Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

It’s yoga with weight, it’ll make you feel excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

mods rename me pasta dadbod

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
At the la fitness ive been going to for like 6 years a manager just stopped me in the middle of deadlifting and said i cant deadlift in socks i have to have shoes on, loving 830 on a sunday morning

Thots and Prayers
Jul 13, 2006

A is the for the atrocious abominated acts that YOu committed. A is also for ass-i-nine, eight, seven, and six.

B, b, b - b is for your belligerent, bitchy, bottomless state of affairs, but why?

C is for the cantankerous condition of our character, you have no cut-out.
Grimey Drawer
Gonked myself in my mouth with a straight bar, a shitton of weight, and tricep push downs on a cable machine. Last set of the last weighted exercise of the day too.

Rolled out of my hands at extension, weights came crashing down, bar clipping my mouth as it went upwards. Scared the poo poo out of this little Asian lady doing lat pull downs.

Big chunk out of the inside of my lip, could've been worse. No broken skin on the outside where the knurling raked me.

Cut's going well

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Fallows posted:

At the la fitness ive been going to for like 6 years a manager just stopped me in the middle of deadlifting and said i cant deadlift in socks i have to have shoes on, loving 830 on a sunday morning

Wow I can't imagine anyone messing with me if I was pulling 830.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Fallows posted:

I had a gym bro tell me to go buy ninja shoes once. maybe have a convo with the manager and clear things up? Or go buy some chucks for style points.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Toe shoes are awesome for deadlifting tbh.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
To be honest I think people who go to my public gym in just their grotesque sweaty filthy socks deserve the guillotine

Do that in your garage or in your underground rust gym, but don't come here and be gross next to me

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
People are just generally really gross

Wipe your sweat off the bench you loving animal

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
shut up about sock deadlifters and squatters you swedish turd. I need to be able to properly root.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Gyms are inherently gross, just embrace it. Infections make body parts swell, and aren't we here to get swole?

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

bomb posted:

I had a gym bro tell me to go buy ninja shoes once. maybe have a convo with the manager and clear things up? Or go buy some chucks for style points.

He is the new manager and walked away when I tried to ask him why lol

https://www.roguefitness.com/metal-deadlift-slippers

Just ordered a pair of these, they look comfy anyone have them?

nooneofconsequence posted:

Wow I can't imagine anyone messing with me if I was pulling 830.

If he hadnt had said something im sure i wouldve pulled that np.................

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Fallows posted:

He is the new manager and walked away when I tried to ask him why lol

https://www.roguefitness.com/metal-deadlift-slippers

Just ordered a pair of these, they look comfy anyone have them?

they look great

for a ballerina

at the ballet

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

New goober at the gym doing stupid things with too much weight. I rarely talk to anyone let alone give unsolicited advice but this dude is just woeful so I give him some help so he doesn't hurt himself, boy is he dense, but hey we all got to start somewhere. Comes in a few days later with an older guy and they both start doing stupid poo poo with too much weight. He lets me he's got someone who knows what they're doing to help him. Good luck, kid!

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Thanks just what i needed to hear !

(i did ballet as kid rip)

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6RlhonSPpc

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I know that’s the Superman music but I prefer to let it just be Spaceballs

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

bomb posted:

It’s yoga with weight, it’ll make you feel excellent

Shoulder joints (which are nature's cruel bullshit joke on humanity) especially.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

feelix posted:

What if I'm not a dead nazi I doubt he was actually a Nazi, he had a ton of Russian pride so the Hitler shirt was probably edgy ironic

even if Trump Jr deadlifted like that id still :allears:

I swapped my deadlift back-off sets with beltless paused snatch-grip deadlifts and welp those things will gently caress you up good and proper.

pausing just off the floor for more power from that part yee yee

so last night was
573 1x6 conventional
375 3x6 snatch grip paused, beltless

will do these for a month and see how they go

i tried doing them from.a deficit but i think you lose too much hip drive that low

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 20, 2019

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Groke posted:

Shoulder joints (which are nature's cruel bullshit joke on humanity) especially.

True story I PT'd my left shoulder with getups. Had a bad bike wreck a few years back that messed with soft tissue, it's aces now.

Getups will also give you large obliques.

I ordered an 88lb and 106lb kettlebell today. My UPS guy is going to hate me.

Jihad Me At Hello
Apr 23, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Did you get a Joe Rogan one?

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Jihad Me At Hello posted:

Did you get a Joe Rogan one?

Nah I get mine from Dragon Door, half off sale today if any of y’all interested. The handles are great and won’t tear up your hands.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

There's nothing quite like seeing clips on the smith machine bar. Gotta make sure those weights don't fall off, I guess.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

ultrafilter posted:

There's nothing quite like seeing clips on the smith machine bar. Gotta make sure those weights don't fall off, I guess.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYnUUErz0Yk

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

Thats the stufff right there

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
My gym just completed their weight room expansion- two new monolifts & a power rack, two more deadlifting platforms, a shitton of new plate loaded machines, a bigger turf/strongman area with more strongman equipment on the way- it's so beautiful

$10/mo btw

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
drat now I kind of want to buy a set of kettlebells. Anyone have any experience with Kettlebell Kings?

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hahahhahaha

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Kettlebells are a lifestyle product more than training equipment. Like toe shoes and wrist wraps.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I like kettlebells as an interesting conditioning exercise that focuses on core strength and technique, but you should also be lifting some actual heavy rear end weights too.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

drat now I kind of want to buy a set of kettlebells. Anyone have any experience with Kettlebell Kings?

I hear kettlebell kings, rogue fitness, and christians fitness factory are all quality kettlebells. I wouldn't buy a set to start. Depending on your general fitness (if you are yolked) I'd start around 44lb or 53lb just to get the form down. If you are just getting started a 35lb will go a long way.

I bump up 8kg every 3-6 months and started with a 35lb bell.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Raffles posted:

I like kettlebells as an interesting conditioning exercise that focuses on core strength and technique, but you should also be lifting some actual heavy rear end weights too.

My big lift progression went way up when I stopped training them regularly and swapped to heavy kettlebell conditioning 6-7 days a week. My deadlift went from 315 to 500 in the last 9 months without doing a single deadlift. My OHP went from 130 to 190 and my bench went from 155 to 230. I'm also squatting 425 at this point and was stuck at 320 when I last trained squats 3x a week.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
I own kettlebell kings and they are the best brand I’ve used for the cast iron powder coat. Just buy one bell to start and upgrade as needed during sales and with coupons. I purchased one kettlebell and my sister purchased the same one for me for Xmas and I contacted customer support who let me return the bell for a different size with no issue

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

bomb posted:

My big lift progression went way up when I stopped training them regularly and swapped to heavy kettlebell conditioning 6-7 days a week. My deadlift went from 315 to 500 in the last 9 months without doing a single deadlift. My OHP went from 130 to 190 and my bench went from 155 to 230. I'm also squatting 425 at this point and was stuck at 320 when I last trained squats 3x a week.

Whilst I'm sure this is true for you, I'm not about to stop deadlifting for 9 months in the hope my deadlift goes up 185 lbs

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Raffles posted:

Whilst I'm sure this is true for you, I'm not about to stop deadlifting for 9 months in the hope my deadlift goes up 185 lbs

Yeah my goals weren't raw strength I was trying to cut and get more flexible/build a stronger core. I was doing HIIT on a stationary bike but it busted a few months in so I had to swap over to kettlebells. I'm not really looking to push huge numbers on squats and deadlifts because I also enjoy running, biking, and city league sport stuff so conditioning makes a lot more sense for me.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

I dont see how you can *accidently* get 200lbs on your deadlift in 9 months with just kettlebells

didnt read the last post...

Fallows fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 21, 2019

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Fallows posted:

I dont see how you can get 200lbs on your deadlift in 9 months with just kettlebells

puberty

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Is there a sort of time limit I should be spending at the gym? If I eat a small meal before heading out I seem to be able to spend about 2.5 hours there. Granted, I'm not lifting every moment inside, but I go through the 5x5 in an hour, spending anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours doing core work and other exercises afterwards. I'm also there 5 days a week... should I be resting more?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

bomb posted:

I hear kettlebell kings, rogue fitness, and christians fitness factory are all quality kettlebells. I wouldn't buy a set to start. Depending on your general fitness (if you are yolked) I'd start around 44lb or 53lb just to get the form down. If you are just getting started a 35lb will go a long way.

I bump up 8kg every 3-6 months and started with a 35lb bell.

So I do some KB (except the American swing, I abandoned that poo poo) at my gym already, but I'd like to have one for work to just do some gently caress around sets every couple of hours. I want one bell I know I can TGU (35), one bell I know I can press (53) and one bell for heavy swings (70) which says to me "you should get a set" but if you think the best move is just to do 100 swings every day then gently caress it I'll get a 53 and go nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Is there a sort of time limit I should be spending at the gym? If I eat a small meal before heading out I seem to be able to spend about 2.5 hours there. Granted, I'm not lifting every moment inside, but I go through the 5x5 in an hour, spending anywhere from 1 to 1.5 hours doing core work and other exercises afterwards. I'm also there 5 days a week... should I be resting more?

I can't imagine spending more than 90 minutes in the gym, but my particular Gold's branch is a natural light devoid shithole. If your body feels ok and you have the time then go hogwild.