Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

My pack beast can't pathfind to save its life, always getting stuck on random poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bigger characters can get stuck in between things if there's only one close path somewhere (aka my box maze) but certain characters are so thin that they can sneak through boxes other characters can't, so yeah I think character size will affect pathing, even down to such a small level that the game is constantly checking literally any possible opening they can take

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

space uncle posted:

I did have a beak thing clip through my wall and on to the top of my battlements. He promptly ran over to the ramp and smacked down all my farmers.

good dog

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay this is sort of working now. I built a wall around the town and that seemed to have stabilized my wandering intruders. I open the east gate and holy nation types will wander in.

I open the west gate and fogmen will roam.

I open both and fogmen have a buffet of holy nation types.

edit: Even better. If I keep the fog side open, any holy nation assaults will path to the fog gate side. This could be very useful.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 17, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Cardiovorax posted:

I know does make some kind of difference because a sufficiently meaty character will no longer fit through standard doorways or reliably get up stairs anymore, for example.

This is actually a life goal of mine.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Been trying to play with more animals.

Bonedogs are a real loving pain. When they're playing limbs, it fucks up all medic tasked people.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
So many things in this game seem left by the wayside.

The quality of armor only determines damage mitigation (rarely, it reduces some malus). So light armor that gets bonuses to offset the reduced protection doesn't scale with quality at all. And while many sets are neat (ninja/assassin rags) mid/late game your stats are high enough to handle heavier armor. I feel like quality is much more relevant with weapons, where a very high quality small weapon will still retain the benefit of indoor effectiveness and faster attack speed.

Besides walls, no passive defenses like dead falls punji stakes, etc. AI is extremely dumb when attacking your settle me. This isn't unique to Kenshi ;I saw comparable kill boxes in Rimworld as well. I know it's hard to make a genuinely clever AI and even harder to keep it balanced and fun. But I'm sure most veteran players would agree that most competent mobs of enemies should be thinking "hell naw" when they consider the prospect of pathing through a quarter mile of death gauntlet to reach your gate.

We have crossbows, but not simple thrown weapons? Tons of different neat weapons, yet no stabby spears or javelin type weapons?

Apparently the engine can't really do status effects, so things like poison, smoke bombs, nano viruses etc are never gonna happen.

Stealth only determines speed while steathed, not the more intuitive degree of invisibility while stealthed and how much light, terrain, etc modify it. High level stealth is basically "enemies will never aggro you unless you want them to"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Traps would be fun because lord knows I love my tower defense Kenshi base but man I cant imagine them being non-janky enough to be reliable

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Id like to think it would interact with perception so smarter enemies would avoid them to ensure they both had some uses yet were not guaranteed WMDs.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man
No matter how good the AI is there are always going to be ways to cheese it, the only way to properly deal with it is not cheese it.
The entire time I've played I've just had gates with no kill boxes or box mazes and it feels like the experience has been better for it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Delamore posted:

No matter how good the AI is there are always going to be ways to cheese it, the only way to properly deal with it is not cheese it.
The entire time I've played I've just had gates with no kill boxes or box mazes and it feels like the experience has been better for it.

That's true too. Though it touches on another problem:

When there is a game play issue so egregious you have to go out of your way to avoid it, then it is an indicator that it isn't really promoting balanced play. Someone had a similar explanation when I mentioned how broken stealing was. Both stealth and theft let you bypass a lot of content and trivialize a lot of the game. Granted, there's some places it's kind of necessary; breaking into Narkos Trap or the Traders Guild bank does feel like a fun 'heist' mission. But for most of the rest, the suggestion is to simply handicap yourself. There's no middle ground, which is kind of frustrating. People mentioned this was an issue in Skyrim (never played it, but read the funny stories) which tells me it's hard to make Theivery fun without wrecking the economy of the game.

But my idea is that stealth is proximity based, and armor doesn't just penalize it but alters how fast you can move, indoor VS outdoor stealth, biome or weather dependent stealth, etc. So you couldn't just Naruto run past a dozen guards willy nilly, but you could still sneak past patrols if you were careful and observant. Thievery shouldn't be a free for all like it is now,rather make novice thieves really lovely at what they can obtain (like from 1-20 when you try to steal stuff the only thing 'visible' are worthless items like balls of lint or bad poetry). Getting effective at it would mean more of a commitment in time and risk ;it's no longer the be all end all when alternative options might be faster or safer.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

That's true too. Though it touches on another problem:

When there is a game play issue so egregious you have to go out of your way to avoid it, then it is an indicator that it isn't really promoting balanced play. Someone had a similar explanation when I mentioned how broken stealing was. Both stealth and theft let you bypass a lot of content and trivialize a lot of the game. Granted, there's some places it's kind of necessary; breaking into Narkos Trap or the Traders Guild bank does feel like a fun 'heist' mission. But for most of the rest, the suggestion is to simply handicap yourself. There's no middle ground, which is kind of frustrating. People mentioned this was an issue in Skyrim (never played it, but read the funny stories) which tells me it's hard to make Theivery fun without wrecking the economy of the game.

But my idea is that stealth is proximity based, and armor doesn't just penalize it but alters how fast you can move, indoor VS outdoor stealth, biome or weather dependent stealth, etc. So you couldn't just Naruto run past a dozen guards willy nilly, but you could still sneak past patrols if you were careful and observant. Thievery shouldn't be a free for all like it is now,rather make novice thieves really lovely at what they can obtain (like from 1-20 when you try to steal stuff the only thing 'visible' are worthless items like balls of lint or bad poetry). Getting effective at it would mean more of a commitment in time and risk ;it's no longer the be all end all when alternative options might be faster or safer.

On the other hand, why even bother? If you want to abuse a game mechanic to steal a trivial amount of money, go for it? Why not just give ten guys crossbows and go shoot the guards of an ancient lab to death, then loot gear worth at least as much as whatever it is you might painstakingly steal from some dumb merchant? I have two endgame saves with minimal use of stealth mechanics because it just never came up. I didn't have to go out of my way to avoid it. What does it even mean to trivialize the game? What can your dumb sneak thief even do besides steal worthless money?

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

litany of gulps posted:

What can your dumb sneak thief even do besides steal worthless money?

Well, you can KO everybody in a place and strip their weapons...

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

BMan posted:

Well, you can KO everybody in a place and strip their weapons...

For what purpose? You won't gain any skill, as you aren't fighting. The money value is probably meaningless.

Edit: I mean, there are lots of seemingly pointless things in this game. But if I make some trash dude fight a captured elite enemy, they rapidly become powerful warriors. If I walk a man around with an inventory full of rocks and a corpse on their shoulder, they gain relevant stats. If I use stealth mechanics to knock out dudes and steal their rusty shitblades, I might net a profit of a few worthless coins. Exploiting stealth mechanics genuinely seems like the biggest and most worthless waste of time in a game filled with time wasters.

litany of gulps fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 18, 2019

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
edit: oops

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

litany of gulps posted:

For what purpose? You won't gain any skill, as you aren't fighting. The money value is probably meaningless.

Edit: I mean, there are lots of seemingly pointless things in this game. But if I make some trash dude fight a captured elite enemy, they rapidly become powerful warriors. If I walk a man around with an inventory full of rocks and a corpse on their shoulder, they gain relevant stats. If I use stealth mechanics to knock out dudes and steal their rusty shitblades, I might net a profit of a few worthless coins. Exploiting stealth mechanics genuinely seems like the biggest and most worthless waste of time in a game filled with time wasters.

Stealth is easily the quickest stat to level and allows you to bypass enemies that are guarding AI Cores and Science Books and Engineering Data which let you rapidly climb the tech tree and therefor access the top tier crafting stuff way sooner than normal, which in turn make it significantly easier to punch above your weight class

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

also getting stealth up lets you hit the great library up and skim like 500,000 cats worth of tech research, that's more of a one-time, one-man thing though

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

litany of gulps posted:

For what purpose?

To soften them up if you can't handle a frontal assault

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Welcome to Swim Camp. Swimming is mandatory.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

have you considered turning Fiz in for the bounty and then breaking them out again

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hmmmmm. I wonder how that would work.

ed: nope. I'm hostile to the HN so cant talk to them. Putting my own people in a hostile jail doesnt reward me.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Synthbuttrange posted:

Hmmmmm. I wonder how that would work.

ed: nope. I'm hostile to the HN so cant talk to them. Putting my own people in a hostile jail doesnt reward me.

Go pay the uh...pacifier his 15k or whatever. Then turn yourself in.

EDIT: oh, wait, NVM. I didn't realize the amount scaled with how bad your relations are.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Tbh almost every skill is completely op at high levels and that's just the nature of kenji. Yeah you can exploit stuff to do stupid poo poo if you hate challenges, but imo the cool thing about everything being strong is that you can also just run around a group of dudes in kinda lovely gear with decent weapons and still see basically everything. Yes if you exploit and min max the game becomes trivial.

It reminds me of morrowind where, yeah, there are a bunch of ways to break the game, but at the end of the day the game is more about sight seeing a cool world than stacking intel potions or whatever. At the end of the day, peoples' fond memories are of the game content they experienced, not tediously farming a bunch of mats to make some god regen ring or whatever

I'm not kidding btw, you can legit run squads around in total piecemeal crap armor once your stats are good and you'll own, you just have a bit more downtime or have to micro better.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Stealth is easily the quickest stat to level and allows you to bypass enemies that are guarding AI Cores and Science Books and Engineering Data which let you rapidly climb the tech tree and therefor access the top tier crafting stuff way sooner than normal, which in turn make it significantly easier to punch above your weight class
It's also frankly a convenience thing. A high-stealth squad can just be ordered to walk across half the map and have a decent chance of not being bothered by anyone or anything along the way. It saves you a lot of bother and it's really almost zero-effort to level. There is no particular reason to not do so on all your characters.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 10:48 on May 18, 2019

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Cardiovorax posted:

It's also frankly a convenience thing. A high-stealth squad can just be ordered to walk across half the map and have a decent chance of not being bothered by anyone or anything along the way. It saves you a lot of bother and it's really almost zero-effort to level. There is no particular reason to not do so on all your characters.

Especially with the fogmen strategy I've talked about, it's like a 30-minute process to get 80 Stealth on an unlimited number of party members, and then during that time you can also level Assassination. I did a stream where I had two guys walk into Cannibal Capital right under everyone's noses and kidnap 50k cats worth of bounties and then walk right out. It also allows me to move my skeletons around in the Holy Nation no problem because they're just invisible. Stealth rules.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Cardiovorax posted:

I had a guy lose both his legs during my main game, once I got him into scout legs nothing could catch him and that ended up being even safer than stealth.
250+ run speed even while carrying a guy, he has to carry his trading garru cause it's too slow to keep up. I just point him to a town across the map then check in later and he's always there without a scratch.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, for single characters, speed is effectively as good as stealth and often really a lot better because it means less waiting.

On the other hand, once you get to high enough stealth, you start running at your standard maximum movement speed. Running fast is good, running fast and being invisible is better. It's also kind of hard to equip a whole squad with scout legs, but teaching them all to be sneaky little narutos is fairly easy and doesn't cost a dime.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The only annoying thing with stealth is that you really have to deck out your whole crew in light armour. Even one or two heavies effectively cuts your sneaking skill to nil with all the debuffs.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Personally, I just undress them for distance running. Turns out being naked makes you less noticeable, who knew?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Personally, I just undress them for distance running. Turns out being naked makes you less noticeable, who knew?

"is that... no, i definitely didn't just see that"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Look at the dongle on that robot! Now that's what I call a male connector.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Look at the dongle on that robot! Now that's what I call a male connector.

Did you just assume my port openings?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It's your own fault for not using protection. Don't blame me if you're gonna expose your sockets in public. :colbert:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Speed in general is also stupidly good in this game because you don't actually get hit unless you are physically in the path of enemy swings. So for a lot of enemies and animals, you can literally just keep ducking out of attack range.

Dexterity is supposed to make your dodge animation faster, but even getting up on 50 Dexterity I haven't really noticed it being that much faster. Which is a shame, because the dodge animation is annoying with how your guy does this exaggerated matrix dodge. Would have been better if it functioned similar to Martial Arts, where higher levels give you more opportunities to do faster types of dodging. So like this:

0-10 Cower away from enemies, causing you to turn around and badly interrupting your own attacks.
11-30 Do that wonky matrix dodge which takes forever and causes you to move around a lot.
31-50 Dodging is tighter and quicker, much like a boxer dodging jabs
51-70 Even tighter dodges with added forearm parries and 'catch the sword by clapping it with your hands' which starts to actually disrupt enemy attacks to leave openings for you.
71-100 Pai Mei Kung fu master dodging where your character barely twitches his head or leading leg with almost no disruption to your own attacks and deflects sword strikes with your pinky.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

tweet the dev with your ideas

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Theres a few mods that do the same thing: speed up the dodge by 1.5 and remove the incredibly long dodge animation.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
High dodge skill + high melee skill should allow dodges that are also attack animations

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So I've kidnapped a Noble Hunter that took a potshot at me and am keeping them prisoner in my Black Scratch house. Will invaders come to the city or only if you have your own outpost?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

You gotta build an outpost to get raids, unless there's a mod to change that.

Black Scratch seems like another good place for low level characters, if you can make it there. You can just stand in the gate and help the guards beat up an endless stream of reavers and grass pirates, who carry fairly decent gear to loot as far as bandits go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

With the downside that Reavers are slavers and will capture and enslave you if they manage to knock you out.

Still less lethal than fogmen or cannibals, but on the other hand, Reavers are also a whole drat lot tougher.