Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I’ve listened to the companion podcast and enjoyed it but I gotta say I wish they went into even more detail. And obviously this is contingent on the actors free time but it would have been awesome to have some round table stuff from them. I’m hoping this gets a cool Blu-ray release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trevor Hale posted:

Expanse is also done shooting, I believe

......done shooting season 4.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Rocksicles posted:

......done shooting season 4.

Yes. Sorry.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Silly me to think that this thread would remain free of Tankies.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Silly me to think that this thread would remain free of Tankies.

Salty liberal sad that you won't be able to stay in your McMansion for very long

you wouldn't know what a tankie was if one bit you in the rear end

looking forward you waving tiki torches with the rest of the alt-right when you don't get your way

Phi230 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on May 18, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh dear loving christ take it to D&D.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the ussr should've nuked the us, at least privileged stupid libs would be dead

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Wait...is this the Watch Thread?

If so: death to capitalism! bring out the choppy bois! :derp:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

imo we should grant all power to the worker soviets

Mystery Opponent
Sep 27, 2006

but u was a real nigga
i could sense it in u
I grew up in a suburb of Kiev and the block next to me housed a bunch of folks that evacuated from that area. I was but a wee lad back then and didn't really know any details about the accident, but apparently areas close to my grandparent's house (about 80's miles to the west of pripyat) were irradiated and off limits. Anyway, what I love about this show is how accurately it captures the look of 80's USSR. The look of the apartments, the clothing, those eyeglasses that women wear, whoever worked on costumes and set design for Chernobyl did a bang up job. It *feels* like the ussr even though everyone speaks english

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Wait...is this the Watch Thread?

If so: death to capitalism! bring out the choppy bois! :derp:

*in bill skarsgard as It voice*
"down here in the watch thread, we're all bourgeois"

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Phi230 posted:

yeah I hate my dad too

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Phi230 posted:

Chernobyl has shown us that they would've probably just mucked it up and gulaged the soviets that were ostensibly in charge

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
show is real good, op. i hope more ppl are watching

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
My Croatian girlfriend pointed out all the old Soviet stuff she recognized from her family life. A phone, a bunch of curtains, a bunch of other stuff. Seems authentic enough.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

My family just stopped eating mushrooms, produce, and a bunch of other poo poo for several years, and I didn't understand why until like the 2000s or so.

Welp, that's my first-hand account of people mildly affected by this, thanks for listening.

In other news, this show is loving amazing.

The one thing that leaves me wanting is the composite character that Emily Watson portrays, but I understand how the whole background there would have been extremely hard to turn into non-tedious viewing for TV.

Two friends of mine from high school ended up being nuclear physicists, and one of them is a proper Chernobyl sperglord that outlined how crazy the clandestine communication / analysis between several Soviet power stations and scientific centers was at the time. There's enough material for an entire spinoff there.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Non-relatedly: Any Russian-speaking hoons in here that can relay and translate the messages broadcast from the loudspeaker-vans that were driving through Pripyat before the evacuation?

I'm looking for the broadcast that kept recurring throughout the second half of the show trailer that was so well done and conveyed this really visceral sense of dread.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Two friends of mine from high school ended up being nuclear physicists, and one of them is a proper Chernobyl sperglord that outlined how crazy the clandestine communication / analysis between several Soviet power stations and scientific centers was at the time. There's enough material for an entire spinoff there.

The amount of secrecy and compartmentalizing of information was another contributing root cause for why the disaster occured.

A plant near Leningrad had a near miss event but due to Soviet information/damage control other plant operators didn't learn about the incident.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Non-relatedly: Any Russian-speaking hoons in here that can relay and translate the messages broadcast from the loudspeaker-vans that were driving through Pripyat before the evacuation?

I'm looking for the broadcast that kept recurring throughout the second half of the show trailer that was so well done and conveyed this really visceral sense of dread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l3g3m8Vrgs

Turn on subtitles.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Thank you so much!

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
vnimaniye vnimaniye

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRL7o2kPqw0

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Someone on Reddit found the mural from the start of ep 2: https://sovietmosaicsinukraine.org/en/mosaic/81 it's in Kiev.

Plenty more on the site and FB page although they are slowly being demolished with the old buildings.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBNFvZ6Vr2U

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe
Ukrainian and Russian are pretty much mutually intelligible, right

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
From my understanding yes though there are some false friends between their vocab, much like among the Scandinavian languages.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Mystery Opponent posted:

I grew up in a suburb of Kiev and the block next to me housed a bunch of folks that evacuated from that area. I was but a wee lad back then and didn't really know any details about the accident, but apparently areas close to my grandparent's house (about 80's miles to the west of pripyat) were irradiated and off limits. Anyway, what I love about this show is how accurately it captures the look of 80's USSR. The look of the apartments, the clothing, those eyeglasses that women wear, whoever worked on costumes and set design for Chernobyl did a bang up job. It *feels* like the ussr even though everyone speaks english

*in bill skarsgard as It voice*
"down here in the watch thread, we're all bourgeois"

I noticed from episode 1 that all of the characters are wearing their wedding bands on their right hands so A+ Good Job to the costuming department! :thumbsup:

edit:

also, there are some great memes in the GBS thread

Toxic Fart Syndrome fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 19, 2019

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

Only tangentially related, but also on the "horrifying invisible death" wavelength: Anyone got a link to the YouTube video of that kid who mail ordered a big fuckoff Russian vacuum tube, hooked it up to an over-voltaged power source, got it to produce the Cherenkov effect and then *held his hand in front of the beam* to see an X-ray of his hand on a piece of paper? He lived, though I believe his hand was irreversibly damaged.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

thought this research reactor pulsing video was neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdkKxQotsro

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Christ that's like something out of a David Lynch film.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Leviathan posted:

Ukrainian and Russian are pretty much mutually intelligible, right

all the slavic languages are faaaairly closely related, especially ukrainian/russian though once you get to polish it's a fair bit distinct from all the cyrillic languages on account of using a different alphabet entirely. Even ukrainian/russian has a few letters difference. As the other poster brought up, lots of false friends too, ex, глаз and ока for eye. at the start of episode 2 you hear the radio playing a broadcast and the subtitles call it Ukrainian, my Ukrainian friend went "nope, that's Russian" when I asked him as we watched and specifically cited the glaz/oka thing. :v:

a good point of comparison if you want to get an idea of the differences is like trying to read scottish english.

something else to note is that under the USSR, mostly only Russian was taught in schools. My friend who grew up in Ukraine knows both languages, but he can really only read/write Russian well since all his Ukrainian was learned at home from his parents or from friends.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Crusader posted:

thought this research reactor pulsing video was neat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdkKxQotsro

Ah running to the nuke plant and back was always fun. It was a a perfect 9 mile route.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Duzzy Funlop posted:

My family just stopped eating mushrooms, produce, and a bunch of other poo poo for several years, and I didn't understand why until like the 2000s or so.

Welp, that's my first-hand account of people mildly affected by this, thanks for listening.

In other news, this show is loving amazing.

The one thing that leaves me wanting is the composite character that Emily Watson portrays, but I understand how the whole background there would have been extremely hard to turn into non-tedious viewing for TV.

I was three months old and in an orphanage in Denmark at pretty much the time period covered by this thing.

It's a Danish tradition to sleep with windows open.

I'm gonna die of loving cancer aren't I?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

RagnarokZ posted:

I was three months old and in an orphanage in Denmark at pretty much the time period covered by this thing.

Probably, but due to all of the other carcinogens your body has accumulated in your lifetime.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

RagnarokZ posted:

Prostate cancer, if you're male and nothing else gets you first.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, evidently it's pretty common even in men who never presented with prostate cancer to have 'microtumors' in them, or so it's been found when they do really in-depth cadaver autopsies/dissections in med school.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
The whole 2-4 megaton thing: Water dissociates almost completely at around 3000C. I guess it's not a steam explosion they're worried about, but rather that the temperature of the corium is sufficiently high to generate a hydrogen explosion? I'd guess the chemical energy of 7ktons of water dissociated to hydrogen and oxygen is probably higher than an equivalent quantity of TNT but I've no idea if it's in the 2-4 megaton range.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I noticed from episode 1 that all of the characters are wearing their wedding bands on their right hands so A+ Good Job to the costuming department! :thumbsup:

edit:

also, there are some great memes in the GBS thread

Authentic Slav set dressing.

I loved all the old school PCs

hazza
Mar 25, 2005

I couldn't see him, therefore I knew he was there.

StarkingBarfish posted:

I'd guess the chemical energy of 7ktons of water dissociated to hydrogen and oxygen is probably higher than an equivalent quantity of TNT but I've no idea if it's in the 2-4 megaton range.

1 mole of water is 18.02 grams.
1 mole of H2 is 2.01588 grams
7 kilotonnes of water = 7,000,000 kilos of water.
7,000,000 / 0.01802 = 388,457,269 moles of water.
388,457,269 moles of H2O = 388,457,269 moles of H2.
Oxyhydrogen reaction releases 241.8 kJ for every mole of H2 burned.
388,457,269 * 241.8 = 93,928,967,644 kJ = 93.9 Terajoules
1 gram of TNT exploded = 4184 joules

93.9 Terajoules / 4184 joules = 22,449,562,056 grams of TNT = 22.45 kilotonnes of TNT equivalent.

Granted, it's been over 15 years since I did any sort of chemistry in school - I'd certainly welcome any corrections from anyone who knows better than I - but unless I've made any egregious errors it doesn't seem possible to get even near to the megaton range from a pure hydrogen-oxygen reaction of this scale (and this is assuming that it's a 100% efficient reaction, with none of the elements blown away before reacting). However, it does appear possible to get a Hiroshima-scale reaction (15 kilotonnes) - this is still very bad.

Perhaps there are other factors not considered in this calculation that can increase the yield? Or, perhaps, the scientists are overestimating the size of the explosion to get a more urgent response from the higher echelons?

hazza fucked around with this message at 15:50 on May 19, 2019

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

You are entirely correct on the maximum force releasable from the hydrox reaction. That makes me more convinced that the 2-4 MT number is meant to mean, the effects of a ~22kT explosion scattering the 8-10? tons of fuel present in all the cores and at the plant.

ie, 22 kiloton boom, now 10 tons of undepleted fuel doped with plutonium has been injected into the atmosphere and will fall out over Europe.

That honestly seems like way WAY worse a contamination than what an efficient air burst of a 2 to 4 megaton device would do...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

You are entirely correct on the maximum force releasable from the hydrox reaction. That makes me more convinced that the 2-4 MT number is meant to mean, the effects of a ~22kT explosion scattering the 8-10? tons of fuel present in all the cores and at the plant.

ie, 22 kiloton boom, now 10 tons of undepleted fuel doped with plutonium has been injected into the atmosphere and will fall out over Europe.

That honestly seems like way WAY worse a contamination than what an efficient air burst of a 2 to 4 megaton device would do...

Yea I think they were much more worried about the dirty bomb effects than the water vaporization bomb