Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Krankenstyle posted:

i pronounce everything like in game of thrones (the books, not the tv show)

"Sword"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZMls1aQCrM

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Well I feel foolish.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Cacafuego posted:

This is the way I’ve always pronounced them and this is at least Pennsylvania-wide, because I'm from the East.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyU_nGfPcCE

This is the way I believe that I say, and definitely how I hear them.

You’re the second person to say your from east pa. I’m assuming nepa? I think anything outside of Montgomery, Philadelphia, delco, and parts of Chester and bucks pretty much stand alone as far as accents go. once you get outside that hour radius of Philly you get the different accent, which gradually morphs into the Pittsburgh accent as you cross the state, at least in my experience.

AFewBricksShy has a new favorite as of 02:28 on May 18, 2019

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Phosphine posted:

It's not even remotely correct. Worcestershire is pronounced /ˈwʊstərʃər/, or if you don't read IPA I'd write it something like "wuss-ter-sher". Three syllables, short o/u sound.

Wor-chester-shire :downs:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5-AhIDzqAs

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Whir stir sure

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

WHARRGARBL

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

that's the three words that exist in finnish: saatana, perkele and saatana

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Krankenstyle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z7_pVrIshxA

that's the three words that exist in finnish: saatana, perkele and saatana

You forgot sauna

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

rodbeard posted:

Whir stir sure

https://youtu.be/OgaJla-togA

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Bertrand Hustle posted:

You forgot sauna

no im fairly sure theres a sauna in there too, its just pronouned in one of those three ways

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

https://youtu.be/DQGdbWrAIGE

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Shifty Nipples posted:

Wor-chester-shire :downs:

A la the guy in the Bugs Bunny cartoon, Worsheshtershishtersheshtershishtershire.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm from Texas and I say war-shire but I know for sure I'm pronouncing it wrong but can't really mentally wrap my head around how I should say it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Leavemywife posted:

It just kinda hit me the other day, but I realized that we're probably going to see remakes of the Harry Potter movies in our lifetimes. We'll also see the copyright on Mickey Mouse run out, which is also weird. But I think that's only classic Mickey, not any modern version. I'm not sure how that works.

There is, in fact, legal precedent in the US on this!

quote:

In December 2013 a U.S. District Court decided that copyright in the fictional characters Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson had expired, but only for the characters as they’re depicted in the earlier novels by Arthur Conan Doyle. Aspects of the characters that are mentioned only in the later novels — such as Dr. Watson’s athletic background, first described in a 1924 short story — are considered new “increments of expression” of those characters, and remain protected.

That makes eminent sense for writers and lawyers, but what about poor Dr. Watson, anxiously stirring the fire at 221B Baker Street? Does he have an athletic background or doesn’t he? The copyright law seems to apply to a version of him that does, and not to one that doesn’t. Should we say there are two Dr. Watsons? That doesn’t seem right.

Assuming Disney doesn't buy enough Congresspeople, Mickey Mouse will come into public domain in increments; any characteristics added after the "public domain point" will still be under copyright, while those included in public-domain cartoons will be free to use. So you could animate a whole series of adventures about Steamboat Willie-era Mickey Mouse - and you could include Minnie, if you wanted, since she was created in 1928, the same year that Steamboat Willie was released. But you couldn't use any of Mickey's or Minnie's characteristics that weren't in those first shorts - and you couldn't use Goofy (1932), Donald (1934), or Pluto (1930) at all, at least for a couple years.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AFewBricksShy posted:

Where in the east? They are pronounced very distinctly here. Aaron's beginning 2 "A's" sound like the A in "apple". Erin sounds like Air-in.

Near Reading which is about 1.5 hours NW from Philly. Slightly Amish.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

AFewBricksShy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyU_nGfPcCE

This is the way I believe that I say, and definitely how I hear them.

You’re the second person to say your from east pa. I’m assuming nepa? I think anything outside of Montgomery, Philadelphia, delco, and parts of Chester and bucks pretty much stand alone as far as accents go. once you get outside that hour radius of Philly you get the different accent, which gradually morphs into the Pittsburgh accent as you cross the state, at least in my experience.

Allentown :v:

I think the only Finnish words I know are the names of the rally drivers - Makinen, Kankkunnen, Latvala, etc.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
There's a Seth Curry???

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Hyperlynx posted:

WHARRGARBL

:hmmyes:

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Mount Rushmore is real.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Phy posted:

A la the guy in the Bugs Bunny cartoon, Worsheshtershishtersheshtershishtershire.

Exactly

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Phy posted:

Me too.

Partly because this is how my dad always said it and I'm not at all confident in its actual pronunciation.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Worcester = Wuster.
Gloucester = Gloster.
Leicester = Lester.
Bicester = Bister.
Towcester = Toaster.
Shire = sheer.

Worcestershire = Wustersheer.

Simple!

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Freudian posted:

Worcester = Wuster.
Gloucester = Gloster.
Leicester = Lester.
Bicester = Bister.
Towcester = Toaster.
Shire = sheer.

Simple!

You forgot Incester

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

bell jar posted:

You forgot Incester

We don't talk about Norfolk

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK
in skyrim, you can assign the numbers 1 and 2 to two items in your favorites list, and equip them with a single keystroke or d-pad push. saves so much time.

it took how many years? and like 3 playthroughs to discover this

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I bought Kirby's Pinball Land on launch day in 1993 and I just found out a few hours ago that it's possible to save your game in it.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

I bought Kirby's Pinball Land on launch day in 1993 and I just found out a few hours ago that it's possible to save your game in it.

That telephone bird is from Earthbound, right? It always makes me happy to see it.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Yeah, it's the telephone that shows up in Deep Darkness.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Freudian posted:

Worcester = Wuster.
Gloucester = Gloster.
Leicester = Lester.
Bicester = Bister.
Towcester = Toaster.
Shire = sheer.

Simple!

And

Godmanchester = Gomster
Featherstonehaugh = Fanshaw
London = Landscastertonaughleithhewstone

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I grew up in Texas speaking french and jesus christ, never thought I'd feel like a champion of precise english over here. Perscription? What the gently caress, barbarians? And I get how you might pronounce say, pin and pen the same because of your accent but surely you know how the vowel in Lin doesn't sound like the one in Ted? They are different sounds! Air. Metroid. At. Mary, merry, marry.

I'm wondering if it will blow anyone's mind that "th" makes two different sounds in english. That thief.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:59 on May 24, 2019

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The white/yellow part of a canker sore is a protein covering called fibrin, which is kinda like scar tissue.

This knowledge has eluded me for a long time. As a kid, my parents didn't know. Years of asking Google has resulted in pages and pages helpfully informing me that canker sores have a white center. Like, poo poo, yes, I know that, what was it? Ugh.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Are you sure you don't mean chancre

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Scaramouche posted:

Are you sure you don't mean chancre

Canker sores are oral ulcers. Chancres are symptoms of syphilis and are basically STDs.

So, no, you're (possibly intentionally and this is a :thejoke: situation) mistaken.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Yeah I was just trying to muddy the waters a little and spawn some future poo poo I figured out moments in others

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Today I learned Daft Punk was early 2000s and not the 80s/early 90s I had thought.

Recently my wife learned what derring-do is, because she had previously thought the DuckTales lyric was "Tales of daring, do bad and good luck tales" instead of "Tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales"

It means heroic courage, btw.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Late ‘90s, actually. Homework came out in 1997.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Sorry, was just going by Discovery, which is really all I'm familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Beachcomber posted:

Sorry, was just going by Discovery, which is really all I'm familiar with.

Around the world around the world around the world around the world was everywhere in the late 90s. At least, that's how it seemed at the time. That and Republica's "Ready to Go."