Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Lowly posted:

Not that it changes anything in reality, but it’s an image I can get behind, unlike King Bran and his council of the last remaining named characters who realistically have no chance in hell of being able to get away with just deciding on their own that they run the whole country now.

Remember when GOT S1-4 was all about lines of succession and marriages and who has a claim to what and GOT S5 has Ellaria Sand, who isn't even married to Oberyn Martell, become ruler of Dorne after murdering Doran Martell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Pattonesque posted:

Remember when GOT S1-4 was all about lines of succession and marriages and who has a claim to what and GOT S5 has Ellaria Sand, who isn't even married to Oberyn Martell, become ruler of Dorne after murdering Doran Martell

Remember how the next season had Cecilia capture, torture, and imprison the head of state and their family, and then we didn't hear from Dorne again. Because that's how politics works.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mat Cauthon posted:

Didn't all the Dothraki (not that we've seen a Dothraki woman or child in like two seasons) swear themselves to her?

She burnt all the Khal's and came out from the flames and everyone basically went "all right guess she's leading us now"

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Dorne looked pretty empty. I think it was some green hills next to an empty villa.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Drogon is going to melt just the throne specifically and you know it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Pattonesque posted:

If the prince of Dorne gets revealed as Darkstar that would actually make the ending a little better for me

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

Remember how the next season had Cecilia capture, torture, and imprison the head of state and their family, and then we didn't hear from Dorne again. Because that's how politics works.

Dorne AND the Reach, who both were pretty much untouched by the War of Five Kings, get completely owned and neutered in like one scene apiece

seriously how many PEOPLE live in the Westerlands and North because you'd think they'd be like, post-WWII Germany in terms of not having anyone alive aged 18-35 anymore

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Pattonesque posted:

Dorne AND the Reach, who both were pretty much untouched by the War of Five Kings, get completely owned and neutered in like one scene apiece

seriously how many PEOPLE live in the Westerlands and North because you'd think they'd be like, post-WWII Germany in terms of not having anyone alive aged 18-35 anymore

Don't forget the Vale, which I guess has been fine since Littlefinger died.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

kater posted:

Drogon is going to melt just the throne specifically and you know it.

The throne is going to melt and all of the molten metal will spill out onto to the steps and then resolidify, making a handicap-accessible ramp up to where the throne was for Bran.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mat Cauthon posted:

Looks like some folks involved in the production are speaking out, mildly: https://twitter.com/yennxfer/status/1129165328641155072?s=19

I think this is why the stars will make hostage-video statements about how much they love working on the last season. It's not a good look to poo poo on something you worked on, but I don't think it will get you blackballed.

The real issue is thousands of people also worked on it, so you don't want to just openly call it a piece of poo poo.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

The throne is going to melt and all of the molten metal will spill out onto to the steps and then resolidify, making a handicap-accessible ramp up to where the throne was for Bran.

The bad throne behaves like the good wheel chair ramp, it's very symboligic. Like a theme.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Didn't all the Dothraki (not that we've seen a Dothraki woman or child in like two seasons) swear themselves to her? I remember something about Dany remaking them but honestly if she's dead then yeah there's no reason for them to care about what happens in Westeros beyond what they can loot and pillage.

only because they saw her walk out of the burning yurt where all their strongest warriors were. dothraki only care about following strength and poo poo. once she dies, she no longer matters.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Besides all that, if you're one of the crew, you have to hope D&D will bring you over to get that Disney money too.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mat Cauthon posted:

Looks like some folks involved in the production are speaking out, mildly: https://twitter.com/yennxfer/status/1129165328641155072?s=19

i mean yeah it sucks for them and the actors. i blame the directors and the writers more than anything.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

Imagined posted:

Besides all that, if you're one of the crew, you have to hope D&D will bring you over to get that Disney money too.

Dany's already been in star wars, she doesnt need their help

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Nae! posted:

Dany's already been in star wars, she doesnt need their help

I'm talking about the offsceen crew.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Arya stabs the lead Dothraki and the rest turn to dust

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Pattonesque posted:

Didn't Martell stay alive in the books so far too rather than dying in such a dumb way? Which sucks because Siddig was pretty great for that role.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Arya stabs Bran and cut to black

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Gorelab posted:

Didn't Martell stay alive in the books so far too rather than dying in such a dumb way? Which sucks because Siddig was pretty great for that role.

yeah Doran pretends to be a Lannister ally but is plotting behind their backs to ally with Dany, which is why he sends his son to try to marry her and does the whole "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood" thing that Ellaria/Varys did in the show.

Ellaria actually ends up being a huge pacifist after Oberyn dies, because she went from having a totally sweet life with her paramour to seeing him brutally murdered all because he can't let go of a grudge

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gorelab posted:

Yeah. He reveals he knew what the Sand Snakes were planning and that he had to stop their dumbass revenge plot because it was starting to threaten his much bigger revenge plot that he explains hinges on his son marrying the Targaryen queen so they can burn the Lannister's down with dragons.

So no, he doesn't die in a dumb way.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I bet now that Lena is gone Jerome Flynn is gonna be in every scene.

It's only right.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm really hoping people are working on their Drogon has to go, his valyria needs him memes

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Pattonesque posted:

yeah Doran pretends to be a Lannister ally but is plotting behind their backs to ally with Dany, which is why he sends his son to try to marry her and does the whole "Vengeance. Justice. Fire and Blood" thing that Ellaria/Varys did in the show.

Ellaria actually ends up being a huge pacifist after Oberyn dies, because she went from having a totally sweet life with her paramour to seeing him brutally murdered all because he can't let go of a grudge
Book Ellaria sounds nice. Show ellaria was unbearable, she wanted revenge due to the outcome of a fight that Oberyn both signed up for and brought poison to (!). Horrible woman.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 18:59 on May 17, 2019

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I bet now that Lena is gone Jerome Flynn is gonna be in every scene.

It's only right.

Except the one scene where they dig up the corpses.

"Can't stand the smell of death... Come on, pod, let's grab a drink."

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

No Wave posted:

Book Ellaria sounds nice. Show ellaria was unbearable, she wanted revenge due to the outcome of a fight that Oberyn both signed up for and brought poison to (!). Horrible woman.

I mean I get that watching your lover's skull get crushed by the dude who raped and murdered his sister might lead you to seek revenge, but it's telling that GRRM chose one direction for her and the show chose another because for all the horror in the novels GRRM sees violence as a bad thing, whereas D&D see it as cool and badass

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Pattonesque posted:

I mean I get that watching your lover's skull get crushed by the dude who raped and murdered his sister might lead you to seek revenge, but it's telling that GRRM chose one direction for her and the show chose another because for all the horror in the novels GRRM sees violence as a bad thing, whereas D&D see it as cool and badass

That also ties in with how the Hound joined a monastery in the books, while in the show he fights the Mountain to the death and his warning to Arya is more of a "don't be like me, a cool badass" thing.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
We're going ALLIN on the stupid ending.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Xanderkish posted:

That also ties in with how the Hound joined a monastery in the books, while in the show he fights the Mountain to the death and his warning to Arya is more of a "don't be like me, a cool badass" thing.

and poo poo by that point Arya had murdered two guys, cooked them in a pie, and fed them to their father

that is leagues more hosed up than anything the Hound has ever done.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

LLJKSiLk posted:

We're going ALLIN on the stupid ending.

Oh hell yeah, my body is ready for this dumb poo poo. Is this from a leak? It's doesn't look like it was taken on a set.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Pattonesque posted:

and poo poo by that point Arya had murdered two guys, cooked them in a pie, and fed them to their father

that is leagues more hosed up than anything the Hound has ever done.

Not to mention poisoning dozens. The Hound would need to eat a lot of loving chickens to get the energy to do that.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

If the Dothraki don't revert to their raping and pillaging ways the second Dany is dead then lol

Not like anyone could stop them either

well to be fair there shouldn't be too many of them left after the battles and presumably dany dying cuts off the respawn so they'll just fly back to their home planet

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Mat Cauthon posted:

Didn't all the Dothraki (not that we've seen a Dothraki woman or child in like two seasons) swear themselves to her? I remember something about Dany remaking them but honestly if she's dead then yeah there's no reason for them to care about what happens in Westeros beyond what they can loot and pillage.

in fact, in a "asoiaf" ending, that would be a major plot point. Historically medieval mercenaries and soldiers who gets brought in to fight a war gets put out of a job once the fighting is over, but that doesn't mean they just go home: they tend to stay together and form mega-brigand brigades which roams the countryside raping and pillaging. During the Hundreds year war this happened constantly and French/English soldiers even joined together in rape bands because they could and its more profitable than going home.

If Dany brings over dothraki horde or five and then just dies there's roughly 99% chance a large portion of them will decide to stay behind in westeros and you need another war or five to put down those rebellions. They would also hire themselves out as mercenaries which would dramatically shift the balance of power between various feudal lords jocking over the spoils of war in the aftermath of the collapse of several major great houses in the south. All of this is very interesting but DnD probably haven't even thought of demobilizing a huge army in a feudal context let along the problems associated with it.

Typo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 17, 2019

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Opferwurst posted:

Oh hell yeah, my body is ready for this dumb poo poo. Is this from a leak? It's doesn't look like it was taken on a set.

Pretty sure it's a photoshop but I'd forgive King Bran if it were real.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Xanderkish posted:

This is really why I never cared about "clegane bowl." Instead of a good ending for the Hound he has to be an action figure mashed against the other action figures.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

There could have been an emotional investment in cleganebowl. However it was completely devoid of meaning as presented and I have no idea why anybody says 'the episode was bad but cleganebowl was good'. If 'cool looking fight scene' is all it takes to please those people why isn't the rest of the episode good? The cinematography and music was great in the whole episode, but cleganebowl was just as bad a character arc conclusion as anything else.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Moridin920 posted:

This is really why I never cared about "clegane bowl." Instead of a good ending for the Hound he has to be an action figure mashed against the other action figures.

That scene was Star Wars prequels level garbage cinematography/cgi too. But not only that, it was literally just "they fight so they can fight" with no motivation or buildup to it for like 2+ seasons now.

This show is so loving inconsistent in visual presentation it's total whiplash from stuff like Battle of the Bastards to this poo poo. Or even the street scenes in this very episode being so well done vs the terrible sky view shots of Kings Landing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bobjr posted:

If the prince of Dorne gets revealed as Darkstar that would actually make the ending a little better for me

It's Quentyn Martell, but he demands to be called Darkstar

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
Warlocks of Quarth outta loving nowhere! Dany forgot about them after season 3 but they're back and out for blood!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Strangler 42 posted:

Warlocks of Quarth outta loving nowhere! Dany forgot about them after season 3 but they're back and out for blood!

lmao this just reminded me that Quaithe is a character that exists and just hasn't been seen since season 1