Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

what did he do, sex pest? racist rant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

what did he do, sex pest? racist rant?

The first one I guess:

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/2019/04/29/fred-akshar-relations-with-murder-victim-mother-masciarelli/3413392002/

It's apparently somewhat known by people in the Southern Tier law enforcement/legal community that Akshar did shady poo poo like this while he was with the Broome Sheriff's dept. There are also rumors that he's not crazy about Albany and would rather run for Broome Sheriff next election (2021? 2022?). The current sheriff is Extremely Old and has been in office for like 20 years, but Akshar would be a bad sheriff, much like he is a bad senator.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Glambags posted:

The first one I guess:

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/2019/04/29/fred-akshar-relations-with-murder-victim-mother-masciarelli/3413392002/

It's apparently somewhat known by people in the Southern Tier law enforcement/legal community that Akshar did shady poo poo like this while he was with the Broome Sheriff's dept. There are also rumors that he's not crazy about Albany and would rather run for Broome Sheriff next election (2021? 2022?). The current sheriff is Extremely Old and has been in office for like 20 years, but Akshar would be a bad sheriff, much like he is a bad senator.

Here's hoping he quits to run and then loses.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Here's hoping he quits to run and then loses.

:yeah:

Akshar also had a minor controversy stemming from his banging a senate staffer who's pay increased significantly after she started working for him. Not a good look, Fred

https://www.pressconnects.com/story/news/2018/07/03/fred-akshar-dating-former-staffer/750923002/

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i've heard that Akshar is very popular in his district, but he also lost 20% of the vote in his last re-election to a blank ballot, so i'm sure a lot of people aren't thrilled with him

Binghamton University has a downtown campus building and last i checked, they still have a plaque hanging in the lobby dedicated to Tom Libous

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 18:24 on May 5, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

man, this article sucks. if you're going to talk about how there's a split between black establishment democrats and their progressive counterparts (which, they make very clear, are "mostly white"), you could at least get quotes from a black progressive legislator. like Robert Jackson, say, or Zellnor Myrie

i know it's the times but that article's been a thorn in my side since i first read it

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

get that OUT of my face posted:

i've heard that Akshar is very popular in his district, but he also lost 20% of the vote in his last re-election to a blank ballot, so i'm sure a lot of people aren't thrilled with him

Binghamton University has a downtown campus building and last i checked, they still have a plaque hanging in the lobby dedicated to Tom Libous

Libous was an utterly corrupt scumbag but he was powerful in the state senate so he actually got some stuff for the area, and in a place like Binghamton it doesn't take much to impress people

Donna Lupardo reps Binghamton and parts of the surrounding towns in the assembly and is a democrat, and she is pretty good I guess, but once you get out of the city and its immediate surroundings/places where university students live its chud central. Akshar is unsurprisingly very popular with rural chuds who love cops

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

nobody really thought Tiffany Caban had a shot, including Tiffany Caban herself. hopefully she wins in spite of the fact that her campaign wasn't truly prepared, she has a lot of support from progressive groups

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:05 on May 7, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What the gently caress?!

https://twitter.com/carolynryan/status/1127974346314719232

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cops breaking the law? impossible

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

speaking of BdB, i'm not going to support or vote for him in the primaries, but i'm glad he's running all the same because it makes the NY media class mad. if cuomo ran those same people would be getting in line to suck his dick

as it stands, he's already running for a fourth term and those shitlibs only talked about it for one day with zero editorializing. somebody lead him to an open flame so his hair catches fire and he immolates

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 13:58 on May 16, 2019

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
LMAO at today’s Post cover

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CaptainPsyko posted:

LMAO at today’s Post cover
i didn't see it because none of the bodegas near me carry the Post

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1128979869726121985

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

meh, i've seen better

speaking of elections, i'm sure many people didn't know that there was a special election this Tuesday to fill Jumaane Williams's vacant city council seat. don't worry, that district didn't really know either. even though there were a bunch of people running, it ultimately came down to two candidates. Monique Waterman worked in his office in some capacity and works for a nonprofit. she was endorsed by the more progressive voices in Central Brooklyn- assemblymember Diana Richardson, state senator Zellnor Myrie, and Jumaane Williams

the other candidate, and the one who ended up winning, was Farah Louis. she was endorsed by a rogue's gallery of lovely characters- Brooklyn Dem chair Frank Seddio, the PBA, Palestine denier Kalman Yeger, and consistent homophobe Chaim Deutsch. tellingly, she wasn't endorsed by Jumaane even though she was his chief of staff, which she didn't take very well, throwing a tantrum at her son's football practice after hearing the news. the Daily News did the timeless tactic of digging up years-old tweets she made showing disgust at a Scarlett Johansson/Sandra Bullock kiss on TV, and joking around with someone about Jews. those don't bother me because that was nine years ago and people change, and she did apologize for it

what really turned me against Louis outside of her endorsements is that her campaign manager, Samual Pierre, had previously been convicted for using his position with former congressman Ed Towns to scam Haitian immigrants. she's Haitian herself and didn't comment on the story. anyone who preys on their own community is a true lowlife. she has to run for re-election in the primary in less than a month so we'll see what happens then

what will be interesting to see is if there are further fractures between Democrats in this part of Brooklyn. assemblymember (and female district leader) Rodneyse Bichotte, also of Haitian descent, not only endorsed Louis but had some angry words to say about Jumaane. only three months before, she was one of his campaign higher-ups. she's been hard to pin down in terms of whether she's pushing for party reform or sticking with the machine, but it looks more clear who she's siding with now. we'll see how things go from here because it may get uglier

finally, here's Frank Seddio being a creep

https://twitter.com/RossBarkan/status/1128479811561775104

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

cops breaking the law? impossible

Upstate NY representing

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2019/05/girlfriend-beaten-by-syracuse-cop-speaks-out-my-sufferingbecame-his-safety.html

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

upstate posters are always appreciated itt, always good to have a different perspective on state politics

good news and bad news about the New York Health Act. bad news is that its primary sponsors don't think it'll pass this session, and given that momentum is around renewing rent laws, i don't think so either. there will be hearings by the end of the month. good news is that Tim Kennedy of Buffalo and Andrew Gounardes of south Brooklyn have signed on, bringing it to 31 sponsors. DSA members will be going to Diane Savino's office to talk about it. i also encourage calling Todd Kaminsky, who supported it before and is on the health committee. James Skoufis voted for it in the Assembly and two freshmen senators on Long Island supported it on the campaign trail. burn those phones up

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Cabán’s people just knocked on my door for (afaik) the first time

June 25th is that primary btw

hot sorcery
Apr 11, 2009

if all they do is renew them we’re hosed. the current laws are bleeding rent stabilised apartments and are full of loopholes. we’re trying to get them to pass the nine different bills that make up universal rent control so we actually have some protections (salazar’s “good cause eviction” bill being vital). i was up in albany on tuesday for it!

galacticacid they canvassed my dad while i was at work, i think they’ve secured the crucial kiwi vote :3:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

get that OUT of my face posted:

good news and bad news about the New York Health Act. bad news is that its primary sponsors don't think it'll pass this session, and given that momentum is around renewing rent laws, i don't think so either. there will be hearings by the end of the month. good news is that Tim Kennedy of Buffalo and Andrew Gounardes of south Brooklyn have signed on, bringing it to 31 sponsors. DSA members will be going to Diane Savino's office to talk about it. i also encourage calling Todd Kaminsky, who supported it before and is on the health committee. James Skoufis voted for it in the Assembly and two freshmen senators on Long Island supported it on the campaign trail. burn those phones up

Had no idea this was still alive

https://www.thenation.com/article/single-payer-new-york-health-act/

quote:

Unfortunately, New York’s governor is not eager to lead the way. In March, Cuomo said that if the legislature passes the NYHA, he will sign it but “no sane person will pass it.” He has essentially dared the legislature to try: “You want to do that? Let’s go…. Every union is against it…. The Civil Service Employees Association is against it. The 1199 health-care union is against it.”

So wait - why are union members and retirees who receive health care benefits mad at single-payer?

Assuming they get the same or similar health coverage through New York Health Act, are they mad they paid union dues for nothing?

Or is it just a selfish boomer thing?

EugeneJ has issued a correction as of 03:51 on May 18, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EugeneJ posted:

So wait - why are union members and retirees who receive health care benefits mad at single-payer?

Assuming they get the same or similar health coverage through New York Health Act, are they mad they paid union dues for nothing?

Fear that more people in systems similar to theirs will lower their quality of service, I think. For unions it also has to do with less to offer employees, especially with Janus v. AFSCME.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

if the union no longer bargains for healthcare they worry they will have a lower standard of care with no way to gently caress over new hires by selling them out to maintain benefits like they do now

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Real hurthling! posted:

if the union no longer bargains for healthcare they worry they will have a lower standard of care with no way to gently caress over new hires by selling them out to maintain benefits like they do now

Ah, tiered membership, the best way forward for a sustainable union.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

also if i got free healthcare i might consider not busting my rear end for the DOE for 30 years

a woman retiring soon told me today she feels like a bubble tea straw was jammed in her neck and the doe sucked her soul out lmao.

at least im not tier 6 tho. yikes.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So if I'm reading you guys right - dues from the younger union members pay off the benefits for the union retirees (health benefits/pensions), and if workers opt out of joining the union en masse (Janus v. AFSCME), the retirees will be forced onto single-payer and have no money to fund their pensions

That is indeed a conundrum

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GalacticAcid posted:

Cabán’s people just knocked on my door for (afaik) the first time

June 25th is that primary btw

As one of those door knockers Im seeing more and more people being excited about voting for her.

Most people dont even know that theres an election coming lol

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

EugeneJ posted:

They do not share your assumption, re: same coverage.

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Yeah most of the unions fear that if single payer is passed, that employer provided insurance as a negotiated benefit will cease and that they will be unable to negotiate for much, if any, of that value, and that their members will end up with worse health insurance and nothing to show for it.

It's kind of myopic and I wish my union supported a broader leftist agenda but here we are.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

imagine if the dept of ed was like ok heres a 25-30% raise to all employees now that theres no healthcare costs. mmm its fun to daydream

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss
Currently if I opt out of my health plan (I have to prove I'm otherwise covered, say, from a spouse's insurance or something) I would get about 3k, and my understanding is it would save the MTA about 11k, though those numbers may be somewhat out of date.

If single payer passed on the state level I don't even know what the MTA would do. Lots of our employees live in NJ, I doubt just blanket dropping health insurance would fly (it would violate the current contract, which is also expired but w/e) but I'm sure they'd want to negotiate down to something that costs them about 3k or less a year per employee.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the compromise is probably to grandfather current members to their contract plans so they stay out the way and let it become a negligable issue 50 years down the line. in this pipe dream scenario we would be murdering bloomberg and liquidating his estate to fund the scheme btw.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Shageletic posted:

As one of those door knockers Im seeing more and more people being excited about voting for her.

Most people dont even know that theres an election coming lol

dusting off my minivan app to go canvassing tomorrow, woot

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

AOC just endorsed Cabán:

https://twitter.com/CabanForQueens/status/1131155033444241408

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

unions in NY are shortsighted and elitist as gently caress on this and other issues. it's why i can't help but laugh, just a little bit, at TWU crying foul at using police to enforce overtime. they've been cuomo's loudest and most assholish defenders and now they're getting their just desserts. don't trust that fucker

and yes, the poster who pointed out "renewing the rent laws" isn't good enough is right. that's why there are nine bills that will strengthen them even more, it's a question of how many of them will get passed. expanding the rent laws across the state and good cause eviction seem to have gotten the most flack from other lawmakers, especially upstate. i'll post a pic of the nine when i get home. i'd argue this is the more important thing to do in the short term. tenant organizations have been working on overdrive to get them all passed

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 15:05 on May 23, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Is it just my cynicism that whenever I see something like this I always think there's horrible interests behind it?

https://twitter.com/SayYEStoPets/status/1129381784733589504

I'll save you the trouble: they're against S4234*/A6298, prohibiting the sale of cats, dogs, and rabbits by retail pet shops.

* And not, as they write, S4232, which wants to study the effects of closing long-term care facilities.

These are basically puppy mill lobbyists, right?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

andrew cuomo will personally pick everyones dogs from now on.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its cool the mta installed all these flatscreen ad boards everywhere to waste power in a climate crisis and add heat to the platform in summer

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

its cool the mta installed all these flatscreen ad boards everywhere to waste power in a climate crisis and add heat to the platform in summer
don't blame cuomo for that, the bootlicker media never will

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

as promised, here's an overview of the bills being proposed to strengthen the rent laws

unfortunately, not all of them are in good shape to pass. the Assembly sent forth a package of eight of them, which didn't include Good Cause Eviction. additionally, there's some hesitancy to take up a locality opt-in for rent regulations, abolishing MCIs entirely, and IAI increases. many upstate legislators are against Good Cause Eviction and the rent law opt-in (Hunter is from the Syracuse area and is very much one of the only voices for all of these bills upstate). there are notable stragglers closer to home: Assemblymember Tremaine Wright in Bedstuy argues that her district is made up of homeowners and it won't help them out (bullshit, i rented in that district and had a notably bad time with the landlord), and Todd Kaminsky in Nassau hasn't signed up for a single one of these bills in the Senate

there are actions and hearings planned all across the state. i'm going to a day of action in Crown Heights on Saturday, June 1, and every Tuesday there are buses going up to Albany to press lawmakers to pass all of the bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
First hearing on the New York Health Act was last night in Albany, and this jumped out at me:

https://www.timesunion.com/news/article/At-packed-hearing-NY-lawmakers-weigh-13902161.php

quote:

"I have concerns about tinkering — not tinkering, basically destroying — the current system and rolling the dice for less than a half a million people," said Republican Assemblyman Andrew Raia, referring to the number of uninsured New Yorkers when you exclude undocumented and certain legal immigrants, as well as those who might gain coverage if New York expanded its Essential Plan.

For those who are wondering what the Essential Plan is:

https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2018/09/19/why-the-essential-plan-is-a-health-care-success-in.html

quote:

Authorized as part of the Affordable Care Act, the Essential Plan (EP) is available to low-income New Yorkers who don’t qualify for Medicaid or Child Health Plus. New York is one of two states in the nation that took advantage of federal dollars to create what’s called a Basic Health Plan, which offers an affordable option for consumers earning below 200 percent of the federal poverty level (about $50,000 for a family of four). Here in New York, the Basic Health Plan is called the Essential Plan.

Dems are trying to push this bill through:

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/health/2018/11/01/federal-bill-new-york-essential-plan-health-coverage/1847578002/

quote:

The Basic Health Program Expansion Act of 2018 aims to build on enrollment through the state-run Affordable Care Act exchange. It would make New York’s Essential Plan available to people with incomes up to $48,560, doubling the income cap from its current $24,280.

How would everyone here feel about free/cheap healthcare for everyone making under $48,560 instead of single-payer?