Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

space marine todd posted:

Welp, July can't come fast enough.

Apparently a new version of the XPS 15 is coming in June as well, which should include a 9th gen eight-core Core i9, GTX 1650, the option for an OLED screen, and most importantly, the webcam is relocated back to above the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

enraged_camel posted:

- Around 2.5 lbs (lighter = better)
- More than 12 hours of battery life under moderate load (e.g. programming work plus having youtube music channels run in the background)
- 4k display (brighter = better, I want to be able to see the screen even when under direct sunlight, e.g. when sitting outside)

Basically, I'm looking for something I can put in my backpack and take with me in the morning, without its charger (I don't want the extra weight), and have its battery last the entire workday without me feeling battery anxiety.

Doesn't exist. Suck it up and carry a charger. You can handle an extra 75 grams.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
So I have an X230 and I'm fairly happy with it but I'm looking at travelling more, using the laptop full time for a while and I'm ready to plunk down another couple bucks. Mainly I'm wanting something that has a little beefier specs, not this arful TN Panel screen, and maybe better battery life.

Do any of the larger refurbishers (like Arrow) provide screen information on request/their site or do I just have to buy from someone on ebay or whatever to get that?

Seems like it's either a Carbon or maybe an x250+ while finding one with the IPS panel?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
How bad are HP Omens and would an 8300H bottleneck an RTX 2060?
These are the options:

Omen 15t:
RTX2060, 8300H, 144hz Screen: $1025
GTX 1660Ti, 9750H, 144hz: $1082
RTX2060, 8750H, 144hz: $1140
RTX2070, 8750H, 144hz: $1329

If the Omen can't handle the heat and I should just look elsewhere I will. I am in no rush to buy a gaming laptop and ideally I want to spend under $1100.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

GTX 1660Ti, 9750H, 144hz: $1082 that seems like your sweet spot to me- based solely on the context of these 4 devices alone.

E: when this thing https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predato...sr=8-3-fkmrnull finally comes out it would be worth looking at, especially since i bet it can be had for under $1100 pretty quickly after release if you look for it

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 14, 2019

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Alpha Mayo posted:

These are the options:

Omen 15t:

If the Omen can't handle the heat and I should just look elsewhere I will. I am in no rush to buy a gaming laptop and ideally I want to spend under $1100.

There should be a lot more 1660ti laptops coming out in the next couple months. I'd wait for those because they are cheaper and only run slightly slower than the 2060.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

chunkles posted:

So I have an X230 and I'm fairly happy with it but I'm looking at travelling more, using the laptop full time for a while and I'm ready to plunk down another couple bucks. Mainly I'm wanting something that has a little beefier specs, not this arful TN Panel screen, and maybe better battery life.

Do any of the larger refurbishers (like Arrow) provide screen information on request/their site or do I just have to buy from someone on ebay or whatever to get that?

Seems like it's either a Carbon or maybe an x250+ while finding one with the IPS panel?

I have an IPS X250 in SA-mart....

That said, depending on how much you want to spend, there are other options you might want to consider.

You can get something like an XPS 13 with a 4K screen and an even thinner laptop

There’s also the new X390 which looks really nice

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Doesn't exist. Suck it up and carry a charger. You can handle an extra 75 grams.

What if I lose the 4K requirement?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

enraged_camel posted:

What if I lose the 4K requirement?

I can't understand why you would do that instead of carrying a charger. You can get one that weighs 2.56 ounces.

edit: just to be clear, nothing on the market will give you a consistent 12 hours of battery life coding and streaming youtube with the screen at reasonable brightness, 4k or not. It doesn't exist, that wasn't a flippant answer.

edit edit: I forgot all about the LG Gram. The 13" 2018 model might come close to what you want. There's no 4k option, but 1080p at 13" is reasonably high DPI anyway. It's not exactly a thrilling machine, but it's got a bigass 72wh battery in it, and it'll get you a very solid 9 hours, and an extremely iffy 12 if you manage it just right.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 15, 2019

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

I have an IPS X250 in SA-mart....

That said, depending on how much you want to spend, there are other options you might want to consider.

You can get something like an XPS 13 with a 4K screen and an even thinner laptop

There’s also the new X390 which looks really nice

Oh yeah I'm looking for budget stuff. I'd say I'd like to drop $500-800 including any upgrades/replacements that might be necessary (e.g. I'd be fine buying one with a nice panel and swapping in a decent sized SSD). I spose I could jump up but I don't really need much more than that. The x230 meets my needs fine actually but I'm getting tired of looking at the screen

That x390 looks spiffy though and this coupon brings the one I want to $850, I might read some reviews and consider that

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yeah any good newer laptop will have USB C charging support, which will make the charger a lot smaller than the standard laptop fare.

I’ve never looked into this, but I would imagine it’s possible to charge a laptop via a power bank? If your concern is not so much the charger but the potential lack of power outlets.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

Hi thread,

I work remotely and try to bike everywhere. I carry my laptop in my backpack, which I'm trying to keep as light as possible.

I carried my Thinkpad in my rear pannier bag which is going to cause a ton of vibration, especially compared to on your back

I'm not sure if the XPS series uses loc-tite on every screw. Thinkpads are vibration tested and use blue loc-tite on every screw.

Axiom makes a great rear pannier that mounts directly to your rear wheels quick release through axel. Hauling a laptop around on your back is loving awful sweaty work.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

These are the options:

Omen 15t:

That CPU is a recent i5 and should probably not bottleneck that GPU. That said, it depends on the game first of all; the recent Battlefield games in particular, especially in multiplayer, are apparently CPU-heavy, as are games like open-world , RTS, anything with lots of AI/units to keep track of. Also, while most modern games are 3D with heavy effects and thus are normally bottlenecked by the GPU, your settings are important: lowering the graphical options will give you a higher framerate and shift the load back to the CPU.

But ultimately, I suggest checking benchmarks of games you actually intend to play on similar hardware. For example, I'd look for "Battlefield 5" or "Call of Duty whatever" or "GTA 5" and either a GPU, or CPU, or even specific laptop model; you can find benchmarking videos on Youtube of users running MSI Afterburner with performance and utilization data in an overlay.

Of those models listed, I'd probably go with one of the 2060 ones; the 8300H should be fine as all of the above, but for the extra ~$100 the CPU upgrade might be worth it if you use the same system for anything else CPU-intensive like video transcoding. The 9750H is not worth that amount with the 1660. The 2070 system is possibly worth the upgrade, as that level of performance is pretty significant for that price, and you're in all reality not going to upgrade the GPU or CPU so take that into consideration.

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Yeah any good newer laptop will have USB C charging support, which will make the charger a lot smaller than the standard laptop fare.

I’ve never looked into this, but I would imagine it’s possible to charge a laptop via a power bank? If your concern is not so much the charger but the potential lack of power outlets.

You can do this; you can get 100 W over USB-C with the current PD revision, and Anker for example makes USB-C power banks, IIRC around the order of 26+ Ah.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

My own feedback was largely based on the fact that that i5 is a 4c vs the i7s being 6c and the trend for modern high end games to run better on 6c vs 4

a trend that will presumably continue

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Does this look like a good buy? Microsoft - Surface Laptop 2 - 13.5" Touch-Screen - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive (Latest Model) - Platinum

It's that or whatever XPS 13 I can squeak under $1k (expensing a laptop for work).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Does this look like a good buy? Microsoft - Surface Laptop 2 - 13.5" Touch-Screen - Intel Core i5 - 8GB Memory - 128GB Solid State Drive (Latest Model) - Platinum

It's that or whatever XPS 13 I can squeak under $1k (expensing a laptop for work).

https://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlin...ihgTTa13NnKrXZV

i think these are better machines as well as better value

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Or buy a second charger and keep it in the office. That's what I did it ended up being totally worth it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Statutory Ape posted:

My own feedback was largely based on the fact that that i5 is a 4c vs the i7s being 6c and the trend for modern high end games to run better on 6c vs 4

a trend that will presumably continue

Yeah but that i5 is a 4C8T which is what i7s have been for years, and even the old 4C4T i5s have always been sufficient for mid-range gaming. Ultimately as I said it all depends on the specific game as well as your graphical options, but if you check out game benchmarks you'll see that most 3D games max out the GPU but not the CPU, and the only time that gets inverted is when you drop graphical fidelity to max the framerate (e.g. for CS GO.)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Atomizer posted:

Yeah but that i5 is a 4C8T which is what i7s have been for years, and even the old 4C4T i5s have always been sufficient for mid-range gaming.

While generally true for now, this will not be true in the near future, as more and more games figure out how to actually utilize more than 2-3 cores at a time. Yes, games will still run on 4c CPUs, but we're already seeing deltas open up between 4c and 6c. HyperThreading also seems like it's not long for this world with all the hilarious security holes popping up around it. More cores also benefits general workloads, and can make a world of difference when you are playing a game that will happily use 4 cores at >80% and are trying to do basically anything else in the background.

Given the choices, a 1660Ti is usually <10% slower than a 2060. If it's actually a full-fat 1660Ti vs a 2060 Max-Q, they're virtually identical in performance, and the 1660Ti still has the edge in TDP. The ray-tracing oomph of a laptop 2060 isn't really gonna be worth much, either. So there's really no compelling reason to opt for a 2060 if you can get a 1660Ti, instead.

Given the choice between a 8300H and 9750H, the latter gives you more options by simply having two extra cores, at minimal downside.

Combined, a 8300H+2060 would seem to be less attractive than a 9750H+1660Ti at similar pricing. A 8750H+2060, similarly, would be iffy at the samr price, let alone at a higher price. Statutory Ape was correct in his assessment.

DrDork fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 16, 2019

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

The 8750H and 9750H are both 6c/12t CPUs, and basically level out to the exact same all-core boost clock as well (3.4ghz) unless you have a Razer Blade, in which case some aggressive power limits mean you get a 3.2ghz all-core boost.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You're right. I was thinking the 8300. My bad.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm kind of shopping for a laptop, something preferably thin looking for airline travelling and portability. I'd ideally like to install steam games on it, something along the lines of crusader kings 2 or strategy games like that - doesn't need to be to fancy.

I'm looking at the surface laptop 2 although it seems a bit pricey. I'm hearing good things about our Chinese overlords also, with the huawei matebook 13?

I'm reluctant to spend alot because I've got a gaming PC and would really only use this for travelling/maybe office use.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Communist Bear posted:

I'm kind of shopping for a laptop, something preferably thin looking for airline travelling and portability. I'd ideally like to install steam games on it, something along the lines of crusader kings 2 or strategy games like that - doesn't need to be to fancy.

I'm looking at the surface laptop 2 although it seems a bit pricey. I'm hearing good things about our Chinese overlords also, with the huawei matebook 13?

I'm reluctant to spend alot because I've got a gaming PC and would really only use this for travelling/maybe office use.

I googled around and it looks like people are playing CK2 on modern integrated graphics with some settings adjustment

I have that game and an xps 13 with intel UHD 620 graphics- ill install it for you and see what we see

E: i started and got into a new game that ran fine, but presumably with a game like this as you progress through a scenario it becomes more taxing on the machine as more is going on. if you can think of a way for me to test that without actually sitting down to play, lmk. 8th gen i7/16gb ram with the QHD+ screen- although i changed the monitor resolution to x1080 for the game because it didnt seem to scale well by default. below thats the i5/8gb/1080 version of the same machine at dell refurb outlet for $688 https://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlin...2fvRflolw%3d%3d

Worf fucked around with this message at 13:54 on May 16, 2019

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Thank you for the help kind goon :)

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Statutory Ape posted:

E: i started and got into a new game that ran fine, but presumably with a game like this as you progress through a scenario it becomes more taxing on the machine as more is going on.

Sim games will get CPU bound after a while, but if they run fine out the gate then you probably have enough GPU. Exceptions to this are things like Cities Skylines, or really any other builder where the actual scene gets more complex and detailed as the game progresses. Paradox games and their ilk don't generally have that issue.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Anyone have a Lenovo P50? Worried about screen quality (1080p) and turbo boost issues

Then again B&N link gets you a new P52S for $800 so buying a used older one doesn’t have that much benefit

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Communist Bear posted:

Keep in mind both Surface and Matebooks have 3:2 screens which might not be supported in some games. I really, really liked it on the Surface for productivity but its kind of rubbish for media and games.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

I'm a bit concerned about these. On the one hand, the colour reproduction and high contrast ratios would be super nice to have, but I am eternally concerned about burn-in and display degradation.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Hey guys, so i'm looking to replace a tower i currently have sitting in my living room and use as a media box.

It just needs to be able to:
Play 720/1080p media (via something like Kodi)
Handle large 100MB+ excel files (i occasionally do work from the living room)
Be small/slim (i'm looking to make my TV unit nice and tidy and tuck this thing away rather than have this tower taking up so much floor space).
Most of my media is stored on external drives so it doesn't need to have a super huge HDD, though a SSD is desirable.

Are there any fairly cheap laptops that fit the bill? I'm in the UK if that matters.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Kin posted:

Hey guys, so i'm looking to replace a tower i currently have sitting in my living room and use as a media box.

Be small/slim (i'm looking to make my TV unit nice and tidy and tuck this thing away rather than have this tower taking up so much floor space).
Most of my media is stored on external drives so it doesn't need to have a super huge HDD, though a SSD is desirable.

Are there any fairly cheap laptops that fit the bill? I'm in the UK if that matters.

Are you going to just use the laptop as a desktop plugged into the TV? Or would it be used as an actual laptop

If this is going to spend its time plugged into a TV and never move theres better options than laptops out there for you

AgentCow007
May 20, 2004
TITLE TEXT

Kin posted:

How cheap is fairly cheap? You can get refurb Dell XPS for like half the original price. But I would still grab a cheap Android box to throw behind the TV, and take proper care of the laptop.

If you want dirt cheap, you might want to look into business surplus laptops. Check ebay for ThinkPads and look for people who have 20 to sell and you'll get the best price.

AgentCow007 fucked around with this message at 20:20 on May 17, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Amazon UK had some potentially decent deals on the usual i5 3000 series £230 pounds or elfcoin or whatever you guys use though idk if they natively output to hdmi

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

Are you going to just use the laptop as a desktop plugged into the TV? Or would it be used as an actual laptop

If this is going to spend its time plugged into a TV and never move theres better options than laptops out there for you

Plugged in all the time but I'd be using it on occasion for work stuff but using the TV as the main output with wireless kb/m and my arse on the sofa.

What are the other options?

Price range I was thinking £300 at most.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Kin posted:

Plugged in all the time but I'd be using it on occasion for work stuff but using the TV as the main output with wireless kb/m and my arse on the sofa.

What are the other options?

Price range I was thinking £300 at most.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BLKS...ps%2C226&sr=1-2

if i was in your situation this would probably be me.

they have some that are slightly larger too that have some more ports on them etc. prices and features vary but you get the idea

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Turns out I actually need to lay hands on a new laptop pretty quickly. Lenovo claims if I order today and pick next business day shipping it'll be there on Monday but seems like their rep on the internet is a bit mixed. Is it okay now and if not what can I order that will run Linux well and be here sometime next week

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ocrassus posted:

I'm a bit concerned about these. On the one hand, the colour reproduction and high contrast ratios would be super nice to have, but I am eternally concerned about burn-in and display degradation.

Yeah, same. I forget if it was this thread or the display one, but there was some discussion about OLED burn-in and iirc it was still really bad :cry:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

space marine todd posted:

Yeah, same. I forget if it was this thread or the display one, but there was some discussion about OLED burn-in and iirc it was still really bad :cry:

TV OLED burn in has certainly gotten better, but it's still a thing. I'm curious as to what these new panels are doing that older ones were not that makes multiple manufacturers think that they're finally ready for prime time.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-BLKS...ps%2C226&sr=1-2

if i was in your situation this would probably be me.

they have some that are slightly larger too that have some more ports on them etc. prices and features vary but you get the idea

Aha, I didn't know these were a thing.

This might actually be perfect.

I take it the gist is that when it's up and running it's indistinguishable from a using a desktop?

edit: just went and grabbed this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AZC4IKK/ref=psdc_428651031_t2_B01DQ3RLPO

It mentioned a memory card slot, but i couldn't spot details of which type of card i uses on the page. Would it just be a micro SD card or something?

Kin fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 18, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

quote:

Product Highlights

900 MHz Intel Core m3-6Y30 Dual-Core
4GB of 1866 MHz LPDDR3 RAM
Integrated Intel HD Graphics 515
64GB of eMMC Storage
802.11ac Wi-Fi & Bluetooth 4.2
3 x USB 3.0 Ports
1 x HDMI 1.4b Port
MicroSDXC Card Reader with UHS-I Support
Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

Yeah- it is a desktop computer, just in a small form factor. For your needs I think you can just consider it an extremely tiny PC. I'm pretty sure thats the same processor my chromebook uses- its snappy for this stuff.

If you want to do more further reading on it " BOXSTK2M3W64CC " is the model number of the one you linked me, you can find a ton by googling it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chunkles posted:

Turns out I actually need to lay hands on a new laptop pretty quickly. Lenovo claims if I order today and pick next business day shipping it'll be there on Monday but seems like their rep on the internet is a bit mixed. Is it okay now and if not what can I order that will run Linux well and be here sometime next week

Can you buy one from a place like CDW? They’ll have it in stock and can get you it the mextnday