Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I once thought David Boreanez as Angel would make a good Batman...vampires make good Batman...Blade...Batman...Wesley Snipes should be Batman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Gatts posted:

I once thought David Boreanez as Angel would make a good Batman...vampires make good Batman...Blade...Batman...Wesley Snipes should be Batman

Basically anybody that looks goth or looks rich, just by default. Pattinson looks both goth and rich.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ammanas posted:

now he'll be the guy from twilight who was batman

He can join Zoe Saldana as another victor of the franchise wars.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Jimbot posted:

He can join Zoe Saldana as another victor of the franchise wars.

I think Anthony Daniels has the career as highest grossing actor all time but if it's not him it's gotta be her sooner or later, especially with 5 more avatar movies coming . Might as well put her in the new star wars too

Edit I'm way off, slj is at 6.7b, rdj 5.6, scarjo 5.1 , Harrison Ford 4.9, Bradley Cooper 4.6. saldanna is are 4.07 in 10th just ahead of Daniels

I do bet this isnt adjusted for inflation and Ford is actually#1

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 19:06 on May 17, 2019

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

I think Anthony Daniels has the career as highest grossing actor all time but if it's not him it's gotta be her sooner or later, especially with 5 more avatar movies coming . Might as well put her in the new star wars too

Edit I'm way off, slj is at 6.7b, rdj 5.6, scarjo 5.1 , Harrison Ford 4.9, Bradley Cooper 4.6. saldanna is are 4.07 in 10th just ahead of Daniels

I do bet this isnt adjusted for inflation and Ford is actually#1

Nah. Jackson was in only one less Star Wars film than Ford and in a shitload of Marvel. If anything that number doesn't count endgame

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm convinced that the Quentin Tarantino Star Trek movie is just a ploy to get Samuel L. Jackson in a Star Trek.

But it's also possible that Jackson just walks onto random movie sets and they give him a role out of obligation.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I would like to see Sam Jackson as a Starfleet Captain telling a Jem Hadar or Species 7849 or the Borg to kiss his motherfucking rear end and gently caress off. Then Sisko can punch them out and put on cool shades.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ammanas posted:

now he'll be the guy from twilight who was batman

And bats come out at twilight!

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I kinda wanted Lee Pace to be batman. Hes the right age, physically strong, a drat good actor, and an lgtb Batman would make so many nerds loving explode. It would be amazing

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
My first reaction to thinking about Pattinson as Batman was to hate it, but some of the posts back up the chain reminded me about Ledger as Joker. I hated that choice as well, but the joke was on me when Ledger loving nailed the role. I don't know much about Reeves, but I enjoyed Cloverfield and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. So...maybe I'll like this?

I'm still salty because I liked Ben Affleck's version of Bruce Wayne/Batman, and I really wanted to see a movie involving a grizzled Bruce and his one man war on crime.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
My question about any potential Batman actor is, can he get really really buff or can they make his Bat Armor look like he is ridiculously buff, and the answer is always yes. Life is good to me on that account.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

My question about any potential Batman actor is, can he get really really buff or can they make his Bat Armor look like he is ridiculously buff, and the answer is always yes. Life is good to me on that account.

Time to photoshop Rob's face onto the Batnipple costume

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sloth Life posted:

I kinda wanted Lee Pace to be batman. Hes the right age, physically strong, a drat good actor, and an lgtb Batman would make so many nerds loving explode. It would be amazing

Oh, hell. He's got the voice for it too, he could be the Bat to properly abandon the Nolan growling and offer something a little more expressive than a Kevin Conroy impression

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The new batman voice is AAVE and Bruce is still very white and it's very problematic

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The new batman voice is AAVE and Bruce is still very white and it's very problematic

So Bruce being a ruling class black man that does the exact same stuff is good?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

The only non-problematic version of Batman is the Silver Age one who went to mars and spanked pirates with cutlasses and poo poo. And even then, y’know, he’s dragging a kid along.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

JBP posted:

How about a poor Puerto Rican Batman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hks1TN0U1No

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

JBP posted:

No but it would be ok for that version to use AAVE if he wanted

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Superheroes kind of run into the problem that a huge majority of them are either wealthy or effectively lacking in any sort of money concerns. It's kind of baked into the concept because their basic idea is someone who has enough free time and resources to go around fighting crime. Spider-Man is the big neon glowing counterexample here and even then it has always been a trend towards giving him solutions because it's infinitely easier to write "Peter Parker gets help from the Fantastic Four/Tony Stark/himself from an alternate dimension/whatever" than to actually try to create a plausible character who is at once constantly struggling for money and also can devote 8+ hours a day towards swinging around fighting crime without it feeling false.

That isn't to say it can't be done. It absolutely can and should. It's just that is why so many existing heroes have those particular advantages, which runs into the other problem of "we're basically doing nothing be regurgitating heroes from 50+ years ago, with almost no new characters created." And short of massive drastic changes to the characters (which naturally get really negative responses unless done extremely well) that means the Justice League is going to have multiple billionaires and the Avengers probably are 4/5ths people for who 'money troubles' is nonexistent.

I'm honestly not even sure how you can fix it. You need to get a creator with a strong voice and a willingness to buck the status quo who also wants to make these changes, then somehow convince the studio to allow it, and then somehow make it excellent enough to make it a central part of the character so it doesn't get instantly retconned once enough people complain. (Looking at you, IM3 Mandarin.) The best way would be creating new superheroes but I genuinely can't remember the last time a non-DC/Marvel superhero was successful enough to be relevant for more than a single film. I guess technically the Incredibles but lol Disney. Maybe the Split/Unbreakable universe?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/drhastings/status/1129384429812686848

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
We all want a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton as Old Bruce.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MonsieurChoc posted:

We all want a Batman Beyond movie with Keaton as Old Bruce.

Specifically, Diane Keaton

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

This would be cool

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kevin Conroy has the best Batvoice.

Has actually come up that it's pretty difficult to make a nonwhite Batman without drastically changing his origin, since the whole Bruce Wayne deal is being old money and having major industry connections and a sprawling family manor. Says something that the closest nonwhite equivalent, Black Panther, is literal royalty. (and The Phantom might as well be. Also wondering how much of Black Panther was ripped from The Phantom now. Also a lot of issues with The Phantom would be solved by having him be mixed-race, makes a lot of sense for a family that's lived in Africa and actually gets along closely with Africans for generations)

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Has actually come up that it's pretty difficult to make a nonwhite Batman without drastically changing his origin, since the whole Bruce Wayne deal is being old money and having major industry connections and a sprawling family manor.
New Money African-Americans get gunned down because they're "flaunting" wealth sounds like very fertile ground for a nonwhite Batman.
And what's not to say PoC Batman doesn't have all that from a foreign country. Bruce Wei, his family attempted to flee China and was framed for anti-government actions. Bruce found Asylum as an orphan in the U.S. because the family's faithful butler snuck him out. Or something.

Batman just needs to have Money. The Old Money poo poo isn't necessary in an era where people on YouTube can be millionaires for being shrill and white.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

FilthyImp posted:

New Money African-Americans get gunned down because they're "flaunting" wealth sounds like very fertile ground for a nonwhite Batman.
And what's not to say PoC Batman doesn't have all that from a foreign country. Bruce Wei, his family attempted to flee China and was framed for anti-government actions. Bruce found Asylum as an orphan in the U.S. because the family's faithful butler snuck him out. Or something.

Batman just needs to have Money. The Old Money poo poo isn't necessary in an era where people on YouTube can be millionaires for being shrill and white.

The Old Money part is important for story elements involving the Wayne family's ties to Gotham. They are one of the city's founders from back in the colonial era.

That being said, it doesn't preclude the Waynes from being a multiracial family. Or even ignoring it to focus on different parts of the Batman story. :shrug:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Bogus Adventure posted:

They are one of the city's founders from back in the colonial era.
I feel like that works well for an east coast audience, but isn't really a thing anymore.

Or, again, play with it. Sally Hemings that poo poo. Waynes have been here from the start, Bruce. Our family's hands built it up.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Make Robert Pattinson the vampire Batman from that one animated justice league movie I watched. I think he was voiced by Michael C. Hall in that one.

Edit: It also had Latino Superman. That movie was great.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No but it would be ok for that version to use AAVE if he wanted

Who are you referring to? Is there a clip that you're talking about specifically?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Who are you referring to? Is there a clip that you're talking about specifically?

I'm referencing nothing, I was just kind of imagining Will Arnett when he wears the batman suit doing his Franklin voice from arrested development

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Ah, ok. Also today I learned what AAVE is.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Ah, ok. Also today I learned what AAVE is.

Isn't it the new woke version of 'ebonics'?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Cross post but

More "The Batman" news. Apparently the villains will be Penguin and Catwoman

https://news.avclub.com/r-bats-to-allegedly-face-off-against-catwoman-and-pengu-1834856246

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

I think jackie chan as batman would be cool

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Superheroes kind of run into the problem that a huge majority of them are either wealthy or effectively lacking in any sort of money concerns. It's kind of baked into the concept because their basic idea is someone who has enough free time and resources to go around fighting crime. Spider-Man is the big neon glowing counterexample here and even then it has always been a trend towards giving him solutions because it's infinitely easier to write "Peter Parker gets help from the Fantastic Four/Tony Stark/himself from an alternate dimension/whatever" than to actually try to create a plausible character who is at once constantly struggling for money and also can devote 8+ hours a day towards swinging around fighting crime without it feeling false.

That isn't to say it can't be done. It absolutely can and should. It's just that is why so many existing heroes have those particular advantages, which runs into the other problem of "we're basically doing nothing be regurgitating heroes from 50+ years ago, with almost no new characters created." And short of massive drastic changes to the characters (which naturally get really negative responses unless done extremely well) that means the Justice League is going to have multiple billionaires and the Avengers probably are 4/5ths people for who 'money troubles' is nonexistent.

I'm honestly not even sure how you can fix it. You need to get a creator with a strong voice and a willingness to buck the status quo who also wants to make these changes, then somehow convince the studio to allow it, and then somehow make it excellent enough to make it a central part of the character so it doesn't get instantly retconned once enough people complain. (Looking at you, IM3 Mandarin.) The best way would be creating new superheroes but I genuinely can't remember the last time a non-DC/Marvel superhero was successful enough to be relevant for more than a single film. I guess technically the Incredibles but lol Disney. Maybe the Split/Unbreakable universe?

"El Chicano, in theaters now."

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't it the new woke version of 'ebonics'?

It's the proper terminology for a distinct and interesting vernacular worth studying.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Cross post but

https://news.avclub.com/r-bats-to-allegedly-face-off-against-catwoman-and-pengu-1834856246

Played by Paul Giamatti and Sarah Gadon, inshallah, and maybe most of the movie is set inside the Batmobile

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Grendels Dad posted:

Steroids are a wonderful thing. For people watching the movies, anyway, for the actors they must be horrible.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The problem with ebonics is that it's a play on phonics which is in itself a method of teaching children to properly read, understand, and manipulate sound. The term ebonics sort of implied that black people have a paralleled and different understanding of phonics than white people. That isn't really true though.

While there might exist gaps in traditional understanding of phonics because of systematic racism in our education system and broader system racial discrimination that impact parenting and development of black children, there are tons of people who take part in AAVE but can switch back to a more "standard" English at least as well as any non-Black American.

In short if a black person says "dem," it's probably not because they can't properly manipulate the "th" sound in "them." It's just a different way to interpret the "th."

But honestly the "dem" example is also not great, because by and large black and white people are mostly pronouncing things the same. "Th" as a d sound or dropped "Rs" tend to be more of an affectation than anything else. AAVE has a lot more to do with syntax and verb conjugation.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

BiggerBoat posted:

Cross post but

I mean I love Batman Returns, but I'm not hyped to see the formula get repeated. I was kind of hoping for the Riddler, but you know, not as a screeching ball of white noise like he was in Batman Forever.