Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Who was it again who had that AdMech goblin army? I think it was a goon at least who did.
Mostly asking because a friend on Discord asked for pictures of it that i had linked before to him.
Not going through a 1600 page thread for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Psyber Spine posted:

This image is so annoying. Press F7, add to dictionary for your professional presentation with made up words!
Indeed, as all those squiggly lines under the made-up words hide "Apothercary," which is just a straight-up typo.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
So aside from the inevitable faults that I'm only seeing now that its blown up to 20x size I'm pretty sure Brother-Apothecary Chiron is a wrap! :toot:

This brings me up to captain, librarian, chaplain, ancient, Lt, and Apothecary for converted primaris characters. (though i dont use the Lt anymore since the wake the dead one is the best)
Just have to start painting the phobos Lt and a remake of my powerfist captain before august for NoVA and other events.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

So aside from the inevitable faults that I'm only seeing now that its blown up to 20x size I'm pretty sure Brother-Apothecary Chiron is a wrap! :toot:

This brings me up to captain, librarian, chaplain, ancient, Lt, and Apothecary for converted primaris characters. (though i dont use the Lt anymore since the wake the dead one is the best)
Just have to start painting the phobos Lt and a remake of my powerfist captain before august for NoVA and other events.

You converted a monopose, off to the gulag with you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Artum posted:

How did that poor man get squished into the ground like that :ohdear:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Is there any transfer sheet that has the Troops arrow in black? All I can find is the white one. Hoping not to have to print these.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

PantsOptional posted:

Is there any transfer sheet that has the Troops arrow in black? All I can find is the white one. Hoping not to have to print these.

The imperial fist transfer sheet from their Xmas battleforce. Good luck finding it.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

JBP posted:

How did that poor man get squished into the ground like that :ohdear:

Bombardments in the 41st millennium don't gently caress about.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

PantsOptional posted:

While it's not what you're asking, you can paint over transfers. It's not freehanding when there's lines to follow. :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

How did that poor man get melted into the ground like that :ohdear:

Rolled a 1.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Groetgaffel posted:

While it's not what you're asking, you can paint over transfers. It's not freehanding when there's lines to follow. :v:

That’s actually what I ended up doing. Not 100% thrilled with it but it’s better than nothing. Might invest in some Shapeways symbols for this later on.

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

That’s actually what I ended up doing. Not 100% thrilled with it but it’s better than nothing. Might invest in some Shapeways symbols for this later on.

I went this route and constantlystruggle to fit the drat things on pads without forcing the power pack in to awkward positions. The shoulder pads in the Primaris box with fiddly bits on the bottom edge of the pauldron also cause the arrows to fit very badly. Transfers are their own hell, but the 3d printed ones aren't a silver bullet.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Artum posted:

This looks great man

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Cooked Auto posted:

Who was it again who had that AdMech goblin army? I think it was a goon at least who did.
Mostly asking because a friend on Discord asked for pictures of it that i had linked before to him.
Not going through a 1600 page thread for them.

It wasn't a goon army, it was one that I played against last year at WHW. Some pictures from the Best Army cabinets in here: https://imgur.com/a/33QDt and from our game here: https://imgur.com/a/W4DaOKS

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Corrode posted:

It wasn't a goon army, it was one that I played against last year at WHW. Some pictures from the Best Army cabinets in here: https://imgur.com/a/33QDt and from our game here: https://imgur.com/a/W4DaOKS

There's also maybe Ghazk's grotcanicum?

Ghazk posted:

My Grotcanicum pulled best converted at the LVO 40K narrative!

More: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3823939&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1379#post491159877

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

oh drat I forgot about those. yeah that's probably what the guy is thinking of.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

It was yes, he managed to dig the pictures up himself after I linked him the thread.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Booley posted:

The imperial fist transfer sheet from their Xmas battleforce. Good luck finding it.

I still have them if someone wants them, since I made the battleforce crimson fists

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

What is going on in this picture?

Weird Space Marine ghost? Chaos guys marching?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Sergeant Burk Hardhuge astral projects through the battlefield.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Okay, I said I'd post some of the WIP shots of my crappy Repressor assembly I've been doing with my son, so here goes:

Dry-fit assembled with the doors up, more or less the look I'm going for. The gun slot on the top was shaved off a little close...not sure if I'll patch it or not. It might work for a battle-worn look. I'll decide later.

I magnetized the doors and I plan to add hinges to the side doors. Mostly I'll run these with the standard loadout, just a single heavy flamer, but wanted the option to swap them out AND give them an ability to swivel freely without falling off.

Doors down, side doors painted while back door is WIP. You can see where the magnet was added by the half moon-shape on the back door, which is a look I like overall. Side door magnets are relatively seamless.

Interior detail which no one will EVER see. It was fun to paint though. My kid and I have been painting these with some D&D models off and on when it rains. 3x repressors and miscellaneous D&D minis.

Another interior shot. Sorry for the bad focus here but I'm out of time.

It was a lot of fun to paint the instrument cluster but no one is gonna see it. I might go crazy and add an LED. I'm really enjoying assembling these overall. I hope to get some of the contrast paint next month and I'll post some comparison shots of the results my five year old gets using contrast paint vs. good old regular stuff.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gameko posted:

Okay, I said I'd post some of the WIP shots of my crappy Repressor assembly I've been doing with my son, so here goes:

Dry-fit assembled with the doors up, more or less the look I'm going for. The gun slot on the top was shaved off a little close...not sure if I'll patch it or not. It might work for a battle-worn look. I'll decide later.

I magnetized the doors and I plan to add hinges to the side doors. Mostly I'll run these with the standard loadout, just a single heavy flamer, but wanted the option to swap them out AND give them an ability to swivel freely without falling off.

Doors down, side doors painted while back door is WIP. You can see where the magnet was added by the half moon-shape on the back door, which is a look I like overall. Side door magnets are relatively seamless.

Interior detail which no one will EVER see. It was fun to paint though. My kid and I have been painting these with some D&D models off and on when it rains. 3x repressors and miscellaneous D&D minis.

Another interior shot. Sorry for the bad focus here but I'm out of time.

It was a lot of fun to paint the instrument cluster but no one is gonna see it. I might go crazy and add an LED. I'm really enjoying assembling these overall. I hope to get some of the contrast paint next month and I'll post some comparison shots of the results my five year old gets using contrast paint vs. good old regular stuff.

This looks awesome!

With regards to the LED, I bought this egg shaped little LED light for my bedside table that activates with a light tap and turns off after a couple of minutes. I opened it up and it's a tiny little board and battery, might work well for this sort of thing, it'll turn on when you place the model on the table after moving it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I've started a Judge Anderson for a friend who wants a Dredd themed Kill Team.

The gloss is a bit extreme so I'm gonna knock that back with matte and do the finer details. But I'm terrified of doing eyes.

e: we've just had a gently caress awful election here, and I've drinking scotch all night so I'll probably hate this figure in morning, but :shrug:

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 18, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Quick question, what's the right base size for a Smallmarine Watch Captain, 32mm or 40mm? I figure I might convert one or two.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Yvonmukluk posted:

Quick question, what's the right base size for a Smallmarine Watch Captain, 32mm or 40mm? I figure I might convert one or two.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Gameko posted:

As a compulsive magnetizer myself, I think this is awesome. Also, double-bonus props for Dadhammer.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Lizard Combatant posted:

The gloss is a bit extreme so I'm gonna knock that back with matte and do the finer details. But I'm terrified of doing eyes.

Something I've learned for eyes...I think it works best going dark to white to eye color.

Start with the deep color behind the eye white. For the dredd psycher girl I'd go with a dark brown. You can slop it in there because you want to cover the whole area and give the illusion of the eyelashes and underbrow shadow.

After that, create eye shape with white or ivory. This is more forgiving than you'd think. Use a fine brush and build on oval, checking as you go. You can always return to the back coat color if you screw up.

Finally, paint in the eye itself. I recall the dredd psycher had dark eyes, and I think I'd go with a super dark red or brown. If you build up the base eye as above this is pretty forgiving too. Paint a dot in there with a small brush, check, paint second dot, check. Look at the final result and adjust if necessary.

This method is way easier than just painting white with the eye and looks awesome. You'll get a defined iris without much effort because the dark color behind helps it pop. Before I learned this I did so much crap trying to get it right...even putting needle drops of paint in the sockets to try and determine the actual eye placement.

I'd share some of the models I painted with this method but my son and his friends played a lot with them and broke them so I threw them out. (D&D minis don't take punishment like warhams.) Here's an article that describes it really well though. I never bother with steps 5 and 6:

http://www.arcanepaintworks.com/blog-1/2016/6/9/6-step-eyes

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Gameko posted:

Something I've learned for eyes...I think it works best going dark to white to eye color.

Start with the deep color behind the eye white. For the dredd psycher girl I'd go with a dark brown. You can slop it in there because you want to cover the whole area and give the illusion of the eyelashes and underbrow shadow.

After that, create eye shape with white or ivory. This is more forgiving than you'd think. Use a fine brush and build on oval, checking as you go. You can always return to the back coat color if you screw up.

Finally, paint in the eye itself. I recall the dredd psycher had dark eyes, and I think I'd go with a super dark red or brown. If you build up the base eye as above this is pretty forgiving too. Paint a dot in there with a small brush, check, paint second dot, check. Look at the final result and adjust if necessary.

This method is way easier than just painting white with the eye and looks awesome. You'll get a defined iris without much effort because the dark color behind helps it pop. Before I learned this I did so much crap trying to get it right...even putting needle drops of paint in the sockets to try and determine the actual eye placement.

I'd share some of the models I painted with this method but my son and his friends played a lot with them and broke them so I threw them out. (D&D minis don't take punishment like warhams.) Here's an article that describes it really well though. I never bother with steps 5 and 6:

http://www.arcanepaintworks.com/blog-1/2016/6/9/6-step-eyes

That's really helpful, thanks!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lizard Combatant posted:

e: we've just had a gently caress awful election here, and I've drinking scotch all night so I'll probably hate this figure in morning, but :shrug:

Cassandra's looking really good there.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Dawgstar posted:

Cassandra's looking really good there.

Cheers!

I'm excited for the new plan for the eyes. I'm still a total newbie, so I don't know all these cool tricks.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Had a quick mess about with a sponge and some metals, inks and texture paints to try and ding up an old model as the red I painted it in a few years ago is a lot lighter than the Corsairs of been painting, so now at least he fits in nicely.

(yes it does say lol).

And with his new buds

richyp fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 18, 2019

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Righto!

Now then, I've got some Horus Heresy bits, so I think I might do one with the Thunder Hammer/Storm Shield/Jump Pack* Combo and another with a Lightning Claw instead of the hammer.

*Well, teleporter backpack from the Grey Knights Sprue.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

richyp posted:

Had a quick mess about with a sponge and some metals, inks and texture paints to try and ding up an old model as the red I painted it in a few years ago is a lot lighter than the Corsairs of been painting, so now at least he fits in nicely.

(yes it does say lol).

And with his new buds

Man I like seeing the old models.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Is there a special ruleset for playing with just a handful of figures? Say 5 - 10? I have a pretty good collection of adapetus mechanicus figures and am wanting to build up a necron army, and want to just play something very casual and quick with my wife. What books would I need to get?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I said come in! posted:

Is there a special ruleset for playing with just a handful of figures? Say 5 - 10? I have a pretty good collection of adapetus mechanicus figures and am wanting to build up a necron army, and want to just play something very casual and quick with my wife.

Kill Team!

https://warhammer40000.com/kill-team/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

God, I am silly! I feel like in the back of my mind I knew that GWS literally had what I was looking for. Thank you!

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I said come in! posted:

God, I am silly! I feel like in the back of my mind I knew that GWS literally had what I was looking for. Thank you!

From your history in the painting thread I can tell you're like me in the sense that you just buy and paint whatever looks cool, so yeah Kill Team is the perfect game for people like us to get some use out of our models when we're done painting them.

It's a pretty good feeling holding one kit and knowing it's an entire team to play with, too. Much less stress on the wallet.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PinheadSlim posted:

From your history in the painting thread I can tell you're like me in the sense that you just buy and paint whatever looks cool, so yeah Kill Team is the perfect game for people like us to get some use out of our models when we're done painting them.

It's a pretty good feeling holding one kit and knowing it's an entire team to play with, too. Much less stress on the wallet.

Exactly! I am at the point now where I am building up a lot of of certain factions too. At first I was all like, "actually play Warhammer? Not here not ever! :colbert: " but my attitude is starting to change now.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

Are any of the citadel mini scenery sets a good value?

They've got a lot of scenery at my flgs and it's generally pretty cool stuff. I'd like to spruce up my future table with some actual scenery.

Edit: To my mind, stuff like the mecboy workshop, mechanicus servohaulers, and the fragdrill make a lot of sense to purchase. You'd have trouble scratch building those.

Gameko fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Gameko posted:

Are any of the citadel mini scenery sets a good value?

They've got a lot of scenery at my flgs and it's generally pretty cool stuff. I'd like to spruce up my future table with some actual scenery.

Edit: To my mind, stuff like the mecboy workshop, mechanicus servohaulers, and the fragdrill make a lot of sense to purchase. You'd have trouble scratch building those.

Good value? Ehhhhhh...

Time saver? Absolutely.

I scratchbuild all my terrain because I'm a dirty poor and like turning trash into little huts for my little mans to stand in/around/on