Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Time for another random question because unlike Pathfinder you can't just google things! Is there any way to recover permanent health damage that doesn't have a specified time limit, such as the lasting harm from a wraith? It looks like no (with the standard caveat of house rules, quest, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Elysiume posted:

Time for another random question because unlike Pathfinder you can't just google things! Is there any way to recover permanent health damage that doesn't have a specified time limit, such as the lasting harm from a wraith? It looks like no (with the standard caveat of house rules, quest, etc.).

This is really where the removal of the Google+ group sucks (since I don't think MeWe mirrored everything)

in this case the answer is easy enough though - the level 1 Life spell "Cure" (and level 3 Life spell "Greater Cure") can explicitly be used to remove any penalty to health and shouldn't be hard to access via professional services/an incantation even if the group lacks someone with that tradition

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

LGD posted:

This is really where the removal of the Google+ group sucks (since I don't think MeWe mirrored everything)

in this case the answer is easy enough though - the level 1 Life spell "Cure" (and level 3 Life spell "Greater Cure") can explicitly be used to remove any penalty to health and shouldn't be hard to access via professional services/an incantation even if the group lacks someone with that tradition
I don't know how I missed those, they should've been the first place I looked! Thanks.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I'm having trouble making appropriately difficult fights for my party. So far they're level 3 and have steamrolled every encounter they've run into. I'm following the guide in the book, for difficulty. Anyone have any advice?

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Horrifying things tend to punch above their weight. you can also use elemental/spell resistance to disrupt some of the party's go-to abilities

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Demons and other supernatural foes are a real hurdle for players especially at that level. Most of the real dangerous enemies in SotDL are flat out immune to PC trickery and status manipulation.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
What's the party composition and size?

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
It's five people. Most of my problems stem from enemies just rolling really badly and the party killing them too fast for them to do much. So j assume I just need to increase the size of encounters

Party is two rogues, two mages and a fighter

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I've been listening to Rob's Basement and he really really likes it when things have engorged dicks and poo poo their pants, huh.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Jarvisi posted:

It's five people. Most of my problems stem from enemies just rolling really badly and the party killing them too fast for them to do much. So j assume I just need to increase the size of encounters

Party is two rogues, two mages and a fighter

Also consider beefing up the enemies you do have. You know your party best, but adding damage can be a good way to make a dangerous foe. Giving them extra Health is something I don't normally advise, but if you think they are killing things too fast, its an option. Triggered abilities are good, especially on-hit. Consider giving tougher enemies a legendary action. Minions aren't technically in the game, but its easy to just give a monster 1 Health and toss in a bunch, maybe make them only able to take fast turns.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've been listening to Rob's Basement and he really really likes it when things have engorged dicks and poo poo their pants, huh.

Yeah, his 12 year old style fascination with dicks and poo poo and grossness is the worst part of the game

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, like the gross out factor could be good but he's aggressively child like about it. It's always very "and the monster started puking and the puke came out of his mouth and the puke came out of his dick and it came out of his butt"

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
A version of SotDL with some of the gross out toned down would make the whole thing an easier sell. I really like the setting as a whole and the system is great but Jesus H Christ some of the stuff is ridiculous.

Serf
May 5, 2011

The name of the normie version of SotDL has been changed to Shadow of the Mad Wizard

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Is that out yet or still coming? I hear all these great things about SotDL but if I were to even remotely attempt broaching it with my playgroup three people would quit by like page five and the last two would start giving me some weird looks. Hard to sell a game with "I know this is totally immature sex-and-puke garbage BUT-"

Serf
May 5, 2011

Fumbles posted:

Is that out yet or still coming? I hear all these great things about SotDL but if I were to even remotely attempt broaching it with my playgroup three people would quit by like page five and the last two would start giving me some weird looks. Hard to sell a game with "I know this is totally immature sex-and-puke garbage BUT-"

Still in the works as far as I know. The rules exist, I think they're just far out in the art/layout/etc. publishing pipeline. Rob has a lot of irons in the fire.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
After a long dry spell finally found a SotDL game, and got past Session 0 without casualties.

Wondering if I should go frontline Magician+Paladin or Adept+(Sorcerer or Spellbinder). The first would be better at general challenges while also packing a lot of healing (arcana/divination/rune/mb time), but our 5 man group already has 2 players going Priest saying that they wish to play support/utility/healing (though they're a bit clueless so I have no idea how effectively they'll pull it off). Adept is just a combat powerhouse once it gets to 5+, but not much else if all I'm taking is Arcana/Battle/Rune as traditions.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The game would be a thousand percent better if they went for just heavy metal and Diablo aesthetics.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Serf posted:

The name of the normie version of SotDL has been changed to Shadow of the Mad Wizard

Really? That's... kind of an awful name. It doesn't strike me as the "SotDL without the Corpophilia" as much as "SotDL for Pre-Teens."

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There are at least two adventures that have you exiting a monster-dungeon though its arse.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's something about "Mad Wizard" that just sounds off. Even just "Mad Sorcerer" would work better.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Shadow of the Witch King would also work and is tied into the existing setting of Rûl

Serf
May 5, 2011

Glukeose posted:

Shadow of the Witch King would also work and is tied into the existing setting of Rûl

It's not going to be using the Rul setting. It used to be Free Companies of the Four Towers, and I believe the setting is Four Towers.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Shadow of the Four Towers would be dope

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey, bit of a random question from someone generally unfamiliar with SotDL but does it happen to have any sort of special system or rules for 1v1 dueling as opposed to more traditional combat? Something I might shamelessly plagiarize, perhaps?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Serf posted:

It used to be Free Companies of the Four Towers

This was also a much better title than Shadow of the Grumpy Magic Man.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Lemon-Lime posted:

This was also a much better title than Shadow of the Grumpy Magic Man.

I dunno I got a good laugh out of what looks an awful lot like "fine losers, I'll give the lame version of my game the lamest name possible."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Really hate the G+ died.

How do weapon attacks from Battle spells work?

Do they count as spells so you get boons from say Potent Spellcasting and Sorcery?
Does Spell Defense impose a bane and halve the damage?
They are weapon attacks, so can you apply the attack options (Guarded Attack, Called Shot, etc)?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Really hate the G+ died.

How do weapon attacks from Battle spells work?

Do they count as spells so you get boons from say Potent Spellcasting and Sorcery?
Does Spell Defense impose a bane and halve the damage?
They are weapon attacks, so can you apply the attack options (Guarded Attack, Called Shot, etc)?

yeah it's terrible

IIRC the default answer to all of those questions is generally "Yes"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I remember someone saying that stuff from later supplements got folded into the core at some point. So is there a most recent edition I should pick up? Should I wait until this Shadow of the Mad Wizard comes out, or is that supposed to be substantially different?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
IIRC the only stuff folded into the core was the reworked paths such as Fighter and Ranger, which had substantially better/more fun versions in another supplement.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

I remember someone saying that stuff from later supplements got folded into the core at some point. So is there a most recent edition I should pick up? Should I wait until this Shadow of the Mad Wizard comes out, or is that supposed to be substantially different?

I don't think they reprinted it, so if you get/have a PDF via DrivethruRPG it should be the most current version

as Azran says, the revisions are mostly to some of the original paths (mostly from Paths of Battle, which is the important one since it turns Fighter from fairly underwhelming to a very strong & flexible option for nearly any martial character that also makes a lot of previously iffy builds viable), as well as a few details (I think they fixed a confusing typo in the encounter building rules, some spells got tweaked - i.e. the level 0 Shadow spell Nightfall Blade allows you to make an attack the same turn it is summoned which makes it substantially more attractive to use as a primary attack option, etc.)

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 18, 2019

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Running a module where I was unsatisfied with the included map and decided I'd take a shot at doing it on cardstock so I could cut it up as they explored some caves. I already had some big cardstock, so what the hell, right?

turns out it's a lot of work

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elysiume posted:

Running a module where I was unsatisfied with the included map and decided I'd take a shot at doing it on cardstock so I could cut it up as they explored some caves. I already had some big cardstock, so what the hell, right?

turns out it's a lot of work
That's some solid map penmanship right there.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
That was exhausting, time to cut it up into bite-size pieces :toot:

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Where does this Shadow of the Mad Wizard info come from?

It's going to land before the SRD, isn't?

Serf
May 5, 2011

A lot of updates can be found here in the Future of Schwalb Entertainment post.

There's tons of interesting stuff, but here are the bullet points

• Occult Philosophy is 2/3 through layout, should be done ahead of schedule
  • Geniue Loci (covering genies) should be out soon with Kingdom of Skulls due out after that.
  • Men of Gog is about 30% written and will be the last bit of OP KS material to go out
  • City of Gods will be out on June 3rd and City of Dreams should be out soon.
  • Punkapocalyptic will be getting a KS in July or August, with a free quickstart out before that. There will also be a color/pretty layout paid quickstart too.
  • Shadow of the Mad Wizard will be about short, focused campaigns and one-shots and it will be appropriate for all ages and audiences. Its still in design and being playtested.
  • There is a supplement covering clockworks and the Machine God on the way, as well as Slaves of the Demon Queen, which is about the arachne and the Spider Wood.
  • Rob is working on a "slew" of two-page one-shot adventures that will be cheap.
  • Other supplements: play as ghosts, more expert paths, a solo adventure, the March Lands and more.
  • There are 2 more SotDL-powered games on the way: Shadow of the Last Gate where you play as a group of modern-day secret magicians fighting the Demon Lord and Abaddon which is a Doom-inspired game set on a generation ship lost to the Void where you fight against hordes of demons
  • Worlds in Shadow is an upcoming series of SotDL-powered mini-games. Lost and Found is about playing as kids trying to escape from a terrifying orphanage while Vigilante is about playing as street-level superheroes

Overall I'm really excited about what's coming up, as it seems like Rob has a lot of rad stuff planned and on the way.

Also, for folks who are interested, I've finally got a version of The Normie Hack that I'm happy with sharing. This is basically a complete set of new Ancestries for a generic fantasy setting (more Eberron than Forgotten Realms) and some houserules/changes that remove most of the darker elements of the game and make it more regular generic fantasy while attempting to preserve most of the systems that make SotDL run so well. I know that Shadow of the Mad Wizard is on the way, but I feel like its still a ways out and in the meantime I'm going to keep working on the Normie Hack to make it a better conversion of SotDL's rules to a form that more people might find palatable.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Abaddon sounds more like Shadow of the Demon Lord + Pandorum (down to leveling up being fluffed as gradually recovering from cryosleep-induced amnesia), and that's loving awesome.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
Yeah I thought the modern setting sounded cool, then I kept reading and realized it was not nearly as cool as Doom on a spaceship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's Men of Gog intended to cover? Is it the 'Age of the Witch King' sourcebook?