Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I suddenly want to make a mod that replaces all the mudcrab sounds with the bad dragon voiceover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I suddenly want to make a mod that replaces all the mudcrab sounds with the bad dragon voiceover

do it with cliff racers instead

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is skywind a thing yet they have been a year from release for like a decade

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why arn't there any mod packs?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

KakerMix posted:

But none of the other dragons ever speak english

Alduin

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from making a mod pack. The reason there isn't one is because everyone who posts here wishing there was a mod pack doesn't want to put in the time & effort required to make one.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raygereio posted:

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from making a mod pack. The reason there isn't one is because everyone who posts here wishing there was a mod pack doesn't want to put in the time & effort required to make one.

And yet modpacks exist for other games. I'm not a modder. I'm a modpack consumer in other games. My lack of making those modpacks didn't prevent them from happening.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tenzarin posted:

From what others have posted there is apparently all kinds of cultural inertia specific to the Bethesda modding community that prevents it, including that Arthmoor guy.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Addamere posted:

And yet modpacks exist for other games. I'm not a modder. I'm a modpack consumer in other games. My lack of making those modpacks didn't prevent them from happening.
Look, we've been over this dozens of times in this thread and its predecessors.
Yes, the modding culture on the Nexus is vehemently against mod packs. But that just means you can't upload such a pack on the Nexus. You are still free to upload it anywhere.
And yes, some modders might throw a shitfit and delete their mods from the nexus if you include their mod in a pack. Who cares? You already have downloaded their mod and put it in your pack.
None of that actually prevents a mod pack from existing.

The singular reason that a goon-blessed mod pack isn't floating around in this thread, is because any poster who wants one to exist, doesn't want to put in the time & effort into actually making one.
Do you have a working mod setup currently? Great, take that and upload it via a torrent or whatever. Voila. Mod pack created.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
well that and you run into the "hey this has enb with gorgous water and lighting and weather, and please ignore the bijn all in one realistic physics supermodels standing to the side doing fniss_idle_sexy_01" issue

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm fondly remembering the time I installed a bunch of mods as per some guide and my first interaction with it beyond noticing the pretty graphics was a dragon landing outside of Whiterun and there being dialog options to gently caress the dragon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
As has been mentioned before setting up a modpack would be an irritating amount of work, and even more irritating to deal with the constant stream of people demanding you explain why it doesn't work after they install it. A lot of work for really no big reward in the slightest.

If you want a modpack, make one. If you don't wanna put in the effort, well, nobody else does either.

ProfessorCirno fucked around with this message at 11:59 on May 16, 2019

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorCirno posted:

As has been mentioned before setting up a modpack would be an irritating amount of work, and even more irritating to deal with the constant stream of people demanding you explain why it doesn't work after they install it. A lot of work for really no big reward in the slightest.

As has been mentioned before, all these issues are true of other games with modpacks and yet modpacks exist for them. The limiting factor is not technical but cultural.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ProfessorCirno posted:

If you want a modpack, make one. If you don't wanna put in the effort, well, nobody else does either.

If you want a cheeseburger, first become a dairy farmer.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
You might note that there are dairy farmers, but no Skyrim mod pack makers. So that analogy doesn't quite work out.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

Addamere posted:

I'm fondly remembering the time I installed a bunch of mods as per some guide and my first interaction with it beyond noticing the pretty graphics was a dragon landing outside of Whiterun and there being dialog options to gently caress the dragon.

did you gently caress the dragon for science???

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

drkeiscool posted:

did you gently caress the dragon for science???

I did not. I make a post and start over.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
Anyone who kills Parthunaax should be put on a list

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

[extremely nerd voice] The limiting factor is not technical but cultural.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Look modpacks own and I am the biggest champion of them what with Minecraft. Skyrim is different though and much more granular with how mods are done. You can't just have "a" modpack and it work well and be popular, you'd have to have some kind of modpack creator that did the work for you since that's what people want. If I put together a modpack it would be what I liked at the time. What people REALLY want is a window to come up and ask questions, the player selects what they want, and the thing installs the mods correctly for them.

The only real way a modpack would work would be I guess a "basic" one to get you started but even then you'd have to learn how to use mod managers anyway and if you're going to learn that might as well jump in yourself.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
A good example of a working modpack would be this list which has been tweaked within an inch of its life - on the one hand, it actually works fairly well despite having about 9000 mods, but because of the tweaking to get 9000 mods to work together it is very unlikely to work if even a single mod is removed, so hope you like the mods they picked

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:DarkladyLexy/Lexys_LOTD_SE

(of course unlike a true modpack you still need to spend hours going through painstakingly going through the install guide because Drama)

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 17, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lum_ posted:

A good example of a working modpack would be this list which has been tweaked within an inch of its life - on the one hand, it actually works fairly well despite having about 9000 mods, but because of the tweaking to get 9000 mods to work together it is very unlikely to work if even a single mod is removed, so hope you like the mods they picked

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:DarkladyLexy/Lexys_LOTD_SE

(of course unlike a true modpack you still need to spend hours going through painstakingly going through the install guide because Drama)

LOTD is the one with the museum in Solitude right?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

LOTD is the one with the museum in Solitude right?

yep, which has about as much gameplay as vanilla Skyrim

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

Using the Alternate Start plugin, you can literally just play Skyrim as Viking Indiana Jones

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
Is the 6GB of VRAM on the RTX2060 enough for some ENB and texture mods at 1440p? Is the additional $120 for a 2070 worth it to get 2GB more VRAM?

My CPU is kind of old (4670k) and modded Skyrim is the only game I really care about graphics-wise so I'm curious if it's worth getting the 2070.

What are people running the game on?

Never mind, went out and bought a RTX2060.

RangerPL fucked around with this message at 22:04 on May 17, 2019

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Lum_ posted:

yep, which has about as much gameplay as vanilla Skyrim

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/11802

Using the Alternate Start plugin, you can literally just play Skyrim as Viking Indiana Jones

Wasn't this super bloaty or was that an issue fixed for SSE?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CascadeBeta posted:

Wasn't this super bloaty or was that an issue fixed for SSE?

It was (and is) very script-heavy though I never had any of the real slowdowns that other people complained about, even on Oldrim.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
What's the go-to mod(s) for making dragons more interesting to fight? Variety, AI, graphics, etc.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Deuce posted:

What's the go-to mod(s) for making dragons more interesting to fight? Variety, AI, graphics, etc.

Deadly Dragons (LE, SE) - Customizeable dragon health and damage, adds new types of dragons.

Diverse Dragons Collection (LE, SE) - Adds even more dragon types, can spawn dragons on command, compatible with Deadly Dragons with a patch.

Dragon Animation Replace (LE, SE) - fixes some janky animations for dragon attacks.

Cinematic Dragon Soul Absorption (LE, SE) - Makes absorbing dragon souls post-battle a little more involved, customizable levels of ridiculousness.

Immersive Dragons (LE, SE) - Minor but noticeable improvements to the dragon NIF skeleton, compatible with pretty much every dragon mod.

Timing is Everything (LE, SE) - Contains a subset of tweaks that can increase or decrease the frequency of random dragon attacks.

Bellyaches Dragon Texture Replacer and New Dragon Species (Vanilla, New) - 2k texture packs for dragons. Works for both version of the game because they're just texture files.

E:

More Dramatic Alduin (LE, SE) - Gives Alduin a firey red underglow ala Deathwing from WoW for storyline encounters.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 19, 2019

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

nine-gear crow posted:

Deadly Dragons (LE, SE) - Customizeable dragon health and damage, adds new types of dragons.

Diverse Dragons Collection (LE, SE) - Adds even more dragon types, can spawn dragons on command, compatible with Deadly Dragons with a patch.

Dragon Animation Replace (LE, SE) - fixes some janky animations for dragon attacks.

Cinematic Dragon Soul Absorption (LE, SE) - Makes absorbing dragon souls post-battle a little more involved, customizable levels of ridiculousness.

Immersive Dragons (LE, SE) - Minor but noticeable improvements to the dragon NIF skeleton, compatible with pretty much every dragon mod.

Timing is Everything (LE, SE) - Contains a subset of tweaks that can increase or decrease the frequency of random dragon attacks.

Bellyaches Dragon Texture Replacer and New Dragon Species (Vanilla, New) - 2k texture packs for dragons. Works for both version of the game because they're just texture files.

E:

More Dramatic Alduin (LE, SE) - Gives Alduin a firey red underglow ala Deathwing from WoW for storyline encounters.

Well jesus christ that sounds like it'll do! Thanks.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

nine-gear crow posted:

E:

That's all well and good, but how on earth could you forget the most important dragon mod of them all?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5518/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

KS Dragon Overhaul 2 might have a terrible name but it's the best mod out there for making dragons actually a fun + fair challenge to fight

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Skwirl posted:

That's all well and good, but how on earth could you forget the most important dragon mod of them all?

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/5518/

WWE Dragon Mod When

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
No mention of the Thomas mod? What happened to you thread, you used to be cool. Who hurt you?

E: anyone know if that got ported to SE?

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
I'm wondering if anyone can help with this obscure problem I'm having in Legendary edition.

I get major FPS losses when I'm in interiors. It seems to be worse in places with fires. Sometimes this problem will just suddenly stop happening, and the FPS will be fine, but that's rare. The major important points are

- It happens in pure vanilla and modded
- It gets worse when I have interior lighting changers like ELFX and Realistic Lighting Overhaul
- It doesn't get any better if I turn shadow detail down
- My FPS outside is fine. 60 consistently

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Out of curiosity, do you have gsync and/or dual monitors? In both Skyrim and other games I've sometimes encountered very low FPS associated with currently or previously having content on the second monitor such as youtube since the last time the system was booted. In Skyrim though it seems to consistently fix itself if I just quick save and quick load right on the spot.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Any idea what would cause this sprite to appear as the sun glare?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Floor is lava posted:

Any idea what would cause this sprite to appear as the sun glare?

It’s an ENB issue, I believe. That sprite is Boris’s avatar/mascot. I don’t know what causes it or how to fix it, but I’ve seen it once or twice myself, usually if you look somewhere you’re not expected to look during a lighting effect. I replayed through the opening sequence a while ago and when I activated the first Guardian Stone on the run down to Riverwood I looked up and followed the beam of light into the sky and I saw exactly what you did too up along the beam.

I dunno, maybe try re-installing ENB and whatever preset you’re using? :shrug:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's because ENB ships with that as the default lens flare sprite. You can just delete the image.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Caphi posted:

It's because ENB ships with that as the default lens flare sprite.

WHY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Are there seriously not any mods that increase the graphical quality of the NPCs without also being anime tiddy mods.

Like "here's the NPC body just with more polygons"