Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

nankeen posted:

i feel more comfortable hanging out with literal bulls than adult men

yeah, same with the horses. that's why it's funny when men are afraid of horses. "oh no, a huge animal that is strong enough to easily kill me! and they're easily riled up!!" lmao whatever. i'm forced to interact with hundreds of these every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

https://www.politifact.com/california/statements/2018/feb/19/jackie-speier/fact-checking-sad-statistic-number-women-murdered-/

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

men should be culled

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for sending a nude to an ex-boyfriend who I ran into at REI and he made a lovely remark about me losing weight? Husband is pissed.

Some peoples thought processes, dude. “Haha, won’t my husband find it just hilarious I’m texting my boobs to an ex!”

:doh:

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Motherfucker posted:

I can't be negged! To show how not negged I am I will attempt to seek approval by sending the man making negative remarks about me with nudes. Surely this couldn't be interpreted poorly!

Hahaha, exactly! What an idiot

"I won't be negged! I'll just respond exactly like he expected, that'll show him!"

Miserable Maid fucked around with this message at 16:35 on May 19, 2019

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Pick posted:

yeah, same with the horses. that's why it's funny when men are afraid of horses. "oh no, a huge animal that is strong enough to easily kill me! and they're easily riled up!!" lmao whatever. i'm forced to interact with hundreds of these every day.

Horses are bad and evil, they have no souls only hate inside

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
AITA for not wanting to attend boyfriends family party?

quote:

need some genuine responses because I've been told I ATA and its getting me down

my boyfriend (24) and I have been dating for 3 years now. we're both very happy. I live with roommate, he lives with his older bro and older bros girlfriend. we're all of close ages that we hang out sometimes. BF is extremely close to his bro and his girlfriend however and I have sometimes brought up that I feel left out of a lot of secrets, jokes and plans. he brushes this off as me being paranoid but as I type this they're off to a new restaurant that I wanted to go to, and I wasn't invited. he has a history of favouring them/taking their sides over mine/generally thinking the sun shines out of their asses even if they're being quite devious, which they can often be.

my cousin and her partner are moving into their first place in a couple months and invited me and boyfriend to come hang with them, we're turning it into a 3 day trip and have already booked transport/accomodation and im ridiculously excited to catch up with them again. out of nowhere older bros girlfriend announces they're having a party for older bro, whose going to be working out of the country for a few months. surprise surprise, party falls right in the middle of our trip and I have a feeling everyone involved knew this but maybe im being too cynical. I was upset but told boyfriend he could go and that I didn't mind going to see my buddies on my own, I understood he'd rather have a fun night with brother before he leaves. this was clearly the wrong response because he exploded and said I'd need to come too and that we'd have to cancel the trip. I asked why I needed to be there and he told me everyone would think it was weird if I didn't show up, that I needed to support him and that being in a relationship meant doing the right thing even if it involved something you didn't want to do. I told him that I had been to every other event, even when I had to cancel important plans, and even when I was clearly the last person told. also, if me being missing from the night was so important to everyone they would have asked if I could make it before they planned, right? boyfriend is insisting im letting him down by not coming to the party.

my cousin can't reschedule for at least another few months. boyfriend has not mentioned at all how much it would hurt me to let my relatives down. I'm certain that this is another example of me being overlooked but expected to drop everything so boyfriend can have best of both worlds - being tight with his family and having a partner who would literally do anything for him. AITA for not wanting to go?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
hot take but not all dudes suck rear end and as cute as it is to say 'kill all men' now 20 years down the line there's gonna be a significant (or at least, large) sect of grown rear end heterosexual women forming the bizzaro world version of incels unable to reconcile the dissonance of blaming all men for their problems while simultaneously wondering why they were universally passed over.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Motherfucker posted:

hot take but not all dudes suck rear end and as cute as it is to say 'kill all men' now 20 years down the line there's gonna be a significant (or at least, large) sect of grown rear end heterosexual women forming the bizzaro world version of incels unable to reconcile the dissonance of blaming all men for their problems while simultaneously wondering why they were universally passed over.

I’m going to quote this post so you can’t edit it out later, because hoo boy was it bad

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Ugh.... I feel so sorry for that lady. She's clearly had a major blow to self esteem from her bf and his family. I hope she does the right thing and tell him to gently caress off and hangs out with her cousin, and hopefully leaves her boyfriend in the process

Motherfucker posted:

hot take but not all dudes suck rear end and as cute as it is to say 'kill all men' now 20 years down the line there's gonna be a significant sect of grown rear end heterosexual women forming the bizzaro world version of incels unable to reconcile the dissonance of blaming all men for their problems while simultaneously wondering why they were universally passed over.

Yeah, you can't fight sexism with different sexism. It's a game where everyone loses.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

carry on then posted:

I’m going to quote this post so you can’t edit it out later, because hoo boy was it bad

we'll both be postin' here in 20 years so its a bet.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

carry on then posted:

S/he's not wrong though? The internet creates monsters with it's echo chambers, and things starting as "irony" or Jokes can quickly mutate into horrible things that completely leave the original intent behind, especially if they go all Poes Law

Edit: autocorrect

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Pick posted:

Wait, hundreds of horses? Must work at the glue plant or something...

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's worth going through this and perhaps less reading her total analysis, but checking out the links she provides to primary research.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Motherfucker posted:

Fun fact, the incel community was created by a queer woman who noped the gently caress out when the current batch of toxic shitheads began loving up the space.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

Pick posted:

It's worth going through this and perhaps less reading her total analysis, but checking out the links she provides to primary research.

This is pretty interesting. It makes a lot of sense too, you can kind of see it in effect with traveling (especially going abroad for school), where women tend to leave on their own and make new friends there, where men tend to go if their existing close friend group is going too.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

Fallen Rib
The link gives me a "not permitted" error, I assume because I'm a dude?

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Women go alone so they can get railed by filthy Euro trash but not be slut shamed for it.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
And they will be called....
Freetits

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

Miserable Maid posted:

Horses are bad and evil, they have no souls only hate inside

Same except men

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Miserable Maid posted:

Yeah, you can't fight sexism with different sexism. It's a game where everyone loses.

Good Lord.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Lotta goons ahead of the curve.

Corbolan
May 18, 2019

by FactsAreUseless
Why would I be afraid of an animal that can die from imaginary ants?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Motherfucker posted:

Haven't people been saying this for decades though? It kind of starts to sound like Incel sour grapes. :smug: "Women keep saying they don't need no man but give em 20 years and watch them devolve into bitter spinster with no life".

As Pick implied, it sounds like this is more likely to happen to men.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
of course women do better alone than men. women make real connections and actual friends, while men are socialized to get all actual intimacy, emotional as well as sexual, from their romantic partner while all their “friends” are merely a rotating stable of empty drinking acquaintances

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^this, and unfortunately the anecdotes in this thread don’t quite measure up to the studies being done on the issue, even in masculinity studies. Men crave intimacy; don’t know where to get it from.

Panfilo posted:

Haven't people been saying this for decades though? It kind of starts to sound like Incel sour grapes. :smug: "Women keep saying they don't need no man but give em 20 years and watch them devolve into bitter spinster with no life".

As Pick implied, it sounds like this is more likely to happen to men.

Incels and a lot of men don’t understand the concept of “would rather be single” precisely because of that asymmetry in emotional labor that was mentioned by someone else above. A lot of men are so sure that women believe (or will eventually) their lives are bettered by being in relationships with men and the math doesn’t math on that, given all the studies saying that even women who work the same amount as their partners STILL don’t do an equivalent amount of household management labor.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Motherfucker posted:

That doesn't seem to be happening. Women are increasingly turning to other women, either for romantic relationships or as platonic life partners, and forming communities without really appearing to perceive a lack

Incel men could of course do the same kind of thing instead of raging online and occasionally getting murderous. Let's hope that's the future instead (ahahaha)

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Anne Whateley posted:

That doesn't seem to be happening. Women are increasingly turning to other women, either for romantic relationships or as platonic life partners, and forming communities without really appearing to perceive a lack

Incel men could of course do the same kind of thing instead of raging online and occasionally getting murderous. Let's hope that's the future instead (ahahaha)

You know, none of these men’s movements focus on being better friends to each other which is just very telling.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MasBrillante posted:

You know, none of these men’s movements focus on being better friends to each other which is just very telling.

It's actually very sad, because you read old documents about male friendships and they used to be more similar to female friendships. I don't entirely know what happened. This seems to be fairly recent, Silent Generation men seemed to still have these very tight bonds.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

MasBrillante posted:

Incels and a lot of men don’t understand the concept of “would rather be single” precisely because of that asymmetry in emotional labor that was mentioned by someone else above. A lot of men are so sure that women believe (or will eventually) their lives are bettered by being in relationships with men and the math doesn’t math on that, given all the studies saying that even women who work the same amount as their partners STILL don’t do an equivalent amount of household management labor.

Which makes me wonder if the MTGOW movement is just some cargo cult aping the behavior of women that are genuinely happy being single.

If a man decides he doesn't want to define himself by being in a heterosexual relationship that's fine, but the MGTOW people seem to kind of miss the ultimate point about it.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

It's actually very sad, because you read old documents about male friendships and they used to be more similar to female friendships. I don't entirely know what happened.

20-70 years of “lol gay bro!” in different forms from other men anytime men attempt to talk about feelings or anything meaningful on a deeper level, among other things

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Also, I mean even if you aren't all balled up on yourself emotionally and you feel the want or maybe need to connect to another man beyond the level of "drinking buddy" it's extremely hard given that you are an extreme minority and finding another dude to actually talk to is near impossible. I'm lucky in that regard but I know I've seen many guys whose entire male friend group is about as emotionally supportive as a stump. And not a nice stump either.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AITA possibly over-reacting at my wife's "mistake" by leaving the house for a week

quote:

I know relationship posts aren't allowed here so I want to keep this focused to the incident at hand. So please don't give any relationship advice.

Okay, so I am a big fan of Seinfeld as I used to watch it every day after school with my dad. I had a poster that was signed by the actors who played the four main characters Jerry, Kramer, Costanza, and Elaine. This poster has always been really important to me because watching seinfield with my dad is one of the few times I got to spend time with him (he had a lot of personal issues) and he personally went and got it signed to give me for my 21st birthday. So yeah, it's not just a dumb poster to me, it has a lot of sentimental value.

Now my wife and I have been trying to raise money to start a college fund for our kids. As you do, we've been selling stuff we don't need anymore, and I guess you can see where this is going. I hadn't been in my study a few weeks as I've been on an extended business trip, and when I come home to my study my poster is gone. I ask my wife where it is and she said she sold it on eBay.

Here's where it gets iffy. She claims she assumed it would be okay to sell since it's just a poster, DESPITE it being so sentimental to me. The reason I am suspect is because she was very unhappy with me going on this business trip. She tried to forbid me going because she couldn't come with me (to make sure I behave myself). However I couldn't say no, I literally had to go or I'd severely hurt my reputation at work. So when I leave we're fighting, when I come back my most prized possession is gone in a "mistake." See where I'm coming from?

I told my wife I was going to stay in a motel for 1-2 weeks, and that if she wants to save this marriage my poster better be back in my study when I get back. She's supposedly been an emotional wreck ever since (according to her sister).

AITA? My friends think I am having a hissy fit and need to grow up

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Toxic masculinity also likes to form arbitrary hierarchies and competition. An insecure man is going to have a hard time forming meaningful friendships to other men who he might seem superior to him. Instead of just being happy for other people, he's more likely to take his friends success (particularly with women) as some attack on him. I'm betting Incels don't have much of a social circle specifically because they alienate everyone around them while complaining they are the victim the whole time.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA possibly over-reacting at my wife's "mistake" by leaving the house for a week

she's 100% in the wrong

MasBrillante
Dec 3, 2005

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pick posted:

It's actually very sad, because you read old documents about male friendships and they used to be more similar to female friendships. I don't entirely know what happened. This seems to be fairly recent, Silent Generation men seemed to still have these very tight bonds.

I agree about how sad it is. There are definitely still plenty of men in other cultures demonstrating tight friendship bonds (see Indian movies) but here, I notice that even the most progressive representations of male friendships have to like acknowledge the homoeroticism trope.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Panfilo posted:

Toxic masculinity also likes to form arbitrary hierarchies and competition. An insecure man is going to have a hard time forming meaningful friendships to other men who he might seem superior to him. Instead of just being happy for other people, he's more likely to take his friends success (particularly with women) as some attack on him. I'm betting Incels don't have much of a social circle specifically because they alienate everyone around them while complaining they are the victim the whole time.

There is also the fact that incels use the internet in place of real relationships with other men. That in itself is pretty damaging.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If incels can find each other online to scream about the perfidy of women together, they should be able to find each other online to make friends and share emotional support

weirdly they're only interested in one of those

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Panfilo posted:

I mean you can watch that happen in real time on their forums, which supposedly formed because they’re all screwed in the same way. any tiny shred of happiness or acceptance is immediately and viciously attacked by the other posters with things like “wrong, you’ll never be happy stop fooling yourself” “LDAR u subhuman” etc, to say nothing of the reactions if one of them actually gets laid or starts a relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

all their “friends” are merely a rotating stable of empty drinking acquaintances

This is so true :(