Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

fermi estimation would be something like

so estimating that for every domestic violence crime discovered/publicized there are 9 that aren't, and that highly publicized cases account for something like 5% of known cases, you're looking at something like 10ish highly publicized cases a year, 200 or so total assuming most don't rate, so something like 2000 or so of these in the U.S.

assuming that the captives live for several years in captivity, I'm going to assume that long term denial of medical care in adverse conditions, that there are somewhere around 12000 or so people in this situation minimum in the U.S.

so you'd think it'd be 12000 out of 329 million, since that's the population of the U.S.? Except it's probably better to limit this to owner-occupied housing, which would be more like 79 million. Plugging that in means that, rounding slightly up, you're looking at 152 people in this situation for every 1 million houses out there.

assuming there's at least 1 house for every five people, with an average population density in the northwest of around 325 people a square mile, means that maybe (?) 65 houses per square mile

if you use the whole us, it's about 90ish people per square mile, so 18 houses

assuming about 15 miles a commute each way, and the average distance an american drives is probably short of 15,000 annually, so maybe 12000? The average commute takes up about 7,800 of that, so you're looking at about 4,200 miles of optional driving

halve that or so because of trips to grocery stores or common points or so, and it'd probably be fair-ish to say an american passes about 2000 or so miles of new roads annually multiply that by our assumed density and you get about 130,000 or so homes passed at a rate of 152/1,000,000 you're looking at about 21ish people locked in the basement that the average american passes annually if you live in the metroplex northeast area and about 6 just generally tooling around the U.S.

annually

keep in mind, this is just the creepy stranger weirdo cases, so if you live in a higher-population density/higher housing density area or include things like slavery or domestic violence situations

ENJOY

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

i sat in the sun and read all day it was super pleasant. my cat hopped up and slept in my lap for like 2 hours.

loving ruled

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Dick Milhous Rock! posted:

so estimating that for every domestic violence crime discovered/publicized there are 9 that aren't, and that highly publicized cases account for something like 5% of known cases, you're looking at something like 10ish highly publicized cases a year, 200 or so total assuming most don't rate, so something like 2000 or so of these in the U.S.

assuming that the captives live for several years in captivity, I'm going to assume that long term denial of medical care in adverse conditions, that there are somewhere around 12000 or so people in this situation minimum in the U.S.

so you'd think it'd be 12000 out of 329 million, since that's the population of the U.S.? Except it's probably better to limit this to owner-occupied housing, which would be more like 79 million. Plugging that in means that, rounding slightly up, you're looking at 152 people in this situation for every 1 million houses out there.

assuming there's at least 1 house for every five people, with an average population density in the northwest of around 325 people a square mile, means that maybe (?) 65 houses per square mile

assuming about 15 miles a commute each way, and the average distance an american drives is probably short of 15,000 annually, so maybe 12000? The average commute takes up about 7,800 of that, so you're looking at about 4,200 miles of optional driving

halve that or so because of trips to grocery stores or common points or so, and it'd probably be fair-ish to say an american passes about 2000 or so miles of new roads annually multiply that by our assumed density and you get about 130,000 or so homes passed at a rate of 152/1,000,000 you're looking at about 21ish people locked in the basement that the average american passes annually if you live in the metroplex northeast area and about 6 just generally tooling around the U.S.

annually

keep in mind, this is just the creepy stranger weirdo cases, so if you live in a higher-population density/higher housing density area or include things like slavery or domestic violence situations

ENJOY

Well alrighty then

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Zyla posted:

i sat in the sun and read all day it was super pleasant. my cat hopped up and slept in my lap for like 2 hours.

loving ruled

:sun:

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

i don't know why i bothered to do that

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

annually

ENJOY

so in other words i've bought cigarettes behind a serial killer in line at a gas stations approximately 17.4 times

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

pathetic little tramp posted:

I ONLY REMEMBER SAILOR!

Hahaha zing!

Man, I've been meaning to get one of the thread catchphrases in for a while now. Feels good, feels good.

trump

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

Zyla posted:

loving ruled

aww good. everything about this is good

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

campfire posted:

so in other words i've bought cigarettes behind a serial killer in line at a gas stations approximately 17.4 times

depends on how often you buy cigarettes

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Grondoth posted:

You know what? I'm fuckin' done. I'm done. I'm done! These are people who massacred civilians. They're the worst. They're what everyone agrees "hey, shouldn't do that" and he's just pardoning them.

I'm done with this. I'm not reading this goddamn thread anymore, there isn't a god drat thing left he can do that I could ever care about; maybe he'll get impeached or something who loving knows. But I can't spend time caring about this motherfucking awful piece of trash anymore, or I'm not going to outlive him cause I'll just go jump off a loving bridge. Anyone who's okay with this is objective trash. They deserve to be stuffed in a garbage disposal.

Al! posted:

see you tomorrow

no brain left unbroken. we'll have mochi muffins ready for u nice n warm when you return

consider hte trumpster

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

too much education?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
a very
:hmmyes:
Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

can’t wait for trump to pardon lieutenant calley

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
my power is out I can’t properly Trump!

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

depends on how often you buy cigarettes

and how close to an arterial interstate you are probably. fortunately for me it's daily and i live 0.1 miles from one of the longest roads in the US

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

deckgibson posted:

can’t wait for trump to pardon lieutenant calley

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

whose the whistleblower guy from my lai, trump should anti pardon him and throw his snitch rear end in jail

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

campfire posted:

whose the whistleblower guy from my lai, trump should anti pardon him and throw his snitch rear end in jail

Charlie Sheen

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

aaaaaaaaaaaaaghghghahdghfajghjfdghdfg

trump on the braine

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Will someone please think of the trumps

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Third World Reagan posted:

Will someone please think of the trumps

thas all we do here donald reagan

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

Luv to alienate all our allies then get pissed that the allies won't promise to spill blood in our next pointless war.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Trump to pardon ensign cally from bsg :awesomelon:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Trump should pardon Chris dorner

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

Reality Winter posted:

Trump should pardon Chris dorner

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Free Jonathon pollard

campfire
Feb 19, 2008

Snoo Zertnert

i hope part of the pardoning ceremony involves shooting an iraqi child in the face on stage and christening the blessed Troops with their blood

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
trump you can do whatever the gently caress you want and your base is going to vote for you

so what you need to do is pass medicare 4 all, while convincing the base it's to 'own the libs' and boom - first president to win all 50 states

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Free azathoth

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

I wish I was half as funny and creative as you guys.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
lmao

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1129853974247550977

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Pardon the troops who murdered Pat tillman jk those troops never saw repercussions

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

oh right and because home ownership vastly favors boomers as a demographic it means the vast majority of these captors are probably boomers, another reason to bring out gee yo teens

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Xaris posted:

a very
:hmmyes:
What is America?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

i don't know why i bothered to do that

trump