Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Deketh posted:

Would you mind sharing the seed and build?

Not worth it, the map's whatever and I just used bbedit to give my dude iron lungs bc life is too short to restart like 50 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Mazz posted:

Playing lone wolf, this event pops that gives me a free squire. I'll take you on little one.

Next battle, he gets stabbed in the face by the first dude he sees. Dead.

Literally laughed out loud

Never even killed a man

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

this is the first time i've ever seen a reputation above neutral, which i thought was just the highest it could be what with mercenary work not being the most moral of jobs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Roobanguy posted:

this is the first time i've ever seen a reputation above neutral, which i thought was just the highest it could be what with mercenary work not being the most moral of jobs.

How?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Do a lot of Defend Villages type stuff and benign contracts of the sort, always take the nice option in events (no stealing swords from graves, etc). I've got that level of rep several times because I'm a big softy sellsword.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you do enough "Good" choices, like not ratting out the fleeing laborers, not slitting the throats of defenseless enemies, not taking razing missions, etc. your reputation will eventually go up to that.
No idea what it does.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
It would be absolutely in keeping with the spirit of BB if it does nothing.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

Nordick posted:

gently caress me, I'm pretty sure the Barbarians have some sort of arcane RNG bending bullshit magic at their disposal. It's just loving astounding the consistency with which my dudes will whiff every single loving attack on them for an ENTIRE TURN despite the hit chances being ~80%. And then they get brained because every single one of those motherfuckers has a loving skull hammer.

Those barb weapons have the highest ignore armor in the game so if they hit your head they can one shot most guys.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I'm curious about trying some sort of Cleaver Duelist with the new Barb weapons. With all that armor penetration it seems like you might have a shot at racking up bleed stacks right at the chew center of some armored fuckwads.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Voyager I posted:

I'm curious about trying some sort of Cleaver Duelist with the new Barb weapons. With all that armor penetration it seems like you might have a shot at racking up bleed stacks right at the chew center of some armored fuckwads.

I'm finding so far it's still better to have the pure base damage on the Military/Orc cleaver for Dueling unless there's a higher tier 1h Barb cleaver I haven't found yet. I haven't gotten to fight them a ton in my current game because they're in the north and I'm a Raider myself.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Bogarts posted:

Those barb weapons have the highest ignore armor in the game so if they hit your head they can one shot most guys.

Yeah, I am aware. Which is why I pointed out the skull hammer, which has the very highest of the lot. Or maybe that's the skull mace, but I loving hate both of those things.

EDIT: Anyways, I retired from my Barb company and started a Lone Wolf run with the seed "CLEGANE". Pretty cool map, lots of forests and a nice even spread of big cities. Starting dude has no traits but 3 stars in fatigue and MS and 2 in MD. Although I guess those might be pretty set in stone for this start, I dunno. Found two real solid brawlers as my first recruits and have been trucking along pretty well since then. Currently have 7 bros in addition to the knight, though only the brawlers are really good ones.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 19, 2019

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Yeah the lone wolf stars are the same for all play throughs. I'm doing my second lone wolf game and I played 60ish days before I recruited anyone and I only started because I got the squire event and he had really good archer stars and starting stats. Now I'm day 90ish but only have six guys total because I'm trying to only get the best guys I can so I can hopefully do all the bosses.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The feeling when your motley band of random mooks with gambesons and poo poo absolutely ace a fight against 19 zombies, with your super knight avatar just taking out a couple of the more dangerous armored ones. loving Radulf the garbage grave digger with a clutch-rear end spearwall and Arne the 30 crown beggar just going full apeshit with his short sword. I'm so proud of these guys. :3:

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Voyager I posted:

This build is great, I tried it on my solo lone wolf and even without the cleaver spec it's drat effective, especially with the +damage and +AP on kill perks. I'd imagine it would kinda suck against skeletons, but anything with blood will have a very bad time.

On my lone wolf duelist right now the noble sword and two-handed axe are tied for best weapon. It's a balancing act trying to pick between those two for any given fight. Parry hits the most and does the most damage to unarmored guys in terms of fatigue efficiency while the two-handed round swing effectively kills armored guys faster, but with the +4ap and +damage perks it's possible to get in two devastating round swings a turn which is unmatched in terms of damage. It puts you in a dangerous recovery position because you lose a lot of dodge from burning all your fatigue, but with relentless (reduces fatigue's effect on initiative by 50%) I find being exhausted for a turn isn't a death sentence if you immediately pop recovery (@level 11 lone wolf stats). Additionally, killing EVERYTHING AROUND YOU is actually a pretty good form of defense since whoever is left is only gonna get a single strike in next turn instead of 2.

If I were running a more mobile build instead of pure DPS I'd be more inclined to use the noble sword and sacrifice the +4 ap on kill perk for pathfinder (since you're just defending w/parry all the time anyway). BUT you could also forego taking duelist and just fully commit to being a lone wolf axe guy. Spend your duelist perk on something like colossus (gain like 100 EHP when accounting for nimble bonus) or pathfinder or even better, Reach Advantage and you'd still have the solo damage economy efficiency needed to kill pretty much anything (aside from hexes and alps :argh:)

S w a y z e fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 19, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Guildencrantz posted:

It would be absolutely in keeping with the spirit of BB if it does nothing.

Supposedly it affects what missions you'll be offered. So if you have a good reputation nobles won't offer you their "raid this caravan" or "destroy this village" jobs, that kind of thing. In practice even if that is true it probably wouldn't make a difference because if you're the type of player who ends up with "Kind" reputation you probably weren't taking those missions anyway.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

I’m loving the new content. The new starts are super cool. I really like the Lone Wolf one, even though I’ve not yet succeeded in a single battle in it. I guess it comes down to your first recruits

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Seems like champions have a small chance to drop two items? I just got a barbarian named two handed cleaver and named great axe off the same "King of the north"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

vyelkin posted:

Supposedly it affects what missions you'll be offered. So if you have a good reputation nobles won't offer you their "raid this caravan" or "destroy this village" jobs, that kind of thing. In practice even if that is true it probably wouldn't make a difference because if you're the type of player who ends up with "Kind" reputation you probably weren't taking those missions anyway.

They might offer a different mission instead though, in which case it's good because you get a mission you'd take instead of one you wouldn't.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

vyelkin posted:

They still offer you the Attack caravan mission, which I guess makes sense because that’s a military target.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Trying to get a good sense of what a "good" hire looks like is pretty confusing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I just got a 2-skull contract to kill a barbarian king on day 55-ish that offered 3500 crowns. (roughly double to triple the going rate for tough non-head-related contracts)

I passed.

edit: although in hindsight a huge chunk of that might have been travel time :saddowns:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I just got a 2-skull contract to kill a barbarian king on day 55-ish that offered 3500 crowns. (roughly double to triple the going rate for tough non-head-related contracts)

I passed.

edit: although in hindsight a huge chunk of that might have been travel time :saddowns:

I've done two 2-skull barbarian king missions so far and found both of them tough but very doable. Don't think I lost anyone in either fight. Got some sweet gear out of each one as well.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

that's uh, that's a lot of bounty hunters.

ended up being surprisingly doable due to the undead crisis zombie resurrection. some lucky archer kills before the lines clashed helped distract them once they got back up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Doing the undead crisis right now, I just had a weiderganger pick up a dead legionnaire's sword and shield. Has anyone ever seen that before?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

They added wierdengangers picking up weapons in the new dlc. Makes it a lot more annoying when you finally take down the pitchfork goon only to have his buddy pick it back up.

With regards to the lone wolf start, I've run into the issue now where my 1-man party dude isn't triggering the endgame crisis despite being level 20 and being able to solo like 16 undead leigonairres at once. Apparently the behind the scene math checks some addition of overall party number and level before kicking things off. I'm gonna try temporarily boosting my guy to like level 30 to see if that will get it to work. Kinda silly that there is no actual way to get to the endgame of a lone wolf game as a lone wolf

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

if I havent played this before, should I get just the base game or the dlc too?

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Synthbuttrange posted:

if I havent played this before, should I get just the base game or the dlc too?

If you can afford it all, I'd say grab the base game first and try out a few runs before you commit to getting all of it. It's not an easy game and isn't to everyone's tastes. On top of that, a lot of the added content is more difficult than the stuff in the base game.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
How long has that "Battle Brothers is a hard game" disclaimer been on the main menu? Haven't really noticed it until recently.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

How long has that "Battle Brothers is a hard game" disclaimer been on the main menu? Haven't really noticed it until recently.

I think it was just added.

Also a warning, I think one of the recent patches broke something in the game, I never play with permanent destruction on and yet one of the town in my current game just got permanently destroyed. So it's possible a recent patch changed something about the way that works, or reset that choice in existing saves, or something like that.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Finally got a pretty good seed on a poacher run. OKIJHSQFTW has 2 major towns and 3 castles with armorers and weaponsmiths in the north, so if you want to just fight Barbarians all day, you can have constant missions, basically infinite supplies and good recruits here.
The south is pretty much isolated from the north, with a bunch of trading towns you can get plains missions from, and there's a couple mines in the middle of the map where you can buy tools, salt and copper.

Starting as poachers, your bros are decent, but nothing spectacular.

Edit: The northernmost faction also only has 3 towns, so whatever faction missions you get from them will almost always be close by.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 19, 2019

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Necromancers can reanimate legionnaires now :stare:

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Ahah ahaha

gently caress you house Bartholin. You ambushed my dudes all the loving time but now my monk helped me befriend another house and now I don’t need your loving villages anymore!

6k gold mission to take a castle. That was hard as gently caress. But house bartholin is going down.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, the new Alps are not very fun to fight. Do you have to have dogs to stand a chance?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Psst

Guys

Try "goldmine" as a seed you wont be disappointed

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Broken Cog posted:

Wow, the new Alps are not very fun to fight. Do you have to have dogs to stand a chance?

You always need dogs.
I hate myself but ive started using them as arbalestbait. I don't think I can live with myself really.

Also how do people survive without the mod that lets you see a recruits stars. You still get poo poo recruits but youre not spending 10k gold on a sellsword with no stars in anything good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't know, that sounds like it would make the game too easy. Building suboptimal bros while looking for the legends feels like part of the game.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 14:58 on May 19, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Affi posted:

You always need dogs.
I hate myself but ive started using them as arbalestbait. I don't think I can live with myself really.

Also how do people survive without the mod that lets you see a recruits stars. You still get poo poo recruits but youre not spending 10k gold on a sellsword with no stars in anything good.

I used dogs as a distraction for the Kraken's tentacles.

Confession: I savescum recruitment like crazy.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I just used dogs to survive a brutal undead crisis fight. Took a mission to defend a town against raiders, just a two star, 1300-ish gold mission, should be pretty straightforward. Turned out to be three groups of undead instead. I took out a necromancer group pretty easily but the other two groups were raiding the same town tile so I had to fight both of them at once, which meant one group of ancient dead and one group of necromancer/zombies/geists. I was outnumbered something like 27 to 16 and they came in two groups so I was flanked right from the start. Adding three dogs to my guys holding off the zombies on my flank while everybody else concentrated on the skeletons probably saved my rear end by tying up zombies and stopping me from getting totally surrounded. I lost one dog and two bros, both of whom came back with non-terminal permanent injuries. Tense but awesome in the end. I felt like I deserved more gold after that though.

Warhounds with unhold armour are actually really good against enemies with low melee skills like zombies. I think the dog I lost was only because a possessed zombie landed like three hits in one turn, too.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
Has anyone fought an Ijirok on the most recent patch? I got an event where it pops up while traversing the tundra, but every time I choose to attack it, the game just gets stuck on the loading screen for the combat. Already checked file integrity in Steam too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So thinking about the various starts, I know lots of people think barbarians are a good start. Lone Wolf is good if you can commit to soloing long enough to get high level. Militia is deceptively difficult in you get lots of trash at the start that you may want to fire but you can commit a lot of guys to the line; I played them about thirty days in and they're fine.

What about the Beast Slayers? I only just started one of them and the bad prices are not great to start, but also the initial injuries and morale penalties meant one of my men abandoned me before I could turn in the first mission. Are they worth sticking with?