Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
my crowning dom 4 achievement was winning a game by defeault as xibalba by somehow getting bugged-rear end underwater PD using default sprites that gave me so many units per point that the game tore itself apart when the province was invaded. pd strong :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Ramc posted:

I was involved in a dominions 4 game that was all mod nations and one of the mod nations was a dorf fortress themed nation and I think it specifically was broken in such a way the game broke by the end of the first year and simply could not work anymore.
I am going to assume it was due to the amount of freespawn cats they got.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Turn 55

Ok ok oh god we gotta solve things

Construction 7

ha ha ha yes

I shift the economy into gems.

poo poo I gotta think long and hard about the strategic ramifications of my prop-

haha psyche i don't even hesitate

C'tis pings this throne again I am pretty sure he is BVCing it, trying to disease the defenders to soften it up.

My army takes back some underwater stuff that Tyrant had run through.

I suicide some diseased priests into indies because there is no saving them and they cost money.

Some armistice!

quote:

how are u
oh poo poo i forgot to cancel an attack order
my bad

I send guys to go get it back. At least he apologized.

He sends a single 0 astral saurowraith to get some stuff near my throne fort. Well ok

Speaking of forts, C'tis is sending storming our fort. I am braced for a bad time between the catoblepas, the trolls and the saurowraiths. Here is my set up-

and the lizard wizards have...

"Just" the saurowraiths huh. I guess soul vortex and poison cloud would not have played well with other troops. Well 6 is a lot of these fuckers.

Looking them over its mostly the same sort of tech as before. snake bladders, rat whips, lead shields that sort of thing.

I have living water now however. How many water elementals can they kill???

I cast Shark Attack which is kind of like Howl but underwater.

My astral mages communion up to spam paralyze and soul slay. One of the saurowraiths eats a paralyze. That number is the number of turns they can't act. Soul Vortex will still work while paralyzed however. That said, his defense is reduced to 0 making him easier to hit. Still that 75% hit negation chance with ethereal...

They begin to get mobbed up on. They are regenerating too, though, so it isn't fast.

Shark attack kicks in and, uh, those guys look pretty big.

Howl but howl summons 45 hp size 6 megalodons with a 22 damage bite hell yes. I love that he has the stealth tag. You never see the bus-sized shark coming.

Also small sharks. size 1. So cute. Yet it, too, delights in the taste of blood.

Uh... that is a lot of huge loving sharks.

hahah welcome to the sea!!!! More saurowraiths get paralyzed. I think 5 of the 6 can't move now.

My two mages who are supporting the communion are being killed by it but that's life in the big ocean.

The saurowraith gets a bunch of afflictions between getting hurt, healing, and getting more hurt. Some might heal when he resurrects in a few months but it is still cathartic.

More paralysis. None of these seem to be the load bearing global saurowraiths but none die to soul slay that I can tell so it wouldn't matter much if they were.

Yes!

yES!!

I lost a chunk of line troops but a bunch of saurowraiths just got kicked out of the sea. That's great. Also a bunch of free garbage.

PS: the kelp fortress spawned a real fort underwater instead of the weird kelp forts and even has people on the walls. Who have no ranged weapons. Who just stood there doing nothing like dorks the entire time. Good. Great.

Events!

This could be Baleful Star but honestly it is just business as usual for Pelagia. It's a pretty random province.

An extremely valid fear. This is in the province we just retook from Phlegra.

A BVC under my throne. Almost certainly jsoh. He probably set it up from the lab on the island.

Nazca!

quote:

Ramc
remove BVC :frowning: :frowning: :frowning:

DivineFrog
hes leaving now
shin stepped into my cap circle
he will not survive.

Note to self- get a scout over there what is Shinuyama even doing in this game?

Even with the sauros defeated he still has a pile of trolls and stuff. He could storm with it and who knows. With the right mage support he could totally win so we will brace for round two.

We will need a new champion. For a new age...

Prince Eric's memory chip is brought to the labs...

The overview. Things looking a bit more stable with armistices

The next season attack hits the elements throne.

I don't see where the tyrant went. Dead or inland.

Ulm continues to oppress AI TC

I blast some mind hunts off at the Sauro and also my own province to maybe kill the BVC scout.

We reload and brace as a relief army advances on the fort

Orders overview. Going for Conjuration 8 now to summon some crazy poo poo if I can. Advancing armies toward C'tis. If people pressure him on land we can probably kick him out of the sea. We will see if they actually do though. I can't play the game for them!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Ramc posted:

PS: the kelp fortress spawned a real fort underwater instead of the weird kelp forts and even has people on the walls. Who have no ranged weapons. Who just stood there doing nothing like dorks the entire time. Good. Great.

lol

Ramc
May 4, 2008

If nothing else I guess they help to prevent a HP rout????

?????

i love the sharks though

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm surprised they are not just generic land dwelling archers drowning immediately.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Why didn't he send in everything and cast his own shark attack, he would've killed everything easily if he had.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Washout posted:

Why didn't he send in everything and cast his own shark attack, he would've killed everything easily if he had.

Remember that overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ramc posted:

Howl but howl summons 45 hp size 6 megalodons with a 22 damage bite hell yes. I love that he has the stealth tag. You never see the bus-sized shark coming.

I bet its like the shark from Banjo-Kazooie, which just spawns in when you get into the water. They aren't stealthed, they just haven't loaded in.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm entertained that the Saurowraiths met their match in such an anticlimactic way. Did they even get to do anything other than getting off Soul Vortexes and then spending 50 rounds or however much paralyzed?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm entertained that the Saurowraiths met their match in such an anticlimactic way. Did they even get to do anything other than getting off Soul Vortexes and then spending 50 rounds or however much paralyzed?

That's how it works with SCs and Thugs anymore. They're excellent, terrifying even when you don't have counters. But there's really no way to build a thug that won't be weak to something, and when you can exploit the weakness they fall apart pretty fast.

Note that none of those wraithes are actually dead, though.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

PurpleXVI posted:

Don't forget that they're immortal, and didn't even have very much gear on them - looks like just 8 nature gems for two bladders forged with a hammer.

So they'll be back sooner or later, it's usually 3 turns and then travel time.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

gonadic io posted:

Don't forget that they're immortal, and didn't even have very much gear on them - looks like just 8 nature gems for two bladders forged with a hammer.

So they'll be back sooner or later, it's usually 3 turns and then travel time.

5-6 turns of peace is not nothing. Plus if C'tis becomes the new tag team target his sauros might get busy somewhere else.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I mean by that logic it might actually be beneficial for them to have died, because it takes them less time to respawn than it likely would to actually move them out of the ocean and back to core territories.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the ideal outcome for any war youre not in is to be as costly as possible to the winning side

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Soul Vortex saurowraiths still killed all my line troops passively. My assumption for why C'tis didn't go all-in on that was that he was not expecting that level of resistance. Saurowraiths are pretty insanely deadly as-is and if he sent them in with other troops their soul vortices might have straight murdered all of his own trolls and catoblepas.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
saurowraiths have really good mobility and can walk two water provs a turn, but also they are copied from wraith lords and thus have INSTANT REFORM. they come back the turn after they die unless i lose the province they were born in or they get soul slayed or eaten by the lazer dog. also im dumb and didnt think through this attack very much.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

violent sex idiot posted:

saurowraiths have really good mobility and can walk two water provs a turn, but also they are copied from wraith lords and thus have INSTANT REFORM. they come back the turn after they die unless i lose the province they were born in or they get soul slayed or eaten by the lazer dog. also im dumb and didnt think through this attack very much.

I'm gonna need an explanation here.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

catoblepas Gaze of Death might have similar rules to Soul Slay

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm gonna need an explanation here.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

This only raises further questions

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

Once the Devourer of Souls sat at the foot of the Pantokrator's throne. The Beast would attend the Court of Eternal Judgment and wait for his masters' words as He revealed the names of sinners and the beast would hunt them down and devour their hearts and souls. Now with the Pantokrator gone, the Beast of Judgment is free to roam the world. Once the Devourer bites, the unlucky target's soul is gone. This attack cannot be resisted.

this dog crocodile thing has a laser in his mouth. he has one attack that instantly kills anything (that isnt mindless) that doesnt beat its attack roll.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

That is metal as gently caress :black101:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's just repurposed egyptian mythology. papyruspunk

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

it's just repurposed egyptian mythology. papyruspunk

Yeah, it's the croc from the "weigh your heart against this here feather" story. Which is pretty lame to worship as a god. It's a glorified pet/garbage disposal, isn't it ?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Considerably more practically useful than your average god then.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
One of the pretenders chasis is the previous Pantokrator's pet ape who got hungry after his owner went missing and started munching on some scrolls in the library. He happened to eat the wrong/right scrolls, and is now immortal and intelligent. He reduces research in the province he's in because he can't stop stuffing his face with research papers.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Does he at least gain paths or points if he eats enough research points?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

One of the pretenders chasis is the previous Pantokrator's pet ape who got hungry after his owner went missing and started munching on some scrolls in the library. He happened to eat the wrong/right scrolls, and is now immortal and intelligent. He reduces research in the province he's in because he can't stop stuffing his face with research papers.

Does that work in sieges, too? By which I mean, if you park that ape on top of an enemy fort, will he reduce research for that nation, too?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
My favourite stupid pretender just from browsing the list is the Celestial Carp. Not because it's any good (I mean, I've never used it), but because it's, well...

Celestial Carp posted:

The Celestial Carp once dwelled in a decorative pond in the gardens of the Pantokrator. For eternities he lurked under the surface of those still waters, occasionally surfacing to spy on the ruler of all, learning forbidden names and the secrets of the divine. When he realized the Pantokrator had disappeared he decided to usurp the place of his master using the secrets he had gleaned during his patient wait. Used to feed on the flesh of those that displeased his master he has developed a hunger for the flesh of men, especially the clergy of other would be gods.

T'ien Ch'i (in all ages), Yomi, Shinuyama, and Jomon get it. It has mastered the art of 'having feet', so you can give your carp shoes.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 19, 2019

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The running theme in all this seems to be that the previous Pantokrator was a bit of an arsehole.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Turn 56

So this doesn't look too bad.

I am cultivating a high Earth caster via empowerment with gems. I probably should have been cultivating wizards better but I got tunnel vision on my mid game lunge and now here I am without a fully evolved late game strategy.

It's alive! It's alive!! (its not technically alive and also mindless meaning it sidesteps many bad spells that kill thugs dead like soul slay.)

Mind hunts did not kill the BVC.

A humble shrimp.... risen.... to great heights....

Pushing toward my fort to save it from C'tis' sea trolls.

I missed grabbing the battle report but these guys are hitting a UW province north of the sieged fortress.

I move a few guys to hit the island.

But, um, he has this guy there soooooo

RIP

Nazca takes its province back per peace discussion. Fine.

More C'tis forces heading onto the island. It looks like they are moving off the siege? Well okay!

Check out the 16 encumbrance on this lizard man. Coldblooded units have an extra 10 encumbrance in cold climes. It's wild.

2 sprites die to catoblepas poison gas aura.

ON TO EVENTS

Treasure is nice.

I appreciate this happening while people discuss there there seems like a lot of these events circa me posting turn 11 in the LP thread.

More brigands. More ruins. Something something mandate of heaven

The BVC guy gets patrolled out but, flees.

The overview. C'tis pulled off the siege but shifted everyone north. They threaten the throne still. Noone else seems to be attacking me anymore though, so... progress?

Also I finally get a look at this lake and wow. Gross. This should be mine!

Also also I finally get eyes on C'tis' cap where the god is. A Neter of the Moon. I think jsoh posted his god in thread ages ago.

My god casts cure disease on one of my s2 mages because they are of value and I didn't have much else to do with him. I am a merciful god.

I also ARM THE GOLEM and teleport him closer to the front. I was going to rename him but forgot and will do so NEXT TURN. The sword of swiftness strikes twice a round, the herald spear deals triple damage to the undead, he has that hat to give him S3 so he can cast teleport to get closer to where he needs to be. The black steel plate is just... there for protection. It isn't fancy. The boots of quickness grant him quickness so he acts twice a turn (so he attacks 6 times per round) the storm spool shocks and stuns anyone who strikes him and the burning pearl grants some fire resistance and increased accuracy. Soon he will be rechristened with his new name and be READY.

The orders overview. I am moving dudes around as before, also lunging for that Phelegra nub in the TC zone. Maybe I can even keep the land with the advent of peace.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Loxbourne posted:

The running theme in all this seems to be that the previous Pantokrator was a bit of an arsehole.

Yeah the previous being a huge rear end in a top hat is baked into the backstory of like probably at LEAST 75% of the pretender options.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
peneus became rock hard.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ramc posted:

Yeah the previous being a huge rear end in a top hat is baked into the backstory of like probably at LEAST 75% of the pretender options.
Probably because they burned down half the world and covered the other with an undead plague to become the pancrakor.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Poil posted:

Probably because they burned down half the world and covered the other with an undead plague to become the pancrakor.

Exactly. Have you seen the sort of poo poo you have to do to become Pantokrator?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah I guess if in the previous cycle you were a maggot that attained divine power from eating ambrosia out of the pantokrators waste bin you'd have a chip on your shoulder too

edit: It is hilarious how many pretenders have some variation on "Because they were actually nice and helped people out humans started to worship them, which pissed the pantokrator right the hell off"

The Chad Jihad fucked around with this message at 17:00 on May 19, 2019

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Omnicrom posted:

Exactly. Have you seen the sort of poo poo you have to do to become Pantokrator?

I just have to send a few horrors after my enemies, and then I can fix everything. It'll be fine.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

wiegieman posted:

I just have to send a few horrors after my enemies, and then I can fix everything. It'll be fine.

'But man do I seem to have a lot of enemies these days.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

The Chad Jihad posted:

edit: It is hilarious how many pretenders have some variation on "Because they were actually nice and helped people out humans started to worship them, which pissed the pantokrator right the hell off"

Amusingly, in the Ancient Testament all the messenger angels immediately clarify they're not God when the prophet of the era starts kneeling on general principles upon witnessing the supernatural display.