Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

JosefStalinator posted:

Can someone post the abortion chart comparing if policies actually prevent abortions or just hurt women?

I promise I'll save it to my PC this time, but it keeps coming up in conversation with people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dog Friday posted:

The Trump administration has been such an aberration that one must wonder what will follow. Is he simply a once-off true outsider who's stars aligned during 2016? Will his complete immunity in his lawless behavior be repeated by the next GOP candidate? Can GOP return back to normal after all they have spent to enable his presidency? He's breaking so many precedents it's incredibly hard to see where this will end up steering the US in the longer term.

Welcome to D&D, Biden. :)

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Considering that abortion will now be front and center in 2020 that might as well go in the OP.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Great chart, but the overton window is now at the point where they're being slightly more ideologically consistent and banning everything.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Jaxyon posted:

Great chart, but the overton window is now at the point where they're being slightly more ideologically consistent and banning everything.

There's a difference between the overton window and ideological minority control of the government.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah they heard the left telling them they weren’t being consistent and must not actually think of abortion as murder so they got really consistent that only fetuses are humans with rights and no one else, especially mothers, have any rights at all.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Lol that Tulsi thinks she’s relevant enough to warrant having an enemies list.

I like that it was put together clearly to encourage people to harass them and that #19 on the list is a "student."

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Thank you!

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

"I'm not racist, I just don't like black people" said the racist.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Not to bring primary chat in here but Tulsi is literally polling at 0-1%. She sure has some delusions of grandeur.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AT73vf64pAI

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1129519485877129216

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Remember that Fox does good polling.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Not to bring primary chat in here but Tulsi is literally polling at 0-1%. She sure has some delusions of grandeur.

But if she's got an enemies list suddenly those enemies can be the reason she's polling so poorly and not that she's an animate tire fire in kkk robes.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I'm sure the key to the turn around is smoking out those student twitter trolls.

edit: But yeah, I'm sure its at least in part a public or private "this is the real reason everyone hates me, FAKE NEWS!" thing.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

KickerOfMice posted:

There's a difference between the overton window and ideological minority control of the government.

The actual conversations and the legislation now is shifted, and now the press is calling these laws "tough" rather than "radical" or insane.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jaxyon posted:

It's worthwhile to constantly point out that they are consistent with their beliefs, they just are lying about what those beliefs are.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

interesting sounds like parts of the GOP are sick of his poo poo.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

Edge & Christian posted:

I do not have enough knowledge about polling (then or now) to comment on the veracity of this thread, but I am familiar with Micah Ian Wright, the author of the thread!

Back in the run-up to invading Iraq in 2003, Wright was an aspiring comic book writer (who I guess had done some work writing for Nickelodeon, though how much/what/when can be unclear) who was making his name by being a vocal anti-war voice who also happened to be a Former Army Ranger who has Seen Some poo poo and Knows All About the Military. Then he gathered up a bunch of Photoshopped WWII Army Propaganda posters from the Internet (including some from this very forum's old Photoshop Fridays!) and got a book deal out of that. He also got writing gigs at DC to write military-themed superhero comics, and the whole "Badass Anti-War Leftist Military Dude [b]Knows What the gently caress He Is Talking About, Sit Down and Shut Up" hook really seemed to work, in part because it was 2003 and in the comics industry (and to a degree, online in general) everyone was trying to be Warren Ellis.

Once he started talking to real journalists who looked into his background, it turned out that he made everything about being a Ranger up, including first person narratives published as forewords to his books. He initially tried to spin this puppetmaster-style, as some sort of grand social experiment to prove how gullible the media was, that they would fall for his obvious lies, before issuing something closer to an apology, and then sort of disappearing.

He scrubbed his website and blocked it from being archived by the Wayback Machine, but he also had a lot of Insider Tales of The Animation Industry that implied or outright stated that he'd worked on Spongebob Squarepants and Rugrats or was going to be working on [Adult Swim projects] or had been involved with various award winning projects without any evidence of any of those things being true. I honestly didn't realize he was still out there hustling.

Which isn't even to say that he's wrong about Dewey Beats Truman or how polling methodology is dumb (I know it is) but dude is a lifelong hustler, and any of his personal expertise on non-scamming things is probably worth independently confirming. And if he was lying, it was to teach you that lesson!

Oh poo poo! I remember this, but forgot it was him or that he even existed until right now! Thanks for the heads up.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Barr is polling lower than Trump on credibility :lol:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"I'm not racist, I just don't like black people" said the racist.
Nono! She clearly says she has no problem with black people that act right. *Chris Rock voice* See there are two kinds of black people

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Mr Interweb posted:

Barr is polling lower than Trump on credibility :lol:

he is too obvious about it. poo poo like this would have flown in the age of reagan and even W before the internet became what it is today. but now everyone sees he is full of poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
<n/m>

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 18, 2019

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

She’s going to lose her next election in Hawaii I would imagine now, so I bet she feels pretty dumb.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Dog Friday posted:

The Trump administration has been such an aberration that one must wonder what will follow. Is he simply a once-off true outsider who's stars aligned during 2016? Will his complete immunity in his lawless behavior be repeated by the next GOP candidate? Can GOP return back to normal after all they have spent to enable his presidency? He's breaking so many precedents it's incredibly hard to see where this will end up steering the US in the longer term.

Are you joking or serious?

There's no aberration. This has been the country I've known for the 40 years I've lived on this planet.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

1glitch0 posted:

There's no aberration. This has been the country I've known for the 40 years I've lived on this planet.

This is such a lame take every time it comes up. Republicans have always been monsters AND trump isn’t normal. Both are true.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
Oh my god you guys is that Dr. Phil and Ben Shapiro in a Yarmulke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QpoXJs7vi0&t=23s

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

ewiley posted:

Oh my god you guys is that Dr. Phil and Ben Shapiro in a Yarmulke?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QpoXJs7vi0&t=23s

I WANT TO TELL YOU SOME FACTS ABOUT YOUR FEELINGS

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Dapper_Swindler posted:

he is too obvious about it. poo poo like this would have flown in the age of reagan and even W before the internet became what it is today. but now everyone sees he is full of poo poo.

Part of Trumps power (and why the "competent version of him" will never function or work) is he huffs his own farts, and lies in such a quick instinctive way that he's already believing himself before he finishes talking. And is stupid enough to not be mentally active enough to be thinking or strategizing any of this.
So that it comes off way more.... authentic for idiots than the calculating liar like Barr.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Dog Friday posted:

Yeah, a celebrity with a melting brain running a massively corrupt administration on a platform of minority oppression is pretty wild. Especially with how unsettled Latin America and the Middle East have been.

This new AG Barr burying legal cases is pretty weird but at least we have this new Space thing to look forward to!

Just brand new stuff, all around.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

KickerOfMice posted:

If that's true, then the Overton window is now a functionally useless concept.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

The one about the rape and incest exceptions seems so outdated now. That used to be normal.

E: covered, really.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/jeremyherb/status/1129538600377438209

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Pembroke Fuse posted:

A surprising hold-over from the post-Stalinist reformist phase of the USSR. Not every former Soviet Republic held on to the more progressive bits of Soviet policy, unfortunately.

Also, Caucasus Georgian food is way better.

Truth. I was in Lviv a couple weeks ago, and our hosts took us to a Georgian/Armenian restaurant for almost every single meal. I now crave khachapuri, khinkali, and chacha aaaahh

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

"Sent from my iPhone, while cooperating with Mueller"

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

1glitch0 posted:

Datum is not data, but maybe have a happy June anyway. :)

Edited to regretfully timg.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

1glitch0 posted:

The intentional cruelty is fairly normal for Republican presidents, though Trump is much more blatantly a monster than any other and is not trying to hide it like they usually do. During Democratic presidents however things are very much better than this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/woodruffbets/status/1129537876314791937

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

ponzicar posted:

Somewhere in the US a competent, charismatic fascist is looking at all the poo poo Trump is getting away with and taking notes.

I was really worried about this for a long time but it's also been abundantly clear that competent, charismatic and fascist rarely come together and it's entirely possible that Trump is the best shot they'll ever have, at least for another generation.

It's also helped that if someone like this were waiting in the wings we'd know if they're around right now, but nobody as evil and lovely as Trump has Trump's personality cult and I can't think of anyone out there who could snatch it from him. Then again, who knows how things could play out in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

That assumes that Democrats will have the spine to even do anything other than draw lines and act surprised when Dipshit's corrupt cronies ignore them.

I just don't know what is left to do; the system of checks and balances has broken down. Congress won't do its job, the DOJ is corrupted, and the Supreme Court is probably not going to help. I don't have much faith that we will be "allowed" a free and fair election to get this bastard out of office.

It could be that I've lost perspective and need a break (probably so), but I've been feeling for the past few weeks that it was game over. I don't want to come across as "nothing matters", but I just don't know what to do if the rule of law can be blatantly ignored.

Your follow-up posts kinda cleared your stress attack up, but this initial post makes me want a Pelosi-themed comic where she Seal Team 6's in from helicopters and LCACs and mostly fixes stuff and rids the world of Republican terrorists RIGHT NOW but not necessarily quite all of the time. Mostly wanna see the Pelosi roundhouse kick to the Turtle throat page (!) (and the reality, tbh).