Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
12 is twice the game 6 is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

DrNutt posted:

Just got to the cutscene where you get on the Strahl for the first time in FF12 and drat that's a good rear end music track. The game itself may bear little resemblance to FF6 other than espers and the Empire, but drat it it doesn't give me a warm remembrance of getting on the Highwind with Setzer the first time. Actually come to think of it there was a lot of stuff in FF12 that tickler my nostalgia feelers wrt to FF6 but I was never sure if that was intentional or just a byproduct of it being the 12th numbered entry in a long running series.

I mean it also touches that same kinda-industrialized fantasy setting that VI contained as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mega64 posted:

12 is twice the game 6 is.

Literally true.

HD DAD posted:

I mean it also touches that same kinda-industrialized fantasy setting that VI contained as well.

Yeah, I thought of that too, sort of similar steampunk aesthetics with magicite/mist. If nothing else I feel like they're kindred spirits and that goes a long way in making them my two favorite final fantasies.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i too remember that 90% of ff6 took place in the figaro desert

not figaro castle just the desert

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I'll be real, no city stands out to me except buttz hometown and wall market.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The White Dragon posted:

i too remember that 90% of ff6 took place in the figaro desert

not figaro castle just the desert

Ah yes, geography, the only meaningful point of comparison between two different things.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

DrNutt posted:

Ah yes, geography, the only meaningful point of comparison between two different things.

geography is about the only thing you ever interact with in ff12 so yes it's about the only meaningful point i can think of

ok. that's unfair. it's that and trading wood block chops

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

The White Dragon posted:

geography is about the only thing you ever interact with in ff12 so yes it's about the only meaningful point i can think of

ok. that's unfair. it's that and trading wood block chops

Excuse me sir but I think if you look more closely you will see that there are approximately 700 meaningless flavor NPCs to interact with in Rabanastre alone. Check and mate.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
My favorite town is Dorter Trade City because I suspect if you were somehow able to arrange every town in the Final Fantasy series by amount of player tears generated it would be at the top.

Or maybe Academia 400 AF.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

The gently caress is going on

The best Final Fantasy town is Junon Harbor because it's a gun y'all lost your got-drat brains or some poo poo

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The best part is that that unmovable, gigantic, easily avoidable cannon actually gets to shoot something big and dumb enough to stand in its way.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Whalley posted:

The best Final Fantasy town is Junon Harbor because it's a gun y'all lost your got-drat brains or some poo poo

Town is a giant gun, has the best minigames, checks out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Whalley posted:

It’s a gun in a Final Fantasy game so it only does like 300 damage.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Has there never been an underwater town in a FF game? I seem to remember FF1 having some mermaids, but I thought they were all turned into bubbles or something and didn't really have a town.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Schwartzcough posted:

Has there never been an underwater town in a FF game? I seem to remember FF1 having some mermaids, but I thought they were all turned into bubbles or something and didn't really have a town.

In FFXIV there are 2! They're pretty neato.

And a dungeon!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

They were on the top floor of the sea shrine.

Anyways, the best FF town is Costa Del Sol.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

ItBreathes posted:

They were on the top floor of the sea shrine.

Anyways, the best FF town is Costa Del Sol.

That's a good one. The post-midgar stretch of 7 is a great cool down after how dark Midgar gets towards the end.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Remember how you meet Hojo just chillin' at the beach and instead of just immediately murdering him like you should you just let him laugh at you?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
It's hard for me to pick but I'm going to go with Mysidia since I love the music and it's one of the most memorable story bits from FF4 for me in that span of the game.

Madmarker posted:

XIII-Uh, that one lake city in cocoon you see in a flashback where like Snow and Serah ride around in fireworks, that place seemed nice

That's Bodhum, you go there for real in 13-2

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Ventana posted:

It's hard for me to pick but I'm going to go with Mysidia since I love the music and it's one of the most memorable story bits from FF4 for me in that span of the game.

That's Bodhum, you go there for real in 13-2

The town in XIII-2 isn't Bodhum; it's New Bodhum, a settlement started by survivors from Cocoon after the latter was crystallized at the end of XIII. Presumably they named it that because of how similar the environment was.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
It seems like every FF has one, and I finally found FFX's boss that kicks your rear end out of nowhere. (I'm at the top of Mt Gagazet). Ugh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

werdnam posted:

It seems like every FF has one, and I finally found FFX's boss that kicks your rear end out of nowhere. (I'm at the top of Mt Gagazet). Ugh.

see if you can customize any of the statusproof equipment, you might find that you have more resources than you think

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
what's the best ff7 port anyway

there's like ten of them at this point and all i know about any of them is that the initial pc port had terrible squiggly MIDI soundtracks because square lost the original files

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

there's like ten of them at this point and all i know about any of them is that the initial pc port had terrible squiggly MIDI soundtracks because square lost the original files

PS4

Hoffadoff
Sep 27, 2008

I Wanna Rock Your Body
(till the break of dawn)

Oxxidation posted:

The ps4 port is great. 3x speed and just being able to turn off random encounters are spectacular. The game isn't hard but has an invincibility cheat too if you want that. I think they cleaned up some of the bad english (these guys are sick) and things but besides that it's pretty much the ps1 version with built in cheats.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

PC for mods. FFVII's modding community is great and active.

The PSX version has some cool little hacks for it but, well, that's not a port. It's the original.

I also maintain the original script was in places better than the amended one. I brought it up before but Rufus' line "I guess this means we won't become friends" is way better than the PC script changing it to "I guess this means we won't be allies." It was something like that anyway. He said allies instead of friends and it just comes off as less flippant and mocking. Also some smart Japanese reader told me the friends line was probably more on the money anyway so good job "fixing" that whoever.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 18, 2019

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

All versions past the PSX one are derived from that original PC port, though they updated the music ages ago. PS4/Switch has speedup / I think you can turn encounters off, PC has mods, notably ML up-rezed backgrounds and large scale hacks. Most of the ones I've seen look like crap, but I'll admit I haven't done much looking and am open to FFVII mod suggestions.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I just want the Dragon Quest VII/VIII 3DS treatment for FF7. A remake that has the same sensibilities and content of the original pretty much, with usability improvements, new scripts, and a modest art style that updates the original without having to be an enormous AAA production with totally new gameplay. It's frustrating that a project like that seems impossible because the original was such a successful property.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Randallteal posted:

I just want the Dragon Quest VII/VIII 3DS treatment for FF7. A remake that has the same sensibilities and content of the original pretty much, with usability improvements, new scripts, and a modest art style that updates the original without having to be an enormous AAA production with totally new gameplay. It's frustrating that a project like that seems impossible because the original was such a successful property.
Yeah in general they don't seem to be interested in doing things that would be like AA-quality (or whatever) but which would also probably make a fat profit? Like imagine a cleaned-up FF6 or Chrono Trigger with, I don't know, PS2-era graphic quality.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Nessus posted:

Like imagine a cleaned-up FF6 or Chrono Trigger with, I don't know, PS2-era graphic quality.

this would look super ugly unless they went full wild arms 3 style cel shading. but if they did these remakes would be instant classics

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Hoffadoff posted:

The ps4 port is great. 3x speed and just being able to turn off random encounters are spectacular. The game isn't hard but has an invincibility cheat too if you want that. I think they cleaned up some of the bad english (these guys are sick) and things but besides that it's pretty much the ps1 version with built in cheats.

The Switch and Xbox ports also have the 3x speed and no random encounters toggles.

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

Nessus posted:

Yeah in general they don't seem to be interested in doing things that would be like AA-quality (or whatever) but which would also probably make a fat profit? Like imagine a cleaned-up FF6 or Chrono Trigger with, I don't know, PS2-era graphic quality.

Didn’t they do this with secret of mana and didn’t it suck?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

OhFunny posted:

The Switch and Xbox ports also have the 3x speed and no random encounters toggles.

There’s also a toggle for full health and limit gauge. Just remembered this, so now I can cheat the Battle Square.

Costa Del Sol is a nice town, but doesn’t have a ton going on besides sun bathing Hojo, and Red XIII playing soccer.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Best town in FFXIII is Nautilus.

Oerba isnt a town since its got monsters in it, even if it has the only sidequest.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

Best town in FFXIII is Nautilus.

Oerba isnt a town since its got monsters in it, even if it has the only sidequest.

Aw, Zozo isn't a town then? It's the only town I remember from FFVI though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Aw, Zozo isn't a town then? It's the only town I remember from FFVI though.

In my opinion even if it uses a town tileset as long as it follows dungeon rules its not a town. Others can disagree, Im no arbiter of game terminology

Id call Zozo a dungeon.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

werdnam posted:

That is absolutely a killer of a fight, and the cutscene before it doesn't help, but you've actually got a shockingly larger number of options than you think. The main two tricks are a one-two punch with Lance of Atrophy into Full-Life and Dispel into Cross Cleave/Total Annihilation. The first one you can customize Zombieward for using storebought Holy Waters or set up Reflect to bounce the Full-Life cast. The second is best handled by having a separate tank team, preferably set up with Protect/Shell (respectively) and Haste, to switch in after the Dispel and then after the Total Annihilation.

Another option is to fill up everyone's Overdrives as well as all of your Aeon overdrives. Flux does only have 70000 HP and Energy Ray/Hellfire/Thor's Hammer/Diamond Dust/Megaflare will probably be good for 50000 or so depending on Yuna's Magic.

Finally, there's the grindy cheese methods. Backtrack to the Calm Lands and go hi the Monster Arena if you haven't. Capture every monster in the Calm Lands so you can get acknowledgement for capturing from other areas. From there, go capture everything in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. Doing that unlocks Don Tonberry. Steal from him: his common steal is the Candle of Life which can be used to customize Zombieproof, which will help immensely with Lance of Atrophy.

Alternatively, you can go take a Chocobo over to Remiem Temple. Fighting Shiva there repeatedly will give you Star Curtains, which you can use to customize SOS Reflect or Auto-Reflect onto some armor.

Finally, the ultimate cheese method is, fair warning, the "I'm done with FFX and want the option to Vanish-Doom all the bosses". Do the Chocobo Race at Remiem Temple and open three chests without hitting a single one of the poles and win the race. Doing this will get you 30 Wings to Discovery. Use Rikku's Overdrive to Mix two of them together to unleash Trio of 9999, which confers a status upon your battle party causing all of their actions to do 9999 points of damage/healing. From there, it's a simple matter to use Overdrives, Use items like Fire Gems, or even regular attacks to take apart anything in the remaining story.

Absolutely none of this forgives throwing you into that fight with a whole bunch of possibilities for you to start losing and never stop with no warning or signposting, and with a five minute cutscene before it. I love FFX but the Flux fight is definitely one of its low points.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I remember using some item that doubles your HP for the fight? Is that a thing?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Trasson posted:

That is absolutely a killer of a fight, and the cutscene before it doesn't help, but you've actually got a shockingly larger number of options than you think. The main two tricks are a one-two punch with Lance of Atrophy into Full-Life and Dispel into Cross Cleave/Total Annihilation. The first one you can customize Zombieward for using storebought Holy Waters or set up Reflect to bounce the Full-Life cast. The second is best handled by having a separate tank team, preferably set up with Protect/Shell (respectively) and Haste, to switch in after the Dispel and then after the Total Annihilation.

Another option is to fill up everyone's Overdrives as well as all of your Aeon overdrives. Flux does only have 70000 HP and Energy Ray/Hellfire/Thor's Hammer/Diamond Dust/Megaflare will probably be good for 50000 or so depending on Yuna's Magic.

Finally, there's the grindy cheese methods. Backtrack to the Calm Lands and go hi the Monster Arena if you haven't. Capture every monster in the Calm Lands so you can get acknowledgement for capturing from other areas. From there, go capture everything in the Cavern of the Stolen Fayth. Doing that unlocks Don Tonberry. Steal from him: his common steal is the Candle of Life which can be used to customize Zombieproof, which will help immensely with Lance of Atrophy.

Alternatively, you can go take a Chocobo over to Remiem Temple. Fighting Shiva there repeatedly will give you Star Curtains, which you can use to customize SOS Reflect or Auto-Reflect onto some armor.

Finally, the ultimate cheese method is, fair warning, the "I'm done with FFX and want the option to Vanish-Doom all the bosses". Do the Chocobo Race at Remiem Temple and open three chests without hitting a single one of the poles and win the race. Doing this will get you 30 Wings to Discovery. Use Rikku's Overdrive to Mix two of them together to unleash Trio of 9999, which confers a status upon your battle party causing all of their actions to do 9999 points of damage/healing. From there, it's a simple matter to use Overdrives, Use items like Fire Gems, or even regular attacks to take apart anything in the remaining story.

Absolutely none of this forgives throwing you into that fight with a whole bunch of possibilities for you to start losing and never stop with no warning or signposting, and with a five minute cutscene before it. I love FFX but the Flux fight is definitely one of its low points.

I searched this post high and low for "just use poison oh my god" and found nothing

because like holy poo poo just use poison oh my god

It's almost hilarious how much damage it does, it's like getting a fourth character for the fight who every now and again just gets to go twice. Once you get him set up, you can kinda just stall for time for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also everytime you kill his lower half it drains a static amount of HP from his upper half to regenerate itself, although to decreasing returns.

This means if you use something like bahamut on the fight and deal like 11k damage with its overdrive itll do 11k to the upper half, kill the bottom half, the bottom half will drain the top half 9k hp to ressurect itself. Save this for late in the fight and suddenly you bypass basically all of his jerk second phase.

Also if you didnt do the monster arena sidequest and get the 99 farplane winds for doing it just go do that right now because the puzzle boss after mt. Gagazet is not worth fighting fair.