Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Related to Chicago: Woodfield mall recently got this installation:

https://blockstobricks.com/

It's not only lego, but it's obviously a big part of the exhibit. The most interesting thing to me though is this:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6BF4iDzYA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BewFw0pjqzc/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bei2L0PnEy6/

:stare:

Apparently they're selling some of them too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It might be fun set to build in tandem. Like you take the Rightside Up and they do the Upside Down at the same time.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

deoju posted:

It might be fun set to build in tandem. Like you take the Rightside Up and they do the Upside Down at the same time.

Ugh, you just made me remember when Tested does builds and they rip the instruction book apart.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

xzzy posted:

It's not only lego, but it's obviously a big part of the exhibit. The most interesting thing to me though is this:

Oh, I went there about 6 months ago, but didn’t go in. For some reason, the place gives off a really skeevy vibe.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

xzzy posted:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be6BF4iDzYA/

https://www.instagram.com/p/BewFw0pjqzc/

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bei2L0PnEy6/

:stare:

Apparently they're selling some of them too.

I went to it but didn't pay to go in, they did have a bunch of rare sets available for sale at large markups, think they had a green grocer for well over 1k. It's also near the admittedly not very good woodfield Lego Store.

I don't know how it survives I don't know how many people it really appeals to. They also had a large selection of 2x4 bricks selling for a ridiculously high price.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The markup is expected, but for a sealed classic space set it's almost worth it.

And the Woodfield lego store is the one I go to because it's the closest to me. It's fine and the staff is friendly. :colbert:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

Cojawfee posted:

Ugh, you just made me remember when Tested does builds and they rip the instruction book apart.

The website says this about the model:

Lego website posted:

This Stranger Things collectible includes over 2,200 pieces and comes in 11 bags, so the real world and The Upside Down can be built at the same time for a shared building experience.

So I think they likely have a separate book for each.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

xzzy posted:

The markup is expected, but for a sealed classic space set it's almost worth it.

And the Woodfield lego store is the one I go to because it's the closest to me. It's fine and the staff is friendly. :colbert:

Markup is expected, but I don't see any rando walking in to drop that much on a green grocer. The type of person to do that will most likely find better luck on bricklink or even ebay.

From what I remember of woodfield their PaB wall just doesn't compare to the one in watertower. Lego does always seem to do a good job of hiring friendly people.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Scipiotik posted:

Lego does always seem to do a good job of hiring friendly people.

I'm friendly! Honest!

That's something I've noticed about a lot of the employee reviews on places like Glassdoor. Everyone seems to love their job and their coworkers.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Ouch.

Usually instructions are available online. Use the physical copy and a laptop.

Werix posted:

Even better.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Stranger Things set ain't worth $270+ CAD

So like $300. Insane for a house and some minifigs.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

270 CAD is $200 USD

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Werix posted:

Mine came today and I got the first half built. There are twin instruction books, one for the Rightside Up and Hop's Blazer, and the other for the Upside Down and the trees.

The minifigs for the kids are crazy accurate and Dustin looks amazing.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

veni veni veni posted:

270 CAD is $200 USD

Cool.

But not much help for us Canadians. :cheeky:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

But it works out to the exact same price as the US? You aren't actually paying more after the conversion rates. I always see Canadians do this lol.

Not that I'm saying it's a particularly good deal either way.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

veni veni veni posted:

But it works out to the exact same price as the US? You aren't actually paying more after the conversion rates. I always see Canadians do this lol.

Conversion rates and actual average pay don't always sync up so a thing can be same prince in real money, but still larger % of a paycheck. And while you can buy it from other countries that still sucks.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's 2200 pieces and a decent # of figs. I think the $200 is a fair price.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I don't know, I'm not a big fan or anything (season 1 was alright) but the more I look at the set the more I like it.

Love the patrol car and the mirrored building, the figures and details are nice and the colour and parts selection is pretty unique.

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013

CommanderApaul posted:

Mine came today and I got the first half built. There are twin instruction books, one for the Rightside Up and Hop's Blazer, and the other for the Upside Down and the trees.

The minifigs for the kids are crazy accurate and Dustin looks amazing.

Cool, thanks for confirming. Mine just shipped, so I'll hopefully get it early next week. My last order of Paris Restuarant and 50s Diner came super fast.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

veni veni veni posted:

Our taxes are way higher here and that $270 jumps to $300 easily. It's a big chunk of change. (I could save but on top of the price it doesn't seem worth it)

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.
The price is about in line from what I'd expect for price-to-part and with 8 minifigs included, but yeah, $200 for a toy is a big ask.

That said, from a build time and experience standpoint, I watched the entirety of Season 1 yesterday while I was building and still wasn't finished (working on the trees). There's a lot of intricate building techniques that you don't usually see outside of IDEAS and the Creator Export lines, and the level of detail is pretty phenomenal for what are pretty small 1-story houses. The techniques used on Hop's blazer are pretty neat as well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

JANG's review for the Stranger Things set is up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qPjnEf86fc

Looks good but he does point out it's lack of depth that I said earlier. Maybe I'll wait on this one.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Actually that set is better than I gave it credit for. Still won't be buying it, but it's a solid set.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Needs a Hawkins Lab set with Mindflayer.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Dragon boat set is going worldwide possibly most places in June. 15 minifigs for 50 bucks/euros is a steal. Don't know when US is getting it. Euro Lego shop websites have it listed already.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Well I built the right side up Byers house and legit had a missing piece (4x1 half tile/half plate) that’s super visible on the porch :(

The light brick setup looks better than I thought it would. I love all the details, like the decals and the printed stuff, and also built stuff like the hole in the wall. I wish the set wasn’t so crowded on the inside but it’ll be easier to display I guess.

Gonna build the trees and the upside down tomorrow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I built some tilted stands for my Starfighters so they can fly in formation with the Falcon. The stands are a little more conspicous than I'd like, but still I'm very happy with the results. Looks way better than having them flat imo.

Sorry pics came out really blurry for some reason.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Those displays look really good.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks! :)

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
I am actually pretty impressed with how the UCS fighters are reasonably to scale with the Falcon.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
Those are the minifig/system scale fighters though. The UCS ones are somewhat larger.

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

GlenMR posted:

Those are the minifig/system scale fighters though. The UCS ones are somewhat larger.
I want a UCS A-Wing :sigh:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
I'm waiting for the UCS Y-Wing to go on sale. Come to papa, baby.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Habibi posted:

I'm waiting for the UCS Y-Wing to go on sale. Come to papa, baby.

I built my Y-Wing this weekend. I don’t think UCS goes on sale too often, maybe once they’re going out of print. I picked up the Y during the May the 4th promo for the double points and micro Hoth set bonus (which is honestly pretty cool).

In any case, it’s an awesome set with very little repetition (the engines are identical but quick builds), although holy greebling Batman, my fingers are still sore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The UCS sets are risky as gently caress to wait for a price drop on. They drop them down by $40 or so(sometimes) right before they go oop and sell out within like a day. Not worth it imo, because if you miss that window you are going to have to pay retail or more on the secondary market.

If you are looking for a cheaper price on UCS shop used while the set is still in production.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Eh I'm not too worried.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I built my first Exo Suit a few years ago. I love it. One of my faves. So much so I bought 2 more late last year....

I unboxed and built another with my 6yo. We made some light mods. A belt-fed plasma chain gun on one arm and an ammo backpack.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-10266-creator-expert-nasa-apollo-11-lunar-lander-offizielles-bild/80929

This is nice.

I also voted for the space station in the second chance Ideas contest. Probably something stupid like that Stitch will win though.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Scipiotik posted:

https://www.promobricks.de/lego-10266-creator-expert-nasa-apollo-11-lunar-lander-offizielles-bild/80929

This is nice.

I also voted for the space station in the second chance Ideas contest. Probably something stupid like that Stitch will win though.

You shut up about that amazing and well-rendered Stitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

You shut up about that amazing and well-rendered Stitch.

Ideas review period results up.

Dinosaurs made it, playable piano is still being reviewed, but sounds like it'll come too eventually. A shame. The fast food stands was excellent, and the chemical plant was cool, but probably far too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nM3sHhD4If4