Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/BondageLand/status/1129510215525650434?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaukler
Oct 9, 2012

My wife and I are rewatching Up The Long Ladder and holy poo poo it’s too good. It would have been better if it were just 40 minutes of dealing with a bunch of drunken Irish Travelers, though.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I miss aliens like the Horta and the crystalline alien in Home Soil.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
lol I think we still have that somewhere from my parents' old crap. Pretty sure they had the entire set.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

I want to be a suburban winemom that fills their house up with stuff like this the way people fill their houses with airbrushed visages of jesus

I have the most unattainable fantasies

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Mommy, that man in blue hanging on our wall there. Why is he praying to a giant pile of poo poo?

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde
Shatner acted like a huge prick and mocked Nimoy when they shot that scene.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

lol but posted:

Shatner acted like a huge prick .

Only kind of acting he can do

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

ikanreed posted:

Only kind of acting he can do

Shatner was quite good at acting, actually.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
In the books the horta become amazing crew members once they have a racial memory, so one you train one the next generation retains that knowledge and they are hyper intelligent, resilient, and can emit acid and eat through rock. Kirk steps on one and says sorry pizza man....

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Washout posted:

In the books the horta become amazing crew members once they have a racial memory, so one you train one the next generation retains that knowledge and they are hyper intelligent, resilient, and can emit acid and eat through rock. Kirk steps on one and says sorry pizza man....

i want picard's new crew to be 100% horta and whales

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Washout posted:

there are Horta crew in the comics as well

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
I only found out recently that shatner and Nimoy hated each other. Like wtf. What sparked this?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shatner would not let Nimoy hold the one ring

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Preston Waters posted:

I only found out recently that shatner and Nimoy hated each other. Like wtf. What sparked this?

I thought that was only at the end. Nimoy didn’t want to appear in one of Shatner’s Star Trek docs so Shatner secretly taped one of Nimoy’s speeches at some convention and used it without his permission. Nimoy never spoke to him again after that. That’s why Shatner has “other commitments” and couldn’t make Nimoy’s funeral.

During the series and movies they got along great.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

nimoy is good and chill and shatner is self-important

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Automatic Slim posted:

I thought that was only at the end. Nimoy didn’t want to appear in one of Shatner’s Star Trek docs so Shatner secretly taped one of Nimoy’s speeches at some convention and used it without his permission. Nimoy never spoke to him again after that. That’s why Shatner has “other commitments” and couldn’t make Nimoy’s funeral.

During the series and movies they got along great.

I think they had issues during the series because Shatner wanted to be the center of attention, but Nimoy ended up being the character people fell in love with. As time went on, they became friends until Shatner betrayed that trust by secretly filming him. Basically, Bill is dumb as hell.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think they had issues during the series because Shatner wanted to be the center of attention, but Nimoy ended up being the character people fell in love with. As time went on, they became friends until Shatner betrayed that trust by secretly filming him. Basically, Bill is dumb as hell.

In an interview Bill basically admitted that he was an insecure jerk, and wasn't the best person to be around. I don't know if he recanted later, but that's seems to be Koenig and Takei's take on it as well.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Bogus Adventure posted:

Uh if it really was at a convention, then Nimoy had no reasonable right to privacy / not be filmed. Seems like it was more like Nimoy's fault, sadly :(

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Preston Waters posted:

Uh if it really was at a convention, then Nimoy had no reasonable right to privacy / not be filmed. Seems like it was more like Nimoy's fault, sadly :(

I think using it in a documentary which Nimoy expressly turned down being a part of is still a perfectly reasonable reason to feel betrayed and angry.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think they had issues during the series because Shatner wanted to be the center of attention, but Nimoy ended up being the character people fell in love with. As time went on, they became friends until Shatner betrayed that trust by secretly filming him.

And the result of the secret filming was Star Trek V

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

And the result of the secret filming was Star Trek V

hey. i'll fight u.

Final Frontier is my favorite, unironically.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The final clash was over the documentary, but Nimoy was almost replaced for season 2 of TOS, as well, because he was pissed off Shatner was making more money than he was., and because he had heard some crazy false rumor about Mission Impossible salaries. The show was even trying to decide between two actors to replace him....Mark Lenard (who had played a Romulan captain in Balance of Terror and would go on to play Sarek), and Lawrence Montaigne (who had played Stonn, T'Pring's lover in Amok Time)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

it is sad that over time the character of kirk has become conflated with the mess of real life shatner

kirk is actually a pretty level headed and accomplished captain during most of the first season of tos, even if the episodes themselves are not that good. ironically the scenery chewing only really starts to come through after it got more popular and he realised he had a big audience to play up to. by s3 half the budget was going on corsets and genes psychadelics

shat himself never really made up with nimoy, and he only acts like he made up with takei because takei has a huge social media presence now and he knows he can leverage that if he is seen to play nice

takei takes every opportunity to remind him what a racist homophobe he was back in the day though, which is never not hilarious

most of the cast seem to have stories about him being a dick, even relative to the fact that it was the 60s and a lot of people were dicks in general

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
See also the popular image of Kirk being a womanizer when he really was not, and people forgetting that one of Kirk's greatest strengths in TOS was his guile. Kirk was smart, clever, and in an awful lot of episodes he saved the day by outwitting the bad guy, not by running in punching, or by thinking outside the box enough to find a solution to the problem.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

All reasons why Kirk is best Captain. :colbert:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

takei takes every opportunity to remind him what a racist homophobe he was back in the day though, which is never not hilarious

I don't listen to a lot of Takei's stuff, but can you expand on the racism and homophobia?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Blistex posted:

I don't listen to a lot of Takei's stuff, but can you expand on the racism and homophobia?
it may be a combination of racism and homophobia but shat absolutely refused to engage with takei off screen at all, going as far as to just blank him the second the cameras were off. he constantly mispronouced his surname despite bring corrected multiple times (as gt himself says, 'its takei as in gay, not difficult to remember') and it seemed like shat didn't invite him to a bunch of things he invited everyone else to

its difficult to find older interviews from even 10 years ago where he was a lot angrier about it and was willing to talk about specific instances, instead of now, when he says that they are mostly fine

everyone seems to have stories about how shatner treat them like poo poo but takei put a lot of it down to racism over anti-japanese sentiment and homophobia once he came out

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on May 19, 2019

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

So in STO you go back to the Delta Quadrant (space portals are fuckin' everywhere now, jesus) with Admiral Tuvok and meet Neelix.

And then some snake rear end in a top hat just guns down a whole bunch of Talaxians just to piss Neelix off. Which doesn't work because he just gets sad instead like the Sad Man he is.

It's pretty great.

Sadly Neelix survives.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Neelix is many things, but his ability to survive stands out above everything else.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Bogus Adventure posted:

Neelix is many things, but his ability to survive stands out above everything else.

I figure he has only two settings - being sad himself, or making everyone else sad by being alive.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Quicksilver6 posted:

I figure he has only two settings - being sad himself, or making everyone else sad by being alive.

:laffo:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Bobby Deluxe posted:

it may be a combination of racism and homophobia but shat absolutely refused to engage with takei off screen at all, going as far as to just blank him the second the cameras were off. he constantly mispronouced his surname despite bring corrected multiple times (as gt himself says, 'its takei as in gay, not difficult to remember') and it seemed like shat didn't invite him to a bunch of things he invited everyone else to

its difficult to find older interviews from even 10 years ago where he was a lot angrier about it and was willing to talk about specific instances, instead of now, when he says that they are mostly fine

everyone seems to have stories about how shatner treat them like poo poo but takei put a lot of it down to racism over anti-japanese sentiment and homophobia once he came out

I remember an incident a while ago when Takei called Clarence Thomas out for one of his many idiotic rulings, and Shatner came to his defense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OImdMTeTfHU&t=54s

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Pick posted:

there are Horta crew in the comics as well

real good odds the books being referred to were written Diane Duane, same as those comics with the Horta

"wish the recruiter could see me now... see the galaxy, and be an interstellar scratching post!"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quicksilver6 posted:

God this reminds me of that Voyager episode where Neelix dies and finds out there is no god and then wants to kill himself

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

God this reminds me of that Voyager episode where Neelix dies and finds out there is no god and then wants to kill himself

I keep forgetting that when it comes to Voyager, every stupid joke you could ever make turns out to have been the plot to an episode somehow.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I keep forgetting that when it comes to Voyager, every stupid joke you could ever make turns out to have been the plot to an episode somehow.

How about, like, there's a road race that the crew has to win? With like racing team uniforms and everything. But with spaceships of course.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

How about, like, there's a road race that the crew has to win? With like racing team uniforms and everything. But with spaceships of course.

TOS novel did it first. It even ends with the Enterprise drifting through an explosion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Powered Descent posted:

The race itself takes up less than five minutes of plot in favour of B'Elanna thinking about breaking up with Tom for perfectly healthy reasons and instead deciding to marry him because.... plot?