Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Mel Mudkiper posted:

that stuff is genre
the argument was about critically analyzing genre
this is a thread for talking about the critical analysis of genre

so gently caress off

you've contributed nothing of value to either version of this thread

Oh, Mel. I contributed more to the previous thread in my three pages of posts than you did in twenty.

Besides, you didn't critically analyze poo poo. You came here to basically do some weird Helldump-esque 'get a load of this guy, haha' thing. Yeah, real good insightful stuff there, Mel. You really got down into the details of why Power Rangers and Dragonball Z's plots aren't good or whatever, great critical looking. Good work.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Mrenda posted:

In a dose of authors being so, so close.

https://twitter.com/ChuckWendig/status/1127965203335745536

Stories are for children.

quoting myself from another thread

Tim Burns Effect posted:

joss whedon should be locked in guantanamo for influencing an entire generation to write like this

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Oh, Mel. I contributed more to the previous thread in my three pages of posts than you did in twenty.

Besides, you didn't critically analyze poo poo. You came here to basically do some weird Helldump-esque 'get a load of this guy, haha' thing. Yeah, real good insightful stuff there, Mel. You really got down into the details of why Power Rangers and Dragonball Z's plots aren't good or whatever, great critical looking. Good work.

stop posting

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Also, don't do this

I'm going to have to pull this car RIGHT over aren't I >_<

I'd prefer you didn't if only because the people who want to undermine the thread would consider it a "win"

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Ish? I think his Great God's War is better than Covenant.

a thing i particularly liked about covenant is that donaldson said that he planned the third trilogy while writing the second and so put in "back doors" or something, so there are occasional moments in the second triology where characters just give huge exposition dumps about things that are never mentioned again solely so that they can be brought out in the later books

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
should just permaban Mel now and get it over with

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

should just permaban Mel now and get it over with

for?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

consistently holding minority opinions in children's media threads

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
can I delete my own post? time to find out

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

It borrows pretty heavily from Chinese Fantasy, and has spaceships and aliens.

*sucks teeth*
Oooh, don't say that! Mel will come and kick the poo poo out of you for saying that Journey to the West is fantasy.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Wait can we still talk DBZ?

Cause I can think of a few tropes that Malazan borrows but I'm far too lazy to write a post about it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jaxyon posted:

Wait can we still talk DBZ?

Cause I can think of a few tropes that Malazan borrows but I'm far too lazy to write a post about it.

Joke answer: only the manga or printed spin-off matter, not the show. Books only!

real answer: as long as you're talking about a work of media and not other posters it's probbly fine

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Joke answer: only the manga or printed spin-off matter, not the show. Books only!

real answer: as long as you're talking about a work of media and not other posters it's probbly fine

Eh, I'm only partly serious. Though the DBZ "guy relentlessly built as badass, is punked with zero effort by NEW badass guy" is done a lot.

Though instead of being a enemy to train for a season and then defeat, necessitating even more powerful enemies, it's played different, more of a "there's always a bigger badass" commentary

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
hello, I'm new here

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

okay its time to define some terms: a bee bit my bottom now my bottoms big

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Comrade Cheggorsky posted:

okay its time to define some terms: a bee bit my bottom now my bottoms big
that's interesting, i sliced my bottom off in a single clean movement and six new cheeks bubbled out of the hole like lusty toadstools

Nerdburger_Jansen
Jan 1, 2019

The_White_Crane posted:

*sucks teeth*
Oooh, don't say that! Mel will come and kick the poo poo out of you for saying that Journey to the West is fantasy.

Fantasy was invented in response to the atomic bomb. It's utterly ludicrous to say that anything before that was fantasy.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Mrenda posted:

In a dose of authors being so, so close.

What is he "so, so close" to?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

ToxicFrog posted:

What is he "so, so close" to?

""Plot-Driven" is something of a myth. It's kinda mostly sorta not a thing" - Plot isn't a thing. Plot forward writing is no better than a wikipedia article. Although novels are artificial, created by someone, it should be up to the reader to do the most human of things and turn it into their story. If the writing is grounded in the immediate experience, the effect of the words and prose, it's the flow of ideas in a moment that translates to an effect felt, maybe intellectualised, appreciated. "What happens next" isn't true to lived experienced, you can feel anticipation for what is to come, but the anticipation is the first level of effect not the "next thing" that can't be known. Story, narrative, plot are all higher level experiences, made retrospectively, to make sense of what was experienced. "Plot-driven" is a contextualisation of experience, of events, without giving credence to what was experienced, what the truth of those events were in their instance.

If you look at it like a history of events, history has to make sense of what's happened, but it isn't giving the historian the experience of what's happening. I'd say a reader is both living the events and the historian afterwards, cataloguing and making sense of those events. Plot-driven is making the reader into the historian after the event while they're still in the moment of reading.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Mrenda posted:

""Plot-Driven" is something of a myth. It's kinda mostly sorta not a thing" - Plot isn't a thing. Plot forward writing is no better than a wikipedia article. Although novels are artificial, created by someone, it should be up to the reader to do the most human of things and turn it into their story. If the writing is grounded in the immediate experience, the effect of the words and prose, it's the flow of ideas in a moment that translates to an effect felt, maybe intellectualised, appreciated. "What happens next" isn't true to lived experienced, you can feel anticipation for what is to come, but the anticipation is the first level of effect not the "next thing" that can't be known. Story, narrative, plot are all higher level experiences, made retrospectively, to make sense of what was experienced. "Plot-driven" is a contextualisation of experience, of events, without giving credence to what was experienced, what the truth of those events were in their instance.

If you look at it like a history of events, history has to make sense of what's happened, but it isn't giving the historian the experience of what's happening. I'd say a reader is both living the events and the historian afterwards, cataloguing and making sense of those events. Plot-driven is making the reader into the historian after the event while they're still in the moment of reading.

Indeed. It would be far more effective and productive to think of novels as noumena-driven.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
[Seinfeld voice but dressed as Oedipus] ...numen!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Nerdburger_Jansen posted:

Fantasy was invented in response to the atomic bomb. It's utterly ludicrous to say that anything before that was fantasy.

What's that make The Hobbit?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

What's that make The Hobbit?

A fairy tale

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/GerryMcBride/status/1129318920064786432

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Yeah, Paw Patrol promotes fascism to toddlers, it’s hardly news

e: https://medium.com/s/story/paw-patrol-is-a-republican-dystopia-f178161fce54

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fair I guess

When does LOTR turn from fairy tale to fantasy?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Fair I guess

Read Tolkien's "On Fairy-Stories" if you want his own insight into this, he does not frame it in the context of modern genre fantasy of course

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

my bony fealty posted:

Read Tolkien's "On Fairy-Stories" if you want his own insight into this, he does not frame it in the context of modern genre fantasy of course

Oh cool, I'll give that a read later, thanks!

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

RBA Starblade posted:

Fair I guess

the entire journey from the shire to gondor and back is a transition from fairy stories to epic. the change is reflected in the language itself, both the dialogue and the narration. thats why the opening chapters in fellowship are all jaunty and lighthearted and by the climax of return it's all "lo, forsooth"

the hobbit does the same thing in the transition from the shire to Erebor and back, though its more playful throughout and never goes quite as KJV as LOTR does

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Yeah, Paw Patrol promotes fascism to toddlers, it’s hardly news

e: https://medium.com/s/story/paw-patrol-is-a-republican-dystopia-f178161fce54

The paw patrol is about the evils of private enterprise, yet the author complains the team is led by a police (government) dog.

Later the author complains that no one is a heroic government employee.

I don't even know.

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
i'm going to make a children's cartoon that teaches them about an alternative world, one where the united states is the enemy and all men, women and children are equal in the eyes of heaven as long as they can transform into dragons, if they can't transform into dragons they're useless and relegated to cannon fodder and, in later seasons, food for the villains

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The paw patrol is about the evils of private enterprise, yet the author complains the team is led by a police (government) dog.

I don't even know.

A coherent liberal refutation of fascism is impossible.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

I don't even know.

Maybe you'd know if you actually read the review.

quote:

As for the show’s relationship to society and government, Adventure Bay seems to have no municipal services or social safety net. There is no public fire department, police force, or health care system. Instead, the residents rely on a Blackwater-style private enterprise that offers policing, firefighting, medical, trash and recycling services, and assorted search and rescue services

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The review has an entire section about how Chase is a symbol of state power and authority, then turns around and argues he's symbolic of PMCs.

The review you claim I haven't read posted:

Although Paw Patrol never shows any monetary transactions, it is not a huge leap to assume the team is paid for by the taxpayers of Adventure Bay.

So a show without money is simultaneously about rapacious corporate abuse and the power of the state. Why is it invalid to see the dogs as government employees? The review spent the entire first section explaining that the police drone is evil because a Predator can kill people and spy on them for the government.

I assume he similarly eschews watching the Food Network because the knives remind him of the 1,691 people in the US murdered by knives every year.

The Thomas the Tank Engine one is both more plausible and more amusing, IMO.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

holy poo poo.. you're telling me that an american children's cartoon is fascist.. we got loving adorno's reincarnation over here

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

A coherent liberal refutation of fascism is impossible.

Go on

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The person who wrote the review thinks that "in keeping" is a single word, as does the editor.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
yall really out here reading a 1500 word analysis of paw patrol huh

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mrenda posted:

I feel this is a criticism of the term rather than the feeling. Like, when people say they want to read on to see what happens next, I think it's fair to interpret that as they're enjoying the immediate feeling of suspense and uncertainty. So criticism of "plot driven" novels is kind of silly, it should be criticisn of, I dunno, anticipatory novels, that have the expectation of epiphany.

Like a lot of this thread, it's an issue of better readers slash reviewers, rather than better novels

Edit: also while "fantasy began as a response to ww2" is an awful statement. I can see the logic behind it, but pedagogically you can't just take a vernacular term and then criticise it by interpreting it in a very specific academic way. If you have a much more precise definition of fantasy, then you've gotta convince the general public that your definition is more meaningful than the popular meaning, or else nobody is gonna listen to your (really very valid) analysis. We've seen this so many times across the forums--like when BotL blundered into the spider-verse thread and was trying to make takedowns of people using "heroic" "psychedelic" and "tragic" colloquially by interpreting them in a strict academic sense. At that point any meaningful analysis is indistinguishable from pedantry.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 00:03 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Edit: also while "fantasy began as a response to ww2" is an awful statement. I can see the logic behind it, but pedagogically you can't just take a vernacular term and then criticise it by interpreting it in a very specific academic way. If you have a much more precise definition of fantasy, then you've gotta convince the general public that your definition is more meaningful than the popular meaning, or else nobody is gonna listen to your (really very valid) analysis. We've seen this so many times across the forums--like when BotL blundered into the spider-verse thread and was trying to make takedowns of people using "heroic" "psychedelic" and "tragic" colloquially by interpreting them in a strict academic sense. At that point any meaningful analysis is indistinguishable from pedantry.
Nerdburger was sarcastically referencing Mel's ideas about the 20th-century rise to prominence of fantasy (response to WWI) and sci-fi (response to nukes).

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 19, 2019