Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Just don’t play games that use the D-Pad because they’re all bad anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Castlevania collection is wonderful. Seems I still remember a lot of the tiles to hit and the music in the first Castlevania even though it's been like 25 years since I played it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mister Facetious posted:

That isn't The Perfect Console™ now, is it? :colbert:

The PSP Go already has Symphony of the Night. Not sure why you’d bring it up in the Switch thread though? :confused:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

BGrifter posted:

The PSP Go already has Symphony of the Night. Not sure why you’d bring it up in the Switch thread though? :confused:

Jesus loving Christ

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Just don’t play games

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PSP Go to the polls

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BGrifter posted:

Xperia Play, bicth

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I forgot about the PSP Go. I remember thinking it would make an excellent emulator machine though

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

RandomFerret posted:

This is stupid. That's like five atoms per transistor, that's a technological advancement on the level of the first vacuum tube, how can something so miraculous be used to store my custom stage shaped like a hand slapping waluigi's rear end

It looks impressive but also has some impressive downsides. It's done by storing multiple bits per cell instead of just one. The problem is that data retention and error correction take a hit when you do that. And while the storage capacities increase linearly when you do this, retention and reliability decrease exponentially :v:
Speed also goes down. Erasing a 1 bit cell takes like 1-2 ms, a 4 bit cell (which they're porbably using in these huge-rear end microSDs) takes roughly >6ms.
And then the wear-and-tear: SLC (single level cell, one bit) can handle like 100k write and erase cycles, TLC (triple, 3 bits) can only take about one thousand. I think there's no hard data on QLC (quad, 4 bits) yet, but it's probably in the low hundreds of times before the memory cell fails.

So at this point you're not really saving your data anymore. You're just storing a probabilistic approximation of it. I think that's entirely appropriate for waluigi's rear end slapping stage :v:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mister Facetious posted:

Xperia Play, bicth

Sony hosed up by not continuing this line; I loved my Xperia Play.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Heath posted:

I forgot about the PSP Go. I remember thinking it would make an excellent emulator machine though

Mine was free after sitting in a lot and found for 6 months. Other than occasionally freezing it's pretty rad.

That said the PS4 is The Perfect Console so still not sure why we're talking about it in the Switch thread.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Len posted:

Mine was free after sitting in a lot and found for 6 months. Other than occasionally freezing it's pretty rad.

That said the PS4 is The Perfect Console so still not sure why we're talking about it in the Switch thread.

it's not even portable

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Thanks to whoever mentioned the Costco eshop credit deal. It took a while to get the email, but it came. Grabbed boxbox + boxgirl and preloaded re4. So stoked.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Heath posted:

Yeah that’s where it turned the corner. Retail it was a hunk of junk. But it’s pretty much the best handheld to run NES/SNES/GBA/PSX/PSP emulation on.

Even ones thrashed to hell are selling for around $100. If anyone has one that’s been sitting in a box somewhere put it on eBay. Especially if you have the charging cradle, people are paying insane prices for the cradle.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

BGrifter posted:

Yeah that’s where it turned the corner. Retail it was a hunk of junk. But it’s pretty much the best handheld to run NES/SNES/GBA/PSX/PSP emulation on.

Even ones thrashed to hell are selling for around $100. If anyone has one that’s been sitting in a box somewhere put it on eBay. Especially if you have the charging cradle, people are paying insane prices for the cradle.

PSP was always garbage for SNES.

Also a Vita is straight up better these days but nobody has one of those

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Len posted:

It can't even run cod and the UI at the same time.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
more like PSP Go gently caress yourself!!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

gey muckle mowser posted:

What did the PSP Go ever do to you?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PSP Go was a fantastic little thing. Nice pop-out controls, super easy portability compared to standard PSP models, good screen, on-board memory that was expandable with M2 memory sticks, and with PSP being the way it was it became a very easy and efficient portable emulator machine. Then I got over portable gaming and got a PC and a RetroPie instead for that stuff.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PSP Go is obsoleted by the hacked Vita

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A 3DS is also really good since it runs GBA and DS games natively so you can run GBA/DS/3DS/NES/SNES on it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

PSP Go is obsoleted by the hacked Vita

Vita is too big. If I wanted to carry a huge sorta-portable console around with me I’d just bring my Switch.

PSP Go actually fits in a normal pocket.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That reminds me that I need to hack my 3DS so I can play The Great Ace Attorney in English

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why buy a PSP Go when you can install emulators on a raspberry pi and never shut the gently caress up about it?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

gey muckle mowser posted:

That's

Hilarious

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Why buy a PSP Go when you can install emulators on a raspberry pi and never shut the gently caress up about it?

because a rasperry pi doesn't have a screen and controls built into it!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Xbox PSP Go home.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Andrast posted:

because a rasperry pi doesn't have a screen and controls built into it!

Of course that doesn't stop hobbyists from making custom handhelds with them inside.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Leal posted:

The actual move is to install emulators on a PSP Go, Playstation TV, PS Vita, Raspberry Pi, a desktop computer, a Playstation Classic, a SNES Classic, and twelve other devices.

Oh and then only ever use the PSP Go and your totally unmodded Switch.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Andrast posted:

it's not even portable

I'd play the switch docked exclusively if my joycons didn't disconnect constantly

3DS has a clamshell protecting the screens. Suck it Switch :colbert:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Give me a hacked console that can create and apply randomizer patches and I'll think about going through the hassle of hacking a console.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

That's most of them, including the switch

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

So is there more to Night in the Woods than just the story of how much of a loving loser Mae is, or is that pretty much the game?

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Frankston posted:

So is there more to Night in the Woods than just the story of how much of a loving loser Mae is, or is that pretty much the game?

is that really all you've gotten out of Night in the Woods????

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Frankston posted:

hit a nerve, did it? :v:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Frankston posted:

It'll resonate hard if you've ever dealt with depression or mental illness that set your life off course, or have empathy for the same

If your attitude is that fuckups be fuckups because they are pathetic fuckups who didn't try then you probs won't get much more out of it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Night in the Woods is perfect

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Frankston posted:

There's more to it but that's background to the loser stuff.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

GreenNight posted:

What did the PSP Go ever do to you?

killed my pa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Niddhogg 2 owns, even just playing the single player arcade.

But kitty squad got an update, yes the PETA propaganda shooter, so its still the best indie game on my system somehow.