Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I played in a Twilight 2000 game with some people who were pretty grognardy at Origins, one year. The entire situation did not really seem like something I'd do regularly but the only off note was someone remarking when the GM was summarizing the East German opposition, "please, they're progressives now."

Their premade characters were mostly default-male but they said "you can just call Ronald Ronda or whatever if you want" to the woman in my cluster. They also let me play the Lieutenant because I asked "what role lets me cause the most problems."

I was in another game where we were Red Army guys attacking some castle, actually, several years later.

In short Twilight 2000 feels grog but not fash. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nessus posted:

the only off note was someone remarking when the GM was summarizing the East German opposition, "please, they're progressives now."

Wait wait what the gently caress?

I can't even parse this. What the hell take on German politics did this person have?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Known progressive place the DDR and East Germany still to this day????? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat????????

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Nessus posted:

I played in a Twilight 2000 game with some people who were pretty grognardy at Origins, one year. The entire situation did not really seem like something I'd do regularly but the only off note was someone remarking when the GM was summarizing the East German opposition, "please, they're progressives now."

Their premade characters were mostly default-male but they said "you can just call Ronald Ronda or whatever if you want" to the woman in my cluster. They also let me play the Lieutenant because I asked "what role lets me cause the most problems."

I was in another game where we were Red Army guys attacking some castle, actually, several years later.

In short Twilight 2000 feels grog but not fash. Thanks for listening to my TED talk.

(The people you were playing with were fash Nessus)

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait wait what the gently caress?

I can't even parse this. What the hell take on German politics did this person have?

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Known progressive place the DDR and East Germany still to this day????? Whaaaaaaaaaaaat????????

They’re saying that “progressives” are evil commies trying to disguise themselves in the modern day.

They’re probably fash throwing around those Cultural Marxism conspiracy theories. Grohhood is not incompatible with being fascist. See: the Alt-Right.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

jakodee posted:

They’re saying that “progressives” are evil commies trying to disguise themselves in the modern day.

They’re probably fash throwing around those Cultural Marxism conspiracy theories. Grohhood is not incompatible with being fascist. See: the Alt-Right.

These people have literally never met an East German over the age of like 25. Just wow.

I mean there are obviously progressive East Germans, I'm not being lovely, but that as a generalization is about as accurate as just casually saying that Koreans lay eggs. 50 years of Soviet rule Did Some Things to the area.

The East is actually one of the least progressive areas in Germany, because of a lovely economy and other leftovers from being a not-so-subtle Cold War battleground. My home region, Bavaria, which is basically German Texas, is pretty progressive by comparison*.

*Berlin is a weird out-lier full of leather sex clubs and poo poo, but it's its own weird poo poo and like a real historian should talk about that. All I know about Berlin from first hand experience is the airport is the worst.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Xiahou Dun posted:

These people have literally never met an East German over the age of like 25. Just wow.

I mean there are obviously progressive East Germans, I'm not being lovely, but that as a generalization is about as accurate as just casually saying that Koreans lay eggs. 50 years of Soviet rule Did Some Things to the area.

The East is actually one of the least progressive areas in Germany, because of a lovely economy and other leftovers from being a not-so-subtle Cold War battleground. My home region, Bavaria, which is basically German Texas, is pretty progressive by comparison*.

*Berlin is a weird out-lier full of leather sex clubs and poo poo, but it's its own weird poo poo and like a real historian should talk about that. All I know about Berlin from first hand experience is the airport is the worst.

I don’t think they are talking about East Germans. I think they are saying “The Commies”, in their eyes a single united group, are now calling themselves “Progressives”.

They also probably don’t know poo poo about Eastern Germany.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PinheadSlim posted:

I actually tried to start a Twilight game on the forums years ago and I ended up flaking because of some horrible real life stuff. I'm in a much more stable place now so heck maybe I will.

There's another module where you fight a different branch of New America that has an armed blimp. "Airlords of the Ozarks"

Was that the one I was in as the World's Dumbest Hick Infantryman? That was shaping up to be fun, sorry to hear that life was fuckin' with you.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Was that the one I was in as the World's Dumbest Hick Infantryman? That was shaping up to be fun, sorry to hear that life was fuckin' with you.

Yeah that was it, I'm in a muuuch better place now so don't worry about me. I've been reading Urban Guerilla all day and should post the recruitment thread tomorrow if you're still interested.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

jakodee posted:

I don’t think they are talking about East Germans. I think they are saying “The Commies”, in their eyes a single united group, are now calling themselves “Progressives”.

They also probably don’t know poo poo about Eastern Germany.
Yes the joke was that the Communists were our foes in that game. The location was in Germany somewhere.

So was the Red Army scenario. In fact in both cases our main opfor were Germans. :thonk:

Anyway I had my fill of Twilight 2000 from that, the game rules were not Wehraboo poo poo as far as I could tell. The players are a different story in Ohio perhaps.

For additional clarity the GM was not giving a summary of East German political developments, it was along the line of "You have to move the convoy through this area. There are DDR forces around there. There probably aren't tanks, but they recently got an ammo resupply."

Nessus fucked around with this message at 10:05 on May 17, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nessus posted:

The location was in Germany somewhere.

The game setting had a really odd scenario for how things went down in Germany in the 90's. Remember, the game was written well before the collapse of the USSR.

In the game:

- The USSR and China go to war in 1995. It goes badly. The USSR starts sending other Warsaw Pact forces into the fight.

- East Germany quickly gets tired of sending kids to die in China and opens secret talks with West Germany about reunification.

- West Germany agrees and sends troops into East Germany.

- The USSR says, "no, gently caress YOU" and attacks back, kicking off WWIII.

It's really odd now. Then again, if you'd gone back in time and told young me reading that how things would go down in reality I would have laughed.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

PinheadSlim posted:

Yeah that was it, I'm in a muuuch better place now so don't worry about me. I've been reading Urban Guerilla all day and should post the recruitment thread tomorrow if you're still interested.

oh hells yes wanna go punch Nazis

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Surprising nobody, the game industry is making GBS threads themselves over these dipshit tarrifs from our senile dipshit baby of a president.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/5/17/18628486/trump-trade-tariff-china-tabletop-games-rpgs-cards-dice

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

dwarf74 posted:

Surprising nobody, the game industry is making GBS threads themselves over these dipshit tarrifs from our senile dipshit baby of a president.

https://www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2019/5/17/18628486/trump-trade-tariff-china-tabletop-games-rpgs-cards-dice

*brief flicker of hope that RPG trump fans will realize his dumb policies hurt them in a tangible way too*

A slow and painful death to the person who posts some Chud going "HELL, I'D PAY A HUNNERD BUX FOR DICE IF IT GITS ME THAT WHALL"

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
weird that this is the way trump wants to work with the paris accords

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
It's like clockwork. "Trump's tarrifs have destroyed my soybean farm and sent my family into poverty, but I still love him!"

Except replace soybeans with, like, dice and meeples.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

dwarf74 posted:

It's like clockwork. "Trump's tarrifs have destroyed my soybean farm and sent my family into poverty, but I still love him!"

Except replace soybeans with, like, dice and meeples.
Hasn't Trump actually boosted subsidies and the like for soy farmers? It stood out to me because of how many Trump Chuds buy into the whole "soyboy" thing.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

*brief flicker of hope that RPG trump fans will realize his dumb policies hurt them in a tangible way too*

A slow and painful death to the person who posts some Chud going "HELL, I'D PAY A HUNNERD BUX FOR DICE IF IT GITS ME THAT WHALL"

I just saw this exact sentiment expressed unironically on BoardGameGeek.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Warthur posted:

Hasn't Trump actually boosted subsidies and the like for soy farmers? It stood out to me because of how many Trump Chuds buy into the whole "soyboy" thing.

This is the short-term solution that's been floated.

Almost all of said subsidies will be funneled into giant agribusiness while small farmers struggle to survive, like all agricultural subsidies.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Cessna posted:

The game setting had a really odd scenario for how things went down in Germany in the 90's. Remember, the game was written well before the collapse of the USSR.

In the game:

- The USSR and China go to war in 1995. It goes badly. The USSR starts sending other Warsaw Pact forces into the fight.

- East Germany quickly gets tired of sending kids to die in China and opens secret talks with West Germany about reunification.

- West Germany agrees and sends troops into East Germany.

- The USSR says, "no, gently caress YOU" and attacks back, kicking off WWIII.

It's really odd now. Then again, if you'd gone back in time and told young me reading that how things would go down in reality I would have laughed.
Well that explains why we just kept waxing Jerries. It stood out to me because it wasn't like they were neo-Nazis or something, they were just... German soldier guys.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Cessna posted:

What was interesting was how it showed, without ever explicitly stating it, what a total drain on resources war is.

Meltwater, which I believe is by a goon, is a game that makes this absolutely explicit. I recommend it.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

wizzardstaff posted:

I just saw this exact sentiment expressed unironically on BoardGameGeek.

Show me

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Having trouble finding it, it may have been mod-removed or I may have conflated it with something else. But I can give you this wisdom nugget from one of the threads:

quote:

Actually he's trying to better our economy. If you think about it one of two things would be optimal outcomes. Either:

A.) Business may bring manufacturing to the US or to another country that doesn't bleed us dry.

or

B.) China will negotiate

The media is spinning all of this out of proportion. The hike is a drop in the bucket comparatively. We are already benefiting. Wheat prices are 20% down and soybeans are down 10%, this is a ripple effect. It will keep happening. I am not a supporter of any politician but I can appreciate the businessman he is doing what businessmen do.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3889786

For everyone interested in killing fascists in Twilight 2000, threads up so let's kick some rear end
:dukedoge:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jonathanmtweet/status/1122632380550766592?s=21
https://twitter.com/jonathanmtweet/status/1124680071539617794?s=21
https://twitter.com/JonathanMTweet/status/1129746427595362304?s=19

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 18, 2019

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Oh, dear.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
That might bear reposting in the fash thread. They could use a distraction from WH40K talk.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure what point he's trying to make--that criticizing the white supremacy in mainstream American culture is somehow undermining science?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Isn't he one of the 13th Age guys?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Isn't he one of the 13th Age guys?

And 2e/3e D&D, yes. Also Over the Edge, I think.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

occamsnailfile posted:

I'm not sure what point he's trying to make--that criticizing the white supremacy in mainstream American culture is somehow undermining science?

The modern left is full of idiots who don't see the obvious benefits of Jordan Peterson's 'classical liberalism' and race science. Also some dumbfuckery trying to make white supremacy seem normal and therefore good?

E: If it isn't obvious, gently caress that guy and I regret that any money from my purchase of 13th Age went to him.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

So much for my favorite d20 system.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
As much as Tweet sucks at designing games, looking at the rest of his tweets it looks like those are just very badly phrased, rather than fash?

His twitter timeline is full of tweets about the importance of fighting climate change or stuff like this:

https://twitter.com/JonathanMTweet/status/1122179384901681153

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 18, 2019

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
LOL he just deleted the worst of those tweets. Anyone think to screencap it?

e: vvv Thanks, Gradenko. Also, yikes

FMguru fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 18, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FMguru posted:

LOL he just deleted the worst of those tweets. Anyone think to screencap it?

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Lemon-Lime posted:

As much as Tweet sucks at designing games, looking at the rest of his tweets it looks like those are just very badly phrased, rather than fash?

Hopefully that's it, but it's hard not to have major reservations about anyone taking race science seriously nowadays.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Very high on his timeline right now is a retweet of a tweet by noted British internet cryptofascist CountDankula. The tweet itself is just about marijuana legalisation, so pretty inoccuous, but there must be thousands of people making similar points who aren't poorly-disguised nazis.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011
Jonathan Tweet’s personal blog and Twitter have always been full of :biotruths: and it’s not the first time it’s come up here, but his wingnuttery is a lot less amusing these days and especially this “race-based science” poo poo seems to be new horrifying territory.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I’ll never forget that grogs.txt post in which someone explains that D&D’s racial ability modifiers helped them to understand how race science could still be true despite the existence of individually smart people of color.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Parkreiner posted:

Jonathan Tweet’s personal blog and Twitter have always been full of :biotruths: and it’s not the first time it’s come up here, but his wingnuttery is a lot less amusing these days and especially this “race-based science” poo poo seems to be new horrifying territory.

'Race science' and 'liberals need to admit there's real biological differences, in order to be robust, sensible liberals!' are like... the most basic building blocks of an alt-right fascist. The Bell Curve style fascism, which bases itself in :biotruths: and claiming to be socially liberal except we just have to 'face reality,' is insidious. Especially because it can wed individual positions that aren't associated with conservatism (legalized weed, not wanting to stone LGBT people in the street) to deeply reactionary racial or nationalist politics.

It's a way of framing an explicitly hierarchical model of the world as compassionate realism, rather than as maintaining a power structure, and thus can appeal to liberal centrists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

Joe Slowboat posted:

'Race science' and 'liberals need to admit there's real biological differences, in order to be robust, sensible liberals!' are like... the most basic building blocks of an alt-right fascist. The Bell Curve style fascism, which bases itself in :biotruths: and claiming to be socially liberal except we just have to 'face reality,' is insidious. Especially because it can wed individual positions that aren't associated with conservatism (legalized weed, not wanting to stone LGBT people in the street) to deeply reactionary racial or nationalist politics.

It's a way of framing an explicitly hierarchical model of the world as compassionate realism, rather than as maintaining a power structure, and thus can appeal to liberal centrists.

Agreed except I'd modify that to "not wanting to stone LGB people in the street". The claims are always applied to gender as well as to race, and it makes that way of thinking extremely hostile to trans people.

Ferrinus posted:

I'll never forget that grogs.txt post in which someone explains that D&D's racial ability modifiers helped them to understand how race science could still be true despite the existence of individually smart people of color.

This is amazingly on point as a way of exposing the danger of this poo poo, especially when combined with d20-era character optimization, which is undoubtedly what was going through that person's mind. You'd never accept a penalty, or even a lack of a bonus, to a primary ability score for your build, because the only thing that matters for peak performance is the extreme right tail of the distribution. "Bell Curve style fascism" (great phrase) makes exactly the same claim about the real world. And it can sound like a very reasonable, moderate claim until you realize that the implication is that top math departments should only accept white men and so forth.