Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Oldstench posted:

What are those things that BoTW doesn't have?

Item based progression, primarily. Also sprawling puzzle dungeons with unique boss fights but the Divine Beasts were pretty cool too. I'm not on the "BOTW sucked" train but I really hope they bring classic Zelda style items back in the next game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I agree that it is a departure, but I don't feel it keeps the spirit of other Zeldas That's why I say if you change the names it becomes unrecognizable as a Zelda game. It doesn't feel like a Zelda game at all.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
As a Castlevania game, Symphony of the Night is bad, because it doesn't fit the structure of the Castlevanias that let up to it. 7/10 at best

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

What the hell are these stars I'm collecting in Super Mario 64? 3D movement? What the poo poo. Mario uses a linear stage progression with an overworld map maybe, and even then you just get warp whistles. Bad game

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Haha you used warp whistles. Hmm better skip 75% of the game's content, wouldn't want to enjoy it or anything.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

signalnoise posted:

As a Castlevania game, Symphony of the Night is bad, because it doesn't fit the structure of the Castlevanias that let up to it. 7/10 at best

Sure it does, SotN is Castlevania 2 done extremely right.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

is pepsi ok posted:

Sure it does, SotN is Castlevania 2 done extremely right.

Castlevania 2 doesn't fit the structure of Castlevania that led up to it, so it's a bad game. A great other example of this is Legend of Zelda 2, which is just such a huge departure from the style of the series I dunno wtf they were thinking

bad games

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i mean. zelda 2 is a bad game, but not because it's not a zelda game. it's a bad game because it controls like molasses and everything feels like ice physics.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Haha you used warp whistles. Hmm better skip 75% of the game's content, wouldn't want to enjoy it or anything.

Uh buddy, trying to save the princess here, can't spend my time doing "content"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I made the mistake of deciding to buy the first Zelda game before playing what I first got (Wind Waker with Ocarina of Time). Maybe if I'd played it on a NES when I was a kid I would've beat it but uggh.

I guess I should just buckle up and get a guide.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Jerry Cotton posted:

I made the mistake of deciding to buy the first Zelda game before playing what I first got (Wind Waker with Ocarina of Time). Maybe if I'd played it on a NES when I was a kid I would've beat it but uggh.

I guess I should just buckle up and get a guide.

Zelda 1 with a guide is pretty smooth, for the most part.

But around dungeon 6 is starts to ramp up in difficulty. It's never particularly hard, but certain mobs are definitely trickier.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

BotW isn't bad because it's a different formula. It's just bad.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

internet celebrity posted:

Item based progression, primarily. Also sprawling puzzle dungeons with unique boss fights but the Divine Beasts were pretty cool too. I'm not on the "BOTW sucked" train but I really hope they bring classic Zelda style items back in the next game.

While BotW doesn't have item based progression necessarily, it does have the most meaningful and interesting item interactions of any Zelda game easily. The things that you can do with the ability and inventory items are insanely cool and much more rewarding than using a power glove to lift a rock.

I hope we get the BotW style for every Zelda game moving forward. You would have to be out of your mind to want another game with an 8 hour tutorial.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey guys!

If you had to pick, which would be better for a complete novice:
Start with Titan Quest, the original experience
Start with Grim Dawn, as the direct successor to TQ

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

bradzilla posted:

BotW isn't bad because it's a different formula. It's just bad.

That's not fair. It's open world and traversal mechanics are very very good. Unfortunately, that's it. Combat is bad. Dungeons are bad. Cut scenes are bad. I'd have liked to see the original version before it was edited for the switch. I suspect it was mostly the same, but they clearly cut stuff out because the Wii U couldn't be the better version.

I do eagerly look forward to the next Zelda in this engine. I suspect it will be really good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

steinrokkan posted:

Hey guys!

Diablo 2.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Zelda 1 with a guide is pretty smooth, for the most part.

I wish it controlled more precisely. Just feels somehow off. (I've tried the NES Classic Mini and the GBA versions.)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

steinrokkan posted:

Hey guys!

they're extremely similar games. i enjoyed both of them, but years apart. i thought titan quest had way more interesting environments fwiw--you start in ancient greece, you run through egypt, end up in the hanging gardens of babylon and make your way further east to china. grim dawn's setting was cool, as in the history behind the world, but its level design was like. swamp. steppe. mountain. cave. YAWN.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I can't get over how bad Rage 2 is in nearly every aspect except the way the guns feel. The objectives, the driving, the open world, the voice acting, the enemy design, the enemy AI, the loot and progression system, it might be the worst video game that I've played in years, it feels like a weak effort for the 360 era even.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

Hey guys!

I found titan quest a little dull, and grim dawn much less so. They are both solid though.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

I can't get over how bad Rage 2 is in nearly every aspect except the way the guns feel. The objectives, the driving, the open world, the voice acting, the enemy design, the enemy AI, the loot and progression system, it might be the worst video game that I've played in years, it feels like a weak effort for the 360 era even.

I dunno why anyone's surprised by overhyped triple A games being terrible anymore. They all are and until something serious changes they're going to stay that way.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Caesar Saladin posted:

i used to be a big fan of the just cause series but avalanche really hosed that one up lately so i knew not to bother with rage2 even though the trailers looked kind of cool

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I dunno why anyone's surprised by overhyped triple A games being terrible anymore. They all are and until something serious changes they're going to stay that way.

what are you talking about? This is actually an overpriced budget piece of poo poo sequel, not a triple A game. There are lots of triple A games that are really fun, this is actually like a half finished outdated piece of poo poo from the guys who made Just Cause 4. This ain't Doom, which was a good Triple A game.

People in the Games thread are acting like its a flawed gem and its making me think I'm crazy because i haven't played such an awful awkward game in a long time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Very few games are bad but about 100% of so-called indie games are bad.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Caesar Saladin posted:

There are lots of triple A games that are really fun

lmbo

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If you don't like big budget games as a rule, you probably just don't like games :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2d mario controls like complete garbage and anybody who likes that has stockholm syndrome

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

If you don't like big budget games as a rule, you probably just don't like games :shrug:

they're probably just gen X guys who keep playing that weird game from their early 20s over and over

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jerry Cotton posted:

Very few games are bad but about 100% of so-called indie games are bad.

drat Jerry there's unpopular opinions and then there's just being retarded man

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

veni veni veni posted:

Also plenty of other series have tried different things without facing accusations of not being a "real ____game" Look at Resident Evil, Mario etc. I don't know why some Zelda fans are so anal about wanting to just play the same game 100 times over.

Because the series rests 100% on the nostalgia generated surrounding it between the original and windwaker. The gameplay is solid, and the aesthetic is always cohesive, but people come back because they want to recapture the experience that felt so magical to them when they were young.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Rage 2 reminds me so far, more than anything, of that 1 really lovely Red Faction game. I can't remember if Armageddon or Guerrilla was the super-awful one, but that's what it reminds me of.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Little did we know that the audience reaction to Andrew WK playing at E3 or whatever would be the same reaction people who bought the game would have to the game itself

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

spouse posted:

Because the series rests 100% on the nostalgia generated surrounding it between the original and windwaker. The gameplay is solid, and the aesthetic is always cohesive, but people come back because they want to recapture the experience that felt so magical to them when they were young.

If that were true BOTW wouldn’t be extremely popular.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you guys seem to forget that actual children exist and also love zelda in spite of the fact that they didnt play the old zelda games 20 years ago

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

dungeons are cool but anyone who thinks the puzzles in zelda dungeons were better than the optional shrines in BotW has a rotten brain full of foul mushrooms

stopping the game to make you prove that you know how switches work for the thousandth time is not the brain burner some of you seem to remember

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm sad I didn't have Zelda for NES when I was a kid, my dad didn't like videogames but he'd help me figure poo poo out.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Uncharted: LL is the worst game in the series.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Uncharted: LL is the worst game in the series.

The Vita game sucked a lot too and Uncharted 3 is also a miserable mess so its hard for me to agree that LL is the absolute bottom but I could be sold on it.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Every Zelda game made after link to the past has been a poor imitation of the Ideal Zelda Experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Barudak posted:

The Vita game sucked a lot too and Uncharted 3 is also a miserable mess so its hard for me to agree that LL is the absolute bottom but I could be sold on it.

I forgot the Vita game. Hmm...I might need to replay it.

LL definitely has positives. But the other 4 main titles are all so good. LL was originally going to be DLC but then they decided to release it solo. I think it would have been an incredible DLC.