Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TMMadman posted:

But they would still need probable cause to search your vehicle, although police are obviously fascists and don't really care about following the law just forcing others to follow it.

they will fall back on the bullshit "I smell weed/alcohol" that they've used since forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Plus you can't stop them from walking a dog around your vehicle and if it hits, that's probable cause.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

banned from Starbucks posted:

they will fall back on the bullshit "I smell weed/alcohol" that they've used since forever.

That would be a hard sell if you were smart enough to put the weed in the trunk.

That's what I plan on doing when/if I go to Michigan to get weed and I also wouldn't carry any with me to smoke even though the drive kinda sucks without it.

Volkerball posted:

Plus you can't stop them from walking a dog around your vehicle and if it hits, that's probable cause.

Yeah, my guess is that they will probably have more K-9 units around the border and those are the ones that can really get you.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

TMMadman posted:

Just FYI, I still feel a little bad about just believing the poor assumptions of my parents regarding your aunt and uncle. I really just remember them as cool people with that crazy looking dog Petey.

But you won't have any issues getting weed. :)

My family absolutely are party animals so I can believe them being a bit off putting. I’m sure they were told more than enough times to shut up at night. Sound carried across the water well. It’s no big deal.

Edit: my uncle that’s growing isn’t the uncle your family knows.

Content: I’m all for making the judicial system right in regards to pardoning folks that got pinched for pot. But I wish we’d get our rear end in gear because pot tourism is a thing. We could draw a lot of people to Chicago if it was legal.

You’re only going to leave money on the table if nearby states legalize first.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 17, 2019

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beastie posted:

My family absolutely are party animals so I can believe them being a bit off putting. I’m sure they were told more than enough times to shut up at night. Sound carried across the water well. It’s no big deal.

Edit: my uncle that’s growing isn’t the uncle your family knows.

Content: I’m all for making the judicial system right in regards to pardoning folks that got pinched for pot. But I wish we’d get our rear end in gear because pot tourism is a thing. We could draw a lot of people to Chicago if it was legal.

You’re only going to leave money on the table if nearby states legalize first.

Oh no, it wasn't that, both my parents and I absolutely loved them because it was a wild time and they were a lot of fun. I have nothing but positive memories about your uncle and family. I was talking about the poor ethnic assumption that my parents made and I just assumed was true.

Also, yeah I really think Illinois has to get on the ball regarding weed because it certainly will generate revenue for a state that badly needs it.

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Just do what I do and be a white dude.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Big Black Dick posted:

Just do what I do and be a white dude.

This username/post combo is :discourse:

For content: I work in an office, and there are certain promotional jumps that require a piss test. Will these new laws make those go away? Or will things like that still be left up to company discretion? I'm guessing the latter, but my (Canadian) buddy said that except for heavy equipment use, their legalization made things like that go away.

I suppose it doesn't matter much to me; I haven't even tried pot yet. (Yeah, yeah, I was some kinda square in High School). I'll get around to it eventually. I expect, if nothing else, I'll spend the bulk of retirement baked as hell (mostly because I'm sure my liver won't tolerate drinking anymore by that point).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I'm a white dude and I've been hassled by the cops for no reason, and when they pulled me over and searched my car they simply lied. They're going to do what they're going to do.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah Chicago cops are so bad even rich white guys aren’t safe.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Zarin posted:

This username/post combo is :discourse:

For content: I work in an office, and there are certain promotional jumps that require a piss test. Will these new laws make those go away? Or will things like that still be left up to company discretion? I'm guessing the latter, but my (Canadian) buddy said that except for heavy equipment use, their legalization made things like that go away.

I suppose it doesn't matter much to me; I haven't even tried pot yet. (Yeah, yeah, I was some kinda square in High School). I'll get around to it eventually. I expect, if nothing else, I'll spend the bulk of retirement baked as hell (mostly because I'm sure my liver won't tolerate drinking anymore by that point).

Worth mentioning that in Canada legalization was a federal thing, whereas I'm sure in the US if employers want to keep piss-testing they can just say they're doing it with regards to federal rather than state law.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TMMadman posted:

That would be a hard sell if you were smart enough to put the weed in the trunk.

That's what I plan on doing when/if I go to Michigan to get weed and I also wouldn't carry any with me to smoke even though the drive kinda sucks without it.

Yeah, my guess is that they will probably have more K-9 units around the border and those are the ones that can really get you.

It's a logistical nightmare for them, so they primarily resort to a lot of cheap tricks that put the onus on drivers to make nervous mistakes, and I imagine it'll be a similar situation here. I used to do runs to Denver, and Nebraska would always put up signs that said "K-9 patrol checkpoint ahead" or some such. Of course, they weren't shutting down loving I-80 to have each vehicle be sniffed by dogs, and it's not like they can hit on vehicles that are flying by at 70 mph. So the whole premise is bullshit. They just strategically placed those signs in front of exits with overpasses, close enough that there isn't a whole lot of reaction time when you see the sign. Then they camp out up top where you can't see them, and keep an eye out for anyone who looks like they saw the sign and then moved erratically to hurry up and get off the interstate. Stay chill, stay free my friends :rznv:

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

vyelkin posted:

Worth mentioning that in Canada legalization was a federal thing, whereas I'm sure in the US if employers want to keep piss-testing they can just say they're doing it with regards to federal rather than state law.

Ahh, good point; I hadn't considered that.

I expect the reality of the situation will be that those policies will start being relaxed if (when) they suddenly just can't seem to fill positions anymore.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Oracle posted:

Yeah Chicago cops are so bad even rich white guys aren’t safe.

I was living in a podunk city in west-central Illinois (Beardstown).

So the cop pulled me over about a block from my house. He says he saw me throw a cigarette out the window so he's pulled me over for littering (I don't smoke and my windows were up). Of course, there were three police cars behind me within seconds. Then he says that since the K-9 unit just happened to be here, they're just going to walk the dog around the car. My girlfriend was with me, and she used to train* service dogs so she was watching the dog and its handler and saw the cop signal the dog to hit on the car.

They immediately tell me I'm being charged with misdemeanor drug possession, but oh don't worry I don't have to go to court if I just pay the fine. Then they take me back to their car while a cop who couldn't have been a day over 18 started filling out the papers. They searched my car for 20 minutes, found nothing, then came back and told me to go. What about this misdemeanor, I asked? No, just go.

If I wasn't white they 1000% would have planted something and I'm sure they did so to someone else that night or another. So yeah ACAB. At least the local ones; every encounter I've had with the State Police has been very professional.

FuturePastNow fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 17, 2019

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

My brother has drove in the last 2 years from Colorado over Christmas. He has been pulled over by ISP and asked if they could search both times. He doesn't smoke weed. Just has Colorado plates.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Saw some talk in USPOL but couldn't find the origin. Did Lipinski come out in support of these terrible abortion bills? I know he's an anti-choice piece of poo poo, but I'm hoping to get something to stop my dad from voting for him in the primary.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

He was the only Dem refusing to vote for the equality act because he hates LGBT people

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

New Chicago resident here and I'm wondering if y'all could answer some questions I had based on this story: https://chicago.suntimes.com/city-hall/2019/5/17/18629590/lori-lightfoot-chicago-city-council-committee-leadership

1) Does the Mayor get to pick Committee chairs, or is she just saying she wants these people and then the Council is going to vote for them because she's the Mayor and they do what she says?

2) What's a floor leader?

3) Is it common to be as explicit as they are being about how chairs are rewards for support (especially with Waguespack, at the end of the story)?

e: I just noticed my tag, which I got in 2015 while living in Texas to piss off someone in the D&D chat thread who really liked Rahm

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Badger of Basra posted:

e: I just noticed my tag, which I got in 2015 while living in Texas to piss off someone in the D&D chat thread who really liked Rahm

Your arrival was foretold. Now you are the mayor

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

FuturePastNow posted:

I was living in a podunk city in west-central Illinois (Beardstown).

So the cop pulled me over about a block from my house. He says he saw me throw a cigarette out the window so he's pulled me over for littering (I don't smoke and my windows were up). Of course, there were three police cars behind me within seconds. Then he says that since the K-9 unit just happened to be here, they're just going to walk the dog around the car. My girlfriend was with me, and she used to trait service dogs so she was watching the dog and its handler and saw the cop signal the dog to hit on the car.

They immediately tell me I'm being charged with misdemeanor drug possession, but oh don't worry I don't have to go to court if I just pay the fine. Then they take me back to their car while a cop who couldn't have been a day over 18 started filling out the papers. They searched my car for 20 minutes, found nothing, then came back and told me to go. What about this misdemeanor, I asked? No, just go.

If I wasn't white they 1000% would have planted something and I'm sure they did so to someone else that night or another. So yeah ACAB. At least the local ones; every encounter I've had with the State Police has been very professional.

I grew up in Beardstown, your assumption is likely accurate. What years did you find yourself there?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Uroboros posted:

I grew up in Beardstown, your assumption is likely accurate. What years did you find yourself there?

2011-2018. This happened around 2012. Not my favorite years. Though I collected a few very fine cats off the street.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

FuturePastNow posted:

2011-2018. This happened around 2012. Not my favorite years. Though I collected a few very fine cats off the street.

If you don't mind me asking, what put you there? I returned from 2012-2015, but managed to get married and a new job escaping to Springfield.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Uroboros posted:

If you don't mind me asking, what put you there? I returned from 2012-2015, but managed to get married and a new job escaping to Springfield.

My girlfriend got a job there, and I went with. Then she lost said job and we couldn't afford to move again quickly.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

TMMadman posted:

Nope, New Buffalo has already banned recreational sales according to this map/site: https://www.mlive.com/news/2019/01/marijuana-businesses-banned-in-more-than-250-michigan-communities.html

But I'm guessing some community between New Buffalo and Benton Harbor won't be idiots. Especially some of the little communities around the Warren Dunes State Park.

similarly, I could see East St Louis jumping in head-first into legal pot, and if sports-betting comes to IL first they'll do that too. (though their problems run deep and they also have the acute issue of being on the IL side of the STL metro)

also the ISP is just bad to begin with, as anyone who has ever driven 55 from Missouri knows. you go from 70 or 55 in MO (where the MHP easily gives you the "gentlemen's speed limit" of 10-15 over, and won't care about your driving as long as you're keeping up with other traffic and not being a dick) to IL where there's ISP crusiers every 10 miles and you better not go a shade over that limit. at least it's not a 65 MPH limit anymore, which really got us with Missouri plates.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
East St. Louis and Cairo are also going to be the closest place people can get an abortion for a big part of the country in a few months.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I didn’t see if y’all talked about this but the draft capital bill is out and the prescription is MOAR ROADS

https://twitter.com/yfreemark/status/1129449751961690112?s=21

Very depressing.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Well how else are politicians going to give kick backs to contractors who supported them?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Well how else are politicians going to give kick backs to contractors who supported them?

Have them build trains instead!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Badger of Basra posted:

Have them build trains instead!

Trains don't require near enough asphalt to pad the budget with

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2019/05/middle-class-americans-are-sick-elite-privilege/589849/

quote:

It’s Time to Hold American Elites Accountable for Their Abuses

If Democrats want to address simmering middle-class anger, they need to deliver justice.
6:00 AM ET
Rahm Emanuel
Okay then.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

*starts by beating the poo poo out of Rahm*

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
:ironicat:, but infinitely

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/ryangrim/status/1130923401458192386

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

“Middle class anger” lol.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Is there something with the Sun-Times and not wanting legalized marijuana? Like owners having a stake in something else? They seriously seem to run an editorial or story bashing it every day now.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
They and the Trib have a mandate to be completely out of step with the times.

dominator
Oct 1, 2003

Load Emotion File Happy_Human.bin
Processing.....
Processing..........
*ERROR: FILE NOT FOUND*
It's probably a good way to get clicks, anti people will read it and feel good about someone agreeing with them, pro people will read to see what Reefer Madness garbage is being spewed

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!

Niwrad posted:

Is there something with the Sun-Times and not wanting legalized marijuana? Like owners having a stake in something else? They seriously seem to run an editorial or story bashing it every day now.

Newspapers have been anti-weed since William Randolph Hearst realized hemp made a better paper than wood pulp.

This is nothing new.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Fair tax amendment being debated on the house floor right now. Republicans are p mad.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

I enjoy that they've thoroughly coopted the "fair tax" name from the idiot libertarian flat taxers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
LMAO was up for 7 minutes in the senate.