Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Ugh. Awful guys. This poo poo is too much can we get back to the funny pictures or talking about mouth heat instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Mcdonalds couldn't provide evidence at trial that most consumers didn't drink coffee in their car. So it was either a lie or a thing that they believed mistakenly, and why the gently caress would you give Mcdonalds the benefit of the doubt?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Because they make the Sausage Egg McMuffin which is the best breakfast sandwich.

edit:
Well, that and the Steak Egg and Cheese bagel if you're hung over.

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Father Jack posted:

How does keeping the coffee hotter save money?

IIRC keeping the coffee at just shy of boiling levels meant they only had to break down and clean out/descale the machines a fraction of the time that they would've needed to had they been kept at standard brewing temperatures and it was extensively documented in internal corporate documents that this was the reason - saving on labor costs.

CleverHans has a new favorite as of 13:24 on May 19, 2019

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Burning customers to save on labor costs?

Literally :capitalism:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

The McMuffin with the maple syrup pancake things.. the McGriddle? That’s pretty dope.

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Mcdonalds couldn't provide evidence at trial that most consumers didn't drink coffee in their car. So it was either a lie or a thing that they believed mistakenly, and why the gently caress would you give Mcdonalds the benefit of the doubt?

Because a lot of people are amazingly credulous about anything that casts them in a bad light.

There's plenty to criticize about them without buying in to bullshit, and criticism is more effective when it's actually true.

CleverHans posted:

IIRC keeping the coffee at just shy of boiling levels meant they only had to break down and clean out/descale the machines a fraction of the time that they would've needed to had they been kept at standard brewing temperatures and it was extensively documented in internal corporate documents that this was the reason - saving on labor costs.

OK, that makes sense.

It's awful, but it makes sense. Do you have a source for that? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just having trouble finding anything to back that up.

e: a picture so this isn't entirely off topic

Pierre Chaton has a new favorite as of 14:06 on May 19, 2019

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

Captain Splendid posted:

I wonder if Geddy Lee talks like an ordinary guy :thunk:

I know him, and he does.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Memento posted:

Back then people drank their coffee when they got to their location, so making it super hot meant that it would be the right temperature when they got to work, meaning they would be more likely to buy coffee. People getting to their work/wherever and going "ugh this coffee is tepid, not getting that again" would cut into their bottom line.

They had those old plastic lids that you had to crack open that weren't really conducive to travel drinking, like this one:

On top of the other theories:

It's mostly for people who dine in. At the time they offered free coffee refills, and if you have a bunch of people who can just easily suck down 3-4 coffees over the course of a breakfast sandwich/visit if it's normal drinking temperature that's 2-3 coffees you didn't sell. So having it so hot means people have to drink it slower, let it cool, and by the time they're done they don't want another coffee.

Same reason Olive Garden brings out the "unlimited soup/salad/bread-stick" entrees out so slow. That poo poo's sitting in a pot/warming dish all day, not being made fresh, they make you wait between each order because they know you'll get full after a plate or two if they let your stomach catch up with your appetite.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Father Jack posted:

Do you have another explanation for why they did it?

It's easy to believe that they would put profit above customer safety. Harder that they would choose to serve the coffee so hot to begin with, and keep doing so once they were aware people were being injured by it for no particular reason.

It costs money to reprint all the training guides, retrain all the employees, and follow up (or at least go through the motions) to make sure the coffee makers are all adjusted right across thousands of locations.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

i live in maryland and this is an accurate portrayal

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just don’t go to McDonald’s boom problem solved

You’re welcome

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

let's move on from this terrible derail Facebook Aunt caused when she cruelly and thoughtlessly tried to say that Canada was good

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1129957649569607680

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/captainkalvis/status/1129511138746519552

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

heh

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Should end
“Me: lol I know”

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

It's like the automotive insurance recall scene from Fightclub. McDonalds would have to spend money to revamp it's coffee process chain wide which costs a lot of money. If they draw a small amount of legal complaints, and they settle for not a ton of money, then it's cheaper to burn people and not revamp the coffee process.

The Internet posted:

Liebeck’s case was far from an isolated event. McDonald’s had received more than 700 previous reports of injury from its coffee, including reports of third-degree burns, and had paid settlements in some cases.

Mrs. Liebeck offered to settle the case for $20,000 to cover her medical expenses and lost income. But McDonald’s never offered more than $800, so the case went to trial. The jury found Mrs. Liebeck to be partially at fault for her injuries, reducing the compensation for her injuries accordingly. But the jury’s punitive damages award made headlines — upset by McDonald’s unwillingness to correct a policy despite hundreds of people suffering injuries, they awarded Liebeck the equivalent of two days’ worth of revenue from coffee sales for the restaurant chain. That wasn’t, however, the end of it. The original punitive damage award was ultimately reduced by more than 80 percent by the judge. And, to avoid what likely would have been years of appeals, Mrs. Liebeck and McDonald’s later reached a confidential settlement.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Gotta go fasr

Only registered members can see post attachments!

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

gbut posted:

Gotta go fasr

The rust adds 4HP

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't get it why didn't the judge order these people to pour coffee on themselves?

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Because we don't do Old Testament Biblical law.... wait...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We need someone in here to stop this derail. A hot coffee mod.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Karate Bastard posted:

I don't get it why didn't the judge order these people to pour coffee on themselves?

Cruel and unusual punishment

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok ok I'll milkshake myself.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Ultimate Mango posted:

Cruel and unusual punishment

What's Johnny Law say about punishments that are just unusual, but not excessively cruel?

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

I want this on a shirt.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
. doot

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

What's my house sigil doing here?

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

It costs money to reprint all the training guides, retrain all the employees, and follow up (or at least go through the motions) to make sure the coffee makers are all adjusted right across thousands of locations.

Goodpancakes posted:

It's like the automotive insurance recall scene from Fightclub. McDonalds would have to spend money to revamp it's coffee process chain wide which costs a lot of money. If they draw a small amount of legal complaints, and they settle for not a ton of money, then it's cheaper to burn people and not revamp the coffee process.

This could explain why they didn't want to stop selling coffee so hot, but not why they did it in the first place.

Credible reasons suggested itt why they did it:
- Customers wanted it super hot, so it was still warm when they got to work
- It cut down on maintenance of the machines
- Reduce requests from sit in diners for free refills

I'm not defending McDonalds here, I'm perfectly happy to believe that they were complete shitheads about the issue, but if you're going to 'well, actually' about it then maybe back your assertion up with something

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

gbut posted:

Gotta go fasr

Detroit goon spotted

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Prison tattoos have gone to poo poo, I see.

Fart Jockey
Aug 13, 2010

FistOfTacitus
Oct 21, 2009

Lobok posted:

I just want you to know I appreciated this.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Lobok posted:

Grove Street for life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guillotine everyone who doesn't drink coffee from an actual coffee cup on one of their mandatory coffee breaks. I.e. guillotine all Americans.