Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
A lot of the issues with I:R could be fixed by adding dynamic melting pot cultures imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

Azuren posted:

Building roads while playing tall owns. I have updated my GOG review from 4/5 helots to 5/5 helots accordingly. After spending a century consolidating the Aegean basin, the kings of Sparta discovered a newfound passion for infrastructure and spending the massive stockpile of military points, and spent several decades at peace, for possibly the first time.

i like trains. i like roads, the Classical trains that they are

game is good if you build roads.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

you'd have to be crazy to enjoy building roads babysitting your stacks as they dig, dig, dig and halt province-by-province but, thankfully, i am

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Sampatrick posted:

A lot of the issues with I:R could be fixed by adding dynamic melting pot cultures imo

Only if they come with completely superficial dwarf-fortress style generated cultural descriptions to add the necessary flavour.

The Greater Bactrian culture reveres Greek and Roman and Illirian and Indo-Iranian deities. They divide the year into 39 months. Their God-King wears a crown of copper and bone and rubies and amethysts and olive branches. The most popular meal in Greater Bactria is cubes of warm pasta with warm goat and olives and saffron and water chestnut and grilled cabbage.

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Their coat of arms depict two-humped camels, two-humped camels, and two-humped camels. The two-humped camels and the two-humped camels are fighting. The two-humped camels are cowering before the two-humped camels. The two-humped camels are menacing with spikes of gypsum.

(CK2 holy fury does something like this for randomised worlds, actually)

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Are there any khaldic or Chaldean nations playable in Ironman?

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Sampatrick posted:

Absolutely

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Also not tested: Loading save games for multiplayer, I guess?

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019
Yeah, loading MP saves and hotjoin both break alliances. That and the lack of an in-game chat makes me think nobody played this game in MP outside of the Dev Clash.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Beamed posted:

Also not tested: Loading save games for multiplayer, I guess?

Actual session was p fun though

(Players are

Biturgia (me)
Macedon (Beamed)
Lysimachids (Astroclassicist)
Massalia
Rome
Qart-Hadast
Ptolemaics
Crete
Armenia
Seleucids
Bactria
...and Bastarnia, a German tribe who have migrated to the Libyan desert... for reasons?)

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So this game; good? I’m just now getting super into Stellaris and CK2, and it’s be cool to get into a new Paradox game and ground zero. Or should I wait until there’s $298 of DLC?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo it's pretty mediocre. Already bored of it before finishing a full run.

I actually went back to Stellaris, which I hadn't played since pre 2.0. Imo you should just stick with that for your strategy/empire game and CK2 for your narrative game, because Rome kind of tries to do both but succeeds at neither.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

It’s very limited and certain mechanics aren’t presently good but I’ve had fun with it. You have to inject the meaning ala ck2 to really have fun, though, all the while characters mean far less than they do in CK.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I appreciate the replies. I’ll stay away from now and check it out on sale at some point.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Ask again in like 6 weeks after the apparently fairly significant 1.1 patch is done

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

RabidWeasel posted:

Ask again in like 6 weeks after the apparently fairly significant 1.1 patch is done

Yeah everything they've said about the 1.1 update points to a lot of stuff that's going to change or be added, even basic mechanics.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

1.1 will probably approach launch-worthy state. Such are things :v:

Give it a couple more patches and maybe a dlc imo, the game desperately needs more meat on the bones. I find it enjoyable even in its basic state, though I am an eu4 nerd and that's definitely the closest game in paradox terms.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Just read the dev diary for today (can't link cuz I'm at work). Big changes to trade, playing tall, barbarians, ZoC, taking slaves. There also adding 'heritages' to each country, two benefits and one drawback to make playing each country unique.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
The trade changes are... interesting. I made the effort to dig through the awful UI and understand what's going on with commerce, and a big thing that this change might do is take those numbers and put them in a nice obvious tooltip up by the trade goods in your province view. On the downside, unless they're omitting information, trade is probably going to be a bit less incentivized between nations, and we're already seeing players and AI generally not even using their trade routes due to crippling civic power shortages.

IMO players at large are quite wrong about Free Trade being a no-brainer, and whoever set those numbers up initially was pretty smart. The most profitable stance varies enough to matter depending on what your nation is doing, though perhaps the middle stance isn't really doing anything interesting.

For playing tall it looks like pretty poor planning on their part. Red and Yellow mana developments significantly favor large empires, the latter being practically an empty bonus to anyone playing even remotely 'tall'. If they were smart that yellow mana dump would increase pop growth, especially if the new stability system is a significant yellow sink on large empires.

Blue and Green are both pretty neutral, since capital imports are more impactful than most I expect that blue actually favors giant blobs a bit. This new green development alone of the set of 4 is a slight enabler for playing tall, but due to the proposed building changes would require a heavy focus on slave pops and specifically marketplaces and life-support granaries.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If they're following EU4 patch history they're going to leave the obviously rediculously inappropriate power costs for the proposed new actions for at least 6 months even though anyone who's played the game for more than 5 minutes can immediately see that those things are nowhere near equally useful

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
"hello, I don't understand why you think this game is barebones and that we cut content. we made it the same way we make all our games, building ontop of the next one. all content in this game was built on from rome 1, a game ten years ago, please ignore that the EU series is more or less the same thing."

- johan

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Gamerofthegame posted:

"hello, I don't understand why you think this game is barebones and that we cut content. we made it the same way we make all our games, building ontop of the next one. all content in this game was built on from rome 1, a game ten years ago, please ignore that the EU series is more or less the same thing."

- johan

He’s 100% correct yeah.

I think nostalgia as effected people tho

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I think it's legit for people to point out that the game has some serious problems but anyone trying to claim that it's some kind of outlier compared to other Paradox 1.0 releases is being dumb / has a terrible memory / really loving loved reading event text in Stellaris

The more concerning thing is that indications so far are that they're taking all of the bad bits from EU4's development history (more new almost completely pointless buttons to click and dumb hardcoded modifiers in every patch) and ramming them right into the game from the start

They would have to redesign a gently caress lot of the game to make something as badly designed as trade companies but it could definitely happen

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can't believe I'm asking this but here goes: I'm doing the tutorial in this game (I bought it) and one of the very first messages asks me to look at my resource icons. I mouse over them and then click the little "Onward!" button at the bottom of the tutorial window. Then...nothing. Nothing else happens, no more message pop up. Am I supposed to just mash buttons or is something bugging out?

Edit: I’m dumb but I figured it out. Yay!

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 07:32 on May 21, 2019

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

RabidWeasel posted:

I think it's legit for people to point out that the game has some serious problems but anyone trying to claim that it's some kind of outlier compared to other Paradox 1.0 releases is being dumb / has a terrible memory / really loving loved reading event text in Stellaris

Indeed, forum and reddit circlejerk about Imperator being bad is ridiculous. And people invent some dumb explanations about how it lacks depth or flavor. Here's my extremely downvoted comment under a post asking why are people so down on Imperator:

It's a first Paradox game that is similar to their previous games since Paradox became popular.

Similar thing happened with CK2 and EU4. People didn't like that some features were missing from previous games. And new systems were considered unrealistic. However, those games had a lot of new players, same for HoI4. Stellaris was like nothing before and thus didn't suffer from this effect. So people rationalize their habits with talk about depth and flavor.

With time all of these will even out. People will get used to those new systems. People will rationalize their change of heart. Will claim that Paradox have improve their game as they always do while in reality Imperator: Rome right now is much deeper and varied strategic game than anything Paradox has done before. Just like EU4 was better than EU3 on day of release, same for CK2 and so on.

Of course there are also some real problems with the game. UI has a lot of problems. And the game lacks much of what people consider flavor: events, special bonuses and such. I:R makes it so that nations are very unique because of government, laws, population, trade etc. But there're few magical genetic bonuses and in theory you can change your country to be anything.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

And yes, one of the most concerning things in EU4 is how some obscure modifier is applied for a poorly explained reason. Like how Native Americans are incapable of building ships or moving the capital requires filling up a lot of paperwork on why do you want it. Or how a lot of mechanics based on historical events are incapable of simulating those events and we get special events or government features or those events remain impossible. It's very strange how obscure exploits get quick fixes while UI lies reported for years are still there as well as better known but funny exploits like daymoing the world as Ryukyu.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Your post was downvoted because it's bad, hth.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Chomp8645 posted:

Your post was downvoted because it's bad, hth.

Yeah this is total drivel, even if a lot of the complaints are overblown there isnt some undiscovered depth in imperator.

Starcraft or CS are the kinds of game that require people getting used to them because they require actual technical skill to play and grand strats arent like that at all.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

As someone who is fairly inexperienced with Paradox games and has maybe 10 minutes in Imperator, I'm of the mind that the game is fairly deep. Still deeper than any Civ game anyway. I can only think that this game is considered to not have depth by the folks who've put 100s of hour in the PD's previous games. And in that case, it may be true. But for someone like me, the whole map is just full of possibilities and the game possesses a lot of nuance and style. And as with all their games, it'll only get better in time.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

chaosapiant posted:

As someone who is fairly inexperienced with Paradox games and has maybe 10 minutes in Imperator, I'm of the mind that the game is fairly deep. Still deeper than any Civ game anyway. I can only think that this game is considered to not have depth by the folks who've put 100s of hour in the PD's previous games. And in that case, it may be true. But for someone like me, the whole map is just full of possibilities and the game possesses a lot of nuance and style. And as with all their games, it'll only get better in time.

Tbh this may be true. But it doesn't make other people's opinions illegitimate. And that guy just barging in to tell people "actually the game you don't like is good, or supposedly will be in the future. You will regret your words and deeds" sounds like a goober.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Chomp8645 posted:

Tbh this may be true. But it doesn't make other people's opinions illegitimate. And that guy just barging in to tell people "actually the game you don't like is good, or supposedly will be in the future. You will regret your words and deeds" sounds like a goober.

I agree with the sentiment that no opinion is invalid or illegitimate. And honestly I wish I was on the end of the spectrum where I knew the game so well that I could find it shallow or boring.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

chaosapiant posted:

I agree with the sentiment that no opinion is invalid or illegitimate. And honestly I wish I was on the end of the spectrum where I knew the game so well that I could find it shallow or boring.

ignorance is bliss my friend

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I think Imperator is fun and I like it and I think it's good, and I've been playing Paradox games since EU2 and HOI, with ~2300 hours in EU4 (first game of the year all years since Morrowind imo). I wouldn't say to anyone "you're wrong for not liking this thing and thinking it's not fun" (I'm pretty sure someone in this thread or the PDX general thread used the phrase "objectively fun", lol) but I do think the criticism and negativity it's received are greatly out of proportion for what it is: a decent game with some flaws and that is almost certainly going to become great with some patches and DLC. Most pressing issues IMO are the UI being a bit clunky and not showing all relevant information on certain screens, and moving pops being super tedious and clicky (they're working on addressing the former and almost certainly will address the latter). The power points are somewhat imbalanced in their usefulness as well, if you're blobbing oratory is your main constraint followed secondarily by civic, which is in short supply for nearly everyone, while military and religious tend to pile up.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The steam charts on how many people are still playing this game speaks for themselves. Says more than the person who reposted their Reddit post because they were mad it was downvoted, anyway.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Beamed posted:

The steam charts on how many people are still playing this game speaks for themselves. Says more than the person who reposted their Reddit post because they were mad it was downvoted, anyway.

what does any of this mean

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I think there's a lot of people who are interested in the game and are waiting for the first patch(es) and DLC before picking the game up and playing. The conventional wisdom for Paradox games is often "wait for 6 months and/or the first sale". I'd guess that most of the people who bought and played it on release date were generally hardcore Paradox fans who've played most of their other games too, often for hundreds or thousands of hours.

Secondly, if you (and I'm using the general 'you' not directed at anyone in particular) think the game is irredeemable garbage and not worth playing... why keep hanging out in the thead for discussing it to badmouth it? I see that a lot online, here, Reddit, the Paradox forums. Last time I wrote off a game as a steaming pile of poo poo *cough*Battlefield 5*cough* I gave up on it and moved on.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Azuren posted:

I think there's a lot of people who are interested in the game and are waiting for the first patch(es) and DLC before picking the game up and playing. The conventional wisdom for Paradox games is often "wait for 6 months and/or the first sale". I'd guess that most of the people who bought and played it on release date were generally hardcore Paradox fans who've played most of their other games too, often for hundreds or thousands of hours.

Secondly, if you (and I'm using the general 'you' not directed at anyone in particular) think the game is irredeemable garbage and not worth playing... why keep hanging out in the thead for discussing it to badmouth it? I see that a lot online, here, Reddit, the Paradox forums. Last time I wrote off a game as a steaming pile of poo poo *cough*Battlefield 5*cough* I gave up on it and moved on.

Im on that. I do like what Ive saw and read about it, but Im waiting it to get a little more matured

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I've reposted it not because of downvotes - this post is old, really - but because it was the problem discussed here. It seems strange to rewrite the same though or copy without acknowledging.

And I'm not saying that you're not allowed to hate Imperator, I'm talking about surprising and disproportionate hate this game gets.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Azuren posted:

People like to talk about things that interest them. Strange but true!

Also while I don't know what transpires on the hellscapes that are Reddit + Paradox forums, I've seen pretty much nobody here say that the game is "irredeemable garbage". Mostly just people who aren't happy with it, and hope it gets better (whether or not they expect it to).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This week’s episode of the Paradox Podcast was a sit down with Johan to talk some about the production of the game but also some takeaways from the community reception. It’s an interesting listen

A lot of talk goes into discussing mismanaged expectations about what a “EU+CK+HoI” game means. I don’t feel like I’ve seen a ton of that but I’m sure they’ve looked at way more feedback than I have.

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 21, 2019