Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Now on the Battle Dome episode. It's nice to see someone actually taking note of Ash's past accomplishments for once; normally they're never mentioned beyond Max making occasional snide comments about Ash never doing better than top 8 in League tournaments. Weird that the events of the second movie don't get mentioned, though; it feels like the movies are treated as canon in some of the episodes focusing on Legendaries from them but ignored the rest of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

Now on the Battle Dome episode. It's nice to see someone actually taking note of Ash's past accomplishments for once; normally they're never mentioned beyond Max making occasional snide comments about Ash never doing better than top 8 in League tournaments. Weird that the events of the second movie don't get mentioned, though; it feels like the movies are treated as canon in some of the episodes focusing on Legendaries from them but ignored the rest of the time.

It's almost as if the writers don't give a gently caress or something.

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I demand more attention to the plot from my children's shows

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I mean, kinda?
I'm watching Hilda right now, and like, 3 eps in and they're consistent about their characters and mythology.
Or, in descending order of relevance, Digimon Tamers, Gravity Falls, Adventure Time and Steven Universe are all kids shows that really pay off in big ways.

Granted, I dropped the pokemon cartoon early, but it's lack of interesting characters or development was a big reason as to why.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Flopsy posted:

It's almost as if the writers don't give a gently caress or something.

It’s almost like the writers deliberately leave Ash as nothing more than a representation of the target audience in the most generic way possible and deliberately ignore the fact that he should be a world-renown veteran trainer by this point. Like they keep him around just because they fear the backlash that might come from the few fans that either remember or still care about keeping him around despite the fact that they could have dumped him a decade ago and probably have worked out better than they do now.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Hustlin Floh posted:

I demand more attention to the plot from my children's shows

Same, but unironically.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

still not sure about furry Charizard. He needed more scales imo.

Please circle the fur you would like removed from Charizard:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i haven’t watched a kids cartoon in a while but ok ko looks like the best of them

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The movies aren't canon.

Also, Ash is ok and he doesn't really make the show worse by existing or whatever.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Mallow and Lana spinoff when

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Geostomp posted:

It’s almost like the writers deliberately leave Ash as nothing more than a representation of the target audience in the most generic way possible and deliberately ignore the fact that he should be a world-renown veteran trainer by this point. Like they keep him around just because they fear the backlash that might come from the few fans that either remember or still care about keeping him around despite the fact that they could have dumped him a decade ago and probably have worked out better than they do now.

You put that very succinctly yes.

Gruckles posted:

Same, but unironically.

Also yes. loving Star vs. The Forces of Evil is inching toward Game of Thrones levels of compelling for godsakes.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd bet the writers don't give a poo poo about Ash, they're afraid of moving on from Pikachu

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

I'd bet the writers don't give a poo poo about Ash, they're afraid of moving on from Pikachu

Use a different pikachu. Problem solved.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Flopsy posted:

Use a different pikachu. Problem solved.

they could also just use a different Ash. God knows there's an abundance of identical cousins in the pokeverse

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ash's Pikachu is killed and replaced by Detective Pikachu on the way to Galar.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The movies aren't canon.

Both the Lugia and Lucario movies are referenced in-series so that's clearly not true.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm surprised no one pointed it out yet

Detective Pikachu spoilers Pokemon fusion is coming for Gen 8

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The movies aren't canon.

Mewtwo Strikes Back is absolutely canon. They spent several episodes of the anime building up towards the movie.

oddium posted:

i haven’t watched a kids cartoon in a while but ok ko looks like the best of them

OK KO had a super awesome Cartoon Network cartoon crossover and then had a Captain Planet crossover with the original VAs for Kwame and the good Captain himself.

It also gave us the canon end to old-school webcomic RPG World after a decade of it being abandoned, so yeah, I'd say OK KO is pretty drat good!

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Vandar posted:

Mewtwo Strikes Back is absolutely canon. They spent several episodes of the anime building up towards the movie.

OK KO had a super awesome Cartoon Network cartoon crossover and then had a Captain Planet crossover with the original VAs for Kwame and the good Captain himself.

It also gave us the canon end to old-school webcomic RPG World after a decade of it being abandoned, so yeah, I'd say OK KO is pretty drat good!

The RPG World episode was especially sweet because its creator is one of the major story writers of the series.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Geostomp posted:

The RPG World episode was especially sweet because its creator is one of the major story writers of the series.

Major story writer? No no. He's the creator of OK KO, which makes it all the better.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Dienes posted:

Please circle the fur you would like removed from Charizard:

I also wasn't wearing my glasses OK

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

indigi posted:

signing up for this tournament has been the most arcane and frustrating process

seriously

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

indigi posted:

they could also just use a different Ash. God knows there's an abundance of identical cousins in the pokeverse

Ash with girl parts is too controversial though. Better make sure we stick to the status quo for another 1000 seasons or we might lose all those wildly passionate standard Ash fans. I mean he's got such a compelling character arc and all. Who knows what tournament he's inevitably going to lose at the last second will be next! Maybe Team rocket will do something wacky while that happens while the side characters try and fail to have character arcs. THRILLING NON STOP ACTION FOLKS.

edit: Holy poo poo I am bitter LMAO

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 19, 2019

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm surprised no one pointed it out yet

Detective Pikachu spoilers Pokemon fusion is coming for Gen 8

The Internet is awaiting this canonicity with eager hands and open maws

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Ash's Pikachu is killed and replaced by Detective Pikachu on the way to Galar.

Ash is killed, and his Pikachu teams up with Detective Pikachu on a Buddy Pikachu adventure to solve the case.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

:haibrow:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gruckles posted:

Ash is killed, and his Pikachu teams up with Detective Pikachu on a Buddy Pikachu adventure to solve the case.

See, now this has got potential. I like the cut of your jibe kid. Make jigglypuff a femme fatale and I think you got something.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

qnqnx posted:

The Internet is awaiting this canonicity with eager hands and open maws

Its been canon since Red/Green

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Kids are smart, Pokemon anime is just kinda rear end, no need to qualify it with "but it's supposed to be for children". However, kids also don't give a gently caress and will watch whatever catches their eyes, plus Pokemon games still sell like hotcakes so why bother.

Sun and Moon actually looks like it tries new poo poo to an extent tho.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Zore posted:

Its been canon since Red/Green

I regularly forget Gen 1 exists.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
They really should've let Ash win and become a champion of some region. It'd mean he gets to come back every now and then. And kids prefer new starters to Pikachu anyway ime with literal 10 year old relatives.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

RatHat posted:

seriously

hopefully now that I've done it once it'll be easy going forward, but I kinda doubt it

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

oddium posted:

, and its made by a goon!

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Nasgate posted:

They really should've let Ash win and become a champion of some region. It'd mean he gets to come back every now and then. And kids prefer new starters to Pikachu anyway ime with literal 10 year old relatives.

I mean, if nothing else, he made it all the way to the finals in Kalos, which is the best he's ever done in a proper Regional League tournament. And he put up a drat strong fight against a trainer who had received tons of setup thanks to the Mega Evolution shorts before his appearance in the main series.

I'm okay with him losing tournaments, as long as it's a BELIEVABLE loss to a character who'd received some measure of characterization and setup.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BlazetheInferno posted:

I mean, if nothing else, he made it all the way to the finals in Kalos, which is the best he's ever done in a proper Regional League tournament. And he put up a drat strong fight against a trainer who had received tons of setup thanks to the Mega Evolution shorts before his appearance in the main series.

I'm okay with him losing tournaments, as long as it's a BELIEVABLE loss to a character who'd received some measure of characterization and setup.

I know I've essentially flogged this horse into a fine mush by now but honestly I just want a different main character. At this point I think I'll take just about anything as long as it's not Ash. And it's genuinely sad because I loved him as a kid, but when you keep shilling the same character and reverting any development or change they get every season eventually you just resent them for stifling everything else. I would've loved it if he had a couple arcs won a tournament then went on to become a mentor to younger trainers or something. That would've been fine, but the fact he's always ten and every season is a repeat and all other characters get derailed to fit into his narrative is just a massive bummer. Especially when the games get interesting characters or story telling it gets thrown in the trash. Look at what they did to Lusamine in the anime. Christ even worse at look at what they did to N. Nobody can be TOO interesting so they have to bland themselves down so they don't outshine Ash. And seeing as he's just a stock shonen personality it means a lot has to get cut to try and keep him relevant.

Flopsy fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 19, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I always disliked Ash and Pikachu because even as a kid I thought Raichu looked way better. The only exception is gen 1 chungus Pikachu.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Lusamine is better in the anime tbh.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Lusamine is better in the anime tbh.

Out of curiosity what makes her better for you?

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I really appreciate that Pikachu is a cute little rodent who slays everything in his path, and also that Ash likes that he's cute!

I did prefer fat Pikachu tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Flopsy posted:

Out of curiosity what makes her better for you?

Not hard to do better than plain cardboard with a really boring aesthetic.