Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Please don't take jobs that on the outset are terrible expecting you will be able to change that. I mean you might if you're lucky, but also you might get an extreme eye rolling and now you're in a bad job with dummies and bad tooling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

had my phone screen with cool place i very much want to work yesterday afternoon and i think it went well, got the details on how we're gonna proceed, just waiting to hear from recruiter person

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"i'm paying you six loving figures and you want to saunter out of here at five on the dot after doing the bare minimum eight hours every day?????? do you know how many people in this country would kill to get paid what you get paid???????????????"

it's not impossible that you'll find a job where you don't answer to psychopaths who run you at redline you purely for the sake of running you at redline, but the odds aren't in your favor.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Had a little back and forth with a local place, but they still came in under what would make me excited to join them. Sucks since it was a great interview experience.

Also to the people waiting on faang, I waited for over a month to hear that I passed from a first technical round at the goog. Don't lose hope, but don't put all your eggs in one basket.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

at least google seems to have improved from "ghost candidate for six months then send them a job offer" which they were doing 10 years ago

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

yeah, senior developers invent other names for the etl stuff they do all day

Senior devs write etl tools to allow end users to shovel their own data, then just tweak it for the rest of time.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
those devs being Microsoft, the tool ssis, and the end users junior devs at other companies

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaggar posted:

those devs being Microsoft, the tool ssis, and the end users junior devs at other companies

salary survey says... shaggar was right?!

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Bloody posted:

i got my last team to sunset our lovely python tools in favor of writing new ones rust and then once that was wildly successful we went back and started rewriting old ones in rust too
congrats on finding that rare job where management's priority isn't growing the business at any cost

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:42 on May 17, 2019

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

management wants to hear what they want to hear, so why bother telling them anything except what they want to hear

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Bloody posted:

management wants to hear what they want to hear, so why bother telling them anything except what they want to hear

but how do you demonstrate measurable success and get promotions, raises, and accolades if you're rewriting tools????

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you create a markov text bot to open tickets in jira, write something about it, then close the task

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

did hear back from amazon, no figgies for me :rip:

also odds on the recruiter telling everyone that "it was a difficult decision"?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Bloody posted:

i got my last team to sunset our lovely python tools in favor of writing new ones rust and then once that was wildly successful we went back and started rewriting old ones in rust too

i've been planning to do this for a little bit, problem is my team is barely on python, people still love bash

i can probably do it for my own crap

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

but how do you demonstrate measurable success and get promotions, raises, and accolades if you're rewriting tools????

put it in terms of working time saved and your boss might give the tiniest poo poo

getting raises out of operations now there's a fools game for sure

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

hobbesmaster posted:

did hear back from amazon, no figgies for me :rip:

Sounds like it was between you and someone else :rip:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if so the recruiter making a point about how the team was doubling in size so there were many positions available was kind of twisting the knife

that would explain them missing their turn around promise

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

if so the recruiter making a point about how the team was doubling in size so there were many positions available was kind of twisting the knife

that would explain them missing their turn around promise

I know this feel, esp since I interviewed with them a while ago. Sorry bud.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

hobbesmaster posted:

oooh I got that too! :unsmith:

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

hobbesmaster posted:

They meant it was a "difficult decision" between a courtesy call and ghosting you

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

They meant it was a "difficult decision" between a courtesy call and ghosting you

at amazon they supposedly get in trouble for ghosting

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

hobbesmaster posted:

I have never not been ghosted from amazon onsites . 3 so far

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

hobbesmaster posted:

at what level? i've certainly been ghosted by recruiters

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

after an on-site they’re supposed to reply within 2 business days most of the time and always within 5 business days

or so the paperwork says

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

So here's a question... How would you value intangibles like opportunities for fitness? I'm looking at two places both are going to be a 40-50 minute commute away. I got a kid and normally leave for work when they leave for school, and get home between 6:30 - 7:30 with a bedtime of 8:00p. So there's no real opportunity to go to a gym except during the lunch break at work. One place is going to come in lower than the other but has an on site fitness center that I could do cardio and light lifting at. If the work is both interesting, the tech is interesting, and the stability is interesting, and the only two differences are total compensation and access to fitness facilities. How would I assign a value to it?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Hughlander posted:

So here's a question... How would you value intangibles like opportunities for fitness? I'm looking at two places both are going to be a 40-50 minute commute away. I got a kid and normally leave for work when they leave for school, and get home between 6:30 - 7:30 with a bedtime of 8:00p. So there's no real opportunity to go to a gym except during the lunch break at work. One place is going to come in lower than the other but has an on site fitness center that I could do cardio and light lifting at. If the work is both interesting, the tech is interesting, and the stability is interesting, and the only two differences are total compensation and access to fitness facilities. How would I assign a value to it?

take the opportunity with higher comp and fix your commuting situation

the problem is that your commute is sucking two hours out of your day and crushing you as a human being, and you are misidentifying this as an issue with fitness opportunities.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

If it was me yeah I'd probably look at moving closer to the high comp place ASAP. But other than that really noone can assign a value to fringe benefits other than yourself. Especially fitness because you're the only one who can check out alterative facilities in the area and see if there's anything you can stop into on the way back home.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Hughlander posted:

assuming you are not a perfectly spherical frictionless computer toucher in a vacuum and you can’t easily relocate

how likely are you to use the facility? do you work out now? is it something that would improve your quality of life? how long are you planning on staying there? are you fit now? if you were contracting, how many billable hours would you pass up to work out?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

how much does a gym near the one without a gym cost? that is the value of the free gym

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody posted:

how much does a gym near the one without a gym cost? that is the value of the free gym

do that and then cut the value in half because your gym is now also full of your coworkers

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
most on site "fitness centers" suck poo poo

also it sounds like you have 30 minutes of free time a day

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

as someone who had to move multiple times while growing up- moving when you have a kid is a big deal.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

also i'm gonna disagree with everyone else and say yeah having an on-site gym with decent ammenities would be very attractive to me. i don't know how i would value it but it would definitely be highly weighed in the pros/cons

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
someone should build a fitness app

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Rex-Goliath posted:

also i'm gonna disagree with everyone else and say yeah having an on-site gym with decent ammenities would be very attractive to me. i don't know how i would value it but it would definitely be highly weighed in the pros/cons

My current place has an on site gym that's not too busy and that's a big pro for me, mostly because I like to minimize time spent in the gym and the number of gyms in my area is so small that they are almost always packed beyond belief, meaning my 60 minute workout just became 60 minutes of working out and 30 minutes of waiting for people to stop pissing on the equipment.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

it also means no going to and from a gym and having to lug around a gym bag. also being stuck on a hard problem and being able to just stand up and say, 'gently caress it i'm hitting the gym' to clear your mind is huge. in fact i'll even say that because the company offers that it probably means they 'get it' and will be pretty easy to work for in other regards as well. but again actually ascribing a financial value to that is difficult. you're the only one who can answer that

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Following up the two parts that seem to be asked a lot:

1) Moving isn't really an option. I got a good price on a 1/3rd acre new construction in a Seattle Suburb. Paid ~700k it's worth ~ 1.2 now. It's also got a really large play set in the backyard that's not movable. I've done 40-60 min commutes for the past 7 years and that's not much of an issue for me. And that's why commute is so long, Seattle suburb where you can get new construction to downtown take awhile...
2) Last job (Also 40-60 min commute as mentioned above.) Had a fitness center. I used it almost every business day for the 4 years we were in that building. Prior to that (and when the kid was too young to notice.) I'd just go to a real gym most mornings before going to the office. Now that the kid is in school and more regimented on wake up / go to bed time is where things are difficult.

I guess I'll just need to assign a dollar value somehow to it and compare the comps. Who knows maybe the one I expect to be lower will surprise me, but I don't think it will. Or maybe the one I think is going to ghost to me will get back to me since that is better than either of the two, closer, even higher comp, gym across the street.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Rex-Goliath posted:

as someone who had to move multiple times while growing up- moving when you have a kid is a big deal.
It's less of a big deal before they start school though.

It's way easier to get used to living in a smaller house than it is to give up an extra hour of every workday.

Hughlander posted:

I guess I'll just need to assign a dollar value somehow to it and compare the comps. Who knows maybe the one I expect to be lower will surprise me, but I don't think it will. Or maybe the one I think is going to ghost to me will get back to me since that is better than either of the two, closer, even higher comp, gym across the street.
You should also be putting dollar values on things like the backyard vs using the city park, or commuting vs playing with your kid for an extra hour a day.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Hughlander posted:

Moving isn't really an option. I got a good price on a 1/3rd acre new construction in a Seattle Suburb. Paid ~700k it's worth ~ 1.2 now. It's also got a really large play set in the backyard that's not movable. I've done 40-60 min commutes for the past 7 years and that's not much of an issue for me. And that's why commute is so long, Seattle suburb where you can get new construction to downtown take awhile...

sell the house, put your $500k profit in an etf, get a job on the east side, rent a house within a 15 minute commute, spend more time with your family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

For those not familiar with the Seattle area: 40-60 minutes door to door isn't bad. Traffic sucks here, pubic transportation isn't that great (a lot of reliance on buses which get stuck in the same traffic) and things are actually pretty spread out (Microsoft's in Redmond, Boeing is south Seattle, Amazons in SLU, there's tons of poo poo in Bellevue, Google has a place in Fremont and Kirkland etc etc)

Its not feasible to move every time you get a new job, maybe if you've been there awhile and expect to stay for the rest of your career or something idk.

That being said, I try and work out before or after work. Building gyms always suck unless you're at a super cushy place like Google. I don't know what your stance on body weight exercises or running is but that also might be something to get into.