Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My friend leaves her phone in her purse when she's at home and just says 'well if Im at home then use Facebook messenger' but how the hell am I supposed to know when she's home, also she will completely ignore any messages received on her phone between outings.

I wish more people understood that owning a cell phone is an implicit agreement to be relatively easy to contact!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

As it is now it's completely arbitrary, like the rules are "whatever our current IT nerd thinks is secure enough". At least have a standard so I don't have to remember your site's specific weird rule.

The thing I hate is when a site has some weird rule that it tells you when you create a password but not when you log in. If you remind me that my password for this site is letters and numbers only then I'll probably remember what I used. Otherwise I'm going to guess, get it wrong, reset the password and only then be told about the requirement and remember what the old password was.

And what the hell kind of bullshit is going on behind the scenes that makes "letters and numbers only" a necessary rule in the first place?

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

I wish more people understood that owning a cell phone is an implicit agreement to be relatively easy to contact!!

lol gently caress you

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Tiggum posted:

And what the hell kind of bullshit is going on behind the scenes that makes "letters and numbers only" a necessary rule in the first place?

Mind bogglingly stupid enough to store passwords in plain text, but juuuust smart enough to not let people use SQL commands as their username or password using the laziest means of prevention possible?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Killingyouguy! posted:

My friend leaves her phone in her purse when she's at home and just says 'well if Im at home then use Facebook messenger' but how the hell am I supposed to know when she's home, also she will completely ignore any messages received on her phone between outings.

I always have some kind of alibi for not replying to people and I hate constant messenger contact since it waters down friendship. I prefer to see my friends twice a year or something rather than a constant dribble of information about their lives.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Do you know what's awesome? Asparagus. Delicious cooked on the BBQ.

Do you know what's not awesome? Being reminded I ate asparagus every time I go pee for the next 24 or so hours.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Spalec posted:

Do you know what's awesome? Asparagus. Delicious cooked on the BBQ.

Do you know what's not awesome? Being reminded I ate asparagus every time I go pee for the next 24 or so hours.

We were giving out excess fresh asparagus at the soup kitchen I volunteer at and the number of people who were asking how to cook it suggested a lot of people are in for a rude surprise.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Tiggum posted:

The thing I hate is when a site has some weird rule that it tells you when you create a password but not when you log in. If you remind me that my password for this site is letters and numbers only then I'll probably remember what I used. Otherwise I'm going to guess, get it wrong, reset the password and only then be told about the requirement and remember what the old password was.

Yeah, adding a "your password is incorrect. Remember, our passwords require ____ and ____ etc" message would completely solve the problem for me. It's not like these rules are a secret, a hacker could just push "create an account" and see what they are if they tune whatever they are using based on them.

Also that "agreeing to be easy to contact" cell phone thing is silly. If you want to be constantly on call, that's fine. If you want to keep it on silent and only look at it a couple times a day and only respond when you feel like it, that's fine too. Imho it's not healthy to be online/reachable 24/7.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Iron Crowned posted:

Eh, cell phones have replaced the watch.

I did use a smartwatch for a while, but it was just a watch that I could change the face on, and recently switched back to a dumb watch.

Wearing a Casio F-91W terrorist watch is actually pretty nice, it does one thing perfectly, and that's all I need from a watch.
My favourite thing was meeting someone in person who also bought their F-91W for being a terrorist watch. You know, in addition to being a reliable, cheap, small watch.

The Black Stones posted:

I swear I’m going to break my friends phone in half. I text him saying I’m going to see a movie on Monday (I say this Friday) and he says he wants to come. Texts me that he works until 3:50 and the available shows after that are 4:10 and 7:10, I ask which show he wants and he says he’s not sure so I tell him I wanna buy reserved tickets so let me know by end of next day. I hear nothing back so I ask him if he knows what he’s doing and he simply says “I can go after work, I might miss previews” I can assume this means the 4:10 show but I don’t wanna buy until I confirm because he never said which showing he wants so I ask if I can buy tickets for that showing. No response back, I send a “?” after about 20 minutes. It’s now a good 2 hours later and he’s seen the message but has not replied.

JUST. TEXT. ME. YES.

I know he’s not driving and I know he’s probably at work where he can quickly pull out phone to give me a yes, but he pulls this poo poo constantly on me and recently it’s driving me insane. Just give me an answer.
I get really mad when people start doing this. So I just assume they aren't interested unless they follow through with the commitment.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

PancakeTransmission posted:

I get really mad when people start doing this. So I just assume they aren't interested unless they follow through with the commitment.

You have to be clear like "let me know if you want to come by ____, otherwise i'll assume you don't want to come", because if you just leave the question hanging and just go without them you'll come out of the place with texts like "hey man i thought we were going to do ____, why'd you go without me?" etc.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Extremely norwegian peeve: We have the letter æøå/ÆØÅ (eh? uh? oh?) in addition to the normal letters in the latin alphabet, this isn't the peeve.
The peeve is the hordes of people who, the moment they don't have access to them on a keyboard, instantly slap in phonetic-ish replacements all over the place, making it insanely tedious to read.

Jeg går på do, løsner på hølet, og driter så jævlig hardt at det klirrer på kjøkkenet.
Suddenly becomes
Jeg gaar paa do, loesner på hoelet, og driter saa jaevlig hardt at det klirrer paa kjoekkenet.

Æ to ae is fine, but people will loving understand you if you just replace å with a, and ø with o, like in URLs. You don't need to loving 'correct' it by typing in replacements like that.
I've had some customer interactions with people who have moved to the states, and thus only have pcs with us keyboards. And my eyes just slide off the loving paragraphs of text because it's so tedious to parse at length.

It's a kind of norwegian than only exists when you have olds intersecting with pcs, adding to the already large annoyance of olds interacting with pcs.
"Oh you don't need to baby me with this I'll have you know, I was a professor in Computer Science back in the day."
"Oh and by the way, now that I have you on the phone at 1 in the morning(~6 hour timezone difference.), how do I unpack this zipped file you sent me?"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If you call me without me expecting a call I’m almost guaranteed to not pick up, and I’m not sorry.

Double not sorry if you then leave a voicemail for a personal call, instead of a text message.

“Glance at phone and read message for two seconds, respond at leisure” vs “drop what you are doing, totally ignore everyone you are with, possibly be forced to walk to a new location, listen to you talk.” It’s the cell phone version of making things a ten minute video instead of an article that takes 2 minutes to read!

Also, leave a reason for calling, not just “call me” and the reason needs to be more than “it is important!”

“Important” could be “mom died” or it could be “I’m in line at subway do you want anything”

SubNat posted:

Extremely norwegian peeve: We have the letter æøå/ÆØÅ (eh? uh? oh?) in addition to the normal letters in the latin alphabet, this isn't the peeve.
The peeve is the hordes of people who, the moment they don't have access to them on a keyboard, instantly slap in phonetic-ish replacements all over the place, making it insanely tedious to read.

Jeg går på do, løsner på hølet, og driter så jævlig hardt at det klirrer på kjøkkenet.
Suddenly becomes
Jeg gaar paa do, loesner på hoelet, og driter saa jaevlig hardt at det klirrer paa kjoekkenet.

Æ to ae is fine, but people will loving understand you if you just replace å with a, and ø with o, like in URLs. You don't need to loving 'correct' it by typing in replacements like that.
I've had some customer interactions with people who have moved to the states, and thus only have pcs with us keyboards. And my eyes just slide off the loving paragraphs of text because it's so tedious to parse at length.

It's a kind of norwegian than only exists when you have olds intersecting with pcs, adding to the already large annoyance of olds interacting with pcs.
"Oh you don't need to baby me with this I'll have you know, I was a professor in Computer Science back in the day."
"Oh and by the way, now that I have you on the phone at 1 in the morning(~6 hour timezone difference.), how do I unpack this zipped file you sent me?"

This is a surefire way to find hunt-and-peck typists, they never learned their own keyboard layout. When I need to type in French on my US keyboard (or rarely, English or French on some other one) I just set the input language to France french and bang away because I don’t need to scan to find ç or ê or whatever.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 14:30 on May 19, 2019

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Them, and people not technically literate enough to understand that it's possible to change your keyboard language in OS, and not have it match up to what's on the keys. Yeah.

For all we know they might be perfectly touch-typing those mutilations of the language, but aren't aware they can change it, and don't care to do even a cursory search about it. Which is a peeve in it's own regard.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

I don't get how anyone responds to anything involving a phone number. If I take my phone off DND, it rings continuously, on top of hundreds of texts every day. Thats with me changing my number every six months and not giving it to anyone.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

This is a surefire way to find hunt-and-peck typists, they never learned their own keyboard layout. When I need to type in French on my US keyboard (or rarely, English or French on some other one) I just set the input language to France french and bang away because I don’t need to scan to find ç or ê or whatever.

Related peeve. Italian keyboards have accented letters: éèòàùì. Only lower case, not upper case. There is no way to easily write uppercase accented letters.

Likewise, Italian keyboards do not have a way to write a tilde (this thing: ~, which I copypasted from Wikipedia). And yet there's a lot of software (like Discord, for instance) where tildes are used in a markup language, so I have to go look for the symbol and copypaste it ifI want to use the markup.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mikl posted:

Related peeve. Italian keyboards have accented letters: éèòàùì. Only lower case, not upper case. There is no way to easily write uppercase accented letters.

Likewise, Italian keyboards do not have a way to write a tilde (this thing: ~, which I copypasted from Wikipedia). And yet there's a lot of software (like Discord, for instance) where tildes are used in a markup language, so I have to go look for the symbol and copypaste it ifI want to use the markup.

When I got issued a laptop with a german keyboard layout it took me forever to figure stuff like that out (also having to remember they swap the y and z location for some reason). ~ and @ were things I regularly had to ask my officemate to remind me how to make.

e: and yes, I found out like 2 years into the job that I could change my keyboard to the US format. I felt very stupid when I realized how much unnecessary frustration I put myself through.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

You have to be clear like "let me know if you want to come by ____, otherwise i'll assume you don't want to come", because if you just leave the question hanging and just go without them you'll come out of the place with texts like "hey man i thought we were going to do ____, why'd you go without me?" etc.

Yeah, I think I need to do something like this. I wouldn’t have minded as much if I was the one who invited him, but he wanted to come.

He did get back to me shortly after that post after I did a final “I’m buying the tickets now for this time, if you are coming say yes otherwise I’m only buying for me and another” and I got a response! So I guess it works.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I swear to God I can put something solidly I'm the middle of a flat table, make absolutely sure it's stable, and it will still fall on the floor.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I swear to God I can put something solidly I'm the middle of a flat table, make absolutely sure it's stable, and it will still fall on the floor.

You seem to have a bad case of the ghost cats.

Peeve: church people. When I got out sunday morning in shorts and flip flops like G-D intended I don't need all these old ladies in their dresses and doddering men in 70s suits showing me up.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 17:01 on May 19, 2019

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Work pet peeve.

"Hey can you hold my station for 2 minutes I need to grab water/go to bathroom."

Sure.

Proceeds to have lenghty talk with coworkers on their way there*

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
people who get mad at me because Fiat Chrysler of America has not provided, in 2019, tools for dealing with 1967 AMCs etc. if your car is more than 15 years old the manufacturer has probably stopped making parts for it, and while i can understand being upset about that in cases like "2004 jeep can't get parts from jeep dealership" im fuckin boggled by the number of people who get really mad about it when there's no support for 30+ year old cars that were never even manufactured by this company, only by a different company that a predecessor of this company bought out decades ago??

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
Mercedes is said to have good parts support every model going back to the war, but I wouldn't expect that from another manufacturer.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
If Ford can't provide spare parts for an M4A1 Sherman then what the gently caress is capitalism for?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Censorship in songs on the radio that don't keep the beat.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Whiz Palace posted:

Mercedes is said to have good parts support every model going back to the war, but I wouldn't expect that from another manufacturer.

and in this case it's like expecting Mercedes to give you parts for a Hudson Hornet because AMC bought Hudson and Chrysler bought AMC and during the 2000s Daimler owned Chrysler

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just got back from my brother's house (staying over for his birthday for a few days), and I hate staying at someone else's house, they always do small things differently that make me go "Why did you make this decision?" Like my brother has a sponge and fluffy tea towels (made of bath towel stuff) for doing dishes, but those leave bits all over the cups and bowls. I have teatowels with a blank side that has no fibres to shed, and a cloth that rinses out much easier than a sponge and can be put in the laundry when it gets gross. No bits left behind. Also he has really deep bowls and really shallow spoons that just feel awkward to use.

On top of that, he has a rug-style bathmat by his bath (I just put my actual towel down by my bath to absorb any water, it then just dries and doesn't get gross) and doesn't have an non-slip mat inside it, so standing by it is gross due to the mouldy-feeling rug and it feels like a slipping hazard inside the bath.

I also don't envy his neighborhood, it's a long walk to a fairly sad town centre that's mostly sandwich shops and thrift stores, while my area has many shops of different types relatively close by.

I also hate living by other people's schedules, having to stay in bed longer than I'm used to was uncomfortable, and may have contributed to a bad back for a few hours each morning. I tend to wake up early, my body just does that, and he... doesn't.

I'm just glad I'm back in my smaller, less well-put together, but slightly more comfortable (for me) apartment.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BioEnchanted posted:

I also hate living by other people's schedules, having to stay in bed longer than I'm used to was uncomfortable, and may have contributed to a bad back for a few hours each morning. I tend to wake up early, my body just does that, and he... doesn't.

I agree. I visit my parents for Christmas, they go to bed at 8:30, so once 8:30 rolls around I'm stuck there in silence. I can't even go out because they have a dog that will bark and wake everyone up. I get to sit in my room, and silently watch Netflix on my phone for a couple hours.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
There's also a small aspect for me, of feeling "trapped", because for years I had trouble finding a stable job,, so was stuck living with my parents for longer than I liked, so by the time I finally had the means to move out I didn't look back, because having my own space was such a relief at 27. As a result, if I ever end up going back to visit them and I'm there for too long I end up feeling uncomfortable because the feeling of no longer being in control of my day rears it's head again and the old feelings of being trapped reassert themselves until I'm finally able to come back.

I know it's not rational and it's not fair on them, but it's just how I feel.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

There's also a small aspect for me, of feeling "trapped", because for years I had trouble finding a stable job,, so was stuck living with my parents for longer than I liked, so by the time I finally had the means to move out I didn't look back, because having my own space was such a relief at 27. As a result, if I ever end up going back to visit them and I'm there for too long I end up feeling uncomfortable because the feeling of no longer being in control of my day rears it's head again and the old feelings of being trapped reassert themselves until I'm finally able to come back.

One of my friends was trying to convince me that I should move into a share house because paying as much as I do for such a lovely flat was a bad idea, but just the fact that I have my own space with no one else's foibles to deal with makes it worth it to me. I don't have to worry about not making noise after a certain time at night (or keeping anyone else from making noise if I want to go to bed early). I don't have to put up with other people's choices about shared resources. I don't have to work my schedule around anyone else's. Living alone is actually great and worth paying a bit extra for.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

One of my friends was trying to convince me that I should move into a share house because paying as much as I do for such a lovely flat was a bad idea, but just the fact that I have my own space with no one else's foibles to deal with makes it worth it to me. I don't have to worry about not making noise after a certain time at night (or keeping anyone else from making noise if I want to go to bed early). I don't have to put up with other people's choices about shared resources. I don't have to work my schedule around anyone else's. Living alone is actually great and worth paying a bit extra for.

What do you do about the crushing loneliness and despair from being all by yourself forever?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

What do you do about the crushing loneliness and despair from being all by yourself forever?

I leave the house sometimes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

I'm pretty firm on my never living with anyone (that i'm not in a relationship with) ever again after college. I had enough.

I guess there are some upsides including saving maybe a couple hundred on rent a month, but not enough to balance out the downsides. Even if you get along (which becomes even more of a crapshoot the older you get - in college people are generally less set in their ways, and if they're a problem you just get a new one next year), it's just a hassle. Roommate friends rarely work out long-term until you move away from each other - it's like with coworkers, you just see too much of each other and eventually end up hating each other.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I'm pretty firm on my never living with anyone (that i'm not in a relationship with) ever again after college. I had enough.

I guess there are some upsides including saving maybe a couple hundred on rent a month, but not enough to balance out the downsides. Even if you get along (which becomes even more of a crapshoot the older you get - in college people are generally less set in their ways, and if they're a problem you just get a new one next year), it's just a hassle. Roommate friends rarely work out long-term until you move away from each other - it's like with coworkers, you just see too much of each other and eventually end up hating each other.

I find it’s also similar here on the forums as well. If someone has more than oh let’s say 1416 posts in a single thread that’s just too much and intense dislike soon follows

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’ve lived with two groups of roommates and it’s been wonderful. I don’t like living alone.

Never fought anyone. Never got mad. Had some issues but never anything that escalated. We did have one bad roommate but we all agreed he was a piece of poo poo.

I’m also still really good friends with my first set of roommates. Maybe I got lucky.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I find it’s also similar here on the forums as well. If someone has more than oh let’s say 1416 posts in a single thread that’s just too much and intense dislike soon follows

why don't you slide a passive aggressive post-it note under my door about it like one of my former roommates did because I used his plate/cup sponge on a pan.

vv the only difference between the plate sponge and the pan sponge was one was on the left side and the other was on the right side. They were both new sponges out of the same pack.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 11:32 on May 22, 2019

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
^^ who cares, he didn't want you to use it. you have to be diplomatic and respectful, neither trait i've seen in your posting, so it follows that nobody would live peacefully with you

there's a reason he didn't want you using that on a pan. maybe if you respect other people more, they will enjoy living with you

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 11:35 on May 22, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

^^ who cares, he didn't want you to use it. you have to be diplomatic and respectful, neither trait i've seen in your posting, so it follows that nobody would live peacefully with you

there's a reason he didn't want you using that on a pan. maybe if you respect other people more, they will enjoy living with you

Can’t speak for yeah i eat rear end but as a fellow bad poster what if I don’t enjoy living with 99.9% of people and am fine with my current lifestyle of not having to peacefully live with post-it-note-leaving sponge nazis?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
that's fine but don't act like it's impossible to have cool roommates just because you personally suck (not that you suck, e.a.h.)

someone with nearly 1500 posts in an angry thread, you have to wonder if maybe they're the jerk if they encounter jerks all day

nishi koichi has a new favorite as of 13:39 on May 22, 2019

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

why don't you slide a passive aggressive post-it note under my door about it like one of my former roommates did because I used his plate/cup sponge on a pan.

One of my college roommates waited until I had gone to my room after cooking, eating, and cleaning up after dinner to whinily message me on MSN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

that's fine but don't act like it's impossible to have cool roommates just because you personally suck (not that you suck, e.a.h.)

I have a pool of exactly one roommate to draw experience from but it's been pretty good for me so far, and we're on year two. I think the key is that you both do have to understand that they're not you, and you shouldn't expect them to be, and make compromises.

I mean you're not always going to get along, but who cares if they want to watch the Finale of The Voice on Tuesday? I have a Switch, or a TV in my room.