Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I strictly use the NRAAS thing and overwatch, and that's about it. I'd say play for a while and get into a groove and then, if something bugs you, look for a mod or option to change it.

The Traffic module is also key since one major cause of slowdown is the game spawning a fuckton too many ice cream trucks.

Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Going through university in Sims 3, was invited to a kegger party, made out with the party host, turns out she was in a relationship. As they start to argue I decide alright, party is over and head on back to the dorm. As my sim runs out the door a song starts playing that goes "No no no no" and a blizzard hits as my sim runs all the way home.

Sims 3 is still good.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Now I'm coming home from the retail store to see the OTHER neighbor was in my bathroom. My neighbors keep breaking into my apartment, I play this game to get AWAY from reality!

Jesus christ this followed me from Sims 4 into Sims 3!

I don't even know these people!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Is there any pros/cons to buying Sims 3 on either Steam or Origin?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

if you do the origin access thing for $5 you get like 20% off that will save you more than $5 pretty quickly if you're buying a couple things at once

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Buy physical copies, redeem on both.

Also the only way you can get the Katy Perry pack, which you know you need.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

oh jay posted:

Buy physical copies, redeem on both.

Also the only way you can get the Katy Perry pack, which you know you need.

I drunk bought the Katy Perry Pack. This was years ago and a bottle of tequila was involved, so my memory is pretty hazy, but I remember having a sim have a bachelor party in one of those candy parks, the strippers coming out of the cake not working correctly, causing all of his friends getting mad because the party was awful, him not being able to go home because the game was still in "you are in a game event mode", so he ended up crashing on some kind of the cake themed bench from 3 AM - 6 AM, after which a randomly generated old lady sim wearing nothing but booty shorts and a bra with giant ice cream cones for tit covers tried to shoo him off the bench so she could sit there.

10/10 would drunk purchase again.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
For anyone who still doesn't have it, the base game of Sims 4 is free right now on Origin

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Allarion posted:

For anyone who still doesn't have it, the base game of Sims 4 is free right now on Origin

That's actually pretty cool.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Allarion posted:

Lol come on

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

So I'm reinstalling 3 now, I've worked out I literally used something from every other pack but the Katy Perry one.

Should I install it anyway

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Turns out my newest save was corrupted (only got partially backed up seemingly) and so I had to back to an older one from December

Here's the funny bit: I could've sworn the December one was the newest one but I must've started an entirely new save after that and completely forgot about it somehow. It's kind of funny because now it feels like I lost something but since I can't remember what it was I can neither recreate nor bring myself to really care.

Anyway Sims 3 still sucks lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Ruflux posted:

Turns out my newest save was corrupted (only got partially backed up seemingly) and so I had to back to an older one from December

Here's the funny bit: I could've sworn the December one was the newest one but I must've started an entirely new save after that and completely forgot about it somehow. It's kind of funny because now it feels like I lost something but since I can't remember what it was I can neither recreate nor bring myself to really care.

Anyway Sims 3 still sucks lol

How’s he performance for you?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Same as it ever was. I'm running a four person household in a pretty small (by Sims standards anyway) house in Bridgeport and it's okay when you sit still but once you start moving the camera around it's just constant lag spikes as usual. Dropping from a solid 60 fps straight to the 30s and sometimes high 20s and back again in a second. Really, it's tolerable solely because of the type of game this is but 4 comparatively performs so, so much better it's kind of inexcusable, open world or not.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Catalina posted:

I drunk bought the Katy Perry Pack. This was years ago and a bottle of tequila was involved, so my memory is pretty hazy, but I remember having a sim have a bachelor party in one of those candy parks, the strippers coming out of the cake not working correctly, causing all of his friends getting mad because the party was awful, him not being able to go home because the game was still in "you are in a game event mode", so he ended up crashing on some kind of the cake themed bench from 3 AM - 6 AM, after which a randomly generated old lady sim wearing nothing but booty shorts and a bra with giant ice cream cones for tit covers tried to shoo him off the bench so she could sit there.

10/10 would drunk purchase again.

lmao this alone makes me feel like I'm missing out

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

"Evil sims benefit in the pursuit of a Business Degree from Sims University"

Nevermind, forget what I said earlier, Sims 3 is the best game ever made lmao

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I've got Sims 4 and one or two expansions, and Sims 3 plus every expansion/stuff pack. I tend to stick with Sims 3 because it runs well on my computer and I like the open world. Feel like a bigger sandbox to play in.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

What magical computer do you have that The Sims 3 with every expansion runs well?

With every computer I've ever tried it on with more than a couple expansions, it quickly becomes a stuttering, slowdown filled mess. Tons of RAM, top of the line processors, fast SSDs, nothing makes a difference.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So what you're saying is Sims 3 is the Crysis of our generation.

The ultimate hardware test.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

It doesn't even tax my machine much at all. I leave Sims 4 running and my computer turns into a space heater and I can easily tell the difference in the room temperature. I leave Sims 3 on and the fans are slightly ramped up but not much and the exhaust air is slightly warm at best. It just has those annoying lag spikes that never go away.

e: I have to say, being a witch owns. I accidentally started a fire by canceling out a cooking interaction, not realizing my sim had already put something in the oven. So a fire broke out and I was like "oops" because I don't remember at all how fires used to work in the Sims. The alarm's going off so I guess the fire dept'll be here soon and I should just get my sim out of here, right?

Wrong. Because witches will autonomously just cast the ice blast spell and boom, fire's out and nothing's even burned. Just keep cooking like nothing even happened, I love it.

e2: Also the fireman showed up and was really bummed he missed the fire

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 23, 2019

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Sims 3 has been running ok for me so far, though there are bits where it'll drop in fps for a minute.

I think it may have something to do with this.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

What magical computer do you have that The Sims 3 with every expansion runs well?

With every computer I've ever tried it on with more than a couple expansions, it quickly becomes a stuttering, slowdown filled mess. Tons of RAM, top of the line processors, fast SSDs, nothing makes a difference.

It's not top of the line at all: gtx1080, 16gb ddr3 ram, I7 3770, and it's installed to an SSD. I run with all expansions and stuff packs and use the NRAA/overwatch mods for stability. It takes about 2 minutes or so to load into my household, and then from there it's usually a 40+fps experience.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Yeah, mine runs the same on fairly similar specs so long as I have overwatch and master controller cleaning things up for me. The one area that you can still get stuttering pretty bad from is pathing--there's a lot of routing errors that happen on the default maps. See https://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game%20Help:World%20Routing%20Lags for details.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I'm surprised at the stated performance figures here. I had an FPS counter running for a while just out of curiosity and microstutters and lagspikes aside the game was a surprisingly solid performer, pretty steadily in the 60 fps range. I don't even have Overwatch or MC or anything doing cleanup because they kept causing issues for some reason. Admittedly this also means no external story progression which should be an overall performance benefit.

This is on an OC'd i5-2500K, 8GB RAM, SSD and a GTX 670 for reference. This is pretty much the kind of performance I'm used to for 3 so it's kind of mindboggling that apparently it can run much worse even on better hardware.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I want to be fair that at least in regards to my performance, it's usually 60+. However I stated 40+ fps to account for any drops, which are usually minimal. 75% of the time I'm also in the 60+ range, and this is on a weird 2560x1080 resolution.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

Yeah that sounds about right, then. I do recall the Island Paradise map (which I used way back in the day) was absolutely horrendous though. Puppies would cause nightmarish amounts of errors because they'd be stuck on one floor of the house boats without access to food since they can't navigate stairs, among other things. It took like 5-8 minutes to load the save, compared to 1-2 for my current saves.

Plus the map itself kind of sucked too. No space to add in new lots, everything was folded into multifunction lots that make no sense (I have no clue how a military base is meant to operate inside the city hall in particular) and you needed a boat to navigate to some parts of the map. The resorts and exploration were pretty neat though, but overall I'd say that Sunlit Tides executes the tropical island concept far better.

In fact it's actually kind of weird how the paid worlds seem to be worlds apart (heh) from the expansion pack and base game worlds. I'm glad we got rid of that particular DLC scheme regardless. Not only were the worlds hella overpriced, they also tied a bunch of cool items to those worlds to entice people to buy them just for that. Combine that with putting more effort in the separately sold worlds and it starts to feel pretty goddamn scummy even for this series.

Ruflux fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 23, 2019

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The biggest performance issue I remember was whenever I would accidentally click on CAS it would set the game to a crawl for like 5 minutes straight, have you guys been running into that? Or now we all have SSDs has that worked itself out?

Tempted to give it another go. I never really cared about the open world but I feel like the collecting stuff (like rocks and poo poo) was a lot better in 3 than 4 for some reason.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Koramei posted:

the collecting stuff (like rocks and poo poo) was a lot better in 3 than 4 for some reason.

Cause there was an open world to go out and find everything :v:

matureaudiencesonly
May 6, 2009

I installed 4 since it's free right now and Im glad I didnt pay for this game. Coming from 3, it is so lifeless and small. Maybe Im not playing right (no tutorials loaded for me so I dont know what Im doing and it seems to be a new system of simlife), but the number of people to interact with and places to explore is teeny compared to 3. It's not scratching the dollhouse/escapism itch for me either, since I have fun designing homes and outfits and create-a-style is gone.

I definitely am going back to 3. Long loading times is worth it for a massive, living world for me. I havent needed to use overwatch before and I want to give it a shot, but it looks like the nraas site is down right now?

Graphics are for sure much nicer though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
drat, Guitar is like easy mode in Sims 3. Play in public, make friends without trying. If you're in Bridgeport you can play at a subway for hundreds of simoleons every half hour.

Why did I even get this degree, musician job and form a band?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I still kind of wish I could just mash 3 and 4 together. Sims 3 does have a lot of content (some of which is incredibly unpolished but whatever) and the open world to explore, but at the same time every single system in 4 works better and the game feels less user hostile as a result. CAS and Build/Buy are atrocious lagfests in 3 and the tools basically at level with Sims 2, i.e. a lot worse than 4 and missing many, many quality-of-life features. The game is incredibly ugly which kind of defeats the point of even having so many customization options but there is just so much to do here and so much potential for both storytelling and emergent gameplay.

It feels like you genuinely don't know what's gonna happen next in that game. Sure, the illusion is eventually broken and I personally get tired of the same five different opportunities repeating, but until that happens it just feels like a crazy amount of content and gameplay to dive into. I mean for God's sake there's a small, but random chance your sim might get hit by a meteorite anytime, anywhere. How could I possibly not love a game where that's possible?

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

matureaudiencesonly posted:

I definitely am going back to 3. Long loading times is worth it for a massive, living world for me. I havent needed to use overwatch before and I want to give it a shot, but it looks like the nraas site is down right now?
Are you accessing the right site? They switched from the old wikispaces site because the service provider shut down. The new site is simply https://www.nraas.net

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Leal posted:

drat, Guitar is like easy mode in Sims 3. Play in public, make friends without trying. If you're in Bridgeport you can play at a subway for hundreds of simoleons every half hour.

Why did I even get this degree, musician job and form a band?

There’s also a fun system? exploit? where for each individual song you play (as in selecting a specific song in the menu, not just choosing play guitar) your tips go up.

The fun part of that is that the counter of number of songs played increments when you start playing, not when you finish. So you can just queue up playing the same song 8 times, cancel each one immediately after you start playing (look for when your knees bend and music notes start coming out of the guitar). After about 1,000 times of this you will make thousands per tip.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I feel like I have more fun playing 3, while I have more fun designing lots/Sims in 4.

I never used to put a lot of effort into building in 3, but in 4 it's so Zen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'll probably fully commit to 4 when all of it's expansions/DLC come out and 5 is on the horizon. That's more or less what I did with 3. Keeps me ahead of the technology curve and don't have to wait years to get the "full" game.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I miss being able to custom-color literally everything, and I miss the old vacation worlds, but Sims 4 doesn't take 12 minutes to load and isn't quite as broken as 3.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I think an SSD will really help Sims 3 performance if it's not already being run on one. It's also useful in general to put your pagefile on your SSD so that it can be almost as fast as your RAM, which is what it'll be used for when RAM gets full.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I miss being able to custom-color literally everything, and I miss the old vacation worlds, but Sims 4 doesn't take 12 minutes to load and isn't quite as broken as 3.

Sounds like you don't have enough sims 4 mods installed.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
People give a lot of unnecessary hate to Sims 3 in my opinion that is formed from how they played it years ago. Today, on a modern system with an SSD the load times are not intolerable and the open neighborhood works mostly as promised, it's seamless and really intuitive to navigate. There are still some bugs but with NRASS they're manageable, and world adventures is actually playable with an SSD, which makes it my favorite exp pack in any Sims game ever. For me Sims 3 is just the pinnacle of the series and while 4 has improvements to lot design and the character creator, the dearth of content unless you put down a lot of money kills it for me. 4 just feels like a huge step back.

Ruflux posted:

Yeah that sounds about right, then. I do recall the Island Paradise map (which I used way back in the day) was absolutely horrendous though. Puppies would cause nightmarish amounts of errors because they'd be stuck on one floor of the house boats without access to food since they can't navigate stairs, among other things. It took like 5-8 minutes to load the save, compared to 1-2 for my current saves.

There's one family that cannot navigate to work and will try over and over which makes the map unplayable. If you delete the household the map is playable. That's Sims 3, baby.

YOURFRIEND fucked around with this message at 17:45 on May 24, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
It just depends on what you want out of a Sims game. A casual Sims player who just wants to watch goofy dudes do goofy poo poo will be fine with 4, but people looking for something deeper will be left wanting. I feel like Sims 3 didn't properly cater to the more casual crowd, to its detriment.