made pizza several times now from scratch inspired by Binging With Babish's method, and it's probably the best pizza I've ever had in my opinion. Which is cool, because I made it myself.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Let's argue about pizza.

Hot Take: The west coast doesn't know a loving thing about what makes pizza good.

Hotter take: All pizzas are good, like beer. Whether you prefer the particular toppings or brew is a subjective personal opinion.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

T-Square posted:

I've made pizza several times now from scratch inspired by Binging With Babish's method, and it's probably the best pizza I've ever had in my opinion. Which is cool, because I made it myself.

Home made pizza is usually pretty drat good. Post the recipe please, I'm always up for more variations.

All I do with mine is make a basic dough and then cold rise it in the fridge for a few days, taking time to beat the air out of it for a few minutes each day. Fermented dough >>>>>>>>>>>>>> no flavour dough. *edit: If you try this method I must warn you to saran wrap/cling film the bowl tightly as the dough will rise and try to escape. Scraping dough out of a fridge is a depressing waste.

Also I have no idea if you get it elsewhere in the world but just trust me, Reggae Reegae jerk chicken marinade as your sauce is a loving win. It's rare I use a tomato based sauce anymore. A friend and I were making pizza like 10 years ago and asked if I had any sauces so I pulled a bottle out of the cupboard and it was super tasty. He then said "shall we mix the pizza sauce half and half with this?" so we did and it was pretty good. He then said "maybe just the reggae??" and it was reallllll good so it's now the standard. This is what it looks like:

The other pizza standard I have at pizza parties at my joint is the sweet chilli sauce starter pizza. Just sweet chilli sauce on the base and turf some nice mature cheddar on it with oregano. Good poo poo.

Pizza is awesome.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 17, 2019

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

InitialDave posted:

Of all the things you could use to tow that have a short wheelbase, the Defender is one of the better options, they have a very short overhang, so the ratio of wheelbase to rear-axle-to-towball length isn't that awful, plus more weight and a better drivetrain than the majority of the options that would fit in the same kind of footprint.

I agree about keeping below kerb weight for towing, 85% is the usual advice given here, irrespective of a higher rating.

It's not that towing isn't easier with something big and powerful, it's just that a lot of people seem to have very silly ideas that you "can't" tow with a normal car, and for the sort of small utility trailer etc that would do the majority of tasks people would benefit from (all those "I need to call my buddy who has a pickup to move this crap for me" sort of jobs with big bits of furniture or garden waste or whatever), it really is absolutely fine.

Something like my dad's setup of a twin axle car trailer behind a 2.0 diesel 3 series is utterly unremarkable to me, but for some reason lots of people in the US seem to immediately regard that sort of thing as needing a pickup or SUV to pull.

No argument with any of that. I myself have a crappy Harbor Freight trailer that I use for many dumb things, as seen below:

In no way do I need the LC to tow that, it's just what I have. (Also note hilarious angle of the trailer relative to the height of the hitch) Something that small can more or less be safely towed behind anything.

Where things get sketchy are when yahoos decide it's ok to bumper-tow more serious trailers (call them >~4k+ lbs curb weight) behind stuff that's ill-suited to it due to the trailer's tongue weight, the wheelbase of the towing vehicle, or the logistical aspects of the vehicle itself re: brakes, transmission and engine cooling, etc.

A trailer wagging the dog is super bad, and when we're talking lighter vehicles and heavier trailers, or a lighter vehicle with a short wheelbase (what's a Defender weigh - <4k lbs?) with a big load behind it, the chance of poo poo going wrong increases quickly. I saw a JK Wrangler on its side last year with two jetskis behind it all dumped upside down in the median of a 70 mph highway on a clear day. poo poo happens and minimizing the risk of that for any of us or the people around us is worth doing.

~fin~

Pizza: I don't even know what the gently caress is good anymore. Dollar-a-slice in NYC: great or the greatest?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Drop what you are doing and go see John Wick 3. Goddamn what an amazing movie

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Under 24hrs of actually wrenching time over the last two evenings and all of today to go from a pile of component parts to a fully installed, running 6 cylinder turbo diesel engine in an 80 series.

Im wrecked but seeing the look on my mates face when his truck started up and ran again for the first time in over a month was worth every single minute.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
All pizzas are valid as pizza. There are no pizza rules because pizza truly rules

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Let's argue about pizza.

This is very true. However, Pizzeria Bianca in Phoenix does, in fact, rule.

I'm partial to my city's pizza, though.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/is-americas-pizza-capital-buffalo-new-york

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ferremit posted:

Under 24hrs of actually wrenching time over the last two evenings and all of today to go from a pile of component parts to a fully installed, running 6 cylinder turbo diesel engine in an 80 series.

Im wrecked but seeing the look on my mates face when his truck started up and ran again for the first time in over a month was worth every single minute.

Wow, congrats and well done. 80s are fantastic and worth keeping on the road.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I think ive got about three times as much time in the wiring as I do in the mechanic work at this point. Bout an hr or so to tidy up loose ends tomorrow and its test drive time!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

meatpimp posted:

Hotter take: All pizzas are good, like beer. Whether you prefer the particular toppings or brew is a subjective personal opinion.

Thank you!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Home made pizza is usually pretty drat good. Post the recipe please, I'm always up for more variations.

For the dough, off the top of my head, you measure out 500G of bread flour (he does 250G each of bread flour and 00 flour, I just use all bread flour and its still super good), 8G kosher salt, and two teaspoons of active dry yeast (pretty much one whole small packet) and whisk it together lightly, then add 325mL of room temp water and mix together. Then I turn it out onto the counter/table until I have a rough ball of dough, put it back into an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and let it sit over night or up to 24 hours. I usually then transfer it to the fridge for like two days to ferment a little more. It's usually good for three or four small to medium sized pizzas.

The sauce is what makes it, I think though. Drizzle some olive oil in a pan, and lightly blonde three or four thinly sliced cloves of garlic, then add a 28oz can (or your equivalent) of whole San Marzano tomatoes and roughly chop them up with your spoon while they simmer, and I add in onion powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Usually simmer for about 30 minutes, and then dump the whole thing into a blender and pulse a couple of times to get it nice and saucy. My personal favorite is topping with a few hunks of fresh mozzarella and some pancetta.

Edit: Also, fresh basil. Can't forget the fresh basil.

Also, also, for anyone trying this at home for the first time, absolutely get a pizza stone/steel and a wooden pizza peel. Working with fresh dough is a huge pain in the rear end if you don't and you'll get mad like I did.

T-Square fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 17, 2019

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Let's argue about pizza.

Same in Florida, although we recently found a place that makes Chicago style and it’s really good. Apparently some places have started using water from up north to try to get it right because the water down here sucks for making good dough.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
There is a brewery near me in Bellevue called Resonate that uses the spent grain from their beer mash to make their pizza dough. They ferment it for 3 days so it's got a sourdough kind of flavor and it's loving delicious. Their beer is also pretty tasty.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Drop what you are doing and go see John Wick 3. Goddamn what an amazing movie

Loved it. Better than 2. 1>3>2.

Some glorious kills and action. I didn't watch any trailers and you shouldn't either.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Same in Florida, although we recently found a place that makes Chicago style and it’s really good. Apparently some places have started using water from up north to try to get it right because the water down here sucks for making good dough.

Man song exploder is so great, thanks for that. Im dling a bunch since I dont want to stop every 10-15mins to go to the next one but that lead me to Lost Notes podcast which is also great. Generally 30 minute episodes of music history. So far the one about Louie, Louie and pirate radio in the 90s were freaking awesome. I love how in Song Exploder they dont always pick the hit to talk about. The first one I listened to was REM doing Try Not to Sleep from Automatic for the People and that is my favorite song on the album rather than Everybody Hurts which they played on the radio all the time. I also like that the first episode was The Postal Service since that album is like almost top ten of my all time favorites. I can see listening to a couple of the bands that they talk about too that I hadnt heard before and it always rules to find new stuff.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

That is part of the secret yeah.

Hot Take 2: Chicago makes better NY style pizza than NYC

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Rhyno posted:

That is part of the secret yeah.

Hot Take 2: Chicago makes better NY style pizza than NYC

Pizzapapalis in Detroit makes better Chicago style pizza than Chicago.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Maybe just me but I strongly prefer Grace jerk bbq sauce to Reggae Reggae on a pizza. Probably easier to find in most parts of the world too.

There's an Indian fusion pizza place up the road from me and the pies are loving brilliant, paneer and fenugreek are better toppings than pepperoni and I'll fite u over it

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 17, 2019

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

T-Square posted:

All of this towing chat is reminding me I need to get a hitch and small bike trailer for hauling my dirtbike behind my new-to-me TDI.

Do it, TDI makes a great to pig for dirt bikes and stuff. Hell I've pulled the Locost behind it but that's pushing what I feel comfortable, ~1500lb for trailer and car. The Lola, at 1200lb car+trailer, towed significantly better.

I'll probably still rent a truck for tracks 4+ hours away but it's nice knowing I can tow locally with the DD.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

This is very true. However, Pizzeria Bianca in Phoenix does, in fact, rule.

It's good, but honestly the crowds there are too nuts to deal with.

Yet I have no problem waiting in line far longer for Little Miss BBQ. :shrug:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ferremit posted:

I think ive got about three times as much time in the wiring as I do in the mechanic work at this point. Bout an hr or so to tidy up loose ends tomorrow and its test drive time!

Aww yeah, congrats. We've really taken to the 80 we have, and the 5 speed helps tremendously with that. Yesterday I spent a few hours taking out the ASCD and making a blanking plate because it decided to start leaking fuel. All good now though :toot:
God I love manuals, no matter what it seems.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

NinjaTech posted:

There is a brewery near me in Bellevue called Resonate that uses the spent grain from their beer mash to make their pizza dough. They ferment it for 3 days so it's got a sourdough kind of flavor and it's loving delicious. Their beer is also pretty tasty.

Hmm, I've also started all-grain brewing recently. :thunk:

One time we were drunk in Chicago and all decided we wanted Chicago-style deep dish. One of us ordered a BBQ chicken deep dish. It was an awful abomination that was basically just a deep dish crust filled with a couple of bottles of BBQ sauce and a few bits of chicken and cheese here and there. We don't know exactly who told the waitress we wanted that, and to this day no one will fess up.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Rhyno posted:

Let's argue about pizza.

I won't disagree with that but you must understand there will be outliers.

For example, Boudin Sourdough Pizza is incredible. The best pizza I have ever had in my entire life and which all Pizza is judged against is Gino's East in Chicago. It has been nearly ten years since I have had that pizza and nothing will ever come close.

Bit of good news. I have an employer with a sense of humor that is enabling me. This was on my pay stub yesterday with an extra check, the net amount which will basically cover the rack and roof tent I want to get, presumably so we can take our kids out on adventures together. The joke comes in because my wife wanted some stuff done with the yard this summer and said that after that was done we could spend the :10bux: on the rack and tent I wanted.

:laffo::laffo:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Update to the B in the class: I just met with him and he was super cordial and fair about everything. We went in depth on every problem and I was able to get 1, 3, and 4 points back on 3 of the problems due to misunderstandings on what I put down. This is Advanced Computer Architecture so while it's quantitative it's also descriptive and I took a few different routes to get the correct answer. The 8 total points I got back put my final up to a 73, and made my final grade an 87.6. Still not an A but I feel way better having made an attempt to understand what went wrong and we're now on the same page.

Shouldn't have looked but my two classmates got a 50 and a 52 on the final, and Cs in the class. Prof is just super particular in his grading and I can live with that.

3.9 ain't horrible.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

I'm in Naples at the moment and the pizzas I've eaten in the last two days have totally changed my outlook on pizza, it's the best I've had in my life and some of the best food I've tasted in general. I'm going to Pepe In Grani on Sunday and I'm so excited..

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I got to walk across a stage in a funny gown with some tassels tickling my forehead this morning.

Felt good.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

ilkhan posted:

I got to walk across a stage in a funny gown with some tassels tickling my forehead this morning.

Felt good.

Congrats!

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
How does everyone feel about pineapple on pizza?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Grakkus posted:

I'm in Naples at the moment and the pizzas I've eaten in the last two days have totally changed my outlook on pizza, it's the best I've had in my life and some of the best food I've tasted in general. I'm going to Pepe In Grani on Sunday and I'm so excited..

Italian pizza is why I mostly have really simple ingredients on mine. Simplicity of recipe and freshness of ingredients goes a long way.

mariooncrack posted:

My friends think I hate the idea and comes over to pizza parties with pineapple and sneers at me thinking it's an issue. The thing I hate about a ham and pineapple pizza is the loving ham. Ham is a poo poo meat to choose when there are so many better pizza topping options. Go hard or go home. loving Ham. :jerkbag:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

mariooncrack posted:

Put whatever you want on it. So long as it isn't that cardboard poo poo from California.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

I feel like I must have stayed in the wrong parts of Naples since I didn't really enjoy it. Rome had phenomenal everything, though.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

mariooncrack posted:

:hellyeah:

There's no such thing as bad pizza, just better pizza. I like the "Detroit style" stuff around here. It's basically deep dish rectangle shaped like Jet's. Love me some thick crust. Chicago style is good. I don't like crispy thin crust as much as the others but I wouldn't not eat it.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 17, 2019

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Grakkus posted:

The fresh, potentially artisan made toppings and sauce make ALL the difference in the world. If you're in Italy for a while and going around, try some in Venice, then Sicily and then Rome. Pizza styles change everywhere in Italy from my limited experience.

The Door Frame posted:

All pizzas are valid as pizza. There are no pizza rules because pizza truly rules
Also this.

There is a little hole-in-the-wall mom and pop pizzaria in my small bedroom community that has literally some of the best pizza I've tasted in my life. The owners are some sort of middle-eastern Islamic background and the have a couple east Indian folks cooking as well. Truly amazing disc comes out of that place. If their pizza is this good, I can't imagine what their ethnic foods would be like if they made it.

Still food chat, but I noticed Mandarin oranges are still in the stores. That used to be an almost exclusively Christmas/winter fruit for as long as I can remember. When the hell did that change? Or was it years ago and I just noticed?

My local Costco is selling some, grown in California I think, and holy poo poo they are probably the best ones I've ever had in my life.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

mariooncrack posted:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

No.
Pineapple is fine, but it doesn't belong on under pizza.
That said, if it's all that's available, I'll eat it, just not a fan of sweet in my savory. I do make an exception for Monte Cristos, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
Pineapple on pizza is drat good if you balance it with something salty af and something spicy.

Not ham though, that's a garbage meat for pizza.