Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Krispy Wafer posted:

The projectionists at my theater were always middle aged men with long scraggly hair who lurked in the shadows. Since they were all unionized they seemed to exist in a realm all to themselves working their complex pulleys and splicing machines. Nowadays it’s all digital so anyone can do it.

Were you a creepy middle aged man?

Nah, I wasn't a union projectionist. It was my first job, and it was just a glorified usher position. They only have union projectionists where they have big multiplexes or Imax screens, or shot like that.

When I got put in charge of the booth I kept fighting my manager because she wanted to hire 16 year old kids to run the projectors, which was very illegal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Iron Crowned posted:

I've got your back on this one.

Thank you

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

datajugend posted:

charlie sheen did a good dead pan ala leslie nielsen in the hot shots movies and he did it in the scary movie one. if he didnt go insane he could have kept that torch alive and well if those types of movies get popular again.

His cameo in Loaded Weapon 1 is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLEm_sXr8EE

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anna Faris was in both The Squeakquel and Chipwrecked so I don't see how you can possibly not like her work.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

And she had a cameo in Keanu

:cool::respek::cool:

Bogus Adventure has a new favorite as of 21:01 on May 16, 2019

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
She was in Keanu :colbert:

E;fb

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Bogus Adventure posted:

"Just Friends" and "Observe and Report" are both very loving funny.

Fight me.

:colbert:

never saw just friends but observe and report is good. super dark though.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I like in Scary Movie 3 where they linger for several seconds on a horse taking a big poo poo and then a guy in a cheap alien costume walks by. Very funny to me because I am very dumb

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

That was insanely funny to me as a kid because I found the disturbing footage scene from signs so scary.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Ambitious Spider posted:

never saw just friends but observe and report is good. super dark though.

Just Friends is funny, although some of the humor may have aged poorly. I like to look at it as a movie about how "friend zone" and "pick up culture" poo poo is bad, and that it's more important to be yourself. I'm also biased because I love the interplay between the brothers since it reminds me of growing up with my younger brother.

Anna Faris plays a parody of vapid, spoiled pop stars, and she loving nails it:

I'm not going to include my favorite bit with her because it'll ruin one of the better twists, but it involves her doing a bubble impression.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, surprising amount of what we consider "Hollywood classics" are more or less talkie-versions of silent films, which in turn are film versions of stage plays.

Hollywood spent the best part of 30 years churning out literally hundreds of lovely singing cowboy movies that were all re-re-re-remakes of the same dozen or so basic plots. Sequels were often essentially just a low-budget remake of the original too rather than a continuation of the story.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

PhotoKirk posted:

His cameo in Loaded Weapon 1 is fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLEm_sXr8EE

Loaded Weapon is such an underrated gem. It wasn't as good as Mel Brooks or the Zucker brothers movies, but it was still solid gag after solid gag, and miles better than anything that came after 33 1/3.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Were the "ripped from the headlines" Law and Order stories always confusingly adapted?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Gaunab posted:

Were the "ripped from the headlines" Law and Order stories always confusingly adapted?

regular law and order ehhh some or better than others. svu? absolutely

my favorite was when they had not-paula dean murder not-trayvon martin

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the best Ripped From The Headlines episode of original Law and Order is when Big Pete from the Adventures of Pete and Pete and a young Mac from Always Sunny except he's Puerto Rican order delivery and then kill the delivery driver for a THRILL KILL

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I somehow avoided L&O until this Winter when I was home and sleep deprived with a baby.

The episode I saw had a promising high school asian academic phenom gunned down in Chinatown after having a fight with his white girlfriend. They suspect Chinese Mafia and it turns out it was probably the racist as poo poo mother of the kid's friend and her failure elder son who was leaving racist as gently caress messages to the kid's family.
At trial, the girlfriend says she saw the brother's work van and they get put away. 2 minutes before the episode ends, the girl's story is proven bunk and the murdermom gets out.

Sure it was probably true to life when it comes to clusterfuck cases but god if it wasn't infuriating to watch.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

e. wrong thread

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

FilthyImp posted:

I somehow avoided L&O until this Winter when I was home and sleep deprived with a baby.

The episode I saw had a promising high school asian academic phenom gunned down in Chinatown after having a fight with his white girlfriend. They suspect Chinese Mafia and it turns out it was probably the racist as poo poo mother of the kid's friend and her failure elder son who was leaving racist as gently caress messages to the kid's family.
At trial, the girlfriend says she saw the brother's work van and they get put away. 2 minutes before the episode ends, the girl's story is proven bunk and the murdermom gets out.

Sure it was probably true to life when it comes to clusterfuck cases but god if it wasn't infuriating to watch.

I think things like that is what made original L&O unique when it came out. The DA could be totally wrong, or the jury finds in favor of the main suspect, and everything is just left unsolved.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Gaunab posted:

The Justin Bieber one is funny just because they don’t do much to change his look for a far right redneck terrorist group leader, so it’s just goofy looking to see a teen pop star lead a bunch of men dressed as red necks

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Alaois posted:

the best Ripped From The Headlines episode of original Law and Order is when Big Pete from the Adventures of Pete and Pete and a young Mac from Always Sunny except he's Puerto Rican order delivery and then kill the delivery driver for a THRILL KILL

Charlie Day is also in an episode where he plays a cast member of a Real World-alike where a guy gets thrown off the roof because the producers were obsessed with upping the drama.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

muscles like this! posted:

Charlie Day is also in an episode where he plays a cast member of a Real World-alike where a guy gets thrown off the roof because the producers were obsessed with upping the drama.

This still just sounds like an episode of always sunny

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

pretty soft girl posted:

This still just sounds like an episode of always sunny

literally the episode that ends with one of the mcpoyle brothers hanging off the roof of the bar and frank pushes him off with a 2x4

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I saw an episode of the Simpsons the other day that was an episode long parody of 24. To say it has not aged well is an understatement

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

FilthyImp posted:

Maybe it's because I've been watching someone do a blind playthrough of the games, but this feels like you wouldn't have to do much to make it an Ace Attorney case. Just give everyone weird punny names, include something that's secretly a clock, and you're done.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Cleretic posted:

Maybe it's because I've been watching someone do a blind playthrough of the games, but this feels like you wouldn't have to do much to make it an Ace Attorney case. Just give everyone weird punny names, include something that's secretly a clock, and you're done.

It's pretty clear they got a lot of their ideas for that from watching a lot of Perry Mason.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

I saw an episode of the Simpsons the other day that was an episode long parody of 24. To say it has not aged well is an understatement

In the good years of The Simpsons, they would always try to gratuitously work in titles of other shows that they thought would be instantly cancelled because they thought it was funny to see them referenced a year or more after anyone had thought about them. So that’s why they mention Herman’s Head and Seaquest and Models Inc.

This episode sounds like the opposite of that philosophy.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
not tv, but benny hill totally ruined the italian job.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Speaking of The Simpsons, an episode on FX yesterday had them go to New York. Bart convinced Homer to go largely because, "The two buildings he hates the most were obliterated."

Bart named a couple of buildings that aren't the ones you're thinking of right now, but that was goddamn spicy for a network TV show, especially for an episode that aired on 2012.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

OutOfPrint posted:

Speaking of The Simpsons, an episode on FX yesterday had them go to New York. Bart convinced Homer to go largely because, "The two buildings he hates the most were obliterated."

Bart named a couple of buildings that aren't the ones you're thinking of right now, but that was goddamn spicy for a network TV show, especially for an episode that aired on 2012.

Ah, so they went back to New York? no crab juice?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

In the good years of The Simpsons, they would always try to gratuitously work in titles of other shows that they thought would be instantly cancelled because they thought it was funny to see them referenced a year or more after anyone had thought about them. So that’s why they mention Herman’s Head and Seaquest and Models Inc.

This episode sounds like the opposite of that philosophy.

Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria were both in Herman's Head, so probably a reference to that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sunswipe posted:

Yeardley Smith and Hank Azaria were both in Herman's Head, so probably a reference to that.

Hey now, Zima was for sale on Babylon 5

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Hey now, Zima was for sale on Babylon 5

I don't know what this means, but the phrase "Babylon 5" implies I won't care.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

A show that does not belong in this thread! For it has aged like fine wine. (Despite being 90s as gently caress in most conceivable ways.)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The descent into fascism is incredibly timely. It must have seemed like dusty, dry moralizing in the 90s, but it’s extremely apt and better than any other sci fi show for Saturday afternoon ever managed.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

sweet geek swag posted:

Nah, I wasn't a union projectionist. It was my first job, and it was just a glorified usher position. They only have union projectionists where they have big multiplexes or Imax screens, or shot like that.

When I got put in charge of the booth I kept fighting my manager because she wanted to hire 16 year old kids to run the projectors, which was very illegal.

When I worked at a movie theater from 1989--1991, the union projectionists only came in to assemble the films on Thursday and one of them used to come in on the weekends to run things. We teenagers ran the projectors the rest of the time.

War of the Roses got held over so long, our print would break at least once per showing. We'd have to have one of us stationed in the booth ready to splice it back together.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Ah, so they went back to New York? no crab juice?

No crab juice, but the khlava kalash guy opened a gaudy restaurant in Times Square.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

WescottF1 posted:

When I worked at a movie theater from 1989--1991, the union projectionists only came in to assemble the films on Thursday and one of them used to come in on the weekends to run things. We teenagers ran the projectors the rest of the time.

War of the Roses got held over so long, our print would break at least once per showing. We'd have to have one of us stationed in the booth ready to splice it back together.

I only ever saw the projectionists at night. I think they loaded everything up and the managers ran the film. This was a small 4 screen cinema so it was a little easier than a big multiplex.

Being a small poorly attended multiplex we had a gross habit of popping all the popcorn once a week. We still had it in those glass cases, but it was just filled with bags of old popcorn that were warmed up. The popcorn was probably fine, if a little stale, but you were still paying full movie theater prices for it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

I don't know what this means, but the phrase "Babylon 5" implies I won't care.

I can tell you have a big dick, gun, and truck from this cool manly masculine adult post

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

I can tell you have a big dick, gun, and truck from this cool manly masculine adult post

Sorry I don't like your Deep Space 9 ripoff, buddy. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

OOOOOooooooohhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!