Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

Code that writes itself? LOL... well, technically speaking it can be done, and i think it is done in some very specific applications, but its not something you really would want to do or need to do for a game.

I'm more wondering how ridiculous a statement you could make that is so insane, but while being totally positive about the project, and it wouldn't get upvoted by the SC community. How insane do you have to make a statement before the faithful say "Hold on, that's a bit much"

Sometimes on the bigger threads on Reddit enough sane people show up that the real insane dreams.txt stuff actually gets downvoted. But most of the time there really is no limit.

I’ve seen several versions of the classic “games within games” get heavily upvoted; which basically says that in 10 years SC will be so popular and advanced that other PC games will have to exist inside of it. So your space man can play Assassin’s Creed: Whatever IV on a screen in his spaceship while QTing to his next exciting box delivery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

I'm more wondering how ridiculous a statement you could make that is so insane, but while being totally positive about the project, and it wouldn't get upvoted by the SC community. How insane do you have to make a statement before the faithful say "Hold on, that's a bit much"

There is no limit. Some of them believe Chris Roberts will revolutionize Computer Science and solve NP-complete problems on his way to making a game.

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Quavers posted:

Right now with Ping, you can ping out and find things outside of the radar, but if the cup could be seen by a Player and it's streamed-out by both the Client and the Server, and the Player pings out and is expected to know that there's something there, the Player won't get that info (because it's streamed-out and there's nothing to communicate that it would be there). So now the coders have to change the Ping code to run a "service" - code that can read the persistent data - so that the Ping could as the service if there's anything within the area that's being pinged, and then the service checks to persistent entities that are streamed-out and what info is attached to them, so that it can be relayed back to the Player, who could then fly to that point of interest and find that a ship, which was there but was streamed-out, has now been streamed back in.

Oh god drat. I created a persistence framework for an MMO that I’m too embarrassed to name, and these fools have 100% put no thought into the implications of this approach. They’re fuuuuucked. Getting just this one thing wrong could very well wreck the entire game, and these doofuses can’t do anything right.

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/1129808205599694849

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Umm. He is aware people paid to see Wing Commander then walked out after that trailer right. I remember that being a thing.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

Umm. He is aware people paid to see Wing Commander then walked out after that trailer right. I remember that being a thing.

Yes, it's called a "joke"

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Oh god drat. I created a persistence framework for an MMO that I’m too embarrassed to name, and these fools have 100% put no thought into the implications of this approach. They’re fuuuuucked. Getting just this one thing wrong could very well wreck the entire game, and these doofuses can’t do anything right.

Was it the lord british mmo ? It was the lord british mmo wasn't it.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

trucutru posted:

Yes, it's called a "joke"

Ahh. Well, I missed that one. My bad.

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Quavers posted:

Q02) What tech is holding back the implementation of the cargo ramps (elevators) on the Drake Caterpillar?

TL;DR It relates to the functionality of the Interaction State Machine, but is just something that's on their backlog.

They don't know that there's any tech stopping it. [...] they just need to sync a programmer and a designer to do it.

Just gotta flip that switch and everything will work.

Remember when they were going to have a little fighter ship that could undock from the Andromeda and fly around. What ever happened to that? The whole community seems fine with that being forgotten.

Quavers posted:

Q11) With Salvage on the Roadmap for the end of the year, what're we expecting the initial roll-out to look like as far as gameplay goes?

TL;DR There are no expectations of what the initial roll-out will look like, because it simply isn't developed enough so far, and therefore it's difficult to see what hurdles would need to be overcome.

"We're releasing it by the end of the year... we also haven't developed it far enough to know what it is or how it will be released."

Quavers posted:

Q15) What are the current or future plans to keep Players engaged during really lengthy Quantum Jumps?

Play a better game on a 2nd screen?

Quavers posted:

Q18) Will we ever see a Compass, or direction finder in our helmets?

All the useless crap on the ship's and player's HUD and there still isn't any kind of directional indicator?

Quavers posted:

Q21) What technical challenges need to be overcome to bring Ship-to-Station and Ship-to-Ship Docking online?

TL;DR Chris has done a significant amount of work on Docking that needs to go through QA and polishing. [...] "CR's magical stream". [...] Mark goes on to say that CR (Chris Roberts) is an amazing programmer who has a nice little stream (of code I presume?)

:lol::lol::lol:

I thought ship to ship docking had been scrapped?

Also- "CR's magical stream"! Roberts is so overflowing with coding talent that it's running right down his leg.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Does Chris Roberts demand these guys lie and say he's an amazing coder? Because I refuse to believe "man who plays his own game like a caveman" has any hand coding it.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Pixelate posted:

Yeah, I just haven't seen it effect NPC physics before, like that suggests. It's the bug that keeps on giving...

Hahaha! So they're still in a Cryengine map of an island in the sea!

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

/r/StarCitizen: A Summary of Star Citizen Live "Subscriber Event Special"

This is a summary in my own words, based on my own notes, taken whilst watching SCL. I'll mostly be paraphrasing here rather than directly quoting anyone, and occasionally I might add my own comments which are identifiable through the use of Italics within brackets. I've included links below for the YouTube and Twitch VODs respectively.
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zPhpxYD7f8
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/426109223

In this week's episode of SCL, "Subscribers took over the LA studio for the day as they ask Josh Herman, Sean Tracy, and Mark Abent their burning questions regarding persistence, development, and more."

Total: 22 Questions.
- - - - -

(Dreams.txt)

Here we are eight years in, and a whole bunch of questions with no answers in there. Just imagine if there was say a design document that laid all this out before anyone began coding. Welp, what do I know about game design :shrug:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Theory posted:

Does Chris Roberts demand these guys lie and say he's an amazing coder? Because I refuse to believe "man who plays his own game like a caveman" has any hand coding it.

Doubt so, but anybody who has a good post in CIG and has lasted as long working there as those guys have will know how to please the boss and his wife.

I mean Lando is there and his only skill is being the biggest Smithers I've ever seen, and I know plenty of them.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

It sounds like they’re gradually turning it into a weird class-based game with the way they’re wanting to do gear, with different stats for each profession and such. And my god they love random stats that don’t mean anything. But the fact that even basic things like “how will any of this actually work?” Are still up in the air after 8 years is amazing

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

Doubt so, but anybody who has a good post in CIG and has lasted as long working there as those guys have will know how to please the boss and his wife.

I mean Lando is there and his only skill is being the biggest Smithers I've ever seen, and I know plenty of them.

I always thought it was weird that they chose Hobo Lando as the face of their company, like he is just some awkward and insecure game dad who has no appreciable skills, but he pathetically tries to be the big man around the devs to hide it. Even Ben has more charisma.

But I guess he’s like a mirror for all of the remaining backers. He’s one of them getting to live the dream of working for Chris to make the game to end all games.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

:eyepop: what the gently caress

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

It sounds like they’re gradually turning it into a weird class-based game with the way they’re wanting to do gear, with different stats for each profession and such. And my god they love random stats that don’t mean anything. But the fact that even basic things like “how will any of this actually work?” Are still up in the air after 8 years is amazing

I feel like a lot of that is because they take so long to do anything design-wise that each new piece of the game is done by an entirely different team from the previous. They are starting to pile up random systems in the game like heat, and cargo, and mining, and "crime stat," and shopping/trading, and not one of them has a consistent internal logic with any other. It's really cool actually, it's like one of those cartoon episodes where they bring on 15 guest animators and everybody gets a 2 minute segment, except for Star Citizen all the animators are interns and the show is 400 hours long.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

This is a summary in my own words, based on my own notes, taken whilst watching SCL. I'll mostly be paraphrasing here rather than directly quoting anyone, and occasionally I might add my own comments which are identifiable through the use of Italics within brackets. I've included links below for the YouTube and Twitch VODs respectively.

In this week's episode of SCL, "Subscribers took over the LA studio for the day as they ask Josh Herman, Sean Tracy, and Mark Abent their burning questions regarding persistence, development, and more."

Total: 22 Questions.
[...]

And we're done! This literally took me all day because there was so much that they talked about. Have fun reading, and as always if you have any feedback on how this could be better, please let me know o7

That's a whole lot of talking for them to mostly say things like "We don't know yet" or "Maybe", with the occassional buzzword thrown in.
7+ years of development and they are still just as clueless.

Thanks for the summary, though. :)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

colonelwest posted:

Sometimes on the bigger threads on Reddit enough sane people show up that the real insane dreams.txt stuff actually gets downvoted. But most of the time there really is no limit.

I’ve seen several versions of the classic “games within games” get heavily upvoted; which basically says that in 10 years SC will be so popular and advanced that other PC games will have to exist inside of it. So your space man can play Assassin’s Creed: Whatever IV on a screen in his spaceship while QTing to his next exciting box delivery.

If Star Citizen ever released as a complete product with all the things they had promised, there would probably already be a version of it embedded as a mini-game inside Yakuza 26 or whatever.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/M4Blackout/status/1126554169412915202

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Quavers posted:

*snip*

And we're done! This literally took me all day because there was so much that they talked about. Have fun reading, and as always if you have any feedback on how this could be better, please let me know o7

You're doing God's work there son, much obliged. They really are hopeless aren't they.

PS I love the way they interact with the audience - why didn't they just hold up a huge foam middle finger and have done with it?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Lack of Gravitas posted:

:eyepop: what the gently caress

Shope papilloma virus

it creates keratinous carcinomas that look like horns, usually near the head

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, is this real or from the AI bot. I can't tell.

“Q14) When we get SSOCS, in a local region (like Port Olisar), what do you think our peak Player count will be either for ship combat or FPS combat?”

Not even a ballpark, but it’s going to be sub-1600 by a long chalk if they’re running out of RAM on dev.

Why do these fucks believe Chris is writing code?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Jonny Shiloh posted:

You're doing God's work there son, much obliged. They really are hopeless aren't they.

PS I love the way they interact with the audience - why didn't they just hold up a huge foam middle finger and have done with it?

It really is amazing how much outright contempt they show for their backers. But over the past few years they’ve realized that anyone still giving them money has too much of a broken brain to notice or care, and they’ll never bring in any fresh blood again. The herd has been culled to its dumbest members.

They almost operate like Nigerian scammers, purposefully churning out emails in broken and nonsensical English, so that the dumbest and most gullible people self-select and respond.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Hav posted:

“Q14) When we get SSOCS, in a local region (like Port Olisar), what do you think our peak Player count will be either for ship combat or FPS combat?”

Not even a ballpark, but it’s going to be sub-1600 by a long chalk if they’re running out of RAM on dev.

Why do these fucks believe Chris is writing code?

I think you are being generous, maybe 100+ if they cut render distance and dump a whole ton of these stupid data flows. Just imagine 5 -10 players crafting something, it will bring everyone near them to their knees.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sample_text posted:

To be fair, it is refreshing to hear a plain "I don't know how x will work yet" rather than magical marketing handwavium bullshit.

This feels like AGILE stuff. I'm only working on the thing one month down the line / two sprints down the line. Good for them I guess, but with a project as inter-connected as what they're describing, some design doc would be ideal.

Jammy. I’m planning two quarters out and usually three to four sprints, but i am running capitalized labor projects currently.

The problem as you identify it is that they need unifying principles to make the various bits work together, and this is conspicuously absent from the places where Chris makes an appearance.

Docking and boarding have been entirely lampshaded now.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

I think you are being generous, maybe 100+ if they cut render distance and dump a whole ton of these stupid data flows. Just imagine 5 -10 players crafting something, it will bring everyone near them to their knees.

Yeah, 1600 was Chris’ number, being a naive estimate of ‘agents’ without latency. Citizens tend to believe it’s the minimum bound, and have never been near Jita.

10ms is noticeable for input lag. 40ms is typical latency across the US. 120ms is typical for transatlantic/transpacific. Why this matters is that parallelising up the network calls leads to race conditions, and because it’ll be layered over UDP, you’ll get poo poo go missing, never appear, or appear late.

Not to mention trying to access things in the client that never arrived.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Hav posted:

Yeah, 1600 was Chris’ number, being a naive estimate of ‘agents’ without latency. Citizens tend to believe it’s the minimum bound, and have never been near Jita.

10ms is noticeable for input lag. 40ms is typical latency across the US. 120ms is typical for transatlantic/transpacific. Why this matters is that parallelising up the network calls leads to race conditions, and because it’ll be layered over UDP, you’ll get poo poo go missing, never appear, or appear late.

Not to mention trying to access things in the client that never arrived.

*sigh* Chris went over this, but I guess here we go again. 10ms latency between 2 servers becomes 5ms latency once they're meshed. 8 CPUs per becomes 16, 128 GB RAM becomes 256. Do you see yet? Do you see? THAT is server meshing. Once you have 100 servers, latency drops into the ns range, with hundreds of CPUs and terabytes and petabytes of RAM. Then because of meshing, the IO and latency of that RAM is cut down by each member server, and it basically becomes a giant network like the human brain where every node shares information with every other node instantly, because the server mesh eliminated all latency and it's like having one giant computer. Do you understand now? This is Chris's vision, and only he had the genius to realize server meshing, and it's technology that's never been done before.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

never trust an 88

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

:ohdear: poor bunny

Also, thank you for recapping the CI not-G SHOW OF LIES, Quavers. Chris has always been coding Eastasia.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Scruffpuff posted:

*sigh* Chris went over this, but I guess here we go again. 10ms latency between 2 servers becomes 5ms latency once they're meshed. 8 CPUs per becomes 16, 128 GB RAM becomes 256. Do you see yet? Do you see? THAT is server meshing. Once you have 100 servers, latency drops into the ns range, with hundreds of CPUs and terabytes and petabytes of RAM. Then because of meshing, the IO and latency of that RAM is cut down by each member server, and it basically becomes a giant network like the human brain where every node shares information with every other node instantly, because the server mesh eliminated all latency and it's like having one giant computer. Do you understand now? This is Chris's vision, and only he had the genius to realize server meshing, and it's technology that's never been done before.

I'm so excited about the incredible bugs that will result. Cascading events of people and object appearing and disappearing. Player trades being cancelled. Ships magically appearing in the clothing kiosk only to explode. Objects seeming to float through walls for no explainable reason. It will be glorious.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Scruffpuff posted:

You could probably convince the SC subreddit that server meshing would result in network latency around the 60 nanosecond range. Nevermind that this would be faster than local RAM latency, it's not like most citizens know anything about computers anyway :D

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AlbieQuirky posted:

:ohdear: poor bunny

Also, thank you for recapping the CI not-G SHOW OF LIES, Quavers. Chris has always been coding Eastasia.

The bunny is fine. Its enemies, on the other hand...

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Neltharak posted:

Was it the lord british mmo ? It was the lord british mmo wasn't it.

C’mon man, I’ve got some pride.

Also, I’ve been out of games for well over a decade. Best (professional) decision I ever made.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Wise Learned Man posted:

It should have its own dedicated thread. Repost the best ones and good new ones.

:hmmyes:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Reddit posts are better that talktotransformer because they can generate an interesting conversation," says Benoit Guilbert, a Montreal University professor who specializes in online communication research.

"If this trend continues, we must assume that they can be used in a different way," he says.

But is it enough?

While many studies have shown that the ease of conversation online makes people feel less insecure, Guilbert notes that it may not be enough to combat online bullying. The social environment, culture and context must work in favor of getting into face-to-face conversations.

The ease of a conversation can be deceiving. "How much more information can someone divulge if their subject is at liberty to give it to them? Even if they're completely honest with what they're going to say, the listener can't make up their mind. They can make up, for example, what message they expect the audience will hear before saying what they want to say," adds Guilbert.

There is also the danger that posting a link on any social network where users aren't directly on the internet could lead.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Star Citizen is bad poop from a fat, smelly butt

On Friday, I came across a very interesting article posted on Reddit titled "The Gaming Industry Has a Problem With Fatties". It's one of the most interesting pieces you'll find that has been written anywhere about the gaming industry.

After reading it, I decided to do some digging on my own to really understand what the piece was all about.

This person wrote an article about a game that had a pretty big issue with people playing with fat pecs, which I think is really interesting:

But wait, there's even more!

They actually have video that demonstrates the fat pecs in action in action. Watch it below, then comment below to help make this even more interesting:

As of right now, the video has 2,000 dislikes. I know it's hard to get people to play a game with fat pecs, but at least you know it's bad poop from a fat butt.

My own opinions

I am very happy that this story really sparked the interest I had, because I know that the industry needs to stop doing this now before there are even more fat pecs! I really hope this article

... Fat pecs, you guys.

LostMy2010Accnt
Dec 13, 2018

That some straight up QAnon poo poo right there. We've established that quite a few Citz's are Alt-Right or PUA. I got to imagine a lot buy into QAnon/deep state bullshit, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth posted:

That equipment-based... whatever it was supposed to be... reminds me of a mechanic that was planned for The Agency which was internally referred to as “you are what you wear”. Basically your outfit also fitted you with skills appropriate to the ensemble, so tac gear for shooty stuff, a tux for suave spy stuff, pilot’s jumpsuit to be a top gun, scuba gear, yadda, yadda. You don’t have to think about this a whole lot to see that it can turn stupid pretty quick in a traditional MMO. I vividly remember spending 90 GOD drat MINUTES in a meeting with two designers and several engineers trying to get one concrete example of a mechanic that would support this. Every exchange ended with a designer going, “It’s just you are what you wear!” I got traumas you guys.

For the record, The Agency wasn’t the MMO I mentioned earlier (the earlier one shipped). It does have the distinction of being the last game I ever worked on, the worst software company that I’ve ever worked for, and having some of the worst software engineers, designers, and PMs that I’ve ever worked with. I worked for SOE’s equivalent of a Siberian gulag- ama.