Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

olsteen's a piece of it. But this isn't real.

Did that image sucker your FB friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

spacetoaster posted:

olsteen's a piece of it. But this isn't real.

Did that image sucker your FB friends?

Yeah, I hate the prosperity gospel with the fiery passion of a thousand burning suns, but that looks like satire to me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
That particular one might be fake but it's not like it is that far fetched, honestly

there's this dude (who got in trouble granted but there are a lot more that don't):

https://abcnews.go.com/US/owner-pay-pray-website-ordered-return-78m-consumers/story?id=37728398

or in India there's

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2018/11/apps-that-answer-your-prayers/570805/

quote:

How can i get a divine intervention for my career? That’s the question Ravi Ganne, a young investment banker in Bangalore, typed into Google seven years ago. His search results led him to the website of a new company called ePuja. For about $15, the start-up would have a puja, a Hindu devotional-prayer ritual, performed on his behalf at one of its many in-network temples.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/carolrosenberg/status/969595553863684096

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Eat This Glob posted:

yeah, Google "unit 731" if you want some background on what japan got up to during wwii thatd make mengele blush

one of my favorite podcasts is last podcast on the left. explicit it’s a true crime podcast that goes in pretty explicit detail and their episode on Japanese war crimes is the only one I refuse to ever listen too again. like, it’s not hyperbole to say that the German camps were tame in comparison.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah Japan looked at Germany and said "hold my sake"

Really the thing that sucks is while Germany is fully on board (ostensibly) with anti-nazi stuff and teaching about the past, Japan still kind of glosses over it and gets indignant if you try to call them on it.

Also Unit 8604

Also Unit 100

Probably also bunch of other poo poo

quote:

In 2006, Toyo Ishii—a nurse who worked at the school during the war—revealed that she had helped bury bodies and pieces of bodies on the school's grounds shortly after Japan's surrender in 1945. In response, in February 2011 the Ministry of Health began to excavate the site.[56]

China requested DNA samples from any human remains discovered at the site. The Japanese government—which has never officially acknowledged the atrocities committed by Unit 731—rejected the request.[57]

A shameful display

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 03:00 on May 17, 2019

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
drat now I'm all riled up what the gently caress Japan

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah Japan looked at Germany and said "hold my sake"

Really the thing that sucks is while Germany is fully on board (ostensibly) with anti-nazi stuff and teaching about the past, Japan still kind of glosses over it and gets indignant if you try to call them on it.

Also Unit 8604

A shameful display

It's pretty fundamental to Japanese politics really. Japan is functionally a one party state so what determines if you're left wing or right wing in Japanese politics is your relationship to history and specifically Japan's role in WWII. The Japanese "right" are what you described, basically they think Japan has done enough to atone and shouldn't have to conduct itself any differently to other countries now, while the Japanese "left" think that Japan's pacifism and postwar reconciliatory IR stance is fundamental to Japan's identity.

Unfortunately the (far) right is still stupidly powerful in Japanese politics. But they're a small minority with disproportionate power.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

DrManiac posted:

one of my favorite podcasts is last podcast on the left. explicit it’s a true crime podcast that goes in pretty explicit detail and their episode on Japanese war crimes is the only one I refuse to ever listen too again. like, it’s not hyperbole to say that the German camps were tame in comparison.

I tried listening to LPOTL and found the hosts incredibly irritating, then one started to do a racist accent and I noped out of there. It's a shame too because their subject matter is extremely my poo poo.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Moridin920 posted:

drat now I'm all riled up what the gently caress Japan

the current prime minister of Japan is unofficially a supporter of a group that believes Japan did nothing wrong and their current pacifist military is a mistake.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

the current prime minister of Japan is unofficially a supporter of a group that believes Japan did nothing wrong and their current pacifist military is a mistake.

Also there's this:

quote:

However, Shigetaka Kurita, director of Kadokawa Dwango corporation, criticized Azur Lane for lacking the sense of "tragedy and heroism" in Kantai Collection. Kurita described the game as "merely an idol action game with a fleet motif". He found the greatest appeal of Kantai Collection to be the "sorrow of the Imperial Japanese Navy" saying that one might cry while playing Kantai Collection but not Azur Lane.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Peanut President posted:

This whole planet is wall-to-wall shitheads, isn't it?

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

mycomancy posted:

Only for another decade or two.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

Not only did a lot of these people walk free, many they later got powerful positions in the West German government and military.

In Eastern Germany as well. People are shits, wherever they are.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bit late, but:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

yeah that is some starship troopers poo poo

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

Marxist-Jezzinist posted:

Definitely stick all the generals in a disused mineshaft but the people who volunteered to vaporise foreigners are not innocent just because we live in a system. I live under capitalism and instead of murdering people for a living I just work a lovely job

E: I don't think we're disagreeing fundamentally so maybe I should shut up

Yo, I enlisted because I couldn't find even a lovely job where I could afford to live. That was in 2008 and things are a little different now for sure, but you shouldn't discount the structural pressures to rely on the military as a hosed up social safety net because that is exactly how it functions for a ton of people who join. That doesn't make me or anyone else innocent but acting like everyone in the military could and should have just gotten lovely jobs is some bootstraps garbage.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

This is the 2nd right wing twitter this week I've seen that blames the left for the bankruptcy of Toys R' Us.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Bert Roberge posted:

This is the 2nd right wing twitter this week I've seen that blames the left for the bankruptcy of Toys R' Us.

Wasn't Toys R' Us bought by a Private Equity Firm and cut to the bone in the name of profits?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Greatbacon posted:

Wasn't Toys R' Us bought by a Private Equity Firm and cut to the bone in the name of profits?

Mitt Romney's Bain Capital

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Greatbacon posted:

Yeah, it was actually doing fine and perfectly profitable other than that.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Bert Roberge posted:

I was gonna say maybe we can just let immigrants in who would buy things but lol we must secure the existence of our people and a future for white children to drive consumerism

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

mycomancy posted:

No, it isn't. But all the non-shitheads are poor, tired, scared, and burnt out beyond belief living in the shitheads' world. We'll get them out of power one day, if we don't give up. Or die.

Sing Along
Feb 28, 2017

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/TacoBellNews/status/1129054308299763712

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

No, it isn't. But all the non-shitheads are poor, tired, scared, and burnt out beyond belief living in the shitheads' world. We'll get them out of power one day, if we don't give up. Or die.

If we die I vote we bring the fuckers with us. Nothing gets me seeing red like the thouht of them causing global genocide and just coasting through it untouched in bunkers.

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

kraken! posted:

Yo, I enlisted because I couldn't find even a lovely job where I could afford to live. That was in 2008 and things are a little different now for sure, but you shouldn't discount the structural pressures to rely on the military as a hosed up social safety net because that is exactly how it functions for a ton of people who join. That doesn't make me or anyone else innocent but acting like everyone in the military could and should have just gotten lovely jobs is some bootstraps garbage.

This. I don't think a lot a of people who post here understand that not everyone grows up in New York or LA. A lot of people grow up in little loving hick towns and when you graduate from high school your options are (1.)be smart and rich and successful and have a rich family and go to a nearby expensive college in a populated town, (2.) try to scrape by with some warehouse job that might suddenly disappear someday without warning and (3.)join the military which always has money and is always hiring and maybe you have to do some poo poo but what else are you going to do :shrug:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gervasius posted:

In Eastern Germany as well. People are shits, wherever they are.

To a lesser extent though fwiw

But yeah everyone was willing to overlook poo poo in exchange for things such as rocket scientists.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

kraken! posted:

Yeah I've got a friend who joined out of high school because literally not even the McDonald's was hiring. Getting deployed to Syria broke his brain and now he's super anti-interventionist, not a full communist (yet) but he fuckin' hates the military and what it does. Are Troops aren't all write-offs.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crazycryodude posted:

Yeah I've got a friend who joined out of high school because literally not even the McDonald's was hiring. Getting deployed to Syria broke his brain and now he's super anti-interventionist, not a full communist (yet) but he fuckin' hates the military and what it does. Are Troops aren't all write-offs.

Joining the army and going into a combat zone either turns people into revolutionaries or makes them double down into chudism. Pretty neat.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tashilicious posted:

If we die I vote we bring the fuckers with us. Nothing gets me seeing red like the thouht of them causing global genocide and just coasting through it untouched in bunkers.

Those bunkers are going to have to have some sort of oxygen intake. All I’m saying.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Moridin920 posted:

To a lesser extent though fwiw

But yeah everyone was willing to overlook poo poo in exchange for things such as rocket scientists.

Nah, not really. West Germany at least had that "holy poo poo we completely failed at denazification" moment of reckoning in the seventies, DDR skipped that part. Look for Cyrano's posts in milhist thread for more info, dude did the doctorate on that topic.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Tashilicious posted:

Joining the army and going into a combat zone either turns people into revolutionaries or makes them double down into chudism. Pretty neat.

I think loving off to do drugs whenever he could with YPG SDF guys definitely helped

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Funko Pop is the new beanie babies

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

evergreen:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Gervasius posted:

Nah, not really. West Germany at least had that "holy poo poo we completely failed at denazification" moment of reckoning in the seventies, DDR skipped that part. Look for Cyrano's posts in milhist thread for more info, dude did the doctorate on that topic.

iirc he's looking at the education system and that and the military were sectors where the nazis had tightened the grip to such an extent that it'd be hard to even have them as functional institutions without rehabilitating some nasty characters

i've yet to see much evidence of your schleyer types, i.e. high-ranking nazis more or less transplanted directly into equivalent roles in the east german civilian society

basically my impression is that this statement relies on a particular reasonable but not trivial definition of denazification

to am extent you have to bring nazis into your post-war german society because there were rather a lot of them going around

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Also, it can be argued that there is a qualitative difference between 'having failed at denazification' and deliberately stopping with the plan to carry it out in any meaningful fashion because of Cold War strategic concerns. The latter is what happened in West Germany, along with a stoppage in the parallel de-cartelization program, beacuse again preserving large established industrial concerns was a more favorable move for Western strategic interests wrt opposing the Soviet Union.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/Volceltaire/status/1129187988636725248

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you missed the best part

https://twitter.com/volceltaire/status/1129189046201151490?s=21

“liberal not lefty” lmao