Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
This is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I'm gonna play World in Flames and cackle with delight at how good it is in comparison

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

I'm gonna play World in Flames and cackle with delight at how good it is in comparison

:drat:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo just put it on Steam you idiots

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

i'm not giving these people money

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I never thought that I, the guy who hates Battlefront the most here, would be commending them for making a functioning store and product but here we are.

The absolute 180 this thread has done from being ready to fellate the RTW2 dev to wanting to tar and feather them has been a great source of joy for me. I love you guys.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Thanks everybody who bought RTW2, for showing the rest of us what a clusterfuck it is

I think I'll just play one of the hundreds of games that I have that aren't a complete shitshow, until the RTW devs get their heads pulled halfway out of their asses

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
We'll see how things go. I'm still excited about more RTW, and may put up with the insane activation system to play it. But the demo is disgraceful, with many features not obviously not working correctly in just the couple 5-year playthroughs I gave it and it sounds like the "1.0" release isn't much better. Its a bad look after repeated delays. It's sad, because the core of the game has the potential for pretty widespread appeal with just a bit of modern polish and business sense.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gewehr 43 posted:

This is amazing.

I just find it depressing. How do they gently caress up this bad.

Hopefully they sort their poo poo soon, cause I guess I'm holding off buying it until the game is in a less buggy state (And hopefully their trainwreck of a storefront too).

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Their forum should separate into the disappointed and the true believer camps in a few weeks, a la WiF’s Stockholm syndrome. Think I’ll wait for a few bug fixes.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

definitely wait.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I started as Germany in 1900, I made Russia communist by dueling all their BCs to death and I just started rebuilding all my pre-dreadnoughts into CVLs in 1918. I haven't had any issues with the game except for weird initial builds and AI having AA guns on their ships before they should.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Am I understanding this correctly: the DRM utilizes the your default windows email (that you may have never used) as part of the unique key generation?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Obfuscation posted:

I just started rebuilding all my pre-dreadnoughts into CVLs in 1918

Is that cost effective or faster vs new construction? If anything I'd think it'd be easier to convert merchants Langley style, but I dunno if something like "use a civilian hull" is even an option.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Am I understanding this correctly: the DRM utilizes the your default windows email (that you may have never used) as part of the unique key generation?

No, when you launch the game it displays 2 codes that you need to give to the developers. Threre's a button that has an embedded mailto: link in it on that screen and since mailto: in windows calls your default email app for most people it does nothing. You can technically setup chrome to handle mailto: links but lmao at 80 year old grog players understanding how email works. If your PC doesn't know how to handle mailto links, which it will not if you don't use outlook and haven't proactively setup your browser to handle them you need to manually copy and paste your 2 codes into an email and send that to the devs. It's a shockingly bad system.

In other news this is what the game suggests I build as an 1899 light cruiser, while I would love to build a 26 knot light cruiser with no armor and 2 above water dualt-tube torpedo swivel mounts I somehow think I will need to edit this.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is that cost effective vs new construction? If anything I'd think it'd be easier to convert merchants Langley style, but I dunno if something like "use a civilian hull" is even an option.

With the early tech, you can only do conversions. First thing you can do is float plane-capable ships, then CVL conversions, then new CVLs, CV conversions and finally full new CVs.

For future games I'll certainly do the most gamey thing possible and build some super cheap and lovely early cruisers solely for later conversion purposes.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I don't think so. The "request codes" button on the game launcher attempts to open your default email program for you so that you may then email NWS asking for your code. The keys are still generated by NWS and emailed back to you.

EFB

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I ended up not buying RTW2, everything is too dumb.

Does the store even tell you that you are buying an early access version?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Darkrenown posted:

I ended up not buying RTW2, everything is too dumb.

Does the store even tell you that you are buying an early access version?

uPen posted:

EARLY ACCESS V1.0 RELEASE

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I'm sure that and the bit about the refund wasn't on the store page yesterday, but it is now, so good.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'm torn between wanting to give the dev a break because this is more or less one dude doing all of the work, and wanting to clap him over the head for making it so damned difficult to actually play his game. I think the former shakes out to me being more understanding of the early bugs due to lack of playtesting and the latter meaning I didn't buy this day one.

I probably will still buy it because I need to create my own shipwright firm for Grey's LP, though.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

It's about what I've expected so far, moments of awesome interspersed with budget wrangling.

Still no key, the whole default email client thing is stupid. But once I'm done with this poo poo I'll never have to deal with these idiots this poo poo again.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Yooper posted:

It's about what I've expected so far, moments of awesome interspersed with budget wrangling.

Still no key, the whole default email client thing is stupid. But once I'm done with this poo poo I'll never have to deal with these idiots this poo poo again.

You'll have to deal with it anytime you change hardware to the degree your machine ID changes, normally meaning whenever you change your PC.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

uPen posted:

You'll have to deal with it anytime you change hardware to the degree your machine ID changes, normally meaning whenever you change your PC.

No, you can transfer the key yourself

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm torn between wanting to give the dev a break because this is more or less one dude doing all of the work, and wanting to clap him over the head for making it so damned difficult to actually play his game. I think the former shakes out to me being more understanding of the early bugs due to lack of playtesting and the latter meaning I didn't buy this day one.

I probably will still buy it because I need to create my own shipwright firm for Grey's LP, though.

I'm right there with you. As long as it's just one guy coding and another running the website/business, I'm fine with lowering my standards. Doesn't mean I won't get annoyed and make fun of them though.

I'll probably get the game when I get back from vacation in a week and a half. Maybe there will be a patch out by then, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I would point out that while it's fine to lower your standards on stuff like how much dev time it should take or how fancy the graphics will be because it's a single guy, giving them a pass on very basic things like "the literal point you start the game has multiple obvious bugs that nobody caught" and "your store doesn't work and your authentication/DRM system are manual stone age processes that also don't work for a good number of people", you shouldn't be giving them a pass. That's not a manpower issue. That's them being belligerently stupid.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Zaodai posted:

I would point out that while it's fine to lower your standards on stuff like how much dev time it should take or how fancy the graphics will be because it's a single guy, giving them a pass on very basic things like "the literal point you start the game has multiple obvious bugs that nobody caught" and "your store doesn't work and your authentication/DRM system are manual stone age processes that also don't work for a good number of people", you shouldn't be giving them a pass. That's not a manpower issue. That's them being belligerently stupid.

Oh, yeah. I think they're being belligerently stupid about how they're selling the game, and my understanding is that there's the website dude and the guy who made the game who's apparently off Waterloo-ing. And the lack of testing for start of game stuff is frustrating, but again something that I'd expect from what I know about RTW1 that will get fixed.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Foo Diddley posted:

Thanks everybody who bought RTW2, for showing the rest of us what a clusterfuck it is

I think I'll just play one of the hundreds of games that I have that aren't a complete shitshow, until the RTW devs get their heads pulled halfway out of their asses

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I just find it depressing. How do they gently caress up this bad.

Hopefully they sort their poo poo soon, cause I guess I'm holding off buying it until the game is in a less buggy state (And hopefully their trainwreck of a storefront too).

Woodchip posted:

Their forum should separate into the disappointed and the true believer camps in a few weeks, a la WiF’s Stockholm syndrome. Think I’ll wait for a few bug fixes.

habeasdorkus posted:

:allears:

I'm not going to let the dev poo poo in my mouth but I'll probably still eat the toilet paper he wipes with when things calm down a little.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

An apt description. I still want the drat game though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
:shepface:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
The Roman Empire never collapsed I see.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Do watch out for the prestige hits from not having enough cruisers though.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I am extremely displeased to announce that RTW 2 loving rules and I love playing it. Sorry to anyone this disappoints.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I can't my carriers to do gently caress all. They put up CAP, units sweep based on the area I lay out, but the torpedo bombers will not engage. I have nearly 100 torpedo bombers, a line of enemy ships inside of the sweep area, and they just will not launch to attack. Am I missing something here?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
I just had a fleet battle against France. Once French BB ate a torpedo from my air strike on the way in, then engaged in two different gun battles against my battle line, disengaged, was hit by another torpedo on the way home and still survived. Goddammit.

I did get my first airstrike kills by hitting at other already damaged targets. At least with the early 20's tech and my tiny carriers, it's hard to put enough torpedoes into capital ships to sink them from air alone.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008

Yooper posted:

I can't my carriers to do gently caress all. They put up CAP, units sweep based on the area I lay out, but the torpedo bombers will not engage. I have nearly 100 torpedo bombers, a line of enemy ships inside of the sweep area, and they just will not launch to attack. Am I missing something here?

You need to order air strikes manually, there's a button for it on the top bar.

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

That username/post topic combination!

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Obfuscation posted:

I have been, I'm not sure they're launching? Now I just right-clicked my torpedo bombers and they all disappeared from the CV.

gazza
Oct 20, 2013
The combination of the RTW2 devs not doing even the most rudimentary testing to discover basic game-breaking bugs plus the ridiculous storefront/DRM issues, along with the desperation of grogs Stockholming themselves into enjoying the experience, is absolutely perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

The AI is building pre-badnoughts send help.