Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Outside of Alien Trilogy most Alien games used these creatures quite sparingly

tell that to Rebellion circa 1999-2000

AVP1's facehuggers are the loving worst to the extent that I honest to god never bothered playing AVP2's Marine campaign as a result

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

It's been fuckin' forever since I played this game. I don't recall how far I got but I explicitly remember having no problem with the controls because:
1) Dual-analog felt natural enough as a controller equivalent to what had become the KB/M standard for PC FPS games by then.
2) TimeSplitters had already been out for a while by the time I actually got around to trying Resurrection for myself, and it featured the same dual-analog controls for moving/aiming. I had no problem getting used to that either.
How or why GameSpot thought this dual-analog setup was counter-intuitive I don't know! :shrug:

But god drat if I hadn't been spoiled rotten by other FPS games, even on the PlayStation alone, by the time Resurrection finally escaped development hell and rolled around to release. It wasn't unenjoyable; I actually had some good fun with it and things could get genuinely tense at times, but all I really remember about the map designs in Resurrection boils down to a bunch of dull metallic grey-brown environments, often comprised of bland narrow corridors (which is understandable given the source material, so I can't knock it there) and some absolutely horrible draw distance, even in supposedly well-lit sections. Basically, I don't remember anything specific about any levels because there was often gently caress-all enough to see that would actually leave an impression. I have the same complaint with Alien Trilogy, now that I think about it. Thick dark fog everywhere and samey corridors for miles.

The Facehuggers, however, just gently caress those things. Of all the Alien-based games I've played, only Isolation got it right because they're rare, only appearing toward the very end of the game, and nearly everything kills you instantly anyway. Every other time, even in stuff like that old SNES Alien 3 game, they just ended up being tedious and/or frustrating to deal with as things progressed, and Resurrection was no exception to this. On one hand the timer/Autodoc solution is better in this instance than the Facehuggers being the insta-kill mechanic they so often are, but on the other hand they're really unnecessary and dealing with them to prevent you going on an item hunt just slows things down too much, and often ends with you going on that very same loving item hunt anyway.

All that being said, I really should give it another go. It's definitely a better way to spend two hours than watching the lovely movie.

Edit:

Oh poo poo, speak of the devil etc.! Can see myself going through this properly with saves and that speed cheat (even though the latter may well end up making the game harder...)

Funnily enough I replayed Alien Trilogy a few months back after I went and retrieved my family's PlayStation from my parents house, and I honestly thought as far as "Doom clones" go it held up very well. Sure the enemies are sprites and theres no proper vertical aiming, but as the controls are digital only it felt like you wasn't hamstrung in any way. Environments are of course limited by the source material as you say, but I thought it did a bang up job replicating the feel of Hadley's Hope, Fury 161 & the Derelict. The music was petty damned good too.

I didn't play a huge range of console FPS games back in the day, but I do seem to remember short draw distance being a thing due to hardware limitations (Turok springs to mind). I also remember Goldeneye and Perfect Dark both had long draw distances but horrific framerates.

I wouldn't say item hunting is actually a thing - the game plonks the Autodocs right in or before areas you're going to encounter facehuggers to the point its actually a good tip off that you're going to encounter some in the next few moments. Plus being able to store them in your inventory means even if you somehow miss one you're good - I'm on the third level having used 1 autodoc and have another 4 in my inventory.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

tell that to Rebellion circa 1999-2000

AVP1's facehuggers are the loving worst to the extent that I honest to god never bothered playing AVP2's Marine campaign as a result

No they really are used sparingly. My memory is a tad hazy but I seem to remember in the marine campaign in AvP1 there are none in the first mission, 3 in the second (medlab), and no more than half a dozen in any of the missions that followed. By contrast I'm about 2/3 the way through the first mission in AR that has them, and I have so far killed 32 of the little fuckers.

Good news though! You do not have to fight any facehuggers in the marine campaign of AvP2 if you don't want to. There is one segment where you shut down the containment system to cause a distraction which spawns them, but you can easily get away without having to fight them, and the rest will only emerge from eggs you stray too close to. Like most other games in the franchise, eggs can be destroyed without risk of them opening. Any others are part of scripted events and will not attack you. Have fun after you reinstall AvP2 friend!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How does the original PC AvP run on modern systems? I'm guessing you need something to get widescreen.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
that is awesome

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
good god think about the number of games that came out since then that feel unplayable now because of their control scheme
i know resident evil 4 isnt supposed to play like a fps but im thinking strongly of resident evil 4 anyway

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Pennywise the Frown posted:

How does the original PC AvP run on modern systems? I'm guessing you need something to get widescreen.

I've got the steam version and it works fine. Can't say about an original copy though.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

gary oldmans diary posted:

good god think about the number of games that came out since then that feel unplayable now because of their control scheme
i know resident evil 4 isnt supposed to play like a fps but im thinking strongly of resident evil 4 anyway

I played through that game a few months ago for the first time since it came out for Gamecube and although it felt dated I got used to the controls pretty quickly. Still a great game, too.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

original copies don't really work at all, iirc, but there's an updated version on Steam/GOG that works fine out the box

it is slightly janky in that the menus are still locked 640x480, but everything else works fine

also I swear to god I remember there being way more facehuggers in AVP1 :psyduck: I literally have childhood trauma from those little fuckers

e: maybe it's the bonus levels that used tons of them? I'm not sure

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

gary oldmans diary posted:

I experienced the same thing going from Dead Space to Resident Evil 5. Dead Space feels like a natural evolution of the RE4 control scheme in that it allows you to move and shoot at the same time, and then RE5 feels like a huge step backward by using RE4's control scheme where you can either move or shoot but not both. It hammers home how unthreatening the "fast" enemies are because they intentionally slow to a crawl for no reason when they get close because the control scheme dictates that they have to, or you'd get mobbed non-stop.

Likewise, trying to play Goldeneye today is goddamn impossible for me. At least Perfect Dark got an HD remake on the Xbox which included dual-stick support, and it's amazing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I wrote up a big post with photos of random Aliens merchandise I have kicking around, and the Awful app ate the post and all the photos. :saddowns:
I think there may have been too many photos in the one post, so I’ll try again and just do a bunch of posts over the course of the weekend.

First here’s a cool Alien in a specimen tube. Yes it actually is filled with water, and it’s got some LED lights at the bottom that you can turn on.

I got Lance Henriksen to sign my copy of the Colonial Marines Technical Manual, on the page about synthetics. The bit in the lower right says, “I may be synthetic but I’m not stupid.”

I got him to sign it at a showing of ‘Aliens’; other people were having him sign their copies of Aliens, Near Dark, Millennium, etc, but I brought that book. When I handed it to him, he started paging through it and said, “Is this a real book? Holy poo poo, this is a real book. Holy poo poo.”
It was pretty awesome. :haw:

That’s all for now, I hope this doesn’t crash the app!

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
That Henriksen autograph is awesome.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

:rip: Bill Paxton.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

So I’ve made it to the fifth level in Alien Resurrection and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a difficulty spike this dramatic before. The first 4 levels steadily increase in challenge and it would be accurate to describe them as hard, but fair.

The fifth level switches you to another character, so right away you have none of the items you’ve been collecting so far (and my Ripley is tooled the gently caress up), but it doesn’t feel like the level design takes this into account. The game throws substantially larger numbers of enemies at you with substantially less ammo available.

This wouldn’t be so bad on its own, but added into that mix are armoured human enemies packing pulse rifles and grenade launchers, lots of environmental hazards (steam, laser grids, security bots etc), and very little in the way of health pick ups. This level really starts to take the piss with facehuggers; not only do they attack in concert with adult xenomorphs, but some are placed in such a way that even if you know in advance that they’re there you will still get facehugged. On more than one occasion a facehugger would attack right as you step off a ladder before you can even turn around, or are placed so close behind a door they jump on you before the door has finished opening. Or after descending to the bottom of a ladder you turn around to find half a dozen eggs that you couldn’t see from above, and again you get swarmed before you can even react.

To top that off there are very few autodocs, so dying from a chesburster is a very real danger. Aiming on its own is very difficult as the PS1 hardware is not up to the task of rendering so many enemies at once, so there are moments when you’re being swarmed and the frame rate is down to single digits.

It honestly feels like the person in charge of the level design was an obnoxious power gamer who set out to gently caress over players as much as possible. Not only is it brutally hard, but it’s unfair and relies on constant cheap shots. I’m hoping this is an anomaly similar to Medical in Isolation because it’s so out of step with the rest of the game to this point, so I’ve activated some cheat codes to get through the really obnoxious bits, but if the rest of the game follows the same pattern I may have to retract some of the praise I gave it in my earlier post.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
I watched Aliens twice yesterday because of this thread, one theatrical cut, the other directors cut.
It was a good day.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Both b and e

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

:hai:

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

:agreed:

I think ideally B should be a little further back so it's not completely covering the xeno's "eyes", but it kinda looks like it's doing the Smooth Criminal look which I'm down with.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Voting Floater posted:

:agreed:

I think ideally B should be a little further back so it's not completely covering the xeno's "eyes", but it kinda looks like it's doing the Smooth Criminal look which I'm down with.
I would love a cgi alien dancing like mj.

Ripley are you ok... are you ok... are you ok Ripley?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Runaktla posted:

I would love a cgi alien dancing like mj.

Ripley are you ok... are you ok... are you ok Ripley?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C5tFFf1Ra4

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I want to imagine that "tee-hee" came from the guy in the suit.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

There's already an answer to this though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuNaegwHnGo

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Mister Speaker posted:

It seems silly to me, to discuss anachronisms like that in film because of course things are going to be that way... just look at all the old tech like CRT monitors everywhere in the films, meanwhile prequels like Prometheus have 3D holographic maps aboard their ships. It's just a function of what they were working with and could envision at the time. In 30 years I bet the viewscreens in poo poo like Avatar are going to look super dated.

Wait what?

Nah, that just goes to show you how poo poo Prometheus was.

I never bothered to see it because of stuff like that. The ships were far too spacious, 'cool' looking, and shiny. It felt wrong at the lowest level, ignored the kind of world building that Alien was so amazing at doing, and all that played out to that douche saying 'ooh let me pet the hissing thing that looks like a cross between a cobra and an axe'.

That said, the Prometheus ship didn't necessarily need to have CRTs to be in canon - that's believably explainable to me that the blue collar truck drivers get stuck with poo poo third-hand equipment and the big budget scientists get experimental new stuff. But, with all the other things going on that screamed 'dumbed-down modern reboot' that sort of minor detail just sort of swirls down the toilet with everything else.

thoughts and prayers fucked around with this message at 07:35 on May 20, 2019

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'll give Prometheus one thing, the scene where the tentacle squid just loving piledrivers the giant out of nowhere is a quality scene. If they'd replaced the ironic deaths with a bunch of increasingly weird monsters beating the poo poo out of each other while the humans just try to get the gently caress out of dodge you'd probably have a decent B movie.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Splicer posted:

I'll give Prometheus one thing, the scene where the tentacle squid just loving piledrivers the giant out of nowhere is a quality scene. If they'd replaced the ironic deaths with a bunch of increasingly weird monsters beating the poo poo out of each other while the humans just try to get the gently caress out of dodge you'd probably have a decent B movie.

The extended chase scene on the blueray between Shaw and the engineer was actually tense and built up towards the squid part.

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
I want to thank this thread for reminding me about the Aliens comic book my older brother had that I read a lot. I remember being confused at Wilks and Billie, not quite realizing they had to change the names because of Alien 3, and even though I remember being very grossed out about some things, I remember always coming back to it every few months for a year or two. I just read Labyrinth because of the recommendation, and holy gently caress.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

http://www.hrgiger.com/barmuseum.htm

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I have a reason to go to Switzerland now.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Was flipping through channels and saw Bill Paxton in a movie called Mean Things.

Being dead honest here. I think Bill Paxton was the celebrity death that I felt the worst about. Yeah, Stephen Hawking was bad but it was his time. Not Bill. Not Bill man.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
It's a good thing the atmospheric processor went critical before all the Xenos with Hudson's DNA in the mix went through their growth cycles.

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

Temper Trudeau posted:

It's a good thing the atmospheric processor went critical before all the Xenos with Hudson's DNA in the mix went through their growth cycles.

Turns out the explosion wasn't the processor at all. It was the first Hudson alien bursting out of its host.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I now want to see a slighty smaller Vasquez alien running around with a red bandana.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Was flipping through channels and saw Bill Paxton in a movie called Mean Things.

Being dead honest here. I think Bill Paxton was the celebrity death that I felt the worst about. Yeah, Stephen Hawking was bad but it was his time. Not Bill. Not Bill man.

Weird how some hit you much harder than others. Probably a lot to do with how much it seems like they could have still done much more. I still get sad when I remember Rik Mayall is dead.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Sunswipe posted:

I still get sad when I remember Rik Mayall is dead.
:same:

Was watching some episodes of Bottom recently, and midway through the whole "BECAUSE IT'S CHRISTMAS!!" exchange I suddenly stopped laughing after realising (yet again) that Rik's dead. It's close to five years already.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

:same:

Was watching some episodes of Bottom recently, and midway through the whole "BECAUSE IT'S CHRISTMAS!!" exchange I suddenly stopped laughing after realising (yet again) that Rik's dead. It's close to five years already.

For me it was Robin Williams. :sigh:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Xenomrph posted:

That one hit me too. The night we found out a mate of mine had just sent me a video of one of his standup routines, then the headlines shouted out he'd killed himself!

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah that was a bad one.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I played some of Alien Isolation about a week or so ago. I liked it when I was playing but I think I got lost and then bored trying to find my way out so I quit. I'll try to get back to it again, maybe read a walkthrough to get me out of this. It's really weird running around in an FPS without a gun. Makes me feel naked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That's the idea. Lots of horror games do that to you now. It's a total cheat, but it works.

That reminds me I have AvP 2000 installed on my GoG account. I should load it up, enjoy the retro style.