Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Jean-Luc Picard, UFP Pensioner

"What do you mean there's no senior citizen discount???"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Still would

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILbLGNDqUxA

that might be my favorite moment from TNG

Fornax Disaster posted:

https://torontolife.com/city/life/g...ll7x9hz4D9Vh_ZI

This huge Enterprise-A model was sitting on a lawn in a Toronto suburb this week, it was salvaged from movie theatre renovations. I know where there's another one just like it, at another theatre in the chain, maybe there's more out there.

At first I was like "oh poo poo the one that Christopher Lloyd made them blow up" but then I remember that that was actually the original Enterprise that had been retrofitted, and the 1701-A was in Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country and presumably lasted for many years afterward until retirement.

I always make that mistake...

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my first reaction was "poo poo, i want to buy that" despite living in an apartment and being broke. what the hell would i even do with a car-sized enterprize model, besides have sex with it (which should go without saying)?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

when i was growing up my cousins lived in riverside iowa, birthplace of captain kirk, and they had a big model of the enterprise that they would haul through the streets in a parade every year and the other 364 days it sat in a park and we used to play on it and one time some cranky old nerd yelled at us to get off it. welp hope you enjoyed my story live long and proper

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Preston Waters posted:

Pro tip: watch all of RIker's background expressions during that clip.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Pro tip: watch all of RIker's background expressions during that clip.

i'm wondering if Stewart improvised the whole thing when he just lets the phone ring. just walks over and wipes some dust off the plaque. i'd be holding in laughter too.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Preston Waters posted:

it wasn't until a couple of years ago that i realized "hibernation cycle" probably means that the Grizzelas are supposed to be a planet of bear people.

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 07:04 on May 17, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

my first reaction was "poo poo, i want to buy that" despite living in an apartment and being broke. what the hell would i even do with a car-sized enterprize model, besides have sex with it (which should go without saying)?

You have exquisite taste

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Preston Waters posted:

It's a very Star Trek moment, and surprising that it was written by the same person who did Up The Long Ladder.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it wasn't until a couple of years ago that i realized "hibernation cycle" probably means that the Grizzelas are supposed to be a planet of bear people.

Their third colony world was just right

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Just realized, in star trek's post scarcity future, someone has the lovely desk job of reviewing captain's logs all day

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they probably just have the computer do it. the computer can do everything.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ikanreed posted:

Just realized, in star trek's post scarcity future, someone has the lovely desk job of reviewing captain's logs all day
like on the bristol scale

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
“Captain’s Log...gonna need a poop knife.”

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gatts posted:

*low yield phaser spread amid-turd*

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gatts posted:

Do you think they invented the transporter for loving logistics?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Brawnfire posted:

*low yield phaser spread amid-turd*

*increasingly worried look as you have to keep dialing up the power every few seconds*

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

*increasingly worried look as you have to keep dialing up the power every few seconds*

*turns around to marvel at what is in the bowl*
Q'PLA!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ikanreed posted:

"Ah, here's this week's logs for the USS Korolev. I do hope they got those supplies to Starbase 14 on schedule. Let's see... they changed course to investigate a strange energy reading... oh no... thrown a hundred light-years off course by a godlike being, six security personnel dead... finally defeated the alien entity by... having the entire crew recite bawdy limericks nonstop? But... but what am I supposed to tell Starbase 14? What the hell are our starship captains even DOING out there? They KNOW this sort of thing can happen when you go poking around at every anomaly! Don't they realize how much paperwork will have to be redrawn now that the shipping schedule's been thrown into chaos?"

naem
May 29, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

"Ah, here's this week's logs for the USS Korolev. I do hope they got those supplies to Starbase 14 on schedule. Let's see... they changed course to investigate a strange energy reading... oh no... thrown a hundred light-years off course by a godlike being, six security personnel dead... finally defeated the alien entity by... having the entire crew recite bawdy limericks nonstop? But... but what am I supposed to tell Starbase 14? What the hell are our starship captains even DOING out there? They KNOW this sort of thing can happen when you go poking around at every anomaly! Don't they realize how much paperwork will have to be redrawn now that the shipping schedule's been thrown into chaos?"

in a post scarcity society everyone’s bored as hell all the time and they’d probably fight to be the one to sort through paperwork and document all the captains logs in triplicate, and it’s all designed to keep people busy because otherwise they’d start hooking up warp reactors directly to the replicator and shooting 5 dimensional protein cubes at each other

actually “star fleet” is just a clever way to get rid of all the annoying people so they don’t accidentally create a black hole in their garage and destroy inhabited planets

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ikanreed posted:

Do you think they invented the transporter for loving logistics?

THIS IS lovely-ALPHA V!

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Gatts posted:

THIS IS lovely-ALPHA V!

No wonder Khan was so mad.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Hey so if Rom was getting invited to important technical meetings with senior staff to decide the fate of the quadrant and probably start a war, why did he still have to work in waste extraction?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The allies are meeting to plan the Normandy invasion and they invite Gus the janitor to share his opinion

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Much like an army can’t fight on an empty stomach, an army can’t fight on a full toilet.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Mulaney Power Move posted:

The allies are meeting to plan the Normandy invasion and they invite Gus the janitor to share his opinion

If it was Scruffy the Janitor I would want him there.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey so if Rom was getting invited to important technical meetings with senior staff to decide the fate of the quadrant and probably start a war, why did he still have to work in waste extraction?

That's where poo poo gets done

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Everyone needs a hobby

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Preston Waters posted:

At first I was like "oh poo poo the one that Christopher Lloyd made them blow up" but then I remember that that was actually the original Enterprise that had been retrofitted, and the 1701-A was in Final Frontier and Undiscovered Country and presumably lasted for many years afterward until retirement.

I always make that mistake...
At the end of The Undiscovered Country, Uhura gets a transmission from Starfleet that the Ent-A is to be decommissioned. Which is weird because according to Memory Alpha that means it's only in service for 7 years (the end of The Voyage Home to the end of TUC is apparently a 7 year period).

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Part of the Khitomer Accords required the Federation to either transfer the Enterprise to hauling garbage or to be hauled away as garbage.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I seem to recall that one of the proposed origins of the Enterprise-A was that she used to be USS Yorktown, and was just coming off a "refit" when The Voyage Home happened, so they decided to rename the ship right before assigning Kirk to command her.

Anyway, the admiralty meeting at the beginning of the movie has them discussing a drawdown of the fleet, so it's easy to imagine that when Enterprise radioed in "yeah we just got the crap kicked out of us, gonna take a couple weeks' to fix this poo poo" that Starfleet Command just said "...or we'll just mothball her since we've gotta cut some ships anyway."

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

Gutcruncher posted:

Much like an army can’t fight on an empty stomach, an army can’t fight on a full toilet.

These people who wear uniforms, go everywhere armed, have a strict chain of command and constantly get into battles with foreign powers are explorers not an army

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kibayasu posted:

Part of the Khitomer Accords required the Federation to either transfer the Enterprise to hauling garbage or to be hauled away as garbage.

:wow:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/Judoon_Platoon/status/1129465716875440128?s=19

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Stolen joke valor I saw that on Facebook like a week ago, and they stole it from tumblr

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FlamingLiberal posted:

At the end of The Undiscovered Country, Uhura gets a transmission from Starfleet that the Ent-A is to be decommissioned. Which is weird because according to Memory Alpha that means it's only in service for 7 years (the end of The Voyage Home to the end of TUC is apparently a 7 year period).

I assumed it was because Starfleet's Admiralty figured it was the only way to finally stop Kirk going adventuring. Promoting him sure didn't work, but no Constitution-class Enterprise, no Kirk running wild seems like a solid bet. And was.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

A ship that was in the process of a major refit and rebuild at the time the whale probe arrived was hastily finished up and renamed Enterprise-A when Starfleet decided to give Kirk his ship back for saving the planet. So the ship was much older than 7 years when it was decommissioned, it had only been named Enterprise that long. Presumably construction had already begun on the -B at that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

quark put his rent up the first time he tried to pay it with the federation's gratitude for a necessary job done well.