Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

FMguru posted:

The head of marketing for Chaosium said that the Japanese version of CoC outsells the English-language version.

I was asking elsewhere but is Japanese Call of Cthulhu localized to Japan? And if so, is it still set in the 20s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alien Rope Burn posted:

From everything I've seen, Chuubo’s Marvelous Wish Granting Engine is one of those perfect games that, is, indeed, so perfect that it hardly ever sees play.

Much like games like Castle Falkenstein, Unknown Armies, or Spellbound Kingdoms, its star is too hot to actually touch.

(Full disclosure: I'm in an Unknown Armies game right now.)

I've been tempted to run the Chuubo's Halloween Special on here as a PbP and/or Discord game. It seems to be of a manageable scale, unlike Glass-Maker's Dragon, which I'd love to play or run but is so daunting. (Also the GMD CYOA on the forums is pretty good and I wouldn't want to steal its thunder with a PbP version.)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Plutonis posted:

Vampire and the World of Darkness as a whole were the real hegemonical systems here instead of D&D since the 90s yeah. Strange enough Exalted and Scion never got localized though.

Wasn't it you that said the Street Fighter RPG was wildly popular over there and had a ton of unofficial splats?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Wasn't it you that said the Street Fighter RPG was wildly popular over there and had a ton of unofficial splats?

Yeah, you have stuff like in this site where not only you have fanmade splats, fighting styles, adventures and original characters but they also ported EVERY SINGLE SF CHARACTER from the games after 3 up to freaking Abigail and Ed from V http://www.sfrpg.com.br/

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

FMguru posted:

The head of marketing for Chaosium said that the Japanese version of CoC outsells the English-language version.

they had some Call of Cthulu writeup things that did pretty similar things to the big streams/podcasts. Plus COC is better suited to one shots which are more common in japan.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Plutonis posted:

Yeah, you have stuff like in this site where not only you have fanmade splats, fighting styles, adventures and original characters but they also ported EVERY SINGLE SF CHARACTER from the games after 3 up to freaking Abigail and Ed from V http://www.sfrpg.com.br/

I really find it wild that it had such a cultural impact on the RPG scene over there. Like, it's honestly fascinating to me, and it makes me wonder what other non-english speaking countries had a similar experience from non-D&D games landing and having an explosive reaction.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

remusclaw posted:

I was asking elsewhere but is Japanese Call of Cthulhu localized to Japan? And if so, is it still set in the 20s?

Yes and yes, among other settings. Japan has at least an exclusive Taisho/Showa book and a Sengoku book.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

drat it, now I need to learn either Cantonese, Mandarin, or a series of other small local languages to play fate with them.

Also, this is another little bit of evidence in my America sucks folder.

Darwinism posted:

This also happened (Grodd mind controlling a baby supervillain to gently caress over the Flash) so someone just really is stuck on the concept of using superpowered children as tools

No joke, though. Scott Snyder's Justice League is a classic in the making it and I think people are going to hold it in the same regard that they hold the Morrison run. You can mark my words on that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wasn't there a 3e D&D villain that had kids strapped all around them so that you couldn't attack him without hitting the kids (which would be an evil act)?

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't there a 3e D&D villain that had kids strapped all around them so that you couldn't attack him without hitting the kids (which would be an evil act)?

The Book of Vile Darkness had a villain with kids chained to him and if you hit him the magic armor/chains would transfer the damage to the children.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Heliotrope posted:

The Book of Vile Darkness had a villain with kids chained to him and if you hit him the magic armor/chains would transfer the damage to the children.

That's just kinda sad.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
It is.

That’s why we turned him into Dread Emperor Norton and his troupe of well compensated halfling performance artists.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I'd love to know why China loves FATE, or if it's just that other RPGs were banned there for a while and FATE just ended up capturing the market.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can't get banned for being inharmonious if your book lacks a setting

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Heliotrope posted:

"My character is utilitarian," I yell as I annihilate every child with one well-placed fireball

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I can think of a dozen ways a Wizard could beat that dude without harming the kids while the Paladin is hosed no matter what. Martial classes are for cucks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
my GM used a baddie based on that as a joke in a campaign and we solved that by just having the wizard transmute his chains to water or whatever and then kicking the poo poo out of him for being such a creep.

Book of Vile Darkness is so over the top tryhard I genuinely can't tell if it's just an unfunny joke stretched out for a full price splatbook or if someone really thought a baddie like that would make players go 'woah that's so hosed bro'.

At least Book of Exalted Goodness or whatever the other book was called is just really boring and had hilariously untested things like Vow of Poverty in it.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Covok posted:

No joke, though. Scott Snyder's Justice League is a classic in the making it and I think people are going to hold it in the same regard that they hold the Morrison run. You can mark my words on that.

It's good, it's really good, but it runs hard into the modern comics problem of "have you read the billion spinoff comics? welp good luck knowing why Superman has a Supereyepatch now, you aren't sufficiently dedicated to DC to have that knowledge"

Also like... every time he tries to establish how smart Luthor is it comes off as tell-don't-show for how Luthor totally did these smart things in the past so that's why he's suddenly ahead now. Or him telling the other villains how smart he is and that he knows that they're big dummies with big dummy plans. And Brainiac is just as bad, honestly.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Plutonis posted:

I can think of a dozen ways a Wizard could beat that dude without harming the kids while the Paladin is hosed no matter what. Martial classes are for cucks.

The Paladin wouldn't even be in trouble.

They're not harming the kids. The target's magic item is, and if we hold the Paladin responsible for the acts of their enemies, they become an impossibility.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Darwinism posted:

It's good, it's really good, but it runs hard into the modern comics problem of "have you read the billion spinoff comics? welp good luck knowing why Superman has a Supereyepatch now, you aren't sufficiently dedicated to DC to have that knowledge"

Also like... every time he tries to establish how smart Luthor is it comes off as tell-don't-show for how Luthor totally did these smart things in the past so that's why he's suddenly ahead now. Or him telling the other villains how smart he is and that he knows that they're big dummies with big dummy plans. And Brainiac is just as bad, honestly.

Scott Snyder does have trouble writing smart characters. The exact same thing you described happened with Batman. It's one of the main complaints with his Batman run.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The best part of that guy is that he's arguably not the stupidest thing in BoVD. This is the book that gave us Lichloved and the Nipple Clamps of Exquisite Torment, after all. Also feats for "you're really fat/skinny, and that's eeeeeeviiil."

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Paladin can just cast Detect Evil, and then stab the bad guy through the evil kid.

There's definitely an evil kid. You know you can take any random sample of 3+ kids, and one kid among them is evil. It's like, a cosmic law.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Heliotrope posted:

How one of my characters would probably react;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIIvpPGYjLs

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

How one of my characters would probably react;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIIvpPGYjLs

I wish Freakazoid had half the cult following that Animaniacs has

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

sexpig by night posted:

At least Book of Exalted Goodness or whatever the other book was called is just really boring and had hilariously untested things like Vow of Poverty in it.

Also “here’s an item that inflicts hideous torture on a victim but it only works on evil people so it’s totally cool for good people to use it”.

So yea, a saintly Paladin could attach evil kids to their armor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hyphz posted:

Also “here’s an item that inflicts hideous torture on a victim but it only works on evil people so it’s totally cool for good people to use it”.

So yea, a saintly Paladin could attach evil kids to their armor.

oh yea didn't they also introduce, like, woke poisons or something? They somehow only did horrific agonizing pain to bad people I think? I seem to remember a good chunk of the book was just reprinting the typical 'evil' gear but refluffing it so they can say the Paladin can use it now.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

sexpig by night posted:

oh yea didn't they also introduce, like, woke poisons or something? They somehow only did horrific agonizing pain to bad people I think? I seem to remember a good chunk of the book was just reprinting the typical 'evil' gear but refluffing it so they can say the Paladin can use it now.
Yeah, there were Good Poisons (ravages) and Good Diseases (afflictions) alongside a tremendous number of other "X is eeeeeeeevil so here's Y which acts just like X in every way but we made it sparkly and only hits evil things so it's good now!"

The best part was that ravages and afflictions were vastly more powerful because in addition to having the "no friendly fire" clause and bypassing natural immunity to poison/disease/ability damage, they also did extra damage equal to the target's cha mod and extra damage based on its creature type. So that balor you're hitting with a dex poison ravage is gonna take something like 1d6+10 dex damage.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah, they had special poisons ("ravages") that hurt people but they were all bad.

I thought Exalted Deeds was more interesting because usually good-exclusive or good-oriented stuff gets the short shrift in RPGs. It's a mixed bag, though.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
It always strikes me as odd when people say BoED was more interesting because the book is at least 90% "we took an evil thing and fluffed it to be sparkly, now it's good!" and/or "we took this evil thing and make it only target non-good things, that makes it good!" while ignoring their own moralizing about why the original thing is evil. At least the BoVD had some interesting concepts, even if the implementation left something to be desired. The BoED was just a lame reskin.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Yawgmoth posted:

It always strikes me as odd when people say BoED was more interesting because the book is at least 90% "we took an evil thing and fluffed it to be sparkly, now it's good!" and/or "we took this evil thing and make it only target non-good things, that makes it good!" while ignoring their own moralizing about why the original thing is evil.

Someone with an oglaf avatar, critical of Evil Detecting Dog? Impossible!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

From the outset of D&Ds origins, good-aligned clerics skirting around the "no bloodshed" clause of their faiths by pummeling foes to death with maces and clubs was emblematic of the fundamentally broken concept of good vs evil that has forever since pervaded the game. In D&D-universe, good people stay good by cheating the stupid, badly-thought out and arbitrary rules of goodness imposed by their universe.

This culminating in bad guys strapping babies to their armor to thwart paladins while good guys study and use officially good-sanctioned torture methods is actually completely perfect. It's irony taken to the level of art. It's hanging a lampshade on the stupidity. I struggle to believe the authors completely failed to understand what it was they were doing.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

sexpig by night posted:

So an evil man in a large city has ambitions. He's from a medieval city kind of like Vegas before it was Disneyfied, or NYC when it was dangerous. There's bad people all over. Oh sure, there's good people. They may even be in the majority, but the upper class of these cities is almost irrevocably evil, not that he minds himself as an evil character. He hatches a plan, a plan that will leave a massive power-vacuum in the city for him to fill, and more importantly, eliminating all rivals.

After finding a good source for these "Good Poisons" he pays or forces an alchemist to make tooooons of the stuff. He then dumps it all in the water supply, and in two easy steps he has eliminated all rivals and left a massive power vacuum. Then, since he foresaw this horrible tragedy, could make even more money by investing in antidotes and seed phony good-will by charging a small fee to help those afflicted. Maybe even bribe some "holy" men to spread the word that those who were afflicted are being punished by God and those who are not sick likely have lived pure lives. He might not even have to bribe them to do that, honestly.

I could easily see this happening on Discworld in Ankh-Morpork. Particularly the Guards series.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Holy gently caress... Turns out the concept of Good and Evil is a completely made up abstraction.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

much like hit points

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

imagine if you had a character class who could cast "read character sheet" as a spell-like ability, and I mean in-character looking at other character or monsters' sheets and seeing the numbers and stuff. That's what mechanics interacting with alignment do, and with the same sort of stupid consequences, only more-so.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Leperflesh posted:

imagine if you had a character class who could cast "read character sheet" as a spell-like ability, and I mean in-character looking at other character or monsters' sheets and seeing the numbers and stuff. That's what mechanics interacting with alignment do, and with the same sort of stupid consequences, only more-so.

That is literally an ability of one of the 5E fighter archetypes. You spend time observing an enemy and the GM starts reading you its stat block.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I think something similar is in Pathfinder, too. At the very least "detect evil" is still a thing, which is troublesome enough on its own.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

wizzardstaff posted:

That is literally an ability of one of the 5E fighter archetypes. You spend time observing an enemy and the GM starts reading you its stat block.

Yeah, but the character is supposed to still only know in-character things, which you as the player interpret for them. The character sheet is out-of-universe modeling exposing game rules which serve as abstractions of the in-universe "reality" the characters inhabit, in which a sword hacks up someones body, it doesn't subtract hit points from a tally.

Evil/Good and to a lesser extent Chaotic/Lawful are in-character facts that characters can know with certainty about each other, even though they're really abstractions. I can't think of any other cases in D&D where the characters have in-character absolute knowledge of mechanics that ought to be considered by the game as abstractions or models rather than in-universe facts.

basically what I'm getting at is detect evil was a mistake

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
use friends characters and give the spells names like detect ross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
This previous series of posts highlights why unless I'm using a variation of Abrahamic cosmology for a setting, I stick to just Order and Chaos for the big cosmic tentpoles, it's a lot less messy