Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

frogge posted:

I imagine the cab and Uber/Lyft drivers that talk so much do so because other than picking fares up, they're isolated in their car and it's likely more out of boredom than malice unless they're total shitbags.

It's this. Boredom, isolation, trying to stay awake. It's why, even if they aren't talking, they're on the phone with someone. It's also why I don't mind if the driver has the radio on or is having a quiet conversation with someone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Shame Boy posted:

Also if they're taking away from employee benefits to buy office supplies, you should be able to just loving keep the office supplies because you paid for them

Man come on now you know that's not a thing. We have a big note on the cabinet we keep tea and hot cocoa in that taking either home is grounds for termination.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Look at all this landfill fodder.

At least my board games are made out of cardboard and can be recycled

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
don’t worry, those’ll find use as highly sought after religious idols after the anthropocene collapse

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

i'm the serial killer funko

no, not that one, the other one

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Which would be sadder: if you took one figure and the owner couldn't pick out what was missing, or if they could do so.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

T-man posted:

Which would be sadder: if you took one figure and the owner couldn't pick out what was missing, or if they could do so.

I would say if they could tell what changed. Presumably the gaps are pops missing from The Collection

Apparently some of those things are worth decent money. A guy I knew sold three and got a couple hundred bucks out if it and fixed his houses central air

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Len posted:

I would say if they could tell what changed. Presumably the gaps are pops missing from The Collection

Apparently some of those things are worth decent money. A guy I knew sold three and got a couple hundred bucks out if it and fixed his houses central air

Last time I went to the flea market, I counted 5 stalls that were nothing but wall to wall funko pops

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

im the ones that are legally bobble heads because the rights to make statuettes belong to another company

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

So my first response to that uber headline was that surely it's just a feature that lets you indicate a preference for a quiet ride or not, which is a reasonable preference and nothing more.

but lol y'all haven't even seen the worst bit about this new Uber feature:

quote:

riders will also get access to "premium phone support with live agents" should you feel the need to call the company to tell them your preferences are not being honored mid-trip

You can literally call Uber from the back of their car and get them to silence the driver. What kind of entitled loving rear end in a top hat would want to do that?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

bike tory posted:

What kind of entitled loving rear end in a top hat would want to do that?

Have you met rich people?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

riders will also get access to "premium phone support with live agents" should you feel the need to call the company to tell them your preferences are not being honored mid-trip

excuse me I want to speak to your manager

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

bike tory posted:

So my first response to that uber headline was that surely it's just a feature that lets you indicate a preference for a quiet ride or not, which is a reasonable preference and nothing more.

You can literally call Uber from the back of their car and get them to silence the driver. What kind of entitled loving rear end in a top hat would want to do that?

It's the web 2.0 version of "I want to speak to a manager."

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"I want not to talk to you so much that I'll talk to someone else so that I don't have to talk to you"

Thanatosian posted:

It's the web 2.0 version of "I want to speak to a manager."

Except that "manager" is probably a minimum wage "contractor" living in some low wage economy in Asia.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

lol every once in a while I get on a streetcar with some dudley do-right driver who's making dad jokes over the intercom speaker, telling every stop to have a great day, a nice day, take your time to appreciate something around you, different little piece of life advice at every stop

its nice that his soul hasnt been crushed by the job yet but shut the gently caress up i'm trying to miserably stare out the window

big assumption on the no crushing there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0cCRRFi1aA

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

Or like, middle-age middle-class white dudes?

I'd imagine the kind of dude who does that *sets a pile of dollar bills on the table* "this will be your tip, every time you gently caress up, I remove a dollar" bullshit would absolutely love this feature

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bike tory posted:

Except that "manager" is probably a minimum wage "contractor" living in some low wage economy in Asia.

Who are using a sound board to reply with canned american-sounding response voices because every call is going to be exactly the same anyway so why bother

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

Or like, middle-age middle-class white dudes?

I'd imagine the kind of dude who does that *sets a pile of five $1 bills on the table* "this will be your tip, every time you gently caress up, I remove a dollar" bullshit would absolutely love this feature

"A pile" is way too generous.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I always give Uber drivers 5 stars because I requested they get me from point A to point B, and they do it.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
at least use lyft instead of uber. i get that sometimes people just need to use rideshare because public transit takes 5x as long or flat out doesn't go somewhere, but at least go with the lesser evil

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Huh, corporate mascot ones. And like, a dozen of them. I mean, I guess I should have expected that.

Edit: Two dozen, goddamn.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/zachsvobodny/status/1023980957169274880

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Rarity posted:

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

They're organized with specific gaps in the ranks, probably by numbers and leaving room for the ones he didn't pick up yet.

so I think he'd notice, and it would be like that scene from the hobbit where smaug notices something went missing

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF247JxHOc4

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

bike tory posted:

Wasn't part of the initial draw of Uber (aside from price) something like 'They're real people just like you! Not some foreign or creepy old guy taxi driver who smells funny! They'll be relatable, friendly, and your trips will be fun and engaging experiences!'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DisgracelandUSA posted:

It's this. Boredom, isolation, trying to stay awake. It's why, even if they aren't talking, they're on the phone with someone. It's also why I don't mind if the driver has the radio on or is having a quiet conversation with someone.

Yeah I just deliver pizzas so it's only like, half driving and half loving off with my coworkers and even then on a long, busy day where I've been driving a combined 6 hours I just want to lose it. Driving is such an easy task that you cant really get absorbed in it and music isnt always enough to help, so it's kind of like forcing yourself to state at a wall for hours. Sure theres scenery but I've seen every street a thousand times

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mordor She Wrote posted:

My school bus driver had like brain damage and made us all sing We Will Rock You by Queen and if we didn't she'd threaten to stop the bus.

Thats not the behaviour of a damaged brain. Some sort of brain enhancement maybe.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
cursed image

i wonder how much paulie makes to do these

how much does pride cost

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DrManiac posted:

one of my favorite podcasts is last podcast on the left. explicit it’s a true crime podcast that goes in pretty explicit detail and their episode on Japanese war crimes is the only one I refuse to ever listen too again. like, it’s not hyperbole to say that the German camps were tame in comparison.

Unit 731 was bad and all, but the main thing nobody acknowledges is that Japan killed and enslaved literally tens of millions of people throughout its short lived empire, which makes it on par with Nazi war crimes.

larper
Apr 9, 2019

got any sevens posted:

cursed image

i wonder how much paulie makes to do these

how much does pride cost

This one photo is more depressing than the entire cop thred

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Cursed because he didn't even bother tagging Bio-Dome

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

bike tory posted:

"A pile" is way too generous.

*Shove 5 inches of their dick in my mouth* "for every mistake you make, i'll remove 1 inch"

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheMostFrench posted:

Wasn't part of the initial draw of Uber (aside from price) something like 'They're real people just like you! Not some foreign or creepy old guy taxi driver who smells funny! They'll be relatable, friendly, and your trips will be fun and engaging experiences!'

no, the original draw of Uber was “get a town car easily and quickly, like you’re the kind of person who has one standing by, and also SF cabs are impossible”. it wasn’t any cheaper than town car rates when I first took it in...2011, Jesus

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Subjunctive posted:

no, the original draw of Uber was “get a town car easily and quickly, like you’re the kind of person who has one standing by, and also SF cabs are impossible”. it wasn’t any cheaper than town car rates when I first took it in...2011, Jesus
I don't know what a town car is (if it's different from a taxi) but in Australia the draw is "you can order it from anywhere, know when it'll be there, half the price of taxis, and the drivers are accountable".

Of course now that they've gotten their hooks in, the price is the same. I think the main taxi company has gotten an app now, but they still suck.

I hate talking to strangers as much as the next goon, but I've had some good convos in Ubers. Never in taxis.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/YahooNews/status/1129849175640821762

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

PancakeTransmission posted:

I hate talking to strangers as much as the next goon, but I've had some good convos in Ubers. Never in taxis.

Last taxi driver who talked to me at length without the usual 'How was your day' opened with 'The jews have got to go'.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

TheMostFrench posted:

Last taxi driver who talked to me at length without the usual 'How was your day' opened with 'The jews have got to go'.

You interrupted him, they have to go to the synagogue and he'd been driving them all day and was just telling you about his day :colbert:

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Shame Boy posted:

You interrupted him, they have to go to the synagogue and he'd been driving them all day and was just telling you about his day :colbert:

Thes jews have got to go to the polls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I know I complain about Suburbia perhaps a bit too much. But Rideshare apps are just another symptom of the rot. The "sprawl cities" of the southeast especially have been built in such a way that ridesharing apps are the only realistic way to get somewhere if you've lost access to a car. Even if your city has buses they sure as hell don't have any stops near your place. And any taxi companies that exist are so small as to be limited to airport related trips or an extremely small and vestigal downtown. Suburbia Delenda Est.